Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m trying to find a good show to put on as background noise while I fall asleep. I usually go for stuff like Mythbusters or How It’s Made for that kind of thing, but Hulu is missing most of the old episodes. Any suggestions?

If you have amazon prime I watch Psych to fall asleep. Its not mechanical but there's something about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

i flunked out posted:

If you have amazon prime I watch Psych to fall asleep. Its not mechanical but there's something about it.

It’s pleasantly, competently bland. I mean that as a compliment as well. It’s 7up and saltines tv.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

i flunked out posted:

Oh, nice, I thought that went off prime a few months ago. Probably just their godawful search. That was always a favorite of mine for falling asleep, because you're right, it's pretty comfortably bland.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I burned my vacation days this week and intended to watch lovely horror movies but ended up watching Gravity Falls on Disney+

Turns out it was a pretty good time

HouseOfLeaves99
Mar 20, 2009
The guy on Forensic Files has a nice calm voice. Even when he's talking about a triple murder then rape crime, he never gets that loud. I fall asleep to that or Intervention.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HouseOfLeaves99 posted:

The guy on Forensic Files has a nice calm voice. Even when he's talking about a triple murder then rape crime, he never gets that loud. I fall asleep to that or Intervention.

Oh my yes. I’ve already used all the ones that are on Netflix for that exact purpose. I might give intervention a shot.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Got a Disney+ trial so I figured I’d get caught up on the last 10 or so years of Simpson’s I missed.

I know the old seasons are considered the best but this is downright terrible, even as background noise. Decided to skip through and just watch the Halloween specials and I can’t do that either.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rolo posted:

Got a Disney+ trial so I figured I’d get caught up on the last 10 or so years of Simpson’s I missed.

I know the old seasons are considered the best but this is downright terrible, even as background noise. Decided to skip through and just watch the Halloween specials and I can’t do that either.

No one should ever watch the new Simpsons.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
It's weird how I consider The Simpsons to be my favorite show and I still have no interest in watching 2/3rds of the episodes

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Deadite posted:

It's weird how I consider The Simpsons to be my favorite show and I still have no interest in watching 2/3rds of the episodes

It had a run there that was truly remarkable, like, during most of the 90s but it’s been painful to watch for almost twenty years now. I have no idea why Fox keeps it going at this point. The ratings can’t be that good.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Their 666th episode was the Treehouse of Horror this year and it still sucked out loud.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
One of the segments this year was a Stranger Things sendup where Lisa was the 11 analogue and the twilight realm was something dumb like the Oopsie Doopsie instead of the Upside Down.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Is it possible to put the apps on that console, and should he or I move out simply remove my accounts from them? If so that seems pretty easy.
Yeah you can deauthorize them from, like, the Netflix account management tab. Or just change the passwords.

I've found the Roku has a really good selection of apps. The PS4 is ok but not as slick.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 02:52 on Nov 26, 2019

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

It's pretty well documented that the early Simpsons had great writers and nobody has had that magic since then or even give an effort.

Like I tried watching the new Halloween special and it feels soulless and by the numbers.

It's almost like the jokes was just created by committee to fulfill an obligation. There's just no passion.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ineffiable posted:

It's pretty well documented that the early Simpsons had great writers and nobody has had that magic since then or even give an effort.

Like I tried watching the new Halloween special and it feels soulless and by the numbers.

It's almost like the jokes was just created by committee to fulfill an obligation. There's just no passion.

https://youtu.be/KqFNbCcyFkk

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

That was a good watch and he’s right about the street sweeper joke being, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdz4bc2LGMM

Perfect.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Edit: wrong thread

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

mysterious frankie posted:

Roku TVs are the best. We have a 720 TCL in the bedroom, it was dirt cheap and it’s great. If and when the overpriced Samsung in the living room dies it’s probably being replaced with the biggest 4K Roku they got.

This is from like 2 weeks ago but I'll second TCL Roku. A 55" 4k TV was like $300 and it's great. Got it when they discontinued support for Xbox 360 Netflix, I use a PC (or snes) for gaming now, didn't really have a desire to get the next gen as a Netflix device

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rolo posted:

That was a good watch and he’s right about the street sweeper joke being, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdz4bc2LGMM

Perfect.

Yep. And most specifically, that's a joke that simply does not work with a laugh track. There's no pause to fit it in. It isn't just simple Buildup A -> Punchline B.

Instead its a quick rhythm of A -> B -> C -> D and each builds the comedy of the scene bit by bit and flows into the next.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I liked Easy on Netflix. It looks like it will just be about sex but if you actually watch it it's pretty funny and sometimes poignant. I hope they keep making that one.
I also watched Dollface on Hulu and it's a bit odd but pretty funny.

Dixville has a new favorite as of 00:52 on Dec 21, 2019

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Reprisal on Hulu was great, imo. Really strong female lead character, interesting weaving storylines, good blend of humor and drama, fun world building, none of the episodes really feel like padding, etc. my wife and I highly recommend.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated, the only good Scooby Doo, is on Netflix again

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
they got some good stuff on hulu

rave reviews on amazon!

e: For an actual recommendation, Hulu recently added all 3 Cube movies. Cube is decent, and I would recommend if you enjoyed Saw. Do not watch Cube 2: Hypercube or Cube Zero. Don't do it.

Olive! has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Jan 11, 2020

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Excuse me but Cube 2 and 3 are a must watch because they are bananas.
1 is a classic that I still love and 2/3 go off the goddamn rails.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So mom enjoyed Game of Thrones, up until season 5. We tried The Witcher but the loving time skips (without it being labeled as such. Seriously a loving timestamp at the bottom, year 1873 would have saved so much. Same with loving location) did in her interest pretty fast. That and the fact most of the loving names of every city run together.

So what shows are similar to Game of Thrones, but with a good ending?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

So mom enjoyed Game of Thrones, up until season 5. We tried The Witcher but the loving time skips (without it being labeled as such. Seriously a loving timestamp at the bottom, year 1873 would have saved so much. Same with loving location) did in her interest pretty fast. That and the fact most of the loving names of every city run together.

Do you want specifically fantasy, or just...epic fighting, political backstabbing, and the such?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Cowslips Warren posted:

Spartacus has a load of violence and sex and it's very easy to follow.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Spartacus has a load of violence and sex and it's very easy to follow.

I would recommend watching Spartacus. I would not recommend watching Spartacus with your mother.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Watch Spartacus with your mother you coward.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lucy Lawless' tits are family friendly

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m trying to find a good show to put on as background noise while I fall asleep. I usually go for stuff like Mythbusters or How It’s Made for that kind of thing, but Hulu is missing most of the old episodes. Any suggestions?

Travels by Narrowboat on Amazon Prime has been a godsend for this. A Brit quits his lifestyle to buy a narrowboat and sail along the thousands of miles of UK waterways. He does all the filming himself, and there are a lot of scenes with no dialogue, just lapping water and the sounds of British countryside and towns. It is supremely relaxing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Watch Spartacus with your mother you coward.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Travels by Narrowboat on Amazon Prime has been a godsend for this. A Brit quits his lifestyle to buy a narrowboat and sail along the thousands of miles of UK waterways. He does all the filming himself, and there are a lot of scenes with no dialogue, just lapping water and the sounds of British countryside and towns. It is supremely relaxing.

I will give this a shot tonight, thanks!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

Kind of a left field answer, but Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. It's surprisingly good and does a lot.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Cowslips Warren posted:

Vikings? Spartacus is good but tonally very different, it's super campy and ridiculous but that's also exactly what makes it worth watching.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Bug Squash posted:

Kind of a left field answer, but Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. It's surprisingly good and does a lot.

It’s GoT with puppets and highly underrated. Watch AoR, thread.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Rome
Tudors
Borgia
The Borgias
Last Kingdom
Vikings
Spartacus
Marco Polo

Uhhhh....

E: ooh, dark crystal is a good call

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cowslips Warren posted:

We tried The Witcher but the loving time skips (without it being labeled as such. Seriously a loving timestamp at the bottom, year 1873 would have saved so much. Same with loving location) did in her interest pretty fast. That and the fact most of the loving names of every city run together.

I can’t figure out what they were trying to do with that. It didn’t add anything besides making the plot difficult to follow for no real payoff.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Zaphod42 posted:

Rome
Tudors
Borgia
The Borgias
Last Kingdom
Vikings
Spartacus
Marco Polo

Uhhhh....

E: ooh, dark crystal is a good call

I can vouch for Rome and Tudors.

Freeway is one of the free movies on Plex, and it's a riot. Would recommend to pretty much everyone, it's just lovely.

The scripting feels stilted and the shots get weirdly uncomfortable at times, but man is it charming.

It feels infinitely quotable. So good.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Just finished Informer on amazon.
British show that came out on prime a year ago.

6 episodes but it didn’t feel terrible my rushed. Good character development and although I wasn’t a huge fan of the ending it was still a good watch overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Letterkenny might be my favorite show ever.