Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Henceforth is a new thread to share your favorite Netflix (and perhaps other sources, such as Hulu and Amazon Prime) streaming material.

:siren::siren::siren:If you see something you want to stream but it isn't available in your region, you should try using HOLA (https://www.hola.org) to trick the content provider into letting you watch it!:siren::siren::siren:

I'll start!

Gilmore Girls

As you've probably deduced from the all-female cast filled with hateful, unsympathetic characters, The Gilmore Girls is a show written and directed by Jenji Kohan, a living muppet who is also responsible for Orange is the New Black and Weeds--two other shows that are also available on Netflix Streaming and filled with equally lovely, unsympathetic leads.

The show focuses on self-absorbed Lorelei Gilmore, resident witch who, at the tender age of sixteen, gives birth to a doll (Alexis Bledel) in her billionaire parents' East Coast mansion. For the next seven years, we watch as the doll turns into a nervous, self-doubting creature that squanders her Ivy League education and comes to resent her own existence. As the doll grows more obstinate, the two characters frequently go to war with each other. However, at the end of most episodes, we can see them kiss and make up; the show's recurring theme is "martyrdom". There is rarely an episode where one character isn't flinging him or herself on another's sword to win the approval of somebody they secretly hate.

Cream-of-Plenty has a new favorite as of 02:16 on Nov 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Totally TWISTED posted:

This thread is of interest to me.

I'll recommend a movie that I was turned onto from the previous thread, Mr Nobody, the storyline is out-there/disjointed but I think the weirdness is worth it.

edit: Also a mod should change the thread tag since OP don't know how to OP right.

Hey, gently caress you, pal.

This thread will get an appropriate tag when That Mitchell and Webb Look is available on Netflix Streaming again. Peep Show is an alright substitute, though...to complement the holiday season, I recommend S7E5 "Season Beatings".

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Fishstick posted:

That Mitchell and Webb Look is available on Netflix UK, along with other gems like Black Books, Utopia and Black Mirror. If you have a netflix US (non-DVD) sub, you can use Hola (hola.org) or any other location-spoofing method to watch those. Utopia and Black Mirror alone are worth the hassle, quality miniseries. Black books & Mitchell and Webb are just bonuses at that point.

Utopia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdfJNIMGXx4

Thanks for reminding me--nobody usually reads to OPs in these threads, but I put a note about HOLA in there.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Wait are we saying that Bill Paxton shows up in Gilmore Girls or that he shows up in SHIELD? Because I am in season six of GG and, lord, we could really use you Paxton.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

I just enjoyed Earnest Saves Christmas this evening one of the better films in the Earnest catalog

The high water mark being "Ernest Scared Stupid", of course.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

onemanlan posted:

I'd have to say my current recommendations for US Netflix accounts are:

Peaky Blinders is a wonderful BBC show about a Roma/Gypsy small time family criminal group in post WW1 Birmingham, England. The group is initially known for small time horse betting/grifting, but some unexpected guns come into the mix which leads to one family member attempting to grown the business with thwarting the investigation into the guns. Its a show that builds well and has wonderful acting. The first season left at an awesome cliff hanger. The second season's cliffhanger is doubly amazing. Cant wait for S3.

Peep show is my other current favorite old time show on 'flix. Its pretty much two polar opposite personalities as roomys who are individually trying to get their dicks wet and unintentially gently caress each other over in the process. Also occasionally gently caress themselves over the pursuit. Its a bit odd because you get a lot of 'head speak' where the characters thought process is narrated while in first person view which is odd at first, but is great down the line because lets be honest - we've all had some dumb thoughts that lead to our even dumber actions. This show touches on that a good bit and pushes the awkward limit in some cases. Just see: Superhans.

Other notable recommendations:

Blue Ruin
I Saw the Devil
Hell
Always Sunny
The Office
Portlandia
Transparent(on Amazon Prime)

I think my favorite Superhans moment is when he tries to quit smoking crack, and ends up replacing a drug addiction with a running addiction--the result of which is him running until he ends up in the middle of nowhere. "My legs have gone man! I'm a jelly! I'm paralysed! Feels loving brilliant!"

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Also Season 9 of Trailer Park Boys went up last week on Netflix.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

i flunked out posted:

I may be biased becauseI really like it as a show in general, but psych always helps me fall asleep

Trailer Park Boys is great to go to sleep to. What's more comforting than the harebrained antics of lovable Canadian trailer trash? It's like, "It's 3 AM--stop worrying about your taxes/interview/car payment--just think about all the money you're gonna make with that hash driveway."

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Forever_Peace posted:

Woah. The Americans is really good. Compelling characters, nicely shot, great use of visual metaphor, and just the right amount of nostalgic humor. Might stick with this one.

Amazon prime only it seems.

I haven't checked but is this a show that follows Prime's popular model of "the first season is free, but you'll have to buy everything after that"? I was really interested in Justified until I found that I'd have to spend a ton of money--even just renting the seasons--to binge on the series.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah, all the seasons of Justified are free except for the last season that finished like a week ago.

Then it begins.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Len posted:

Could have been From Dusk Till Dawn. I know how people get about when The Big Reveal that I've never heard referred to as a twist outside of these forums is a revealed early.

Dusk Till Dawn...that's that movie about a young George Clooney having a crazy party at a bar in the middle of nowhere, right? There's a twist in that?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Len posted:

Netflix tells me it's really a vampire den

Well it was a strip club, so of course they're real bloodsuckers.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I loved Tremors as much as the next guy, but Hitch scared the poo poo out of me

gently caress you, Will Smith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

For anybody who enjoyed Best Worst Movie, the doc about the making of "Troll 2", I'd recommend Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Doctor Moreau, which recently popped up on Netflix. The first third of the film is somewhat slow, but it definitely picks up--especially once they get into the bizarre behaviors of the lead actors (particularly Brando, his constant hijacking of the script, and his plot to turn the world's smallest man into a mini-me that was present in every scene) and the ever-growing troupe of extras.