Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
Oooh here you are thread!

Gonna put up some recommendations hot off the presses:

Bunraku is only available until the 31st. You fucks have two days to watch one of the more original kung-fu films in the entire decade.
Don Hertzfeldt (Of REJECTED fame) has a film on netflix called It's Such a Beautiful Day. It's 3 of his 20-minute shorts glued together with an attempt at an overarching narrative. It's Surreal Brilliance.'

Holy poo poo, Stage Fright is entertaining as a goofy b-movie slasher that never takes itself seriously.

Dark Skies, Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones, At the Devil's Door, and Sabotage were all pretty bleh. Hell, Sabotage was a big theatrical film, but you watch it and like.. everyone is a loving rear end in a top hat. You just don't care about any one of them because no one has any virtuous traits at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
I watched Frank on netflix.

You should too.

I didn't even know what it was about. I saw that big-rear end goofy head and I remembered a Colbert Report last year where Michael Fassbender and Maggie Gyllenhall were singing some weird indie song.

It all makes sense.
Everything makes sense.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

jodai posted:

Horns is up on Netflix. I wasn't even sure what to expect but it was pretty good.

I agree. Didn't go into it thinking it'd be a supernatural murder mystery, but despite the flimsy set-up, Radcliffe has grown into a fine actor before our eyes.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
Recently I've noted some things on Netflix from the "8 nights of horrorfest" collections from the last decade. Once a year, Lionsgate or whoever, would distribute 8 films per year for like 3-4 years from a B-movie collection. Most were poo poo; maybe 1-2 good ones -- by good, I mean passable.

Saw a couple on there.

Mulberry Street was a really good zombie film akin to the original [Rec], where the inhabitants are locked in a tenement. However, since it's New York City, the zombies aren't zombies, they're Skaven. I really liked it.
The Deaths of Ian Stone I thought was pretty interesting. It's got some body horror/torture scenes here and there, but Edge of Tomorrow took some influence from its main plot mechanic. Good stuff.
Another good one is The Hamiltons.

Danger 5, a whacky Australian series influenced by 60s spy films requires a particular taste, but its first season is up, and it's golden -- but not platinum, as it's humor won't reach everyone.
The meta-sequel of the 70s cult classic and progenitor of slasher films The Town that Dreaded Sundown is on netflix. It's worth a watch.

Nazi Zombies! Dead Snow 2 is available, and absolutely relishes to be as gory and stupid as possible. Its spiritual influences from Dead Alive is in every head-crushingly silly and graphic scene.

Did no one see that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze hit instant? Go Ninja Go Ninja Go!

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
Robocop (2014) went on Netflix Instant.

I really don't want to watch it.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
I used to get Donal Logue and Sean Bean mixed up in the 90s.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
Hell yeah! Danger 5: Season 2 is up on instant Netflix. Watch that poo poo in one go! KILL HITLER!

For horror fans who dig on anthology films making a comeback, The ABCs of Death 2 is available and much improved over the first one. 26 vignettes from international film-makers across the world. The Japanese ones are still a little weird. Some of them are honestly kind of funny. It's a good game to try to guess what the letter is before it ends.

Overall, films like The ABCs of Death and VHS are making me excited that horror Anthology movies are making a VOD comeback. I grew up watching films like Creepshow that did this.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Deadite posted:

Speaking of horror anthologies it really burns my biscuits that Tales from the Crypt isn't on HBO Go. C'mon HBO, no one wants to watch Arliss.

Also please add Mr. Show too

Mr. Show was the greatest sketch comedy since Kids in the Hall.

I love Surreal comedy, and Bob Odenkirk and David Cross were super raw in that.

All the goddamned Saw movies are being flooded into Netflix.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

jodai posted:

Snuff Box?

Edit: I guess they took that off Netflix. That's a shame.

Anyone checked out VHS: Viral?

Yes. It's boring.

Nothing they've made is as good as that Malaysian piece in 2. That poo poo was awesome.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

coyo7e posted:

I love that the movie is basically about killing off all the friendly nonhumans from The Neverending Story. The animal Noah saves in the opening, was totally a luck dragon, and I was waiting to see the rock guys pull out tricycles. It was a ludicrously puerile movie though, bad guys are bad and you know it because they just flat bite the heads off of cute little animals and eat them raw. Also you can gauge Noah's sanity entirely based on his haircut in each scene.

I did LOL at the "I'm so horny I will go to the dark side!" subplot though.

Such big, strong hands.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Woah, woah, woah, when did they add Bill Nye The Science Guy? Jesus H Christ that's a kick right in the nostalgia.

I always loved their musical parodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

wormil posted:

Big rear end Spider was fun

Yes it was, and it was filmed to be super-fun and played off being campy.
So it's not, in effect, a bad movie.