Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

This thread is of interest to me.

I'll recommend a movie that I was turned onto from the previous thread, Mr Nobody, the storyline is out-there/disjointed but I think the weirdness is worth it.

edit: Also a mod should change the thread tag since OP don't know how to OP right.

tangy yet delightful has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Nov 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Trillest Parrot posted:

I loved watching David Cross gently caress up exponentially in The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret. All 12 episodes are on Netflix US and Will Arnett is also in it. It got renewed recently after being off air for a few years. Don't read anything about it, there's spoilers loving everywhere.

It really is a great short series, especially if you have some knowledge to get the English-specific jokes.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Forever_Peace posted:

Touching the Void - About as intense as survival stories go. Man is left for dead with a broken leg on one of the most treacherous mountains in the world.
Going through the thread and adding new stuff to my queue (lol fuckers changed it to list because people can't spell queue probably), so anyway I just wanted to second this recommendation. Even my wife liked it!

As for some suggestions for the thread:

I have recently started re-watching Dollhouse - the first few episodes seem like the show could be a formulaic no long-term plot show, but if you give it time it opens up into a bit of a sci-fi / dystopian series that wraps up nicely.

Joyride sucks mainly because of the whiney kid voices on top of everything else and the one pair of tits can't save it.

Anaconda is bad but in a good way, nice to revisit the 90s with J-Lo "acting". Snakes on a Plane is superior of course but hey.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Gaunab posted:

Snakes on a plane is inferior to Anaconda.
I may be biased to anything containing Samuel L. Jackson.

Len posted:

Wasn't like the entire first season hooker of the week episodes and then you get that dvd only episode that shows a dystopian future. And then it was announced that there wasn't going to be a season 3 and season 2 was interesting just for it to never return?

I think after the first 3-4 episodes the extended storyline starts to develop, albeit under the guise of hooker of the week episodes so I can certainly see where you're coming from. The end of S1 has a "future" sort of episode and then you have S2 + it's final episode on Netflix (no idea about the DVD only thing since I've only seen it on netflix). I do wish they'd had a way to do a S3 though, you're totally right that S2 is better than S1 and I think that trend could have continued and wrapped up better with a third installment.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Rolo posted:

I liked The Interview and James Franco was my favorite because he's funny.

:colbert:

It is a stupid movie, but it is also funny, well worth the price of Netflix. Especially when you're living with someone to share the cost and then you compare that to the cost of a movie ticket. Definitely not a movie worth seeing in theaters.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

That's pretty much the entire point, it's satirizing modern-day police militarization and the ubiquitousness of white collar crime just like how the original satirized the crime and politics of the 80s.

As much as I prefer the original and wish the remake had been inventive enough to tell a story without cribbing from the "established universe" I still think 2014 worked and agree with Sleeveless' points.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

terrible digital squibs and obvious compositing and CGI.

This is what put the nail in the coffin on the movie for me. I can handle the horrible script, and the poorly laid out scenes/action because my expectation is "lovely action movie". Note that my expectation is not "good action movie callback to the 80s" here. But then the effects make it look like a made for TV movie and that is a line that, when crossed, just instantly ruins it for me. If I want to watch TV I'll watch The A-Team re-runs.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

flosofl posted:

For me the stylish way they did the end credits was far more engaging than the movie itself.

Oddly enough that really did stand out to me too. The Rock :allears:

I am going to have to finally watch bojack horseman...soon.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Love (2011)

If you read the description and thought "Hey, I'll add this to my list because it looks like a cool astronaut/time travel/survival story," delete it immediately.

If you're into pretentious art house filmmakers trying really really hard to be Stanley Kubrick and artistic exercises masquerading as movies that spend ninety minutes going absolutely nowhere and making no sense whatsoever, boy howdy, is this one for you!

Thanks for this anti-suggestion. Removed!

I will echo the poster further up saying that The Best Offer is worth a watch, personally I loved it.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Had no problems watching GoT at our friends house on their Now account tonight. Seems like the servers were good or we got lucky.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Len posted:

I started Galavant today and it's definitely good. You guys didn't say that Weird Al was a singing Monk though. That alone would have got my interest.

Starting on this myself. There is an episode called Comedy Gold. Very SA.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

wormil posted:

I thought they might convert old ratings into thumbs but nah, I guess we start over from scratch. It seems Netflix wants to follow Youtube into dumbing down and fixing things until they break.

I think I still have the stars on PS3, will have to check tomorrow at this point but that's unfortunate if this is a full fledged roll out and not some pilot program bullshit.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Rolo posted:

Just got caught up on the last couple seasons of Walking Dead. Holy god that show sucks now. Like 24 hours worth of tv and nothing happens.

Thanks for this. I haven't watched in years and someone just yesterday was trying to tell me it was good now.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Rough Lobster posted:

I actually thought Westworld was incredibly overwrought, kinda dumb and took itself too seriously. I kept having flashes to Battlestar Galactica while watching it. It definitely has great production values and all the titties and stuff that goes along with an HBO show, but I still found it lacking. One of the reasons was I found it incredibly hard to suspend my disbelief pretty much at all times. People invent sentient humanlike AI's and house them in undying and undetectable human bodies and they use this for...the world's biggest theme park? Seeing more of the society that made THAT choice would be infinitely more interesting than the amusement park itself, but sadly we never get to leave the park and see the outside world.

Overall I was disappointed, coming from one of Johnathan Nolan's other shows (Person of Interest which is good and has a lot of heart).

If you saw the final episode of Westworld you should be excited for season 2.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

om nom nom posted:

What should I watch on HBO?

Basically now that Westworld is done we're planning to cancel HBO until the next worthwhile show is on (probably GOT). My girlfriend is going to start up the account so we get another free month.

I'm not in any rush to cancel, I just don't want to have an extra $15/month coming out of the bank for something I barely use. What movies are on that I should watch (blade runner 2049 is on my list)? What shows are worth it? Ive watched a lot of the series (GoT, true blood, some of Veep, vice principals, east bound and down, gunpowder, plus others that aren't coming to mind atm).

So what are your favorite/the best HBO shows and movies?

The current options have already been spoken for but as someone that likes to watch good movies but doesn't have the time/$$ to spend on seeing stuff on the big screen I find that HBO is awesome for catching at least 2 solid new release level movies a month that Netflix won't have available.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Rolo posted:

Just watched Million Dollar Baby for the first time without having anything spoiled for me. I knew it was well known and I love boxing movies.

Jesus Christ.

Very good movie. I should probably give it a rewatch sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Reign Of Pain posted:

I don't know how I've missed Layer Cake all these years.

Daniel Craig
Sienna Miller - good god she's hot in black lacy stockings :fap:
Michael Gambon
Tom Hardy(small part)
Ben Whishaw
Burn Gorman

There's a lot more people in it that im still recognizing.

netflix

e: Forgot to mention Colm Meany is in it too

Thanks for this rec, watched it last night intending to just watch half before bed. Ended up watching all the way through.