Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Legend of the Drunken Master is probably one of the best kung fu films ever made, and is on Netflix right now. Stunts include Chan literally throwing himself into a bed of real burning coals.

There's also a host of great documentaries on netflix right now.

I recommend:

The Act of Killing. The filmmakers sought out leaders of the death squads that killed half a million Indonesian people during the anti-communist purges of the 60s, and asked them to dramatically recreate their executions in order to "tell their story". The result is totally unlike any other film I have ever seen. From IMDb: "THE ACT OF KILLING is about killers who have won, and the sort of society they have built. Unlike ageing Nazis or Rwandan genocidaires, Anwar and his friends have not been forced by history to admit they participated in crimes against humanity. Instead, they have written their own triumphant history, becoming role models for millions of young paramilitaries. THE ACT OF KILLING is a journey into the memories and imaginations of the perpetrators, offering insight into the minds of mass killers. And THE ACT OF KILLING is a nightmarish vision of a frighteningly banal culture of impunity in which killers can joke about crimes against humanity on television chat shows, and celebrate moral disaster with the ease and grace of a soft shoe dance number."

The House I Live in - Awesome documentary on the actual consequences of the War on Drugs, with an emphasis on the people who all feel caught up in a dysfunctional and unstoppable system.

How to Survive a Plague - A close-up recounting of the AIDs-rights activist group during the crescendo of the AIDs pandemic. Just go watch the trailor - this is not a movie you want to miss. These folks were probably the most important activists since the civil rights movement, orchestrating some pretty astonishing direct actions. There is film of dozens of men and women carrying the ashes of their dead lovers through the streets of Washington and casting their bones onto the White House lawn.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi - recommended elsewhere in this thread. Just nthing it.

Touching the Void - About as intense as survival stories go. Man is left for dead with a broken leg on one of the most treacherous mountains in the world.

Wish I had found this thread earlier. Looks like Netflix isn't carrying When We Left Earth or Art & Copy anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Some thoughts on Arrow.

- Wow, the characters are way more compelling and believable than I anticipated for a hokey comic book series.
- It's the CW, so everybody looks like a Calvin Klein model.
- The writers seems to have a great grasp of plot and pacing, and a passable grasp of dialogue, but the understanding of literally everything else is right around "15 seconds on wikipedia" level.
- This is the first time I have watched anything on TV where the lighting and sound mixing is so bad, it's actually acutely distracting. Like, I'm not anal about this in the slightest and don't know a thing about how it usually works, but I really hate having to constantly turn the volume up for dialogue and down for action multiple times an episode, and all the characters are bizarrely shiny from multiple improbable directions.

Forever_Peace has a new favorite as of 15:34 on Feb 11, 2015

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

My setup is nice but I have to agree on the sound being pretty awful in the first season.
Now, the worst offend of lovely sound mixing is the DVD of Mars Attacks. It's actually impressive how bad it is.

Yeah it's gotten better in season 2. It's definitely the only show where I have to do this, though. Maybe it is just some kind of bizarre interaction between my setup and the sound, but it's really intrusive and really noticeable.

And seriously Squarejaw, this doesn't look shiny to you? You don't see all the crazy angles that light is coming from here? Or that everybody has shadows going in different directions here?

It's clearly a stylistic choice, but man does it just end up looking waaaaay overdone. Like, we get it: he's the green arrow.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Gideon's army is a really good documentary about public defenders. Holy hell is the criminal justice system here beyond hosed.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Woah. The Americans is really good. Compelling characters, nicely shot, great use of visual metaphor, and just the right amount of nostalgic humor. Might stick with this one.

Amazon prime only it seems.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

coyo7e posted:

know who thinks that middle aged and post middle aged punks who travel around the world are embarrassing? Children. It isn't like he is still sporting his leather jackets covered in anarchy symbols and hell,most of Bourdains tattoos showed up during the show, not 20 years ago.

The Offspring and Blink 182 are embarrassing old punks.

He still has his obnoxious moments. See: going to Madagascar and trying to convince the locals that eco-tourism makes them all sellouts to colonialism.

But Parts Unkown is saved by really gorgeous cinematography and a really smart production team. Seasons 1 and 2 in particular are great (I've probably watched the Noma episode - s2e5 -somewhere around 4 or 5 times).

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

The new one is pretty good.

Nah.

Some Netflix recommendations:

There's a documentary up about Yosemite Rock Climbing called Valley Uprising that is loving awesome, and will probably give you vertigo.

The Imposter is pretty mind-bending.

After Tiller was one of the most strikingly intimate documentaries I've seen in a long while. Thoughtful and nuanced.

American Experience: The Poisoner's Handbook has been free on PBS since it came out, but it's also on Netflix if you've missed it and prefer the format. It's typical cheesy PBS dramatizations mixed with narration, but holy poo poo the stories are impossibly compelling. It's about the investigations of the first ever Medical Examiner of New York, who basically invented modern forensic science. It's very good (the book is also great if you prefer the stories without the cheese).

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Dear White People (netflix) is hysterical. Some of the best-written dialogue I've seen in a while. Episodes are short, and each follows a different character - easy to get hooked.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

syscall girl posted:

The theme gets stuck in my head so well too.

They did a Song Exploder on it recently, really good.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

First episode of Sense8 had intriguing bits but also lots of weird monologues and ponderous dialogue. Worth continuing?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Should I watch The Expanse?

Last scify series I got hooked on were BSG and firefly but I'm hankering for a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

The Dawn Wall is on netflix and it's good. A legendary climber spends 10 years in pursuit of a route up the face of El Capitan - a climb most thought impossible. He makes this last effort with a missing index finger. If you saw "Free Solo", this is a movie about Honnald's (sane, likable) training buddy.