Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Today I learned that Hulu made a tv series out of High Fidelity, starring Zoe Kravitz as Rob and it comes out tomorrow. Unclear whether this will be the greatest thing ever or whether it will be terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Rolo posted:

Letterkenny might be my favorite show ever.

:respek:

I wish I hadn't of binge watched it like I did so I could enjoy more of it.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Field Mousepad posted:

:respek:

I wish I hadn't of binge watched it like I did so I could enjoy more of it.

Re watch it, you’ll find more funny I think I’ve watched it all 3 times

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

Re watch it, you’ll find more funny I think I’ve watched it all 3 times

Anything to watch the spelling bee episode again. The hockey boys had me crying.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rolo posted:

Anything to watch the spelling bee episode again. The hockey boys had me crying.

Riley and Jonesy are the best

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The gay guy's wedding is one of my favorite episodes of any series ever

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Field Mousepad posted:

The gay guy's wedding is one of my favorite episodes of any series ever

I'm a big fan of Canada gooses

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Rolo posted:

Iv' been hearing good things about LetterKenny, is it enjoyable if you know nothing about canadian stereotypes and such?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Fishstick posted:

Iv' been hearing good things about LetterKenny, is it enjoyable if you know nothing about canadian stereotypes and such?

I've had a blast watching it. Parts of season 1 are a bit rough before it funds its footing but it's really good

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Len posted:

I've had a blast watching it. Parts of season 1 are a bit rough before it funds its footing but it's really good

The fartbook episode sucks, but by and large I thought S1 was really enjoyable... except for when Gail is on screen but that’s not just an S1 problem. Her whole thing of coming on to people who really don’t want her to is offputting.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The first and second season it seems like they're trying to be too clever with the wordplay joke stuff but after that they started focusing on writing better jokes.

It legit gets better every season.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Fishstick posted:

There is some slang (mostly hockey related) I looked up. But its not necessary at all.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Fishstick posted:

Yes because like me you’ll start off completely in the dark and slowly pick up more and more.

Like said it takes a little to find its footing but the characters are some of the best on tv, especially Riley and Jonesy.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Rolo posted:

Yes because like me you’ll start off completely in the dark and slowly pick up more and more.

Like said it takes a little to find its footing but the characters are some of the best on tv, especially Riley and Jonesy. Shoresy

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
gently caress you, Shoresy!

*fart*

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mr. Right is on Netflix.

It's Sam Rockwell and Anna Kendrick at their most manic. It's weird as hell but I love it.

It also has the line, "If I put my gun down do you promise not to use karate?"

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I just started Letterkenny a couple nights ago and yeah the fartbook episode was pretty bad, but still had its moments. Seasons 2 and 3 just got better and better and I'm going to start season 4 sometime today. This show's been recommended to me by so many people and I just never checked it out. I think it was because I was conflating it with Trailer Park Boys for some reason and I couldn't get into that show at all.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hulu now has Wings

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Is the animated spinoff Littlekenny worth watching? I’m iffy about most animated comedies coming out lately.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Is the animated spinoff Littlekenny worth watching? I’m iffy about most animated comedies coming out lately.

It's like 20 minutes long and is basically just cold opens in cartoon form

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
to add to the above post, total, not per episode. it's probably not even that long. it's kinda cute but ultimately there's better ways to spend a few minutes if you don't have ad free hulu.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

oldpainless posted:

Hulu now has Wings

Like the one where you wonder if the Hackett Brothers are going to be able to “Hackett” in the airline industry?

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

My thing with Letterkenny - I'm on season four and it went from "genius, hilarious tv" to "just an excuse to do wordplay for 20 minutes per episode then shoehorn in 5 minutes of plot".

I've heard one or two people say "haha I know it's hilarious and keeps it up for three more seasons!" But is that true? Or do they tone back the "people sitting around doing wordplay for five minutes, three times per episode" stuff?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Season 4 felt like the weakest season to me. It definitely gets better from there.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I was made aware of LetterKenny because of this thread, and it's one of my new favorite shows......PUSSY. Fisky....

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I think in season 5 they started replacing some if the wordplay stuff with music. Like fight, chase, montages set to music and no dialog for minutes at a time. It was really weird, but the music is typically really good and I got used to it after a while. Season 6 was by far the weakest for me, don't think they got more than a chuckle out of me until like episode 5 or 6 that season.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Inspector 34 posted:

I think in season 5 they started replacing some if the wordplay stuff with music. Like fight, chase, montages set to music and no dialog for minutes at a time. It was really weird, but the music is typically really good and I got used to it after a while. Season 6 was by far the weakest for me, don't think they got more than a chuckle out of me until like episode 5 or 6 that season.

Season 7 fell the flat est for my wife and I. The whole call-in Ag show just dragged and was dull. Newest season was a return to previous reasons, though!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

10 Beers posted:

Season 7 fell the flat est for my wife and I. The whole call-in Ag show just dragged and was dull. Newest season was a return to previous reasons, though!

See, I didn't like much of Season 8 because of the whole boyfriend character and storyline. It seems so out of place for Katy to be in a serious relationship with someone like that, as she's shown as smart, confident, and strong throughout the whole series.

I didn't mind the Ag show, really. And I agree with the person upthread that said the Spelling Bee episode was fantastic.

BigBallChunkyTime has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Mar 6, 2020

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

See, I didn't like much of Season 8 because of the whole boyfriend character and storyline. It seems so out of place for Katy to be in a serious relationship with someone like that, as she's shown as smart, confident, and strong throughout the whole series.

I didn't mind the Ag show, really. And I agree with the person upthread that said the Spelling Bee episode was fantastic.

Yeah, the whole thing with Katy was weird for sure.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Grassy Knowles posted:

Like the one where you wonder if the Hackett Brothers are going to be able to “Hackett” in the airline industry?

Yes, that one

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

And I agree with the person upthread that said the Spelling Bee episode was fantastic.

“Riley and Jonesy can’t spell for poo poo!”

“loving idiots!”

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So I've posted about the Bad Ben movies a few times and uh Nigel just reached for the stars on this one.

Apparently since he dropped the first movie Amazon has changed how they pay out and now it's not worth it to self publish to Amazon video. So his solution was make his own streaming service. Bad Ben TV is a thing that exists, it has its own Roku channel, and right now it has the 7 bad Ben movies plus a backyard wrestling thing that updates weekly.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cross-posting from the HDTV thread:

Anyone have experience with (or know anything about) the Xfinity Flex? I got an email from them saying I can have one (with a voice remote) for free, included with my internet service. My roommate is moving out and obviously taking his XBox with him, so I was thinking of ordering a Roku but is this just as good? Or a hard pass?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITANKISSER69 posted:

Cross-posting from the HDTV thread:

Anyone have experience with (or know anything about) the Xfinity Flex? I got an email from them saying I can have one (with a voice remote) for free, included with my internet service. My roommate is moving out and obviously taking his XBox with him, so I was thinking of ordering a Roku but is this just as good? Or a hard pass?

Got it tonight and set it up. Some brief observations:

Pros:
- It's free
- Free sub to Peacock Premium

Cons
- No Disney+ or CBS All Access (not really surprising)
- HBO only available via Comcast sub (I recently cut cable and switched to HBO Now)

During the initial setup I asked to name it, so I took the first suggestion "Living Room". I found the device's response to the remote to be laggy. Also Netflix would crash when launching, and Amazon Prime Video would freeze when trying to load.

There's a settings menu at the very bottom of the main page with a restart option buried in it, after restarting the device its response time to the remote was way better. I had to name it again and it became "Living Room 2". All the apps I already signed into were still signed in, and I was able to get both Netflix and Prime working with no issues.

I'd love to find out if the Xfinity remote it comes with will work with my trusty old Logitech Z-5500s.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
looking for a tv show i watched on netflix forever ago when it was first starting streaming and it had poo poo like fido as the only good movie on it.

its about two teens in a post apocalyptic thing where it doesnt really get into why the world ended the show is just about the two kids hanging out and doing poo poo. i think the main character is trying to find batteries or some poo poo. one was white and one was black. in one episode the black kid takes the white kid to where he grew up and it was a black supremisist camp.

i remember it being pretty decent but also they shot it clearly somewhere in humbolt on a semi low budget because they are in a sequoia forest pine forest for most of the show.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
“The Great” on Hulu is an extremely fictionalized comedy about Catherine the Great. I’m five episodes in and it’s very good so far. If you enjoyed “Harlots” it has the same great costuming, sets, and wicked humor.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I love harlots!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Check out The Vast of Night on Amazon Prime. It’s a zero budget film about a radio dj working with a switchboard operator to track down the source of a bizarre transmission one night in the 50s, and it works so drat well. The leads play well off of one another and the cast/script in general nails the small town social structure, where the high school basketball game clears the streets, everyone is juuuust shy of basically being in one big extended family and they’ll find any excuse to bring up the one piece of interesting news that has occurred there in forever (a small mammal chewed through a very important wire once, and the controversy regarding what kind of small mammal it actually was).

Really solid watch, charming performances, good direction, good script, punches well above it’s budget overall. Nothing bad to say about it, really.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Upload on Amazon was fun and I enjoyed it very much.

It's a show about the afterlife, only you pay on Earth to have your consciousness uploaded to a corporate-run "heaven" of sorts. It has just the right amount of plot development and utter ridiculousness (in a good way.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Knives Out is on Prime and it's in my top 3 of the last year.