Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

food court bailiff posted:

Did you watch to the end of the first season? Because all of the "wacky" characters get hit with the drama hammer super hard. It's emotionally draining to watch but I thought it did what it was trying to do very well.

I dunno. It felt like the kind of stuff Miranda had been doing, presumably, her whole life finally got to everyone at a time that was convenient for the plot. I didn't hate it, but I just feel like, if you're going to take the audience out of reality with characters that act ridiculous 95% of the time, it feels a bit cheap to then use that ridiculous behavior we've come to accept to then apply to normal human responses from those same characters. It just rubbed me the wrong way - like I say, I'll be interested in seeing where it goes next season.

Oldstench posted:

Anyone tried the new MST3K episodes yet?

Just started. I'm laughing at the movie commentary, looking good so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Other Space and Quick Draw are the 2 'failed' web series no one I know has seen that I totally love.

There's a lot new about the the MST3K; but the most jarring thing, thinking on it, is that I get most of the references right away. It's really unusual. It's not a bad thing at all, I think though, that I kind of got a kick out of revisiting MST3K episodes as I got older and understanding more of them, kind of like a well I could go back to. Not a complaint.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I just finally finished New MST3k and it really finds its stride as it goes on. By the last few episodes, it's well paced, and I was laughing out loud consitently. I'm really pleased with it overall.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

My mom has been into British mysteries and dramas on PBS, so I thought she might be interested in a comedy. I went to show her Peep Show, and it's been taken off of US Netflix. :(

It's really bummed me out. I showed her The IT Crowd, which she loves, but wouldn't you know, there's a notice on it that they're taking it off Netflix on Aug 1.

So, PSA, rewatch it now if you wanna.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I ran out of stuff to watch and started playing American Vandal, knowing nothing about it.

It's probably 2-3 episodes too long, but it's pretty fuckin funny. It's one of those long-form crime documentaries that slowly reveals exciting details to you over hours and hours of content, but it's about who spray painted dicks on 27 cars in a school faculty parking lot.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Maybe this is the right place to post this? I just found out that RiffTrax has a channel on Twitch. I dunno if it's a temporary thing or not, but they're playing movies non-stop - not live commentary, btw.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I haven't seen a lot of chatter about it anywhere, but I liked Godless so much, I thought I'd share. It's a bleak western, with an unsurprising plot, but they really go deep into the characters, and it's beautiful with great music and acting. I recommend trying it out for 2 episodes at least to see what you think, if you got the patience.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

There are enough travel/eating shows, but I like Somebody Feed Phil. He's got a really infectious playfulness that makes it stand out. I've liked Anthony Bourdain's shows for the most part, but I'm really worn out on his 'type'. A kind of rich guy, with a tan and a shirt buttoned a little too low, who really wants to be seen as salt-of-the-earth, while still being smug as humanly possible. So this was like a palette cleanser in the genre for me.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Wow, Moon is back on after however long being unavailable. I need to have a good reliable aggregator to tell me these things.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Rolo posted:

InstantWatcher.com isn’t bad. It’s just a column of what’s new next to a column or what’s currently popular.

Oh, thanks very much.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Rolo posted:

Man I got through the first episode of American Gods today because I just finished the book and liked it enough.

One episode of the show almost ruined it for me entirely. How did this get a 92 on RT? It’s terrible.

I had just read the book too when it came out, and I remember liking it. I kind of remember a scene in a cemetery about blowjobs that went on way to long that I zoned out of entirely.

I thought the first few episodes were good, and I was impressed at how reading the book didn't affect my enjoyment of the show. But I did just stop watching it, so I guess it didn't leave a big impression.

Happy People is a Werner Herzog documentary that was off of Netflix for a long time, but it's back. It's about fur trappers in the middle of no where, Siberia.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Rolo posted:

Yeah that was one of a few parts that brought me right out of it. Jesus Christ stop describing what a blowjob is. Also I think the main kicker was just that I didn’t like the acting of the guy who plays Shadow. I really liked his character in the book and I feel like they whiffed it.

I agree with that, Shadow in the book felt pretty defeated and rudderless in the beginning rather than... 'irritable' and self-absorbed? I'm trying to remember what I liked, now. I think I liked a lot of the other casting - Ian McShane as a stand-out, and how they pivoted the Tech Kid to be something more with the times than an acne-riddled hacker nerd from 1999.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

The Good Place isn't a stand-out show to me, I don't know why. Then again I binged all of Season 2 at once, so maybe I'm in some kind of denial. It has that network, saccharine quality that turns me off, but I can't deny how clever it is. Ted Danson, D'arcy Carden, and most of the time Kristen Bell are all really, really funny.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'm just getting to Season 3 now. There are some great characters, but The Expanse has a lot more that it offers. The world building is top-notch, and a lot of reverence is paid to the restrictions of zipping around in space. There's a lot of care in it.

I'd say keep going if you don't loathe the characters, there's bound to be a couple you can latch onto coming up.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

On Netflix, I saw The Between Two Ferns Movie and the series Unbelievable, and I loved them both. Diametrically opposite tones, but both good.

I'm just now starting Mindhunter, and that seems good too. I was kind of losing faith in Netflix too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

best bale posted:

This goon gets it

And for content: it’s probably been mentioned before but new season of schitt’s creek is on Netflix and entire series is absolutely hilarious. Took me a few episodes to get into it bc the tone was mean but it was only used to show family’s growth into actual people.

Fine, I'll try watching it again. I bounced hard on the first 2 episodes of Schitt's Creek, but I keep hearing nothing but universal love for it, so I'll push though.

And yeah, cable is just awful. I went without a subscription for years, and then when I moved to my home town and hung out with my folks, I saw that the commercial situation was even worse than before. There's an ocean of commercials now in the middle of a show, and no commercials between episodes. It is completely diabolical, and absolute torture to sit through.