Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Maribone Jelly posted:

Both seasons of The Supersizers Go... are on Hulu. While some of the history may be a bit simplistic, its pretty entertaining, and worth a look

To further clarify, it's a series where two people spend an entire week exclusively eating the cuisine of a given time period. I think my favorite of the bunch was the Restoration era, during which people in Britain didn't 'trust' vegetables, and basically ate only meat, and were consequently lethargic, irritable, and smelly all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Loki_XLII posted:

How goofy are we talking? The Thing is already more than a bit goofy.

The denouement involves the main character and his ex-girlfriend adopting a litter of dog-human hybrid babies made from his DNA.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Sleeveless posted:

That's pretty much the entire point, it's satirizing modern-day police militarization and the ubiquitousness of white collar crime just like how the original satirized the crime and politics of the 80s.

Though I agree with this, I also feel that the message is somewhat undermined by the fact that the main character gets blown up with a land mine right outside of his own quiet suburban home; the way the film presents it, this increasing militarization seems kind of reasonable. You don't even have the angle of the original film which implied that OCP was deliberately putting officers in harm's way in order to sell their robot police officer/have a corpse for the Robocop program. And at least for me, the film lacks any kind of emotional punch, so regardless of whether or not I agree with the film's message, it never does anything to make me care. That being said, there are a couple of touches to the movie that I liked:

1. Samuel L. Jackson playing Glenn Beck, and his weird warm-up mouth noises.

2. In the background of a bunch of shots you can see folks with signs protesting the replacement of human workers with robots. Nobody ever actually mentions this, and I think it's a cool representation of the way reality is filtered through the media lens.

3. When Murphy wakes up in China, as a robot, he freaks the gently caress out and runs outside. The run he does, with his torso moving straight forward while his arms and legs flail, is the goofiest loving thing.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Crunkjuice posted:

Anyone got any good recommendations on some horror flicks? I'm not opposed to gore, but straight slasher flicks bore me. Monster, psychological, demon stuff are usually my favorites. Loved insidious and cabin in the woods (not horror really I know), absolutely loved american horror story (just watched for the first time).

The Babadook. That is all.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

spite house posted:

If you like documentaries about cinematic trainwrecks, along the lines of "Jodorowsky's Dune" and "Lost in La Mancha", don't miss Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau. It's a delightful depiction of a legendary clusterfuck.

It's also worth noting that both of Stanley's major feature films, Hardware and Dust Devil, are both on Netflix. I highly recommend the operatic killer robot nightmare fever dream that is Hardware

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Palpek posted:

I started watching Scream the series and I don't know what I was thinking - I haven't seen such an unlikeable cast in a long time and want to see them all die horribly as soon as possible which works against the idea that I should somehow care about them fighting a serial killer.

I feel like this is sort of the point of the whole slasher genre.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
I would characterize it as 'pretty good'. The dialogue is really bad in that Joss Whedon 'everything has to be a quip' way, which gets old really fast, but the new monster designs for the African graboids are really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Inzombiac posted:

I bet the pre-production concept art was cool as hell but then they forgot to light any of the scenes.

Idea:

Execution:

and a whole lot of