Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Retail Slave posted:

Does Amazon Prime have enough separate content from Hulu and Netflix to be worth the price? I'm thinking of splurging, but I don't want to flush $100 down the toilet if it's just pretty much the same stuff I can get on the other two apps.

For movies, no; but I think it's worth it for the television shows. I tend to go back and forth, watching series on Netflix for a month or two then Prime will get something really good and I'll binge Prime for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Poirot Series 7-11 have finally been added to Netflix. If you like Agatha Christie mysteries, this is the best.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70208060?trkid=13752289

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Desperado Bones posted:

Alright, just finished watching Broadchurch on Netflix, good stuff, I really liked it. Is Gracepoint on any other site? Or is it good at least?

I didn't watch Broadchurch but according to the Gracepoint thread they are the same.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What I disliked about Gracepoint, and I have assume Broadchurch is the same, is it's a terrible mystery. First episode introduces the characters and crime then it's 8 useless episodes of spinning wheels and red herrings. Then in the last episode the killer immediately confesses with a motive out of left field. It feels like someone who hates mysteries was forced to write it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Todd Margaret was mildly amusing, took me a long time to watch all the episodes and the only reason I did was to see if there would be a payoff in the end. I don't think I'll watch a second season.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Big rear end Spider was fun

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Zombeavers did not fail to deliver. Pretty much Return of the Living Dead meets 80's slasher meets wacky monster movie. The hand puppet beavers work with the outrageous concept and save it from being half-rear end. The shots with beaver eyes are pretty good but were a bit overplayed. I kept expecting some twists on the personalities but they played it fairly straight.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
;efb

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Just watched an 80's spaghetti post-nuke film called 2019: After the fall of New York. A mash up of Escape from New York, Mad Max, Planet of the Apes and a few others but surprisingly well done and entertaining. It was on a Roku channel called Premiere.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I stumbled across an HBO series on Amazon called Hung, about a down and out basketball coach with a big penis. I watched 2 episodes expecting it to be a comedy but strangely it's not. What's the skinny, worth watching? The 2 eps I watched were okay but the series seems very predictable.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I really wanted to love Agents of SHIELD. I really did. But I watched the first three episodes and it feels like every single character is interchangeable. They could have Chinese Fire Drill'd the script, and I'd never notice.

Stick with it, it gets better about halfway through S1. You might be able to skip a few episodes, I can't remember.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Crow Jane posted:

So my month-long, virginal Sopranos binge is coming to a close.

What the hell do I watch after this?

The Murdoch Mysteries, Netflix still has the first 3 seasons.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Last I checked it was off streaming

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Worrying about accents is pointless unless you grew up within 20 miles of the fictional character.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I watched Between so you wouldn't have to. No matter how interesting you think the premise sounds, it isn't. Basically the whole plague thing happens in the first episode and wipes out the adults as an excuse for five more episodes of Teen Nick drama.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Another vote for Voyager. DS9 was was more soap opera than adventure, had some good villains though. Enterprise was a terrible show that should be deleted from existence.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I like seasons 3 and 4 of Enterprise. Seasons 1 and 2 aren't always terrible, just fairly boring mpst of the time.

No, sorry, Enterprise was terrible, legit awful. Capt Quantum Leap was terrible, his character was terrible, and continuity was worse than any show I've ever seen, worse than I believed was possible from professionals. And to pile it on, because it really deserves it, many major actions with consequence happen off screen. And the entire series is a time travel plot.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Boxman posted:

The answer for 90% of people is going to be DS9, but watch Threshold (S2E15) from Voyager so you get to experience the most insane hour of television produced by any Star Trek series.

Is that the one where they de-evolve, then Tom and Janeway mate?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Eh, I admit, part of the reason I like Enterprise is my man crush on Scott Bakula from when I watched Quantum Leap as a kid.

Yeah I loved Quantum Leap as a kid but I have an irrational hatred for Enterprise and everything about it. Except Trip. Trip was alright. And Jolene Blalock was actually not bad as a Vulcan since she has no emotions in real life. Surprised those two haven't been suckered into SyFy movies, Vulcans vs Zombies or something.

edit;

Coatlicue posted:

Anyone else watching Top of the Lake? It's a mini series about a girl that goes missing in a small remote New Zealand town. It reminds me a lot of Twin Peaks. Really sad though. I had to take breaks between episodes. This is on Netflix.

I watched one episode and never felt the need to watch more.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
If you're in the mood for Mad Max meets Z Nation then Australia made the movie for you: Wyrmwood road of the dead. I liked it. First rule of low budget is keep the characters doing something other than talking and they followed it. The pace is steady, there are some elements of dark humor, plenty of blood and the make up is adequate. And they manage a new twist on the fast/slow zombie issue. On Netflix.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

coyo7e posted:

Was this one the one which has the guy being bitten by zombie fish while he's out fishing? I love that movie. MULTI-SHOTGUN! :black101:

No, Wyrmwood is not so overtly humorous. My daughter said it made her feel guilty for laughing at things that shouldn't be funny. BTW, don't watch the trailer, it gives everything away.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

coyo7e posted:

poo poo what was that Australian zombie movie with the multi shotgun and the guy who got bitten by alien-infected zombie fish? I loved that movie and the ending was a pretty novel one for a zombie flick... It even held up on a second watch.

fakeedit: aha!

I could look it up on imdb but I'm lazy, is that the movie from the late 90's that came out right before zombie movies became popular again? fake edit, gently caress it I peeked. Yeah except it came out in 2003. Haven't seen it in over ten years.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Poirot series 12 is up on Netflix.

Night of the Living Dead goes off tomorrow, get your Romero fix now.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Len posted:

I just used my day off to watch Zoo on Netflix. It wasn't terrible. Definitely not a bad way to kill a boring day.

Hmmm, I watched the series and unapologetically enjoyed it despite 'tv science' and whole swaths of the plot being silly or not making sense. I think I enjoyed it because the show never took itself too seriously and the actors seemed to be having fun.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
iZombie goes up too. I'm not usually a fan of CW shows but it's good.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The other day I flipped on a tv show about a hostage taker wanting the prime minister to gently caress a pig on television or they would kill a princess. It didn't seem to be an intentional comedy but was incredibly random and stupid so I turned it off. I still wouldn't watch it but at least now I get the reference.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Netflix' wackiest series, Hemlock Grove, is back on Oct 23

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
New on Netflix is Infini, a scifi/horror about soldiers dispatched to a distant mining colony to figure out what happened to the miners. Yeah it probably sounds familiar but that's where the similarities with Alien end and similarities with another scifi classic began. It was good enough for me to put my phone down and pay attention. So its a mash up of better movies but a fairly well done mash up.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Don't know when it went up but Seasons 6 & 7 of The Murdoch Mysteries are on Netflix. I think I'm the only goon watching this but I'll get in my annual plug -- if you ever wanted to see a steam punk Sherlock Holmes-esqe detective series with guests like Buffalo Bill Cody, Houdini, Tesla, and even Arthur Conan Doyle, this is it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Haerc posted:

It's pretty interesting, there are some weird parts where it seems like they cut too much and something is said doesn't make any sense.

I know exactly what you mean and turned on subtitles because some dialogue was confusing, it didn't help much.

I watched Babadook which everyone was chatting about some time ago. It is competently well done psychological thriller/horror and scared the bejeebus out of my older teen daughter but she liked it. Also I am a broken man because I giggled like a schoolgirl at all the parts that scared her the most. I've been watching horror movies since I was about 6.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Captain Lavender posted:

David Tennant's character is completely terrifying, I love it. Not that a comparison is necessary, but I didn't love Dare Devil, and it made me hesitant to give this a try - but I'm glad I did. It's just got some more interesting character stuff going on, and doesn't have as much/any really bad acting.

Good to know. After DD, I wasn't excited about JJ or LC.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Scrooged is one my favorite Christmas movies although it does have some weak points. My wife hates it for some reason.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Opopanax posted:

Age of Ultron just went up, surprisingly.

Not that surprising, I think all their movies go on Epix and Netflix.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Ok Fella posted:

I'm not sure why there's so much Daredevil hate, I though it was good. What's the beef?
I prefer my Marvel shows less angsty with more action. The fight scenes were pretty good.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I loved the casting for DD except the guy playing Murdoch. He's okay as supporting actor material, not leading man material.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

coyo7e posted:

It's a necessary part of the comic book hero character arc as "a thing", and hardcore fans of any comic book herop that got a show, would lose their poo poo if it wasn't included somewhere and somehow.

I don't know, 9 y.o. me was a pretty hardcore DD fan and he wanted more rear end kicking and less moral conundrums; grownup me agrees with him. 9 y.o. me (he lives inside me like Kuato) also wants the world to know he is sick to death of origin stories especially on reboots.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

dumb. posted:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but The Detectorists is loving great

http://www.netflix.com/title/80065658

Super chill but somehow draws you in to the characters & plot. I haven't seen a series on Netflix yet with this kind of slow pace and simple story that simultaneously relaxes and completely entertains me so much.

Watch this show.

Added to the list, sounds quirky enough to interest me.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Inzombiac posted:

Friends play at being normal, productive members of society but they are racists, homophobic and possibly sociopathic.

So it's realistic. Friends was back during a time when I didn't watch television so I might check it out on Netflix.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

syscall girl posted:

It is not realistic to have a gigantic flat in Manhattan(?) rented out by marginally employed baristas.

Lots of shows have main characters living in places they couldn't possibly afford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I started watching The Lizzie Bordon Chronicles and unexpectedly my daughter is into it as well --- hmmm. Christina Ricci is perfectly cast and is eating it up. Cole Hauser plays a mercenary with an addiction and obsession, why does that sound familiar? <rhetorical> So far I've only watched the prequel, Lizzie Borden Took An Axe, and two episodes of The Chronicles, but I like it. I like that she kills 2 people per episode (so far anyway), definitely an overachiever. Cancelled unfortunately but it doesn't seem like a show that you could drag out season after season for the money CR must be demanding.

Tried to watch Making a Murderer but only 10-15 minutes in and I'm struggling to stay interested. People rave about it so I'm sure it gets good.