Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

In case you missed it, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel dropped it's second season on Amazon Prime last month. The first season won two Golden Globes and five Primetime Emmys and the second season is just as good, if not better than the first. As per wikipedia: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is an American period comedy-drama web television series, created by Amy Sherman-Palladino, that premiered on March 17, 2017, on Amazon Video. The series stars Rachel Brosnahan as the eponymous Miriam "Midge" Maisel, a housewife in 1958 New York City who discovers she has a knack for stand-up comedy.

I completely bounced off that premise but this is the funniest show I've watched all year. It's just so tightly written and stars an outstanding cast of comedic actors (Tony Shaloub, Alex Borstein, and the lead, Rachel Brosnahan, especially stand out). I'm not a costumes guy either, but the attention to detail on even the vast throngs of period extras is astounding. The whole show has an undeniable quality to it that's rare if not unheard of for television comedies and I highly recommend it.

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 23:12 on Jan 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Glottis posted:

I'm rewatching American Vandal and it's a goddamn travesty that this show was cancelled. The writing is fantastic, the acting is amazing (to the point where I constantly forget they are actors and not actual high school kids), and it's consistently hilarious.

While it was Netflix cancelled, I'm almost certain it's getting a third season on CBS's new streaming service. Which in and of itself isn't *great* news, but no way they canned it completely.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I want to second Umbrella Academy. If you're somehow not completely loving done with deconstructive superhero plots this is one of the most enjoyable shows on Netflix at the moment. Basic premise is that a family of estranged superpowered siblings reunite after their adoptive father's suspicious death. It's a very fun and stylish show and the music is really top notch. It mines a lot of humor and character drama from how dysfunctional the family is, and while the writing seems pretty derivative at moments it's still a great time. My favorite characters are definitely the pair of jaded time traveling assassins wrestling with the overbearing bureaucracy of their mysterious employers.

Anyway that's my book report if you want to know how it ends you'll have to read it yourself!!!