Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
I'm watching it right now and these guys really hate clothes. Like they've killed enough legionaries to kit out their whole gang with armor and stuff, but nope, just leather undies and greaves, thanks. Shields and helmets are for sissies, bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

empty sea posted:

Can't remember where I got the recommendation to watch Detention from but this movie is crazy. It's like huffing the 90's repeatedly.
Yes. That is a perfect description.

Another one, I think, would be to say that it's Not Another Teen Horror Movie, but without announcing itself as a parody movie, and with more character development.

Also, Josh Hutcherson was Executive Producer for that movie. At 19 years old. Jesus Christ.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Halloween Jack posted:

Yes. That is a perfect description.

Another one, I think, would be to say that it's Not Another Teen Horror Movie, but without announcing itself as a parody movie, and with more character development.

Also, Josh Hutcherson was Executive Producer for that movie. At 19 years old. Jesus Christ.

It's hard to encapsulate that movie - not to like oversell it or anything, but it's really unusual.

It's like a parody of teen horror, while also being a parody of a teen horror parody, [plus 2-3 meta-layers], and in addition, it's not a parody.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

fleshy echidna posted:

So since it hasn't been said for at least two pages I'm just going to say that Black Mirror is one of the most fun/interesting things I've ever seen on Neftflix.

just watched all of the episodes over the last two nights. I didn't think The National Anthem (ep 1) was as bad as people made it seem. The whole series was great, I really enjoyed it. Only one I didn't really care for was The Waldo episode. Didn't have the same feel as the rest of them.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Is there anything else like Star Wars: The Clone Wars out there? The mix of of simple but still effective writing and the intro recaps made it amazingly easy to fall asleep to.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Captain Lavender posted:

It's hard to encapsulate that movie - not to like oversell it or anything, but it's really unusual.

It's like a parody of teen horror, while also being a parody of a teen horror parody, [plus 2-3 meta-layers], and in addition, it's not a parody.

I went into it expecting garbage and left quite happy. The Scream franchise wishes it was that clever, but Scream is too far up its own rear end to really do anything well.

I gave Blood Glacier a watch on Netflix and it's good time. Mostly practical effects, sprinkled with some mediocre CG. It reminded me of The Thing...if it was a bit goofy. It has some sad parts though :(.

Watrick has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Feb 11, 2015

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
How goofy are we talking? The Thing is already more than a bit goofy.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

For the American and Canadian goons,if you don't have cable and don't want to wait, Better Call Saul is on Netflix Latinamerica(and Europe), every Tuesday a new chapter will be up.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Loki_XLII posted:

How goofy are we talking? The Thing is already more than a bit goofy.

The denouement involves the main character and his ex-girlfriend adopting a litter of dog-human hybrid babies made from his DNA.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Lamprey Cannon posted:

The denouement involves the main character and his ex-girlfriend adopting a litter of dog-human hybrid babies made from his DNA.

Yep. That about sums it up.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I started watching MASH. I somehow blocked it out that there's a black guy called "Spearchucker".

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Some thoughts on Arrow.

- Wow, the characters are way more compelling and believable than I anticipated for a hokey comic book series.
- It's the CW, so everybody looks like a Calvin Klein model.
- The writers seems to have a great grasp of plot and pacing, and a passable grasp of dialogue, but the understanding of literally everything else is right around "15 seconds on wikipedia" level.
- This is the first time I have watched anything on TV where the lighting and sound mixing is so bad, it's actually acutely distracting. Like, I'm not anal about this in the slightest and don't know a thing about how it usually works, but I really hate having to constantly turn the volume up for dialogue and down for action multiple times an episode, and all the characters are bizarrely shiny from multiple improbable directions.

Forever_Peace has a new favorite as of 15:34 on Feb 11, 2015

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
Check out the first two seasons of The Americans on Amazon Prime.. it's really good.

Also, if you haven't watched West Wing, it's all on netflix and is awesome.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Forever_Peace posted:

This is the first time I have watched anything on TV where the lighting and sound mixing is so bad, it's actually acutely distracting. Like, I'm not anal about this in the slightest and don't know a thing about how it usually works, but I really hate having to constantly turn the volume up for dialogue and down for action multiple times an episode, and all the characters are bizarrely shiny from multiple improbable directions.

This may be your particular setup or something. I'm pretty anal about mixing and I've never noticed that or issues with lighting.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Goons with VPN, I recommend to you a TV series named "El Barco" (The Ship). Although it feels more like a soap opera, it's quite entertaining. I would say it's something like Spanish Lost, but in a ship instead of an island. Sadly, I think it doesn't have English subtitles.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

This may be your particular setup or something. I'm pretty anal about mixing and I've never noticed that or issues with lighting.

My setup is nice but I have to agree on the sound being pretty awful in the first season.
Now, the worst offend of lovely sound mixing is the DVD of Mars Attacks. It's actually impressive how bad it is.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

My setup is nice but I have to agree on the sound being pretty awful in the first season.
Now, the worst offend of lovely sound mixing is the DVD of Mars Attacks. It's actually impressive how bad it is.

Yeah it's gotten better in season 2. It's definitely the only show where I have to do this, though. Maybe it is just some kind of bizarre interaction between my setup and the sound, but it's really intrusive and really noticeable.

And seriously Squarejaw, this doesn't look shiny to you? You don't see all the crazy angles that light is coming from here? Or that everybody has shadows going in different directions here?

It's clearly a stylistic choice, but man does it just end up looking waaaaay overdone. Like, we get it: he's the green arrow.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Bruiser posted:

Check out the first two seasons of The Americans on Amazon Prime.. it's really good.

I have to second that recommendation; I think "The Americans" is one of the best shows currently on the air and if you like spy stories then you'll definitely like this one. It does a really good job of evoking the feelings of paranoia along with the threat of imminent war that I remember pervading the air when I was a kid in the early 80s. It's also drat good at sucking you into the tense moments and keeping you on the edge of your seat. It's pretty much everything that ABC's "The Assets" (which was completely terrible) tried and failed to be. The action sequences and fight scenes are great too, and I never knew how much I wanted to see Keri Russell kick a guy's head through the wall until I saw it happen in season 1. Go watch it now! Amazon Prime has seasons 1&2 available so you can catch up for season 3 which just started a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4D96fPl_hI

E: Amazon Prime also has "The Dog", a documentary about the guy that inspired "Dog Day Afternoon", John Wojtowicz. It also has a bunch of stuff about the early days of the gay rights movement, which Wojtowicz was pretty heavily involved with. The whole story is really interesting and definitely worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqE90Y2q88w

the future is WOW has a new favorite as of 04:56 on Feb 14, 2015

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
Recently I've noted some things on Netflix from the "8 nights of horrorfest" collections from the last decade. Once a year, Lionsgate or whoever, would distribute 8 films per year for like 3-4 years from a B-movie collection. Most were poo poo; maybe 1-2 good ones -- by good, I mean passable.

Saw a couple on there.

Mulberry Street was a really good zombie film akin to the original [Rec], where the inhabitants are locked in a tenement. However, since it's New York City, the zombies aren't zombies, they're Skaven. I really liked it.
The Deaths of Ian Stone I thought was pretty interesting. It's got some body horror/torture scenes here and there, but Edge of Tomorrow took some influence from its main plot mechanic. Good stuff.
Another good one is The Hamiltons.

Danger 5, a whacky Australian series influenced by 60s spy films requires a particular taste, but its first season is up, and it's golden -- but not platinum, as it's humor won't reach everyone.
The meta-sequel of the 70s cult classic and progenitor of slasher films The Town that Dreaded Sundown is on netflix. It's worth a watch.

Nazi Zombies! Dead Snow 2 is available, and absolutely relishes to be as gory and stupid as possible. Its spiritual influences from Dead Alive is in every head-crushingly silly and graphic scene.

Did no one see that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze hit instant? Go Ninja Go Ninja Go!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
brain games on netflix is a fun little show about how your brain works with some little fun games for you to play along with

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Vriess posted:

Nazi Zombies! Dead Snow 2 is available, and absolutely relishes to be as gory and stupid as possible. Its spiritual influences from Dead Alive is in every head-crushingly silly and graphic scene.

So is it worth a go if I liked the first one?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rolo posted:

So is it worth a go if I liked the first one?
Yes. It is way goofier and in English, but the protagonist is the lone survivor from the first one.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Oldstench posted:

Frank is really, really good. You should watch it.
Whoa. That was way higher caliber than what I expected. Camera work could be better but I love the script and casting. Not the ending i expected. Or, hell, the beginning I expected.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Trollhunter is awesome. It's like if the premise of Supernatural was real and Bobby Singer had a van in Norway instead of a house full of books in South Dakota. Basically an old Norwegian dude hunts trolls as a living and some dumb kids decide to follow him around with cameras. Because that would end well. It's subtitled and the trolls are legitimately scary. Nothing in this movie feels like they made it to be a B-movie, no cheap thrills, no dumb comedic lines, etc. It's all very seriously done and I loved the poo poo out of it unironically.

Also I liked Love a lot, mostly because it's basically Space Odyssey 2001 in a more modern setting and without ever leaving Earth/Earth orbit. Beautiful movie with a haunting ending.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

So I breezed through the first season of Sirens today and I have to say I really liked it. I won't say it's the best comedy on TV but as someone interested in medicine and also sitcoms it was definitely enjoyable.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RedneckwithGuns posted:

So I breezed through the first season of Sirens today and I have to say I really liked it. I won't say it's the best comedy on TV but as someone interested in medicine and also sitcoms it was definitely enjoyable.

I'm an EMT, and the medicine part is weird for me- it gets some stuff right and some stuff wrong. Like how they don't do CPR at all on the pulseless anaphylactic patient in the first episode, even while they wait for the Epipen to kick in. If there's no pulse the epi isn't going to go through his system at all, and even when you're putting the pads on any cardiac arrest patient, one person is going to be doing compressions and breaths. But then they'll get little details right, like how they always check level of responsiveness right off the bat.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I'm an EMT, and the medicine part is weird for me- it gets some stuff right and some stuff wrong. Like how they don't do CPR at all on the pulseless anaphylactic patient in the first episode, even while they wait for the Epipen to kick in. If there's no pulse the epi isn't going to go through his system at all, and even when you're putting the pads on any cardiac arrest patient, one person is going to be doing compressions and breaths. But then they'll get little details right, like how they always check level of responsiveness right off the bat.

Yeah it's a comedy so I'm not watching it for accuracy, but I definitely recommend it for the comedy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Yeah it's a comedy so I'm not watching it for accuracy, but I definitely recommend it for the comedy.

Yeah, you just mentioned the "as someone interested in medicine" bit so I figured I'd chime in on that. It seems like a decent enough comedy, and I liked Rescue Me until it crawled up its own rear end, so I wanted to like it. Turns out dramatic license is easy to accept until you're watching your job.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, you just mentioned the "as someone interested in medicine" bit so I figured I'd chime in on that. It seems like a decent enough comedy, and I liked Rescue Me until it crawled up its own rear end, so I wanted to like it. Turns out dramatic license is easy to accept until you're watching your job.
Sort of like how every IT professional cringes whenever someone enthusiastically tells them they have to watch Chuck or The IT Crowd?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

coyo7e posted:

Sort of like how every IT professional cringes whenever someone enthusiastically tells them they have to watch Chuck or The IT Crowd?

Why would anyone cringe about watching IT crowd?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Oldstench posted:

Because they aren't IT'ing correctly.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

coyo7e posted:

If only they could be so lucky.

It's always the Big Bang Theory.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Oldstench posted:

Because anything after the first season is meh?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Len posted:

Because anything after the first season is meh?

Look at this wrong opinion and laugh.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Oldstench posted:

You can't get the whole internet into one box like that. Who would believe that?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Oldstench posted:

It's all a matter of whether their affected anglophilia trumps their affected hatred of laugh tracks.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
They should be watching Peep Show instead

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fishstick posted:

They should be watching Peep Show instead

Agreed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Oldstench posted:

Look at this wrong opinion and laugh.

Does Denholm Reynholm come back to life? If not it's the right opinion. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Len posted:

Does Denholm Reynholm come back to life? If not it's the right opinion. :colbert:

"The Work Outing" isn't in season 1, ergo, season 1 can't be the best season. :smugdog: