Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

jodai posted:

I think it's because it doesn't make direct references to other movies like the Scary Movie franchise. It's making fun of a genre but it's not obvious about it. I need to watch it but I'm going to guess if you didn't know it was a spoof, it could be taken as a really weird romantic comedy.

Yeah I had no idea it was spoof. I just figured it was Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd in a normal romcom with a slightly unfortunate name. Never noticed that it was done by the Wet Hot American Summer guys. If I'd known that I wouldn't have just written it off. Watched it last night and it's almost exhausting how ridiculous it is. It's funny, but at a certain point it just feels like they're trying way too hard to find the joke in any given situation.

The best part of the movie is their couple friends who are just as confused about their story as we all are. The look on their faces when he tells about having to resist the desire to sleep with his grandma was pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Isn't Netflix footing the bill for most of The Expanse? I could be thinking of a different show, but I think that's the one that they're basically paying for so they can have distribution rights in international markets. Or something to that affect. So hopefully low US viewership won't kill the show as quickly as it normally would. SyFy also seems pretty determined to give their good shows a chance lately though.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Is season 2 of Master of None that much better than season 1? I watched most of the first season but got distracted and forgot to finish it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Well he did say they can invoke the rule at any point in the program. I kind of doubt they're using it at the opening credits. I mean yeah, sure, pilot episodes and sometimes entire first seasons are mediocre but turn out spectacular, but if you're like 45 minutes into a movie and it's not at all entertaining I could understand giving it an ultimatum. 5 minutes seems a little short for a major change of heart, but I get the idea of it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Wife and I are around halfway through season 2 of Episodes. It's pretty great so far, nice to see Matt Leblanc have a good sense of humor about himself and the actors all have pretty good chemistry together.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
For something more recent, Barry was awesome this past Spring.

Rome is also great and pretty short.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
There are still some likable characters on Shameless. Carl and Kevin are always entertaining it's just they write the stupidest possible stories for them and then pretend they never happened. But yeah pretty much everybody else is just miserable all the time and that gets really tiring to watch. I still like the show, but I really don't understand the decisions their writers/showrunner make sometimes (all the time).

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I just started Letterkenny a couple nights ago and yeah the fartbook episode was pretty bad, but still had its moments. Seasons 2 and 3 just got better and better and I'm going to start season 4 sometime today. This show's been recommended to me by so many people and I just never checked it out. I think it was because I was conflating it with Trailer Park Boys for some reason and I couldn't get into that show at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I think in season 5 they started replacing some if the wordplay stuff with music. Like fight, chase, montages set to music and no dialog for minutes at a time. It was really weird, but the music is typically really good and I got used to it after a while. Season 6 was by far the weakest for me, don't think they got more than a chuckle out of me until like episode 5 or 6 that season.