Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Bunraku was OK but it's a movie that thinks it's way cooler and cleverer than it actually is.

coyo7e posted:

The narrator in Bunraku was Mike Patton, also known as the lead singer of Faith No More. And the fight scenes were intended to evoke Gene Kelly dance scenes.

Also the Japanese lead is jpop star/living anime Gackt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Oldstench posted:

Why would anyone cringe about watching IT crowd?

It's all a matter of whether their affected anglophilia trumps their affected hatred of laugh tracks.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Rolo posted:

It's pointless. It completely lacks the story and grit of the original. Hell even Detroit itself in the new one doesn't look like a bad place to live.

That's pretty much the entire point, it's satirizing modern-day police militarization and the ubiquitousness of white collar crime just like how the original satirized the crime and politics of the 80s.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The Mentalizer posted:

It's kind of hard to explain, but for the most part they had a number of developmentally disabled folks as secondary characters and did a really good job of portraying them as just another dude as opposed to highlighting them because of their disability (or worse, having that be the point of the character or the joke itself). Whenever they would show up they'd just be another part of the gang. It reminded me a bit of hanging out with my cousin, and the way it just isn't really an issue in day to day life if that makes any sense.

I could be way off base, of course, and there may be something offensive there that I missed, so anyone can feel free to correct me if there is.

Ironically enough they didn't bother to make an actual descriptive audio track so blind viewers could watch the show until a bunch of people complained online.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Have you watched it a second time yet? Seriously, watch it a second time. The way it's structured with the subtle callbacks makes it better the second time you see it.

Hot Fuzz is such an insanely dense and tightly-scripted movie to the point where almost every line is a setup, punchline, or callback. It makes World's End being so sloppy and muddled that much more disappointing.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

casual poster posted:

It's a little more subtle

They have multiple points where they literally explain out loud that the thing they're talking about is a romance movie cliche and that they are subverting it. "Subtle" is not a word I would use to describe it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The Vosgian Beast posted:

A second season apparently exists, but Netflix hasn't put it up.

Also yeah, good show. They're a bit crap at ending sketches sometimes, but they come up with really funny ideas.

Whoosh has become a birthday tradition with my friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-ZojGkYd0E

They put like a hundred Happy Birthday videos from Woosh online with different names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6JnYnA9Tzo

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Greetings, time travelers from the days when it was cool and edgy to call Tarantino a hack. Stay away from New York on September 11, 2001 and consider investing in Apple stock.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Gordon Ramsay got held at gunpoint, doused in gasoline, and almost set on fire by shark fin poachers when he was making a documentary exposing the practice. That alone is way more "punk" than Bourdain's entire career of being a gross junkie for a few years, getting famous from it, and then turning around and saying that addiction isn't real and it's just an excuse people make because hey I was able to quit cold turkey why can't everybody else.

e. Read his book Medium Raw if you want to watch a guy who got famous entirely through luck throw everybody else under the bus in the name of keeping up his image as The Bad Boy Of Food Network with zero self-awareness or irony.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Kung Fu Hustle is on Netflix now, if you like action and/or comedy and aren't deathly allergic to subtitles then you have no excuse to not be watching this movie right now.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Inzombiac posted:

Maybe I was too tired or too jaded but I was not impressed at all. Cronnenberg is hit and miss for me anyway and by the end of the movie I just couldn't wait for it to be over.

Cronenberg making a movie about being in a videogame was a surprisingly cool fit because he does a good job showing off how eerie and unnatural things like getting stuck in a dialogue tree with an NPC or doing something you don't understand and can't control because the game dictates it are when translated to real life, the movie is worth watching just for the restaurant segment alone for that reason.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Crow Jane posted:

Did that two summers ago, and did Deadwood last fall. With Mad Men finished, I think I ran out of good TV :smith:

Have you seen Breaking Bad? It's basically the capstone on the "angry middle-aged white guy family man antihero" prestige cable drama niche that Sopranos created.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

coyo7e posted:

It's even worse. They throw in a token 'Murican soldier for no particular reason except :911: . The main actors spend a lot of time parroting their own most-famous lines from movies that people liked.

Said 'murican soldier was also a Benghazi survivor because of course they wouldn't miss out on the chance to use a major motion picture to make potshots about how "support never came".

The movies suck because they're trying so hard to evoke the 80s with the actors and callbacks but the actual action is all 00s-era shakycam, quick cuts, and terrible digital squibs and obvious compositing and CGI. You never really have a good sense of geography or flow, it's just a bunch of cuts between people firing and people falling down with some explosions in between.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

coyo7e posted:

Whoa poo poo, Bojack Horseman season 2 is up! :supaburn:

I haven't even started it yet but when you pull up the page the "D" in "episodes" is missing, just like the D from the HOLLYWOOD sign in Bojack. Well-played, Netflix.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

kazil posted:

I guess I'm the minority because while I think Bojack gets better, I don't think it ever really gets good.

Like, people go on and on about how great it gets and I just don't see it.

People spend so much time coming up with theories about how silly cartoons for children are actually dark and depressing, it makes sense that they would go apeshit for a cartoon that is actually intentionally dark and depressing.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Gee it's almost as if the Oxford dining society chose loving a pig as an initiation rite and so many television shows have loving a pig as a ludicrous sex act because they're both drawing on the same cultural influences and "pigfucker" is not an uncommon phrase.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I'm not a big history/WWII person and I don't know what the streaming options are but The Ghost Army is pretty rad. It's really cool to see a documentary about WWII that is about avoiding fighting and honors artists and artisans, many of which were homosexual, and get to see the war effort through the art they made while on the front lines.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Daredevil and Jessica Jones both had pacing and scripting problems, but at least Daredevil had rad fight choreography throughout to hold your interest and a villain that didn't peak a third of the way through the season.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Why the gently caress does Triump The Insult Comic Dog have a special on Hulu

why is it about politically correct sjw millenials

Because every "edgy" comedian reaches a point where they're old and irrelevant and rather than aging gracefully they decide to punch downward so they can feel better about themselves. In Triumph's case that means getting college kids to say something outrageous so he can mug over it, which is so hackish that it was a staple on Jay Leno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

wormil posted:

setting his cat on fire, running his cousin off the road, pointing a gun at her, while naked -- maybe you need to watch the first episode again. Also, it is ironic that you accuse me of hating poor people but then say most of them get into worse trouble than Avery -- you have it backwards which of us is the bigot. That behavior isn't acceptable regardless of income status; and most poor people do not act that way.

You watched ten hours documenting how corrupt and untrustworthy the cops in that town were and the degrees they were willing to go to frame someone and the thing you took away from it was "the cops said he did a bunch of bad things in the past so he deserved it"

1redflag posted:

So what you're saying is that you've completely bought into whatever agenda the documentary producers had?

I don't know where you get the idea that every investigative piece of media needs to pretend like its completely neutral or give equal time to the opposing view in the name of some Fox New-esque pretense of being Fair and Balanced but it's objectively wrong and also the cancer that is killing journalism.

And everybody trying to refute the doc is even worse about bringing an agenda, like how a pair of fuzzy BDSM handcuffs with a quick-release button built into them that makes them impossible to use as a legitimate restraint is presented as manacles and leg irons which could only be used to restrain an unwilling victim.