Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Opie_Yates posted:

If you use Hola, Netflix Sweden has "Master and Commander The Far Side of the World" up. It is awesome and I really wish they had made more movies. There is a lot of material in the Aubrey-Maturin series of books to go with, but I guess there is not enough of a demand.

I saw this twice on opening day back in 2003 and couldn't loving wait for a home release. It's one of my all-time favorite films. It won two Oscars that year, and was nominated for ten. I could gush about it all drat day. Go watch it if you haven't seen it.

(I found the following on U.S. Netflix)

The Grand Seduction is a very fun film. A tiny harbor town in Newfoundland is trying to convince a major petrochemical company to build its newest facility there in order to fix the town's ailing economy. Before the company will sign an agreement and start building, however, the town needs to prove that it has a town doctor (which it doesn't). The townsfolk manage to find a big city plastic surgeon and spend most of the film lying to him and manipulating him to convince him to stay.

Shooter stars Mark Wahlberg, Michael Peņa, and Kate Mara's boobs. Wahlberg is a super special forces sniper guy who is framed for trying to assassinate the president. It's surprisingly not terrible for an action film starring Mark Wahlberg.

Danny DeVito-directed Duplex is pretty funny (if you can stomach Ben Stiller). A young couple buys a duplex where the upstairs apartment is rent controlled and already occupied by a sweet old lady that they're forbidden to evict. The ink isn't even dry on the sale agreement when they realize the "sweet old lady" is seemingly hellbent on ruining their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
If you're thinking of watching How I Live Now because you're expecting a post-apocalyptic survival love story, just skip it. This film was not fun at all.

Here's a short summary: Bitchy American girl fucks her creepy cousin, London gets bombed, American girl then traipses around some woods with one of the most hideous child actors in history. Also the last four words of the final monologue in the film are the title of the film. So clever!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Paycheck is up. John Woo directs a Philip K Dick adaptation. Not very good, but watch it for Michael C. Hall's srs government man voice.

Also some scenes feel like a sneak peak at Ben Affleck as Batman.

I like it. It's a fun future-tech film. And, it happens to have one of my all-time favorite movie scenes in it:

*uses prognostication machine, sees self die in the future*

"Oh gently caress I better get out of here before that hap-"

*takes one step, immediately dies*

:allears:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Desperado Bones posted:

There's one thing I just remembered, and makes me wonder if that's the deal. Over here a TV network can buy a series and will have exclusive rights on it for a certain time. Exclusive rights means that if they want, they can keep that series hidden from the public. That happened with Evangelion and a bunch of other animes, right in the moment anime was hot in Mexico, one network bought a bunch of popular titles and never aired them,until years later when the hype was dying. SO, I guess some network has the rights for Grimm and is not letting it go? :/ I don't have cable so I'm not sure what channel is airing it, or if they have finished airing the third season. I guess I'll have find another way to watch it.

Yeah, exclusivity can just as easily be used to deny your competitors access to something as it can to brag about how it's only on your channel. Sometimes, you buy it just so someone else can't have it. That may be what happened here.

Back in the day, affiliates used to fight viciously over exclusivity rights for feature films, because you were king poo poo if you could be the first to air Independence Day or whatever on your channel. I remember one such fight amongst several affiliate stations in our tri-state area back when I was an undergrad--they were going apeshit trying to secure exclusivity for the Kurt Russel film Soldier. They were all dying to be the first to show it.

Usually, the company would give exclusivity for a few weeks or a month before making it available to other paying customers. Somehow, the underdog affiliate that sucked and whose channel nobody ever watched managed to secure exclusivity...

...for one day.

They celebrated and rubbed it in everyone's faces by playing loving Soldier for 24 hours straight. They'd roll credits and the VO guy would come on excitedly: "That was Soldier, and up next is the blockbuster Kurt Russel film Soldier, available first here on Channel 12!"

It was amazing.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah I had no idea it was spoof.

I didn't either. I thought it was just another romcom set in NYC, but by the end I was in tears and my sides ached.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Netflix stop putting major spoilers in your descriptions please

Do I write my congressman about this or what

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Rolo posted:

I'm watching Big Trouble in Little China and I cannot figure out why everyone likes this movie. I'm not saying I don't like it, I like it a lot. I just don't get why.

You leave Jack Burton alone :mad:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

syscall girl posted:

You sycophants can't leave someone alone for saying they don't know why they like thing you like?

"You leave Jack Burton alone" is a line from the film. I was being silly.

Rolo, buddy, I'm glad you liked it. It's a really fun film.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

wormil posted:

I stumbled across an HBO series on Amazon called Hung, about a down and out basketball coach with a big penis. I watched 2 episodes expecting it to be a comedy but strangely it's not. What's the skinny, worth watching? The 2 eps I watched were okay but the series seems very predictable.

I liked it. 1redflag is right, though--the 3rd season fizzles out. Nonetheless, everything leading up to it is pretty entertaining. And yeah, it's not a comedy comedy, but there were lots of things that happened in the show that made my sides ache from laughing. I'd say if you finish season 1 and aren't charmed, you can bail without missing out on anything.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Captain Lavender posted:

And if you had to choose between Voyager or Deep Space 9, which would you watch?

Popular consensus is that DS9 is the better of the two. Personally, I liked Voyager, but :shrug:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

wormil posted:

New on Netflix is Infini, a scifi/horror about soldiers dispatched to a distant mining colony to figure out what happened to the miners. Yeah it probably sounds familiar but that's where the similarities with Alien end and similarities with another scifi classic began. It was good enough for me to put my phone down and pay attention. So its a mash up of better movies but a fairly well done mash up.

I didn't care for the cheeseball ending, but the film overall is solid. It's definitely worth watching if you're into scifi.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
(These are all Netflix U.S.)

The Best Offer was added a while back. Stars Geoffrey Rush as an auctioneer and collector of forged paintings, who meets a reclusive young woman that hires him to evaluate her estate for auction. It's pretty darn good, and Rush delivers a stellar performance (though not as stellar as his role in Quills, which is also available to stream).

I'm not usually in the mood for films about struggling artists, but The Impostors is a goofy romp starring Oliver Platt and Stanley Tucci (Tucci is also the writer and director) as out-of-work actors struggling to land a gig. It's very lighthearted and funny, and well worth watching.

Syrup is based on Max(x) Barry's novel by the same name, but diverges from the plot, themes, and messages of the book pretty quickly. It sort of feels like it's being pulled from several different directions, and never really turns into anything worth seeing. I guess put it on if you're bored or are an especially huge fan of the book. Otherwise, meh.

The Suicide Theory is a dark drama about an assassin who's been hired to murder a man who supposedly can't be killed. Who ordered the hit? The potential victim himself. A terrific film.

Helix ended up not being too bad (for a Sci-Fi Channel show). Season 2 is pretty trippy.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

coyo7e posted:

Pretty sure I saw this one and quite liked it, it was really interesting although at first I was pretty dubious. This was a like british film and the immortal guy's face was all scarred and wrecked, right?

Yep, that's the one! I was a little iffy on it at the beginning, too. I'm glad I kept watching--it's really good.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Love (2011)

If you read the description and thought "Hey, I'll add this to my list because it looks like a cool astronaut/time travel/survival story," delete it immediately.

If you're into pretentious art house filmmakers trying really really hard to be Stanley Kubrick and artistic exercises masquerading as movies that spend ninety minutes going absolutely nowhere and making no sense whatsoever, boy howdy, is this one for you!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Totally TWISTED posted:

Thanks for this anti-suggestion. Removed!

No problem, and I'm glad to have saved you an hour and a half of your life. There are very few films that I'm actually grumpy about having seen from start to finish, and that one is high on the list. I'm sure it has some merit as an artistic exercise, but as a standalone title billed as a time travel/space movie, no friggin' way.

Retail Slave posted:

I have it on my list and I was debating watching it the other day. Is it more of a thriller? Drama? Other?

Falls neatly into the "drama" category.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Netflix U.S.:

Visions starts off as a bog-standard haunted house story--couple moves into a new home, wife starts seeing weird poo poo (like mysterious hooded figures, glass breaking out of nowhere, and guns appearing out of thin air), nobody else sees it or believes her, she does some research and finds out that previous occupants thought the joint was full of ghosts, etc. I honestly thought it was going to be a total yawner ("Oh, the house was built on an ancient burial site!"), but was pleasantly surprised with how things turned out. Definitely worth watching.

If you're into revenge flicks (and don't mind Korean audio with English subtitles), you need to watch Oldboy. A drunk is picked up without warning or explanation and held in a private prison for fifteen years. When he finally gets out, he's obsessed with finding out who put him there and why. This film is amazing :toot:

The Academy Award-nominated World of Tomorrow is an animated short that answers the question, "Has Don Hertzfeldt finally learned how to draw something other than stick figures doing wacky things?" The answer is noep, enjoy 17 minutes of stick figures doing wacky things

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

RNG posted:

I was looking for... something one night and came across a set of test videos. The one I've got saved on my list is "Example 2 Hour 23.976 Remote." If you're into test patterns and poo poo, give it a go, it's pretty weird. (turn subtitles on, too)

Those example videos are the best. Do yourself a favor and go read the user reviews of them :peanut:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

1redflag posted:

Stranger Things

At first glance, that smacked of an ABC Family preteen sci-fi/drama. Did I count it out too soon?

For reference, what little of Hemlock Grove I've seen is some of the worst media produced by a profit-seeking entity that I've ever had the misfortune of being subjected to. I only bring it up because it's another Netflix series described as supernatural and scifi, and I want one of those Men in Black memory eraser thingys so goddamn bad

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

1redflag posted:

I'd definitely watch the first episode in its entirety to see if you'd like it, but realize it slow burns the first two episodes then gets pretty crazy. Definitely not an ABC family preteen show.

Cool, will do.

Limitless (Netflix) is a series based on the film of the same title. The base formula is essentially the same (unmotivated slob takes drug of unknown origin, becomes super genius), but this time our reformed layabout uses his enhanced brain powers to fight crime. It's pretty enjoyable, especially if you were a fan of the film.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ExCruceLeo posted:

Doesn't Bradley cooper show up in the show at some point too? So it's actually tied to the movie in more than just super drug plot?

Yep. He does more than just show up--he's in several episodes as his character from the film. He's also the show's executive producer.

It takes place a little while after the film ends. It's definitely tied to the movie, but you don't have to have seen it to understand what's going on. They're pretty good about not doing callbacks or making references to events in the film without explaining them.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Crow Jane posted:

All of the casting has been spot on so far.

http://www.slashfilm.com/dane-cook-american-gods-cast/

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

wormil posted:

Stranger Things was interesting. Great job at capturing the vibe of the early 80s while playing around with some of the tropes. Pacing was slow as hell though.

I'm really glad people suggested it or I otherwise wouldn't have watched it. It was pretty darn good, and they absolutely nailed the 80s aesthetic without being too cheesy. The only complaint I have is the same as yours, though--the pacing was infuriating at times.

Also, here lies Barb, in another dimension, eaten by a monster. She is survived by nobody and will be missed by her closest friend, abject loneliness

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ryoshi posted:

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the new season of Todd Margaret, which is fantastic and a little surreal.

I didn't even see it drop until a couple days ago. It's a helluva trip and definitely worth it.

Good lord, the Garden Party reveal was brilliant

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

epsilon-6 posted:

So does anybody have any theories on what the gently caress was going on in season 3 of Todd Margaret?

"This continues on and on in similar iterations forever and ever because Todd Margaret's mind is the universe and it occasionally needs a restart?"

And/or David Cross got high as balls and thought "gently caress man what if I was so important that the entire cosmos was in my mind," and ran with it

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Atticus_1354 posted:

Yippie-Ki-Yay MotherFucker?

YOU LEAVE JACK BURTON ALONE

Turtlicious posted:

I really didn't like Stranger Things, it feels like The plot and dialog are really wooden, and the arguing between the young boys seems to just be for tension building. The whole bit with the scientist seems really forced and not believable and the back story really doesn't interest me..

The PYF Unpopular Opinions thread is thataway bro

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Jane the Virgin is some of the most hilarious TV I've seen in ages. (Netflix)

It's a telenovela on steroids, played mostly seriously but clearly meant to ape the genre. Don't be scared off by "telenovela;" it's very accessible if your first language is English and I don't mean in a "just read the subtitles" way. A vast majority of the dialogue is in English and even if you don't speak a word of Spanish, it's clear from the context what the Spanish lines are.

I don't want to spoil too much but the premise is laid out in the first seconds of the show--Jane was waiting to have sex until she was married, and during a routine gynecological exam, her doctor confuses her for another patient and artificially inseminates her instead of doing a simple exam.

What follows is an amalgamation of every telenovela ever, except with the intensity turned to 11. Betrayals, evil twins, characters disappearing for episodes and then coming back inexplicably, etc., and all of it is narrated by the excessively talented Anthony Mendez in real time.

It's amazing.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Rolo posted:

A friend from college works on that show and posts about it on Facebook all the time. It looks good and I hope it does well, he's a cool dude.

Tell your friend from college some guy from the internet said he's a cool dude working on a cool show and wish him well for me

Inzombiac posted:

3% on Netflix.

Thanks for this. We put it on last night and were very impressed. The premise almost makes it sound like a Hunger Games knockoff but it's far from it and well worth watching.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

salty fries make me cry posted:

I just watched Gantz:0 and it was loving great. It's a 3D animated movie apparently based on an anime series (which I have never seen) about people fighting demons in a weird real-world MMORPG type thing with sci-fi tech.

The plot doesn't make a whole lot of sense but the movie is 90% awesome fights with great CGI, very unique weapons, and some really interesting and sometimes hilarious monster design.

We watched that recently, too. Having seen the series and read the manga, it's drat good. The manga is long as hell but the film does a good job of condensing the best parts and cutting out a lot of the pacing issues that plagued the source materials.

The CGI, though, is breathtaking. There were legit times I thought they'd transitioned to live-action--it's that good.

And yeah, there's a lot of stuff that they didn't bother explaining, like why the monsters showed up They're illegal aliens that have been hiding on our planet. In both senses of the word "alien." Some came to Earth looking for work, some as refugees, and some as bad hombres. The Gantz teams are charged with either capturing or killing them., but it's definitely enjoyable without all that extra fluff.

I hope they're working on a sequel because some seriously insane poo poo happens in the last quarter of the manga that if given the same treatment, will make Gantz:0 look tame.

One big difference between it and the manga that I found odd, just as a curiosity: In the manga, the battle-crazy freaks the Tokyo team meets up with are actually Americans, not another Japanese team. They probably didn't want to offend us by depicting us as enormous assholes?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
edit: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ FUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Forever_Peace posted:

First episode of Sense8 had intriguing bits but also lots of weird monologues and ponderous dialogue. Worth continuing?

Give it a couple episodes to introduce everybody and give you an idea of the whole situation they're dealing with, then decide. There are eight primary characters, so it takes a minute to flesh out who everybody is. I think it's pretty darn good, but don't force yourself to watch it if you're not enjoying it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
(Netflix U.S. but probably everywhere because it's been dubbed into like every language ever)

Okja, directed and written by Joon-ho Bong (The Host, Snowpiercer)

Warning: Gushing inbound!

Do yourself a favor and watch this. Seriously. It is so hard to pin down exactly what it is that I'm having trouble articulating why. It definitely doesn't fit into any pre-made pigeonhole.

You'll be guessing the entire time. Even when it's over, you still will be grasping at what exactly the film was, what it meant, what it was trying to mean, and even what you yourself thought of it. It's "where is this even going," but in a good way.

At first, you might be tempted to turn it off because you'll assume it's a children's movie about a girl going on a journey to rescue her adorable CG animal friend. This would be a mistake.

Then, when some people show up to help our apparent heroine, you might groan and reach for the remote, assuming it's a propaganda piece. Again, a mistake.

You might want to turn it off when you see how absolutely cartoonishly evil the evil corporation the bad guys work for is. Don't.

It slowly introduces possibilities as to its goal or message as a film, then subtly negates them. For example (very, very minor spoiler), you've just decided it's a classic tale of a child thwarting an evil corporation who is hellbent on exploiting her animal friend for profit--a children's movie staple--when you hear the first "gently caress". It happens so suddenly and fits the scene so well it may go unnoticed until you think "wait a minute, this can't be a kids' movie."

That subtle negation of your expectations is a unique ability that few filmmakers have, and Joon-ho Bong has nailed it perfectly.

So go watch it!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Re: Castlevania

On the one hand, I'm thrilled when someone has free license to take an IP and run with it. American Gods, while...a bit underwhelming at times during its first season, was a refreshing change of pace after so many by-the-numbers "series inspired by [other work]."

On the other hand, American Gods (the series) manages to be engaging and interesting, all the while straying pretty darn far from the story in the novel.

I'm not even sure what the hell they're going for, but I've bailed wholesale. It seems like it should be a cakewalk (especially considering the medium): a cursed vampire-hunting badass walks into Dracula's castle and wrecks the absolute poo poo out of spirits, monsters, ghouls, mummies, etc. for a half hour at a time. How do you screw that up? The story pretty much writes itself, and you get the benefit of being able to draw upon famous mythological creatures that are firmly in the public domain like Frankenstein's Monster. How do you mess that up?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

coyo7e posted:

You mess it up by tying it to one of the most over-written and inbred franchises out there. You've gotta remember that Castlevania was begun back in the days when naming a character "Alucard" deserved you spoilering that it's actually DRACULA spelled backwards!

Most of the stories for most of the Castlevania games are incomprehensible garbage though. They throw a new Belmont in, add in Dracula's son and some other subcharacters, and then it's just a vehicle for you dodging vampire bats and whipping candles and using crosses as boomerangs. I'm sure there's a manga for it, which is mainly filled with darkly brooding male heart-throbs, who pensively brood, darkly. A lot.

I knew that comparison would bite me in the rear end.

But really, the story was laid out pretty darn well in the original NES title: Dracula is a bad dude and comes back to life to ruin poo poo once every 100 years and a Belmont is the only one who can put him in his place. And Belmont uses a whip. That's pretty much it.

It seems like a writer's dream come true--because he's an evil villain mastermind, Dracula puts tons of supernatural guards in his castle to thwart Belmont's efforts, but after slaying the monster-of-the-week once an episode for most of a season, it's time for the final showdown in a two-part season finale where Belmont owns the poo poo out of Dracula and everything is fine until oh crap during the credits you see his remaining minions gathering parts of his dead body for some nefarious purpose. Boom, season two is ready to go.

But yeah I'm almost positive without even looking that there's a manga out there it's based on and it's broody and dark as hell

syscall girl posted:

Anyways if you want a good show with Frankensteins, wolfs man, mummies and Draculas watch Penny Dreadful.

Penny Dreadful was...surprisingly good. I think my perception might be colored, though, by the fact that Mrs. Fai marathoned loving Hemlock Grove right before we watched it. Guddrat that poo poo is the worst.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

jodai posted:

Also, I probably would have turned off Okja if it weren't for Gotta Stay Fai's recommendation/review.

Mrs. Fai and I have a "five minute rule" for streaming content that we've never seen before. At any point during the show/movie, either of us can say "okay, this has five minutes and if it doesn't get good, we're done." I invoked it the first time we tried to watch it, then rolled my eyes and after five minutes said "Yeah okay, kid movie: she saves the animal friend. Whatever, let's watch something else now"

Holy poo poo am I glad she resumed it after I shut it off, even if it was only because we wanted background noise while we were doing household chores.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I'll be the first one to admit that we are missing out on some good stuff. We don't have a lot of free time to spend watching TV together (part of being an adult or whatever grown-rear end people do), so we try to make it count. Flawed strategy? Yeah. Sometimes stuff falls through the cracks, and hopefully we end up coming back to it during the weekend.

But, hey, we were definitely reminded that you can't judge something based on the first episode/fifteen minutes. It's not like we use it as an iron-clad rule for everything we watch, but when we do have time to spend, we try to do our best to make sure we're not wasting it by watching garbage.

Pilots, though, get a pass. Holy moley, go back and watch the pilot for Scrubs and then compare it to even the next two or three episodes. The difference is ridiculous, and we'd have been idiots to have bailed that early.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I stick to the one episode rule on anime, especially stuff that Netflix does. Knights of Sydonia's first episode was incomprehensible junk so I never bothered going further.

You didn't miss much. It was...okay. Definitely weird and it's a horrible dub (hello again same old localization voice actors!) but, eh, I might watch more of it if they decide to continue. At least the finale of the first season was kind of cool.

edit:

Inspector 34 posted:

Well he did say they can invoke the rule at any point in the program. I kind of doubt they're using it at the opening credits. I mean yeah, sure, pilot episodes and sometimes entire first seasons are mediocre but turn out spectacular, but if you're like 45 minutes into a movie and it's not at all entertaining I could understand giving it an ultimatum. 5 minutes seems a little short for a major change of heart, but I get the idea of it.

Yeah, maybe I was a little unclear. Not five minutes in, but at some point one of us says "gently caress this I'm out" and we watch for five more minutes to give it a chance to turn around. We watched The Great Wall for nearly an hour before I couldn't bear it anymore. No point in finishing the drat thing if you think it's awful. Thankfully, Mrs. Fai agreed and we moved on to something else.

matt damon i trusted you man you were jason bourne what happened

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Jul 12, 2017

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
(U.S. Netflix (and maybe elsewhere i dunno))

Salt and Fire

Holey moley, what a stinker. Billed as an "eco thriller," this film neither conveys an ecological message nor thrills. It watches more like a freshman submission to an arthouse film contest than anything else, and it's not even really good at being a bad arthouse film, either.

The dialogue is stilted, the acting is laughable (what can you do when the script is garbage, though?), the story meanders around, sometimes dipping a toe into "complete nonsense" territory, and the sound mixing is headache-inducing at times.

The cinematography is by far the most irritating part of the film. It's hard to hear the dialogue sometimes over the sound of the cinematographer masturbating furiously behind the camera "Nnngh I am SO awesome, that Academy Award is loving mine uuggghnnn" Yes, we get it, the landscape is a lovely juxtaposition of beauty and tragedy that gives a sense of being on an alien planet. Yep, still get it. Thanks for the slow 360 pan (again) but no--really--we get it, you can stop. Please stop. Turn off the crane, please. No, you cannot just go get the jib instead. Just stop. This isn't Planet Earth dude knock it off argh

I'm going to spoiler this next part in case some brave soul takes the plunge. Enjoy the pretty landscapes, I guess, because there's no other reason to sit through the whole thing.

At one point, a character is in the middle of a monologue and actually looks into the camera and says the title of the film. Remember that episode of Upright Citizens Brigade
where the guy makes up the titular line in Star Wars? It was just like that, only somehow sincere, and somehow cheesier than "I sure am tired of all these star wars."

0/5 would not recommend.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Let's Be Evil (U.S. Netflix)

Imagine a humdrum bottle episode of a C- grade Sci-Fi channel show, only it's a feature-length movie. The acting and writing are terrible, and it's not really scary, or thrilling, or interesting. I'm trying my damnedest to think of a single redeeming quality and I'm coming up short, here. Sometimes the colors were pretty, I guess?

Embers (U.S. Netflix)

Read the synopsis and imagine what the film could be. Then, go do literally anything else.

Some sort of a plague makes everyone lose the ability to hold new memories, but not all in the same way--one person's memories may last a day, others may last mere seconds. There's one uninfected girl locked in a shelter. People wander around, not being able to remember stuff. That's pretty much it. Watches more like a demo for the director's new camera than it does a coherent film, but that's arthouse cinema for you.

Orange is the New Black: Season 5 (U.S. Netflix but probably elsewhere)

I'm torn. A lot of season 5 is really good. Some parts are really bad. If I were to go back and watch it again, I'd skip everything involving Piper and Alex and the tragically non-comedic comic relief of the two racist methheads that I care so little about that I can't even remember their names. The former relationship is stale as a week-old baguette at this point and the latter gimmick is yawn-inspiringly boring.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

food court bailiff posted:

I'm like halfway through this season and it's kind of jarring. I liked the setup and I like that they're changing things up but it seems like they've completely tossed subtlety out the window, not that OitNB was ever really understated. It just keeps bashing the viewer over the head with stuff. "HEY LOOK!! Alex is trying to avoid being a leader but she's giving her speech in front of a big bold sign calling her a king! Let's linger on that shot for a full minute, to make sure that people see it! Oh hey, the Muslim woman and the blonde white power woman are both dealing with nearly identical relationship woes, but they can't commiserate because of their racism and prejudice! Do you know what we haven't done on this show? A hamfisted rooftop Pieta!"

It reigns that crap in right around where you are and starts getting its act together from there on out. It's almost as if the writers didn't really know where they were going so they padded a few episodes with more-or-less encapsulated vignettes about race, identity, sexuality, power, etc.

Don't get me wrong--you're still in for a couple of eye-rollers (Piper and Alex uggggh), but for the most part, it gets better.

Oh and FYI having subtitles on may reveal the identity of someone whose identity hasn't been revealed yet at that point in the season by describing what he or she is doing, so if you don't need them maybe turn them off. Specifically when things get "spooky" here soon and the tone shifts briefly to a more horror/scary movie style.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Len posted:

It's just for some reason I've never heard anyone ever reference the other two only Oldboy. I have all three somewhere at my parents too but Oldboy is the only one that ever gets mentioned

Not that the other films are bad per se, it's just that Oldboy is by far the strongest of the bunch. I'm not one to yell at the TV often but the first time I saw the climax, I definitely gasped and shouted "OH NO loving WAY!" Chan-wook Park knows how to tell a revenge story, that's for guddamn sure.

Inzombiac posted:

It's very clever and doesn't feel like it's wasting your time.

This is actually a pretty good description of the series as a whole. I went into it thinking I'd bail pretty early and ended up starting it over as soon as it was done instead. It's wonderfully witty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Harmonquest Season 2 is amazingly disappointing, especially when compared to the first season.

It's a mess. I can live with the occasional technical issue (sound mixing, editing gaffes, etc.), but the first several episodes look as though they were filmed one right after another after a bender and slapped together at the last minute. Harmon is fatigued as hell, like he's nursing a massive hangover, stumbling over thoughts and sentences, Jeff Davis looks like he just got off a 30-hour flight and went straight to the studio carrying a pile of blazers to change into between episodes, and the first few guests seem like they don't really know why they are there or what to do. Even Spencer seems off his game a bit.

Erin McGathy either didn't go to the party with them or has a secret hangover cure because she's (for the most part) fine.

And some things are just weird, like Harmon introducing McGathy as his ex-wife at the beginning of each episode. Seriously, what the gently caress? That's awkward as hell. And why was Aparna Nancherla introduced as "a new friend" with no elaboration as to how she and Harmon know each other or even what she does for a living?

also this may just be me but holy poo poo there is a super weird vibe between Harmon and Gillian Jacobs, who he worked with on Community. it's like they dated briefly and he broke it off, but he keeps finding hand and nose prints on the outside of his bedroom window in the morning

The animation is top-notch, though. One of the scant few good things I can say about the season so far.