Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

He did do the soundtrack to Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai, which is a pretty great movie.

Exactly. He is awesome as a memeber of Wu-tang and otherwise making music (he and GZA also did the soundtrack for Kill Bill, if I remember correctly), but if he is acting in it, you can basically just write the movie off. Example: The Man with the Iron Fists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Aren't I struggling to not remember a Steven Seagal movie with RZA, some buddy prison-escape movie or some poo poo?

Onigami Nanashi
Aug 29, 2006
The truth is in here.
Somebody a couple of pages ago recommended Out of the Clear Blue Sky and I have to echo that recommendation. I watched it on a lazy Sunday morning a couple of weeks ago and ended up moping around the house for the rest of the day. I can't imagine losing 658 people in my lifetime, much less losing 658 employees from your company on one day.

In the same track of soul crushing documentaries, a bunch of years ago here somebody said to watch Dear Zachary, A Letter to a Son About His Father without looking to see what it's about or looking at a synopsis or anything. So I did. And spent the entirety of the movie weeping horribly. It's on Netflix now for anybody who wants to have their day ruined.

Edit: gently caress, both of these are found on US Netflix

Onigami Nanashi has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Jan 19, 2015

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Forever_Peace posted:

Touching the Void - About as intense as survival stories go. Man is left for dead with a broken leg on one of the most treacherous mountains in the world.
Going through the thread and adding new stuff to my queue (lol fuckers changed it to list because people can't spell queue probably), so anyway I just wanted to second this recommendation. Even my wife liked it!

As for some suggestions for the thread:

I have recently started re-watching Dollhouse - the first few episodes seem like the show could be a formulaic no long-term plot show, but if you give it time it opens up into a bit of a sci-fi / dystopian series that wraps up nicely.

Joyride sucks mainly because of the whiney kid voices on top of everything else and the one pair of tits can't save it.

Anaconda is bad but in a good way, nice to revisit the 90s with J-Lo "acting". Snakes on a Plane is superior of course but hey.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Totally TWISTED posted:

Anaconda is bad but in a good way, nice to revisit the 90s with J-Lo "acting". Snakes on a Plane is superior of course but hey.

Snakes on a plane is inferior to Anaconda.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Totally TWISTED posted:

I have recently started re-watching Dollhouse - the first few episodes seem like the show could be a formulaic no long-term plot show, but if you give it time it opens up into a bit of a sci-fi / dystopian series that wraps up nicely.

Wasn't like the entire first season hooker of the week episodes and then you get that dvd only episode that shows a dystopian future. And then it was announced that there wasn't going to be a season 3 and season 2 was interesting just for it to never return?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Gaunab posted:

Snakes on a plane is inferior to Anaconda.
I may be biased to anything containing Samuel L. Jackson.

Len posted:

Wasn't like the entire first season hooker of the week episodes and then you get that dvd only episode that shows a dystopian future. And then it was announced that there wasn't going to be a season 3 and season 2 was interesting just for it to never return?

I think after the first 3-4 episodes the extended storyline starts to develop, albeit under the guise of hooker of the week episodes so I can certainly see where you're coming from. The end of S1 has a "future" sort of episode and then you have S2 + it's final episode on Netflix (no idea about the DVD only thing since I've only seen it on netflix). I do wish they'd had a way to do a S3 though, you're totally right that S2 is better than S1 and I think that trend could have continued and wrapped up better with a third installment.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Totally TWISTED posted:

I may be biased to anything containing Samuel L. Jackson.

I think after the first 3-4 episodes the extended storyline starts to develop, albeit under the guise of hooker of the week episodes so I can certainly see where you're coming from. The end of S1 has a "future" sort of episode and then you have S2 + it's final episode on Netflix (no idea about the DVD only thing since I've only seen it on netflix). I do wish they'd had a way to do a S3 though, you're totally right that S2 is better than S1 and I think that trend could have continued and wrapped up better with a third installment.

I remember it was a big deal because they thought they wouldn't get renewed so they released a finale on the first season DVD. Now on Netflix the last episode of the first season is that finale. There was a lot of build-up in the first season and I think it mostly paid off in the second. Everybodys a doll

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Aren't I struggling to not remember a Steven Seagal movie with RZA, some buddy prison-escape movie or some poo poo?

I believe you are thinking of Half Past Dead with Ja Rule. Pretty terrible in its own right, but I feel like with a Steven Seagal movie you know what you are getting in to.

"I'm going to take you to the bank, Senator Trent... the blood bank."

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

1redflag posted:

I believe you are thinking of Half Past Dead with Ja Rule. Pretty terrible in its own right, but I feel like with a Steven Seagal movie you know what you are getting in to.

"I'm going to take you to the bank, Senator Trent... the blood bank."

"Terrible pun action" is my favorite bad genre. Does that make sense?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RZA did the music for the Blade movies and those are a national treasue.
No, not that "National Treasure". That movie was a Blade: Trinity.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Rolo posted:

"Terrible pun action" is my favorite bad genre. Does that make sense?

Totally. *Pierces bad guy with a pipe through a steam pipe* "Let off some steam."

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Totally TWISTED posted:

Did you spot the backwards waterfall?

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
I watched Frank on netflix.

You should too.

I didn't even know what it was about. I saw that big-rear end goofy head and I remembered a Colbert Report last year where Michael Fassbender and Maggie Gyllenhall were singing some weird indie song.

It all makes sense.
Everything makes sense.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Everyone who like Snowpiercer should check out this great review:

http://the-toast.net/2015/01/22/meat-processing-professional-reviews-snowpiercer/

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

withak posted:

Everyone who like Snowpiercer should check out this great review:

http://the-toast.net/2015/01/22/meat-processing-professional-reviews-snowpiercer/

It did hit on one of my biggest WTF?! issues with Snowpiercer, at least. bug bars, bad; baby flesh, good

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

Netflix just added The Interview.

I had a sneaking suspicion it would end up there eventually. But a month after it's opening weekend, that's kinda nuts

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Vulgar posted:

I had a sneaking suspicion it would end up there eventually. But a month after it's opening weekend, that's kinda nuts

This movie is dumb as hell but the interview with Eminem at the beginning is pretty dumb comedy gold.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

That movie isn't even so bad it's good

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

That movie isn't even so bad it's good

Yeah it is just thoroughly mediocre in every way and would have just been a forgotten film if not for all the controversy.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Vulgar posted:

I don't know how many times I can click "NOT INTERESTED" before Netflix gets out of my face about it.

Hulu has an original called QuickDraw, which I love. It's a comedy western set in like, the 1870s; but everyone talks as if they're completely cognizant of how backwards justice and frontier living is at that time. I definitely laugh, chortle or snortle on every episode. I don't hear anything about it anywhere, so I worry no one is watching it.
I couldn't find many clips, but here's a couple.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/522156
http://www.hulu.com/watch/690598#i1,p0,d1

Comedy Central's Broad City is on Hulu now too, and that's really drat funny.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 04:29 on Jan 27, 2015

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I liked The Interview and James Franco was my favorite because he's funny.

:colbert:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Rolo posted:

I liked The Interview and James Franco was my favorite because he's funny.

:colbert:

It is a stupid movie, but it is also funny, well worth the price of Netflix. Especially when you're living with someone to share the cost and then you compare that to the cost of a movie ticket. Definitely not a movie worth seeing in theaters.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

If you've never given Peep Show a shot, I highly recommend it. It takes an episode or two to get going, but the third season forward is 100% gold.

In the same vein (i.e. British Television), Black Adder is pretty good (the second season in particular), if a little more high brow.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Frank is really, really good. You should watch it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

By Jupiter's cock! Spartacus is up on Netflix!

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

Holy poo poo, I've been wanting to watch this, thanks for the heads up!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

ninjahedgehog posted:

Oh my God!! :woop: It's also on Netflix Mexico, hell yeah!

Ah,yes. Frank is awesome. Watch it.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Horns is up on Netflix. I wasn't even sure what to expect but it was pretty good.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

jodai posted:

Horns is up on Netflix. I wasn't even sure what to expect but it was pretty good.

I agree. Didn't go into it thinking it'd be a supernatural murder mystery, but despite the flimsy set-up, Radcliffe has grown into a fine actor before our eyes.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

1redflag posted:

If you've never given Peep Show a shot, I highly recommend it. It takes an episode or two to get going, but the third season forward is 100% gold.

Peep Show is one of my favourite sitcoms ever made, but a warning to people who haven't seen it before: you will watch at least some of it through your fingers. It perfected cringe comedy.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Spartacus is in my top five favorite tv shows. The first few episodes are still trash though.

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010
So since it hasn't been said for at least two pages I'm just going to say that Black Mirror is one of the most fun/interesting things I've ever seen on Neftflix.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

fleshy echidna posted:

So since it hasn't been said for at least two pages I'm just going to say that Black Mirror is one of the most fun/interesting things I've ever seen on Neftflix.

Someone compared this to Twilight Zone and I agree except that the twist is usually closer to the middle of the episode so it isn't so much "Whoa, isn't that crazy? The end" it's more like "Whoa that's crazy and look, this is just how this reality works. Life moves on and it's just business as usual for everyone here." I think it lessens the initial shock of whatever twist happens in an episode but it leaves a longer lasting impression. Also, the moral isn't spelled out directly so each viewer can take a different idea from the same episode and that leads to interesting discussions.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just make sure you give it a chance past the first episode, because hooboy that one's a bit polarizing

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"Hello, mother-in-law? You want to watch something? Well my best friend says this Black Mirror show is like the Twilight Zone, I know you like that sort of thing..."

That was an awkward cocktail hour.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Halloween Jack posted:

"Hello, mother-in-law? You want to watch something? Well my best friend says this Black Mirror show is like the Twilight Zone, I know you like that sort of thing..."

That was an awkward cocktail hour.

Well, at least on the Wii and my Blu-ray player the description even compares the two....and on my parents Roku. They went into it blind and were a bit surprised after the first episode. I guess Netflix could have different descriptions on other machines.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
The Kid with a Bike on Netflix

The Dardennes brothers are some of the greatest filmmakers working today, all their films are must-sees but this is the only one available to stream on Netflix. Watch it now.

Also the latest Ming-liang Tsai film Stray Dogs just got put up, I'm about to watch it...

Chef Tony
Jun 13, 2005

The Miracle Blade will stay sharp the first time, the fourth time, everytime!
Danger 5 is now on Netflix. I only know of it from gifs, so I watched a trailer then added that mofo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

ninjahedgehog posted:

poo poo yes!

I first saw the first season of this on Netflix, and then they actually showed the pre-quel season same-day as it was airing. I've never seen that on Netflix, but episodes came out the same day as they aired on TV. Then it was gone... just, gone.

Spartacus actor 2 can't hold a candle to 1, but the show's good enough, it's OK. Naevia 2 can just go die somewhere though.