Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

She is perfectly weird but she's also an already rich and famous white person taking over the role designed for an Asian person.

She's a white woman playing the role of an Asian man you'd think that would balance out to be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm pretty sure that's because for some reason nobody cares about the other two movies and it's just Oldboy that matters

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Grassy Knowles posted:

I like them but I don't think my DVDs in the storage unit will help much here

It's just for some reason I've never heard anyone ever reference the other two only Oldboy. I have all three somewhere at my parents too but Oldboy is the only one that ever gets mentioned

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I had a sleepless night a bit ago and ended up watching a bunch of found footage horror on Prime and Netflix and stumbled on a winner called Bad Ben.

It's basically what if Sam's Choice Frank Reynolds bought a house to flip for profit and the house was haunted. It isn't scary beyond one jump scare midway through but it was enjoyable enough watching him yell at ghosts and be an unpleasant man. There's actually a trilogy but the second is a prequel and doesn't have not-Frank and as a result it's the weakest of the three.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

On Hulu, Reaper is available.

A guy has his soul sold to the devil by his parents so he must become a bounty hunter for the devil.
It's funnier than it has any right to be but be warned:
Season two ends on a massive cliffhanger that will never be resolved.

You can find some interviews that somewhat tell you where things were going to go but yeah that was a victim of the writers strike.

Ray Wise was the best devil.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I couldn't sleep last night so I started season 2 the bits with the evil Delta were the exact right amount of schlock i expect from that series.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

wormil posted:

I think it helps to know going in that it's set in the same universe as the movie Cloverfield. A rare case where a mild spoiler saves you from :wtf: ending.

I thought it was less same universe and more they decided "Cloverfield" is not an anthology word

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

wormil posted:

I don't understand what that means, to me it sounds like two negatives -- it's not this because it's not this? But last I heard there is another Cloverfield movie on the way.

Second not should have been now. Cloverfield is supposed to be an anthology series and all it means is "sci-fi stuff happens" but it's all unrelated

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

wormil posted:

Planned on watching a couple episodes of The End of the F***ing World (Netflix) and watched the whole season. The characters are annoying but it's very well acted and the writing is tight.

I put this first episode on this morning and me and the gf sat through all 8 without a break. The annoying teenagers are definitely annoying teenagers but it was really good. I don't like not having closure but I feel like a season 2 is unnecessary and I hope they don't decide to force one on it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bogmonster posted:

The End of the loving World on Netflix is really well done, I think. It shouldn't work to adapt an American comic book in a UK setting, but it does.

Edit: I see it's already been mentioned. Has Detectorists made it to US streaming sites yet? It's a great little sitcom written and directed by Mackenzie Crook and is a really nice, gentle, uncynical show that still manages to be quite funny.

I read the comic because of the show and man is the show significantly better.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I wish instead of this weird Godzilla Netflix would have gotten Shin Godzilla instead

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

wormil posted:

Little Evil isn't very good, not awful, but not worth watching.

I liked the transdad because he was just wanted to listen to Rush and be a good stepdad.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

wormil posted:

I thought she was a gay woman.

Maybe? The characters name was Al but either way Al just wanted to be a good stepdad and listen to Rush

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yeah I don't think he's ever going to get turned back into his proper age, much like Ash he's going to be a child forever because $$$

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

flatluigi posted:

It looks like the Netflix collection is specifically eps #748 to #799 according to Wikipedia, with the show currently on its 886th episode. And 21 movies.

It'd be really cool if the entire run of the series was up somewhere but that's a lot of episodes to handle.

It's the entire premise of the show and would cut out a bunch of characters if it was ever permanent -- I don't think he'd be able to go on wacky adventures with elementary children anymore, you know? There's been a bunch of different ways here and there where he's been able to temporarily revert to his actual age, though.

I meant more like it would never end so of course there will never be a conclusion

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Applesnots posted:

Just watched the cloverfield paradox on netflix, I had fun.

I think id have preferred it more if it was like Cloverfield Lane and just it's own thing rather than a prequel to the original. Should i spoil that? It was in the trailer

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anyone know if the Battlestar Galactica on Amazon Prime are the full episodes? When Netflix had it way back when the episodes were the slightly edited for time rerun versions

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rolo posted:

How close is The Stanford Prison Experiment to what actually happened in the study? How much is Hollywood wanting it to be more interesting?

From what my undergrad courses taught me it was hosed as all hell but I haven't seen that movie.

Like it ended after days because college kids took it way too drat far and there was a prison riot.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I watched The Pool from Amazon Prime today and it wasn't terrible I guess? It kept me occupied during a two hour road trip. Without spoiling too much two families go camping and they trespass to go to a spot by a pond and then Bad Stuff Happens. It's from the Netherlands I believe so if you don't like subtitles this might not be a good choice.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rolo posted:

Boss Baby is the worst movie I’ve ever seen.

It could have been worse. At least if you close your eyes you get a Sam's Choice Jack Donaghy going on a crusade against puppies.

It's not like bee movie which has no redeeming qualities

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I think I posted about them before but the Bad Ben trilogy on Amazon is a relatively okay series. It's incredibly low budget and it's about Great Value Frank Reynolds buying a haunted house.

Well he made a webseries continuation where he's a paranormal investigator and it's baaaaaaaaaad. I've seen flash animations on Newgrounds that look better.

Edit: yeah just finished it I do not advise watching this because it's just horrible on many many levels.

Len has a new favorite as of 04:52 on Apr 10, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I haven't watched it but is there random awkward sex scenes like the book? Gay djinni sex and the stripper that ate a guy with her vagina stand out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've started The Wire for the first second third fourth(?) time. I want to enjoy it more than I do but goddamn these beginning episodes are such a slow loving burn

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

For anyone who cares there's going to be a fourth Bad Ben movie. It's held up on Amazon so he's live streaming it right now. So far it's a remake of the first one only instead of there being ghosts and all the house cameras keeping tabs on it there's an evil doll and the filming is done by an iPhone and a little camera attached to the doll. It's pretty good and cool so far.

Edit: looks like it's an anthology telling different stories of how he gets wrecked by this haunted house

Len has a new favorite as of 02:55 on Jun 2, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Section 9 posted:

I had never heard of this series before, but thanks for posting about it. I like these sorts of low-budget amateur Youtube horror movies in theory, but it's refreshing to see something that is concise and doesn't involve a couple young idiots filming their feet walking through a forest in search of some slenderman derivative for 12 episodes. I've seen the original and "The Mandela Effect" (which seems to be the one you mentioned) and enjoyed both.
It may be predictable, or maybe I'm unimaginative (or both) but the very last bit of "The Mandela Effect" was pretty much exactly what I wanted to see happen.

I haven't watched "Steelmanville Road" yet, because it seems to have an overwhelmingly negative response. Is it at all worth watching?

Steelmanville Road isn't exactly bad but imo none of the characters are as enjoyable to watch as Nigel. I still watched it because it was free and all but of the four it's the easiest to say skip.

Badder Ben was much more comedic in tone. A documentary crew decides to find Nigel and bring him back to the house and there's far more humor but it's fun and has heart.

The animated short is uh...bad just terribly awful. It's animation isn't great which I could forgive if it was funnier but it's just not. He did a q&a after the stream of Mandela Effect and I asked if there would be more and he said probably not for a long time. Apparently not enough people watched it to justify the time it took to do everything. I get the feeling he was learning flash or whatever it is people use for animation these days.

Nigel seems like a pretty chill guy from what I've seen of his streams. He's just this old fat guy who decided one day that he wanted to make a movie. When his actors bailed he said gently caress it and made the thing anyway. When people laughed at his horror movie instead of getting his knickers in a twist he just rolled with it and made more in the same sense.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Baxter posted:

Watched the entire run of "The End of the F***ing World" on Netflix last night, a "British dark comedy-drama".

Didn't like the title, didn't like the premise, didn't like the first 15 minutes or so.

But it turned out to be pretty good IMO.

Significantly better than the source material imo

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

syscall girl posted:

I liked it.

Actually I got pissed off at some parts of it but wait for it, it's getting a sequel, somehow.

Is it? I looked a couple aweeks ago and just saw people posting they want one but there wasn't one announced yet

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I have hope the back half of season 1 will be good. It picked up in the last few episodes but overall was kind of meh

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Agent355 posted:

New season of bojack continues to be real drat good, I love this stupid show.

I'm 8 episodes into it. I don't know how the consistently do gimmick episodes that don't suck but episode 6 owned

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Has anyone watched Lore? I used to follow the podcast and it was pretty much guysreadswikipedia.mp3 so the fact he got a tv is show

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

jodai posted:

I watched one episode but it seemed like "Guy reads wikipedia while paper dolls illustrate what he's saying".

Also I watched a specific Voltron episode(the DnD one) and it was really good.

There was a goon in a thread that pointed out he once read a creepypasta about a haunted sanitarium because it was on the wiki page during the "research" phase of the episode.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pasketti posted:

Castlevania season2 is good

Do they actually make it into Dracula's Castle this season?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Watching it now and I never pictured Trevor and Alucard as ultra witty types

Edit: they may have been ultra witty in season one but I don't remember it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

syscall girl posted:

Does witty mean "has a big neck"? Because that's how they're portrayed in the games lately. Also as I recall from the second NES one if the intelligence of the player is reflected in the character they pretty dumb :shrug:

I guess snarky would have been a better word choice? He and Alucard trade insults like a Sam's Choice Dante. I mean Castlevania doesn't have a long history of great writing but they're typically less intentionally comical.

Personally my favorite line is Leon Belmont threatening to kill the night. It beats out the miserable pile of secrets line hands down.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Good Place is making me miss Reaper and I can't quite explain why.

Man I miss Reaper.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Just finished season 2 of Good Place "Oh let's go over to Hulu and watch season 3"

Because of gently caress youery they don't have episodes 1 or 2 posted anymore.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Agent355 posted:

Hulu is garbage. I 'get' that it's supposed to be like semi-modern with rotating content and 'oh we only have the most recent season' so maybe it works well if you actually watch regular cable. But I don't, so whenever a show looks neat I have to deal with not having the initial seasons to watch. I definitely watch hulu the least out of all the services I have.

If it didnt come bundled with the fiancees spotify we wouldn’t have it because of poo poo like that

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

All six seasons of cougar town are on hulu now. :getin:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Iron Crowned posted:

I like Hulu because they only charge me $6 a month, and it means I can watch The Good Place/Superstore/Bob's Burgers on Saturday afternoon.

I caught up with Good Place and went onto the Hulu episodes and it was missing the first three because gently caress you that's why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I just got 3 months of HBO Now for free and saw they had Tooth Fairy.

This is certainly a movie. The Rock stars as a minor league hockey player who gets Shanghaid into being a tooth fairy and has to juggle his life and being a tooth fairy. Drama and hijinks follow