Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I just finished binging through the Ghost Adventures Collection 2 on Netflix and it's fantastic. Just the right blend of stupid, bros and spooky. Unlike similar shows although they are all true believers, there is very little talk about Jesus, reconstructions or airtime given to hokey mediums.

Highlights include:
Using a kinnect to go ghost hunting
Getting grabbed on the butt by a ghost after trying to 'lie down' with a plaster manniquin of said 'ghost's equally dead daughter
Having a staring contest with/being terrified by a raccoon (which they initially think is an evil spirit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Coatlicue posted:

Anyone else watching Top of the Lake? It's a mini series about a girl that goes missing in a small remote New Zealand town. It reminds me a lot of Twin Peaks. Really sad though. I had to take breaks between episodes. This is on Netflix.

Love this show but still have not managed to watch the last episode for that reason. The Hinterland has a similar vibe and pops up on Netflix every so often. There is a new season due out, so if its not on now it will be very shortly.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
It's only available as a DVD right now, but periodically cycles back into streaming, Pandorum has a similar hard sci-fi feel and themes. Similarly Cargo, which is a Swiss German movie (in English) on Amazon right now, about life in space with a action-horror flavour.

Also not a movie but anyone who enjoyed Infini would enjoy the Stasis game (it's the reason I was tempted into watching it to begin with).

For anyone in the UK who wants more spooky poo poo for Haloween, Area 51 is up on Netflix right now. It's by the Paranormal Activity guy and is suprisingly good. I absolutely hate aliens and all the ufo crap, but still enjoyed it despite myself. It has a similar flavour to Banshee Chapter (also worth watching) which is about MK-ULTRA and Hunter S Thompson types.

Another slightly offbeat one is The Objective, about special forces in Afghanistan. It's absolutely not a SJW/OORAH type thing and has a nice twist on the horror genre.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Goddamn.
That's pretty great if you need white noise to sleep and also... light. Uh. Maybe it's for fussy babies?

I put these on when I study to block out the actual ambient noise of my flat block which is 90% screaming children and drum and bass. I can imagine people might use them for meditation and stuff too.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Overall I've enjoyed all three; I'd recommend Hinterland if you want bite-sized chunks and Broadchurch if you want a season-long epic, but Happy Valley isn't too distant of a third choice. I'm going to run out of Hinterland eventually; any more dark and moody atmospheric crime dramas to add to my list on Netflix or Amazon, or do I have to join Hulu too?

Top of the Lake is very good and on Netflix. I'm assuming you've seen the Killing and the Bridge? I'm not sure where its available but River also has a similar vibe.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
The Cave is enjoyable pab, particularly when compared with Sanctum. Filmed in Australia and they closest they managed to get to Pacific Islanders in casting was putting one African guy in a fright wig.

The Descent is way better than either, but it's by the guy that did Dog Soldiers so no surprise there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Castlevania is based on a direct-to-DVD project that Warren Ellis wanted to do. It's likely that the 1st season is like, the first 1/3 of the script/movie. I think it would've been truly godawful if it was just people running around and slicing monsters with no characterization or over-arching story. You can go watch EPIC FLASH BATEL on youtube if that's really what you want.

It is completely ridiculous that Netflix only gave the go ahead for 4 episodes though. They would have been much better of releasing it OVA style with one slightly longer episode.