Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Whoa. That was way higher caliber than what I expected. Camera work could be better but I love the script and casting. Not the ending i expected. Or, hell, the beginning I expected.

Seriously, that was a trip. Pro find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froglight
Oct 5, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

I don't know how many times I can click "NOT INTERESTED" before Netflix gets out of my face about it.

Hulu has an original called QuickDraw, which I love. It's a comedy western set in like, the 1870s; but everyone talks as if they're completely cognizant of how backwards justice and frontier living is at that time. I definitely laugh, chortle or snortle on every episode. I don't hear anything about it anywhere, so I worry no one is watching it.
I couldn't find many clips, but here's a couple.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/522156
http://www.hulu.com/watch/690598#i1,p0,d1

Comedy Central's Broad City is on Hulu now too, and that's really drat funny.

I loving loved Quickdraw, that show is pure joy. One of those 'smiling the whole time' kinda shows. It's worth saying that it's basically all improv too.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
New Robocop hit Netflix today. Understandably so, I'm 75% through it and it feels nothing like Robocop.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Fishstick posted:

They should be watching Peep Show instead

This guy gets it. The king of cringe comedy, and one of the best sitcoms ever made.

Plus it has a character called Super Hans, whose every line is solid comedy gold.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thanks to this thread I'm starting Spartacus. Interesting to see some of the cast from Arrow walking around all naked-like.
Does this show get not poo poo after the first two episodes and please tell me they stop with the awful CG blood.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Inzombiac posted:

Thanks to this thread I'm starting Spartacus. Interesting to see some of the cast from Arrow walking around all naked-like.
Does this show get not poo poo after the first two episodes and please tell me they stop with the awful CG blood.

Yes, and no. The CGI blood stays but the show hits a good stride like 5-6 episodes in.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Horns was alright. Not really anything special but not the worst. Could have cut 20-30 minutes from it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I think I like Dinosaurs more as an adult than I did as a kid.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

coyo7e posted:

Sort of like how every IT professional cringes whenever someone enthusiastically tells them they have to watch Chuck or The IT Crowd?

As an IT professional I will say The IT Crowd is great.

Fishstick posted:

They should be watching Peep Show also

Fixed.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Gaunab posted:

Horns was alright. Not really anything special but not the worst. Could have cut 20-30 minutes from it.

Watched it last night, and yeah, I was ready for it to be over forty minutes before it ended. It wasn't bad just terribly meh.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I read the book and felt about the same, so I guess they didn't deviate too much

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rolo posted:

I think I like Dinosaurs more as an adult than I did as a kid.

I never realized how many jokes in that show flew right over my head as a kid until Netflix picked it up.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Just watched Chef, which I highly recommend. I like Jon Favreau's work generally, but this one was particularly good about not falling into tropes, etc. Very positive (if not a little bit unrealistic), especially if you are going through a transitional part of your life.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

I would recommend Housebound as an incredibly well done horror movie (that has elements that make it work even for non-horror fans). I don't want to give too much away - just watch it.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

Inzombiac posted:

First Season has poo poo CG, but by s2E1 it is much improved/layered with practical. I liked it all, but it feels like it picks up after the first few.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I would recommend Housebound as an incredibly well done horror movie (that has elements that make it work even for non-horror fans). I don't want to give too much away - just watch it.

Just watched this on Netflix and came here to post the same thing. I don't really like horror, and I still got a real kick out of this movie. It's far more black comedy than anything else, and there are several brilliantly funny moments. Attacking the villain with a cheese grater was my personal favorite.

I also hugely enjoyed the fact the protagonist is a pissy, pain in the rear end woman who has no problem bashing people's heads in. A lady after my own heart.

FoxTerrier has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Feb 28, 2015

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I agree, Housebound was pretty good. It goofed with conventions in a pretty decent way.

I watched A Coffee In Berlin on a lark and really enjoyed it. It's a talky-young-adult-angst movie, but its a good one.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
Robocop (2014) went on Netflix Instant.

I really don't want to watch it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Vriess posted:

I watched it and then immediately watched the original to wash the taste out of my mouth.

More important than stupid remakes, Robocop and Robocop 2 are both on Netflix and are both still excellent for all the right reasons.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Vriess posted:

It's pointless. It completely lacks the story and grit of the original. Hell even Detroit itself in the new one doesn't look like a bad place to live.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Rolo posted:

It's pointless. It completely lacks the story and grit of the original. Hell even Detroit itself in the new one doesn't look like a bad place to live.

That's pretty much the entire point, it's satirizing modern-day police militarization and the ubiquitousness of white collar crime just like how the original satirized the crime and politics of the 80s.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Vriess posted:

I thought it was okay, but nothing special.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I love Horror in almost all of its forms. I watched the first ten minutes of Smiley and goddamn is it terrible. There is a Bloody Mary type figure that appears when you type "I did it for the lulz" three times during a video chat. I gave up when the characters started talking about how they knew each other from /b/.

On a positive note The Prowler was a good watch. Sub part plot, it has a generic plot of every early slasher movie, but the kills were bloody and graphic. It washed the poo poo taste of Smiley out of my mouth.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
I don't know if it's new to Netflix or not, but Chinatown is up and it loving rules

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Bussamove posted:

I watched it and then immediately watched the original to wash the taste out of my mouth.

More important than stupid remakes, Robocop and Robocop 2 are both on Netflix and are both still excellent for all the right reasons.

Netflix JUST axed Robocop 2 and 3 unfortunately.

I had completely forgotten about the show Grounded for Life until it popped up recently.

I may be just watching out of nostalgia, but it's a pretty serviceable sitcom if you ask me. I consider it right at like, the death of sitcoms? You know, before Everybody Loves Raymond and the rest of the "after-death" sitcoms. I'm not explaining what I mean well, but sitcoms for the last 10 years feel like vestigial zombies of the genre.

Anyway, I think Grounded for Life is full of all that 90's sitcom garbage that hasn't aged well, but it's also got a lot going for it. The casting is great, and there are some good gags in every episode. It goes from being a "lol 90's" show to one with more modern references by the end. It's just kind of a weird hybrid show I think. And Uncle Eddie is one of my favorite sitcom characters.

If you just want an upbeat show to just have on that you don't have to overfocus on, it fits that bill. I also had completely forgotten how big Donal Logue was for a few years.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 04:37 on Mar 3, 2015

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
I used to get Donal Logue and Sean Bean mixed up in the 90s.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Captain Lavender posted:

Netflix JUST axed Robocop 2 and 3 unfortunately.

I had completely forgotten about the show Grounded for Life until it popped up recently.

I may be just watching out of nostalgia, but it's a pretty serviceable sitcom if you ask me. I consider it right at like, the death of sitcoms? You know, before Everybody Loves Raymond and the rest of the "after-death" sitcoms. I'm not explaining what I mean well, but sitcoms for the last 10 years feel like vestigial zombies of the genre.

Anyway, I think Grounded for Life is full of all that 90's sitcom garbage that hasn't aged well, but it's also got a lot going for it. The casting is great, and there are some good gags in every episode. It goes from being a "lol 90's" show to one with more modern references by the end. It's just kind of a weird hybrid show I think. And Uncle Eddie is one of my favorite sitcom characters.

If you just want an upbeat show to just have on that you don't have to overfocus on, it fits that bill. I also had completely forgotten how big Donal Logue was for a few years.

Its an extremely good background noise sitcom.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

That's pretty much the entire point, it's satirizing modern-day police militarization and the ubiquitousness of white collar crime just like how the original satirized the crime and politics of the 80s.

As much as I prefer the original and wish the remake had been inventive enough to tell a story without cribbing from the "established universe" I still think 2014 worked and agree with Sleeveless' points.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Sleeveless posted:

Though I agree with this, I also feel that the message is somewhat undermined by the fact that the main character gets blown up with a land mine right outside of his own quiet suburban home; the way the film presents it, this increasing militarization seems kind of reasonable. You don't even have the angle of the original film which implied that OCP was deliberately putting officers in harm's way in order to sell their robot police officer/have a corpse for the Robocop program. And at least for me, the film lacks any kind of emotional punch, so regardless of whether or not I agree with the film's message, it never does anything to make me care. That being said, there are a couple of touches to the movie that I liked:

1. Samuel L. Jackson playing Glenn Beck, and his weird warm-up mouth noises.

2. In the background of a bunch of shots you can see folks with signs protesting the replacement of human workers with robots. Nobody ever actually mentions this, and I think it's a cool representation of the way reality is filtered through the media lens.

3. When Murphy wakes up in China, as a robot, he freaks the gently caress out and runs outside. The run he does, with his torso moving straight forward while his arms and legs flail, is the goofiest loving thing.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Fresh Prince posted:

Its an extremely good background noise sitcom.

And the mom was really hot, iirc.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I watched this last night and it was excellent. Likeable characters, good fx, good writing and story, and it kept me interested the whole way through. This gives me even more hope in modern horror.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
Paycheck is up. John Woo directs a Philip K Dick adaptation. Not very good, but watch it for Michael C. Hall's srs government man voice.

Also some scenes feel like a sneak peak at Ben Affleck as Batman.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Paycheck is up. John Woo directs a Philip K Dick adaptation. Not very good, but watch it for Michael C. Hall's srs government man voice.

Also some scenes feel like a sneak peak at Ben Affleck as Batman.

I like it. It's a fun future-tech film. And, it happens to have one of my all-time favorite movie scenes in it:

*uses prognostication machine, sees self die in the future*

"Oh gently caress I better get out of here before that hap-"

*takes one step, immediately dies*

:allears:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Nymphomaniac Vol. I and II are on Netflix. Probably going to watch just out of curiosity.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

syscall girl posted:

And the mom was really hot, iirc.

She's the hot mom on the block.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
If you liked 30 Rock, go watch Tina Fey's new netflix show Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. It's fantastic.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

drk posted:

If you liked 30 Rock, go watch Tina Fey's new netflix show Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. It's fantastic.

drat you! I was just about to post this.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gaunab posted:

drat you! I was just about to post this.

Came here to post it as well.

Good poo poo.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

drk posted:

I wasnt grabbed by the trailer for this show, but after 2 episodes, I really like it. I think this might be the best possible role for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

drk posted:

Started watching it this morning and yeah agreed this is pretty drat good. I'm on episode 7 or 8 already and I'm looking forward to finishing it tonight.