Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Y'all gotta watch Seis Manos, especially if you liked Castlevania, holy gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That's where it ends? What the gently caress

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bad Ben 7 is going to stream live on Facebook tonight at 7pm EST and 10PM EST in case anyone other than me has been watching the series

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Just remembered that Amazon Prime has a bunch of old HBO series for free, so I’m watching Generation Kill before that new HBO streaming services comes online and they likely have to black it out on Amazon

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

1redflag posted:

Just remembered that Amazon Prime has a bunch of old HBO series for free, so I’m watching Generation Kill before that new HBO streaming services comes online and they likely have to black it out on Amazon

I thought all that stuff expired in 2018. Cool that they still have it- if the first two seasons of Veep are still on there, watch those too.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

best bale posted:

This goon gets it

And for content: it’s probably been mentioned before but new season of schitt’s creek is on Netflix and entire series is absolutely hilarious. Took me a few episodes to get into it bc the tone was mean but it was only used to show family’s growth into actual people.

Fine, I'll try watching it again. I bounced hard on the first 2 episodes of Schitt's Creek, but I keep hearing nothing but universal love for it, so I'll push though.

And yeah, cable is just awful. I went without a subscription for years, and then when I moved to my home town and hung out with my folks, I saw that the commercial situation was even worse than before. There's an ocean of commercials now in the middle of a show, and no commercials between episodes. It is completely diabolical, and absolute torture to sit through.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Captain Lavender posted:

Fine, I'll try watching it again. I bounced hard on the first 2 episodes of Schitt's Creek, but I keep hearing nothing but universal love for it, so I'll push though.

And yeah, cable is just awful. I went without a subscription for years, and then when I moved to my home town and hung out with my folks, I saw that the commercial situation was even worse than before. There's an ocean of commercials now in the middle of a show, and no commercials between episodes. It is completely diabolical, and absolute torture to sit through.

That's not even touching on how some channels speed up shows and movies to fit more commercials

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Len posted:

Bad Ben 7 is going to stream live on Facebook tonight at 7pm EST and 10PM EST in case anyone other than me has been watching the series

How was it?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

He had computer problems and it didn't start until late. I only caught a little bit before calling asleep. It's supposed to hit Amazon next week though

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Len posted:

That's not even touching on how some channels speed up shows and movies to fit more commercials

I was about to say! I was sitting somewhere with a TV on and I noticed it when I wasn’t even watching the thing. The intro will play at like 1.5 when it’s just music, 1.3 when there’s words, then the whole episode plays at like 1.1. It sounded so weird until I realized it was on purpose. This is between the same car insurance commercials every 5 minutes.

We have break rooms we use at work when we’re sitting, and it usually goes:

“Wanna watch something?”
“I’d rather leave it off if it doesn’t matter.”
*puts on two hours of Two and a Half Men.*

It’s like boomer crack.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rolo posted:

I was about to say! I was sitting somewhere with a TV on and I noticed it when I wasn’t even watching the thing. The intro will play at like 1.5 when it’s just music, 1.3 when there’s words, then the whole episode plays at like 1.1. It sounded so weird until I realized it was on purpose. This is between the same car insurance commercials every 5 minutes.

We have break rooms we use at work when we’re sitting, and it usually goes:

“Wanna watch something?”
“I’d rather leave it off if it doesn’t matter.”
*puts on two hours of Two and a Half Men.*

It’s like boomer crack.

I'm the only person I know who notices it. Everyone else just shrugs and goes "it sounds and looks fine to me" but you can tell. Everything is just slightly off enough that it dries me crazy.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Rolo posted:

This is between the same car insurance commercials every 5 minutes.

If an insurance agency put out like one big cross-media ad a year, on a single day, that just said "Hi, we're X insurance, and this is the only advertisement you'll see from us for 365 days because we don't spend all of our money on horrible marketing, passing those savings onto you!" I would actually switch providers in a heartbeat.

Jesus loving Christ if I see one more PROGRESSIVE ON ICE commercial I am going to Elvis my TV the gently caress up.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Len posted:

He had computer problems and it didn't start until late. I only caught a little bit before calling asleep. It's supposed to hit Amazon next week though

When I heard "streaming live on facebook", that's about what I expected I guess. I think I have a couple to catch up on but i'll check it out when it does.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Adblocks with a whitelist saved my sanity. Anyone watching broadcast TV is a chump of the highest order.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Len posted:

I'm the only person I know who notices it. Everyone else just shrugs and goes "it sounds and looks fine to me" but you can tell. Everything is just slightly off enough that it dries me crazy.

As someone who has watched a lot of online lectures and continuing education at 1.3 -> 2x speed, I also notice it. You can tell because everyone’s dialogue sounds like they are speaking without ever taking a breath.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When I heard "streaming live on facebook", that's about what I expected I guess. I think I have a couple to catch up on but i'll check it out when it does.

It's live on Prime.

Edit: it's a pro watch and top 3 Bad Ben movies

Len has a new favorite as of 00:48 on Nov 6, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Can anyone confirm what version of Muppet Christmas Carol is on Disney+? Does it have the cut song?!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Beats me, but it says 1992, 1 hr 26 min.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I just checked. No song, she just gets up and leaves. That's very disappointing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

jodai posted:

I just checked. No song, she just gets up and leaves. That's very disappointing.

Gross. If they really wanted to bring everything back out they would release the real version the cowards

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

"When Love Is Gone" was a song performed by the character Belle (portrayed by Meredith Braun) as she laments that Scrooge's love of money has replaced his love of her. The song itself was deleted from the original 1992 theatrical edition by Jeffrey Katzenberg of Walt Disney Studios, who believed that the following scene would not appeal to young children. Instead, the song appeared in (and was played during) the end credits scene.[28] Director Brian Henson objected to this decision as the concluding song, "The Love We Found", was a direct counterpoint to it.[12]

It's a shame it was removed, but to be fair, from my memories watching the VHS version as a young child (which did have the song) they were right about it not appealing to young children. :v:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Regy Rusty posted:

"When Love Is Gone" was a song performed by the character Belle (portrayed by Meredith Braun) as she laments that Scrooge's love of money has replaced his love of her. The song itself was deleted from the original 1992 theatrical edition by Jeffrey Katzenberg of Walt Disney Studios, who believed that the following scene would not appeal to young children. Instead, the song appeared in (and was played during) the end credits scene.[28] Director Brian Henson objected to this decision as the concluding song, "The Love We Found", was a direct counterpoint to it.[12]

It's a shame it was removed, but to be fair, from my memories watching the VHS version as a young child (which did have the song) they were right about it not appealing to young children. :v:

It also doesn't appeal to most adults. It's a very dull song that fails to carry the emotional weight assigned to it.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
It feels weird to see it without the song because I had only ever seen it on VHS. I find it strange that on DVD or cable, they didn't have that version and I think that when they took it out, they should have edited around it because the scene feels really abrupt. Rizzo and Gonzo are in tears over what amounts to a lady dropping a quick burn on her ex.

You should still check it out for the Mandalorian, especially if you like muppets.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So what's the preferred plug-in streaming device? My smart TV is several years old, Netflix still works but Hulu crashes often and the Amazon video app no longer works. It's a great TV but aside from its smart apps, all I have are a couple of even older Blu-Ray players and I'm not sure it's worth trying to see if their apps are still any good.

I'm considering getting Disney+ (Brad's Deals has a deal for that+Hulu+ESPN+ for $13/mo) so I'll need to be able to add apps as needed. So what's the breakdown between a Roku, AppleTV, and anything else?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I hear good things about Roku. Chromecast is probably the cheapest/easiest option

e:Oh I missed the bluray thing. Yeah just get a console, best bang for your buck

Opopanax has a new favorite as of 19:50 on Nov 13, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Retro Futurist posted:

I hear good things about Roku. Chromecast is probably the cheapest/easiest option

That’s good for streaming only, but you can also get a used PS4 at about a hundred bucks if you want streaming+blu rays.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

jodai posted:

Rizzo and Gonzo are in tears over what amounts to a lady dropping a quick burn on her ex.

Rizzo bawling his eyes out at the song doesn't make any more sense tbh

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

So what's the preferred plug-in streaming device? My smart TV is several years old, Netflix still works but Hulu crashes often and the Amazon video app no longer works. It's a great TV but aside from its smart apps, all I have are a couple of even older Blu-Ray players and I'm not sure it's worth trying to see if their apps are still any good.

I'm considering getting Disney+ (Brad's Deals has a deal for that+Hulu+ESPN+ for $13/mo) so I'll need to be able to add apps as needed. So what's the breakdown between a Roku, AppleTV, and anything else?

Get a PS4.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I like our Roku, it seems more reliable than the Chromecast was but they're about even price.

A PS4 isn't a bad suggestion but it takes up more room and runs more. Depending on the room you're looking to stream in it might not be feasible. Like we've got a Roku in the bedroom but the tv is wall mounted and there's nothing to keep a PS4 on so it wouldn't work.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just to clarify, I only have a few discs and I rarely watch, but when I do I just pop them into my roommate's XBox1S. Is it possible to put the apps on that console, and should he or I move out simply remove my accounts from them? If so that seems pretty easy.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

We've got 2 Roku TVs and two Roku Express devices. They're super easy to set up and use. I've never understood the love for the Chromecast. A Roku Express is within a few dollars of a chromecast and doesn't require yet another device to make it work.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mammal Sauce posted:

We've got 2 Roku TVs and two Roku Express devices. They're super easy to set up and use. I've never understood the love for the Chromecast. A Roku Express is within a few dollars of a chromecast and doesn't require yet another device to make it work.

It also plays along much nicer with iOS from my anecdotal experience

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Just to clarify, I only have a few discs and I rarely watch, but when I do I just pop them into my roommate's XBox1S. Is it possible to put the apps on that console, and should he or I move out simply remove my accounts from them? If so that seems pretty easy.

Yeah dude just use the xbox

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Mammal Sauce posted:

Roku TVs are the best. We have a 720 TCL in the bedroom, it was dirt cheap and it’s great. If and when the overpriced Samsung in the living room dies it’s probably being replaced with the biggest 4K Roku they got.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I like my Roku boxes more than the Roku tv I got, because the tv doesn't have the wifi remote or the headphone jack on the remote...

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Get a roku with a remote (all of them?). Chromecast is fine and casting tabs from your laptop mostly works well, but using your phone as a remote is really terrible when you want to mute a really loud commercial or pause quickly (unlocking your phone, switching apps to the streaming one, waiting a good 6 seconds for the chromecast to update the app, reconnecting the app to the chromecast if the app has been idle for too long). A physical remote is so much easier and the roku app has a soft remote if the regular one is too far away.

Also Apple, Sony, Google, and Amazon occasionally get into slapfights about their content stables, so one of those apps will disappear from the others’ platforms with no warning until they patch things up.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

brocked posted:

I like my Roku boxes more than the Roku tv I got, because the tv doesn't have the wifi remote or the headphone jack on the remote...

You can use the Roku app to do that. I stream the audio from the tv to my phone and listen to it through headphones when my wife is sleeping.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m trying to find a good show to put on as background noise while I fall asleep. I usually go for stuff like Mythbusters or How It’s Made for that kind of thing, but Hulu is missing most of the old episodes. Any suggestions?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m trying to find a good show to put on as background noise while I fall asleep. I usually go for stuff like Mythbusters or How It’s Made for that kind of thing, but Hulu is missing most of the old episodes. Any suggestions?

New Yankee Workshop?
Or maybe Stopan on YouTube. He's a bookbinder and his videos are really chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I always watch MST3K to fall asleep. The movies are always slow, the jokes and skits are never loud, and all of the episodes are free on YouTube.