Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

13Pandora13 posted:

It's a slow burn, much like watching Breaking Bad you have to wait for some of the pieces to fall into place before it really sucks you in.

BB wasn't a slow burn.

The problem with MoaM is the "victim" is a scumbag and I give no shits that law enforcement hates him. The interesting story is if they frame him but I don't know if I can get that far.

wormil has a new favorite as of 02:03 on Feb 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

13Pandora13 posted:

Breaking Bad took like two seasons to be engaging instead of just curious. It was good, but kind of dull.

You are entitled to your completely wrong opinion.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Turtlicious posted:

Uhm, yeah no Breaking Bad was boring af until Season 3.

It honestly mostly floated by on the premise alone rather then engaging writing.

This reminds me, I haven't been on IMDB for awhile.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

13Pandora13 posted:

We get it, you're much smarter than us and have clearly superior taste in television and film.

I thought we were just playing, sorry if things got too rough.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

coyo7e posted:

So what you're saying is that you really hate poor, uneducated people? I really ended up having a pretty big soft spot for the poor guy. He and his family are obviously not going to ever improve their lot, but the guy really never got into any major trouble that most ignorant redneck guys in podunk towns would get into... Minor burglary and drunk and disordlies,

setting his cat on fire, running his cousin off the road, pointing a gun at her, while naked -- maybe you need to watch the first episode again. Also, it is ironic that you accuse me of hating poor people but then say most of them get into worse trouble than Avery -- you have it backwards which of us is the bigot. That behavior isn't acceptable regardless of income status; and most poor people do not act that way.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

om nom nom posted:

I'm on episode 4 of house of cards season 4 and I feel like it's better than season 3 so far. Season 1 was still the best though.

Good to hear. S3 was inconsistent

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The Detectorists is charming and hilarious. Everyone please watch it and maybe Netflix will hurry and get S2.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

10 Beers posted:

Season 2 of Daredevil just went up at 3am EST today. Made it through 3 episodes before work, and so far, it's awesome!

Awesome like last season or they fixed the pacing issues awesome?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah, I'm probably done with DD. Enjoyed the comic as a kid but not the series.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The first half of S1 AOS is mediocre, second half is much improved; but it takes off like a roller coaster after that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

coyo7e posted:

I liked Agents of Shield because it's fun and funny, the later seasons got kinda complicated and I petered out on watching them.

All you have to remember about AOS, is that ...Ward... is always evil and is the best TV villain because he sees himself as the good guy; and May is always irrelevant. Everything else is just side story. Seriously, imagine the series that way and you never get lost. I like that they are not afraid of making big plot moves and the pace is fast for TV. My wife misses an episode here and there and I have to spend 5 minutes explaining things. The only show I watch with a faster pace is The Last Ship (which does more in one episode than some series accomplish in a season).

13Pandora13 posted:

Gotham is worth a watch but I don't know if it's better or even "good" necessarily. It has some really, really great episodes but I just can't pin down how I feel about it as a whole. I didn't like it as much as Flash, but liked it more than Arrow. The tone and approach is completely different.

The only CW series I like at all is izombie but S2 is boring me. My daughter enjoys it and we watch it together otherwise I would have quit. (although I never get tired of Major's constant torment) Gotham never interested me, at all. It looks well made but over-dramatic, just not my thing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Binged S1 of Bosch and I can't decide if I hate it or like it. If you fed every cop script from the 70s, 80s, and 90s into a computer and asked it to write a script, this is exactly what it would spit out. So every scene feels like a rerun. There are moments in every episode where I feel like turning off the show. That said, it's really well done rerun and Welliver owns the character.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Stranger Things was interesting. Great job at capturing the vibe of the early 80s while playing around with some of the tropes. Pacing was slow as hell though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Stranger Things got a season 2. Same cast, more Upside Down.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

10 Beers posted:

I think I've posted this before, but the entirety of Justified is on Prime, and it you haven't seen it, holy poo poo you are missing out.

Usual disclaimer: First half of S1 isn't very good. The rest kicks rear end.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'll have to watch it now just because you guys are talking about it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Don't remember if Deathgasm was a forum recommendation but it's a lot of fun. New Zealand version of Evil Dead meets Trick or Treat.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
S1 of Todd Margaret was so bad I can't believe anyone wanted more.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'll stick with it until I get bored with it.

I made it 3 seasons. Episode 3.1 is the best.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Inzombiac posted:

Amazon is doing their pilot season right now any everyone should watch THE TICK.

I had my reservations about the casting but I liked it and it was pretty dang funny. Go watch it and be sure to rate it.

I'll watch it. The 2001 Tick had an awesome pilot but the series sucked.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Watched the Tick pilot as I was falling asleep last night, it was okay. I would watch 30 minute episodes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
One thing I will say about the Tick is it is highly quotable.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've watched The Tick pilot 4X now. Parts are boring as hell (FF>>) but the show really brightens when the Tick starts monologuing. I had to look it up but the Tick is played by the jerk roommate, Pete, in Shaun of the Dead.

Also watched Jean Claude Van Johnson. The concept reminded me of an 80's series called Cover Up. The dialogue was rough and the script felt rushed, like it was written during the car ride to the set, during a hangover, with no editing or rewrites. One good proofreading would have improved it considerably. The pacing was a little slow but the end was a blast. If they fix the problems I would definitely watch the series.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Don't know since when but Dead Set is up on Netflix. Looking forward to watching it again.

https://www.netflix.com/watch/70228945

wormil has a new favorite as of 08:03 on Sep 7, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
S2 of The Detectorists just went up.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I thought it was a spinoff of Once Upon a Time. What is it?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Field Mousepad posted:

I liked Tusk but everyone here hates it apparently.

I noticed Justin Long is in it so I might watch it for that reason.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Turtlicious posted:

... the arguing between the young boys seems to just be for tension building.

The entire show is just for tension building. It's okay not to like something. I was less impressed with it than most but it did a lot of things right and some things exceptionally well. But I felt it dragged at times which is odd since it isn't that many episodes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Zoo is crazy in a fun way. If you expect serious animal apocalypse then you will be disappointed. My only gripe is they back off the crazy a bit toward the end of the season.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
netflix:

I watched 2 episodes of Doctor Foster, the description made it sound like a mystery but it comes off as complex chick drama. Any comments? I'm not inclined to watch any more.

Watched the 2 episode pilot of Emergency!, a 70's series on the beginnings of their paramedic units and passage of the Wedworth-Townsend Paramedic Act. Surprisingly well done and a serious dramatization of the issues and concerns surrounding the act by doctors and trained paramedics.

Tried to watch Spotless but only made it about 1/2 way through the first episode. VERY by the numbers and one trope after another. Every scene felt like I had seen it dozens of times.

The Bletchley Circle is about a group of female code breakers post WWII that get bored and solve murders. It is outstanding.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I seem to remember people saying there is a point where Bojack Horseman gets good, is that during S1 or later? We watched 3 episodes earlier and I don't care if I ever watch another.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Fumaofthelake posted:

Ignore the above post. Give it 4 or 5 episodes.

What post? :smug:

Okay thanks, I'll watch a few more.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Thing about Lost is that clearly there was never a plan for success and each season is kinda seat of the pants. At times I loved it and sometimes it was frustrating but it had one of the best series finales I've ever seen.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Mr Holmes is on Amazon Prime. Sherlock is near the end of his life, is suffering from alzheimer's, and tries to remember the case the sent him to retirement. All he knows for sure is that the real ending was different than Watson's story and he assumes that if it sent him into retirement that he was unsuccessful. If you go in expecting to see the genius you will be disappointed, Holmes is a shadow of his former self, but Ian McKellen is outstanding and I was pulled in from the get go.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Fumaofthelake posted:

Give it 4 or 5 episodes.

This turned out to be spot on. By ep 6 it felt like a different show.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Watched an episode of Pacific Heat and everyone who said it was terrible wasn't lying.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Was looking through new series on Amazon and they are getting some weird and off the wall stuff.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Inzombiac posted:

Crazy Heads is a British dark comedy about two women that can see demons and do their best to fight them.
They are... not great at it.

Watched the first episode, it's so British, but I enjoyed it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Pluto is neat. It's fun to just flip through and watch random old shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

... felt that as a 36yr old straight male I am not even slightly the target demographic.

I got that vibe just from the promos.

In other news, watched ep1 of Travelers (netflix) and it's good. Feels like a competent Continuum ripoff.