Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
13 Assassins is available on Netflix (USA at least). It's a great movie, especially if you've enjoyed other samurai period dramas. The combat scenes are riveting, and the characterization and motivations of the characters are excellent compared to other martial arts films. It's pretty long at about 2h20m. I think this is the version where they edited out the sex scene/gay joke. It's an improvement

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 04:20 on Nov 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

I posted about this in another thread, but The Siege of Jadotville on a Netflix is good if you enjoy watching young brave Irishmen rejecting the advances of sultry temptresses. Also the majority of the film is Starship Troopers except played straight and with black men instead of big monsters.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

As cheesy as it sounds, the anime series Silver Spoon on Netflix has a lot of heart. A Japanese teenager with no goals or direction in life flounders in the rigid school system and chooses to go to an agricultural high school with a focus in dairy science. While it's a pretty idyllic depiction of farming (no chicks being ground up or whatever), he gains an appreciation for the production of food, contends with the ethics of meat-eating, and learns the value of working with your hands in a very Waldenesque way.

Len posted:

I like the ones that are more audio drama and less people talking into a microphone. That second one is everywhere but that first category isn't anywhere near as broad.

Have you listened to Selected Shorts? This episode opens with Stephen Lang reading an excerpt from The Iliad and it's one of my favorite pieces of audio. https://www.podfeed.net/episode/Tales+from+the+Great+Epics/2132832

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Any thoughts on the martial arts and samurai flicks on Netflix? Here's a few that I've seen with some thoughts as an ignorant normie viewer who isn't versed in the classics. Some of these might have rotated off the catalog by now.

Ip Man 3: Highly nationalistic but that's to be expected given Ip Man 2. I really enjoy Donnie Yen's constrained acting style, and the fight scenes are fun to watch and inventive. Big bad is Mike Tyson, who is so powerful that the final fight is the protagonist simply trying to survive 3 minutes against Tyson's boxing. I'd probably recommend watching Ip Man 1 and 2 first, but it's really not necessary.

Kung Fu Killer: Martial arts/crime thriller (although that part is hardly thrilling) also starring Donnie Yen, who has some extremely good choreography in this movie. The main plot is an up-and-coming fighter taking down several different masters using their own techniques against them, so a lot of nice diversity between fights. Not much else going for it, the CGI is obvious but used sparingly. I'd recommend it just for the fights.

Hero (2004): Highly produced wuxia film. The martial arts in this movie are fairly different from other films. The actors fly and float around, the color layout clearly received a lot of attention, and the fights really look more like interpretive dancing than anything else. Visually, this movie is a work of beauty. The plot is better than the typical straight-forward Chinese film, but not really a strong point in my eyes. The "moral" of the story definitely felt a bit like nationalist propaganda, but some people I watched it with disagreed.

Kung Fury: Hilarious 30-minute short that plays on 80's martial arts and police-action movies. Miami cop is paired with his new partner Triceracop, has to time-travel to kill Kung Fuhrer.

13 Assassins: I've talked about it before, but an instant classic for me. Samurai period movie with all the requisite themes of honor and duty and such. The final hour or so is a single, mind-blowing fight scene. Netflix version doesn't have the weird out of place homophobic scene. "TOTAL MASSACRE". :thumbsup:

Ong-Bak: Probably the most famous Thai martial arts franchise. Some really funny Jackie Chan-style slapstick scenes, and some super energetic, brutal fight scenes that made me go "holy poo poo". Not a lot of reliance on wires and CGI.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Mar 14, 2017

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Bet this guy hates Peggy Hill too :(

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

I can't imagine that it's even the best wilderness survival movie starring Daniel Radcliffe.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

What are good food+travel shows? On Netflix I've seen a few episodes of Bourdain: Parts Unknown and Ainsley Eats the Streets, and the pilots of Ugly Delicious and Somebody Feel Phil. I wasn't in love with any of the hosts.

Bourdain seems to switch from charming and funny to smug and weirdly masculine, but my girlfriend despises him to the point of refusing to watch. Ainsley is funny but sometimes overbearing with his jokes and energy, and I don't enjoy the part of each episode where he makes his own version of a region's dish. Phil is really nice, but also boring and unfunny. I joked that he behaved like a TV sitcom dad before being told that he's the creator of Everyone Loves Raymond. Beautiful shots, though.

My favorite food show, although not necessarily a travel show, is Chef's Table. It also doesn't have a host, what a coincidence.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Mar 31, 2018

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Season 2 of A Series of Unfortunate Events is up on Netflix. Season 1 was very good. Excellent score, amazing set design, and Neil Patrick Harrison is amazing as Count Olaf. If you've read the books, this show does an admirable job of translating its tone to television. I didn't appreciate the 2004 Jim Carrey movie, but this show I am in love with.

If you are alarmed by perilous occurrences, perturbed by menacing authority figures, or dismayed by unhappy fates, look away, dear viewer. :(

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Apr 2, 2018

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

I was wondering why Dark Shadows sounded so familiar until I remembered an ooold This American Life piece about a DS convention I found entertaining:
https://www.thisamericanlife.org/74/conventions/act-one

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Can anyone give their impression of Cuba Libre on Netflix? How do they balance the historians/perspectives presented in the series?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

I watched the whole season and it’s ok at best. Like Futurama does with sci-fi tropes, Disenchanted has some genuinely funny jokes around medieval life. The fantasy spoofs often fall short, though.

“Boring Simpsons episode” is a good comparison. Puts out jokes at a steady enough pace for me to be content while I smoke weed or work on something, but ultimately forgettable.

Also I understand that Elfo’s conceit is that he’s a pathetic little guy, but everything from his character design, writing, and voice acting is so unpleasant and almost never funny. He might as well be a minor character on Family Guy. Bean and Zog are great, though.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 02:03 on Aug 25, 2018

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The Good Place is great in premise and execution, it’s definitely one of the most delightful shows you could stream right now. despite it’s unfair treatment of frozen yogurt

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

I watched the first episode of The Expanse and enjoyed the setting and background, but didn’t find the two main characters and their storylines very interesting at all. Should I keep watching?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m trying to find a good show to put on as background noise while I fall asleep. I usually go for stuff like Mythbusters or How It’s Made for that kind of thing, but Hulu is missing most of the old episodes. Any suggestions?

Travels by Narrowboat on Amazon Prime has been a godsend for this. A Brit quits his lifestyle to buy a narrowboat and sail along the thousands of miles of UK waterways. He does all the filming himself, and there are a lot of scenes with no dialogue, just lapping water and the sounds of British countryside and towns. It is supremely relaxing.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Is the animated spinoff Littlekenny worth watching? I’m iffy about most animated comedies coming out lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

“The Great” on Hulu is an extremely fictionalized comedy about Catherine the Great. I’m five episodes in and it’s very good so far. If you enjoyed “Harlots” it has the same great costuming, sets, and wicked humor.