Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Retail Slave posted:

Does Amazon Prime have enough separate content from Hulu and Netflix to be worth the price? I'm thinking of splurging, but I don't want to flush $100 down the toilet if it's just pretty much the same stuff I can get on the other two apps.

We only have Amazon Prime, although we resubscribe to Netflix about once a year to catch up on the new stuff they add, and then we cancel after a month or two.

Personally, I feel like I've run out of stuff to watch on Amazon Prime for now, but they do have some great shows that aren't on Netflix (and I have no idea about Hulu Plus): Hannibal, Justified, The Americans, Orphan Black, and all those HBO shows, especially The Wire and Deadwood. If you add in the Comedy Central content (including a LOT of half-hour stand-up specials), the free streaming music, and free shipping on Amazon orders (even though they recently started charging sales tax and offering tinier discounts), I think it would be worthwhile to subscribe to for a year, and then you can reevaluate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

The Mentalizer posted:

Yeah, I used to just dismiss Legit but gave it a shot after a friend recommended it and really liked it. Aside from the raunchiness it also has a lot of heart. I can't really think of anything else that treats disabled characters the way that show did; whenever Rodney would show up you knew poo poo was gonna be good.

How so, do you mind if I ask? I've never seen the show, but my wife teaches a college course on Disability and Media, so we're always looking for decent pop culture examples of characters with disabilities (ideally portrayed in positive or at least "normal" ways).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Crunkjuice posted:

Anyone got any good recommendations on some horror flicks? I'm not opposed to gore, but straight slasher flicks bore me. Monster, psychological, demon stuff are usually my favorites. Loved insidious and cabin in the woods (not horror really I know), absolutely loved american horror story (just watched for the first time).

The Thing (the one from 1982), Session 9, Jacob's Ladder, Event Horizon, Silent Hill, and especially the TV series Hannibal, which has both seasons streaming on Amazon Prime.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Werner-Boogle posted:

I need your help thread. This weekend I'm gonna be doing 3 consecutive 9 hour night shifts where I will have nothing to do. It's basically gonna be 27 hours of just me and my computer so I was thinking of just binging on a show to keep me awake. I have access to Netflix and HBO Nordic which to my knowledge has pretty much every HBO series.

Due to studies and having a kid I haven't really watched a lot of TV shows the last few years, so just throw whatever you really like at me. Even stuff you think that EVERYONE has seen, I'm pretty sure I haven't seen it. I have seen Breaking Bad though as the only recent and majorly popular show that springs to mind.

Also, I was thinking of watching that movie Nightcrawler since I hear it's very good. Yay or nay?

Nightcrawler is awesome and well worth watching, yes.

For HBO series, definitely The Wire, Deadwood, and Game of Thrones (and True Detective, which you've already started).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I really wanted to love Agents of SHIELD. I really did. But I watched the first three episodes and it feels like every single character is interchangeable. They could have Chinese Fire Drill'd the script, and I'd never notice.

Most people consider the first season mediocre and the characters generic and forgettable until about two-thirds of the way through Season 1, when the status quo changed in a major way in the episode "Turn, Turn, Turn" (which spun directly out of the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier).

If you really wanted to love it, try watching that episode with an open mind, hopefully after having seen the movie. I think even the biggest critics of the show will agree it got a lot better from there, and stayed decent-to-great throughout Season 2.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The Shield!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just noticed that Netflix has added Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning. It's a direct-to-DVD sequel to the cheesy '90s sci-fi movie starring Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren as Vietnam vets killed in action and reanimated as cyborg soldiers, which was not a fantastic movie.

But Day of Reckoning IS a surprisingly good movie, and a weird, unsettling one. Van Damme and Lundgren's characters appear on the sidelines and in the shadows, looming forces in the background, but direct-to-DVD action actor Scott Adkins plays the lead role. It's as much a psychological thriller with a Lynchian feeling of dread as it is a balls-to-the-wall violent action movie with some brutal fight scenes. In the end, I'm not sure I fully understood it, but I was certainly entertained at the time.

The director, John Hyams (son of Peter Hyams, who directed some of Van Damme's '90s films) made another Universal Soldier movie BEFORE this one, subtitled Regeneration. It's supposed to be good too, but I haven't seen it, and it isn't on Netflix. But Day of Reckoning has picked up a cult following, and if you Google it, you'll find glowing praise on The AV Club and The Atlantic, among other sources.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I don't know if they're on Amazon Prime or not, but I'm a huge fan of the stand-up of Louis C.K., John Mulaney, Moshe Kasher, Aziz Ansari, Donald Glover, Kyle Kinane, Tig Notaro, Jessi Klein, Nikki Glaser, Amy Schumer, Zach Galifianakis, plus the aforementioned Jim Gaffigan and Hannibal Burress. Most of them are big names, but one or two of them might be pleasant new surprises for you. What about Stephen Wright?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

du -hast posted:

Does anyone know of a show in a similar vein to Deadwood? It is truly fantastic. On Amazon prime or Netflix :)

Dialogue-wise, nothing else comes close.

If you liked Timothy Olyphant, watch Justified on Amazon Prime. His character is a lot funnier and more likable, despite still exhibiting flaws that will become more apparent throughout the show. It has a great supporting cast and stays good-to-great throughout the entire run.

If you like big-budget historical dramas with good ensemble casts, watch Rome and/or Carnivale on Amazon Prime. Both played on HBO at the same time as Deadwood. Both are entertaining, but neither is as good.

If you want a brilliantly-written HBO drama with an outstanding cast, watch The Wire on Amazon Prime. It almost works as a companion piece to Deadwood. Deadwood is about different elements of society working together to create civilization, and the Wire is about the inevitable decline of civilization, and how all the different elements are affected by the decline, how they helped cause it, and how it failed them.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

du -hast posted:

Ah poo poo I meant Longmire. That said, I will definitely give these a try!

Anything anyone know of near to Longmire?

Haven't seen Longmire, but I'd still recommend Justified first and foremost -- another crime drama/modern-day Western, starring a hat-wearing antihero who seems almost like a man out of time.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

flatluigi posted:

Any suggestions for a good actiony show like Person of Interest or a sci-fi one like Fringe on Netflix or Prime Video?

My wife and I binged through Fringe two years ago and Person of Interest last year, and loved both shows. It isn't nearly as good as either show, but Prison Break can be a fun action thriller with a good cast, when it isn't being completely stupid. The first season is the best, followed by 2, then the balls-out insanity of 4. At least 3 is short.

Have you seen Lost? If not, you'll love it if you enjoyed Fringe and PoI. The Flash gets around to some of the cool alternate/parallel Earth stuff that was my favorite part of Fringe, and it has a wonderful cast who always do their best, even when the writing isn't spectacular. And Charlie Jade, a South African sci-fi/noir series, was just added to Prime Video. That will be the next thing we binge.

For another action/crime show, Justified (on Prime Video) is AWESOME. It starts out as a procedural like PoI and Fringe did, but by the end of Season 1 and especially in each of the other seasons, it has a much more serialized structure.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

a kitten posted:

Has Mulholland Dr. been on Netflix for awhile? In any case I'm watching it now and god drat it I should have watched this 15 years ago.

It has been one of my favorite movies of all time ever since I first saw it a few years ago, and again last year, when it made more sense. It was on HBO GO for a while (not anymore), but they just added it to Netflix on February 1st. I actually went on Facebook and recommended it to everyone I know, knowing full well none of them will attempt it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
What annoys me is that the actor who played the drunken fighter in the best fight scene in Iron Fist actually auditioned to play Danny. His name is Lewis Tan, and he's a half-British, half-Chinese actor, stuntman, and trained martial artist. He's a handsome dude and could have been much more interesting in the role than Finn Jones, especially if the show went with a biracial Danny Rand who didn't fully fit in or feel truly at home in New York or K'un Lun.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/03/lewis-tan-marvel-iron-fist-interview.html

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just watched The Ticket on Amazon Prime. It sounded interesting -- a 2016 movie about a blind man who gets his sight back and becomes a real dick, starring Dan Stevens, Malin Akerman, Oliver Platt, and Kerry Bishe. Not a bad cast. But the whole thing had an atmosphere of unease and dread, while at the same time feeling like one of those sanctimonious Christian-themed movies you find in a Redbox, starring actors you vaguely remember, but their careers are washed up. I don't think any of these four actors are hurting -- I'd call Stevens and Bishe rising stars for sure. But there's nothing to it. It's depressing, preachy, and slow. Save yourselves and watch something else.

Something like Marc Maron's latest stand-up special on Netflix, which is the best thing he's ever done. Even if you don't think you like Maron, or you get tired of his aging, bitter burnout persona, this is one of the best stand-up specials I've ever seen, from anyone.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rolo posted:

Walk Hard is an underrated comedy and miles better than anything that has Will Ferrell in it.

Walk Hard is probably my favorite comedy film of the 21st Century. Think about it -- TV comedies have been on fire since the turn of the century. Arrested Development, 30 Rock, Parks & Recreation, Childrens Hospital, Kimmy Schmidt, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, you name it.

But how many truly great comedy films can you think of? Judd Apatow, Todd Phillips, and Adam McKay have been the kings of Hollywood comedy, along with all the actors they helped launch. But none of their films, or any others, come close to being as funny or as GOOD as Walk Hard. It works on every level: as a parody of Oscar bait musician biopics, a silly showcase for John C. Reilly, a musical comedy (with songs that are actually good and stand on their own), and it has a surprising amount of heart too. I'll defend it to anyone.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Yeah, 21st Century only REALLY cuts down on the options. The 20th Century seemed to be full of classic comedies, but of course we had a lot more decades to choose from.

I really enjoyed Logan Lucky, but it wasn't a laff-riot. Step Brothers is stupid as hell, but ridiculously funny and quotable. Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping was great too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Kevin DuBrow posted:

What are good food+travel shows? On Netflix I've seen a few episodes of Bourdain: Parts Unknown and Ainsley Eats the Streets, and the pilots of Ugly Delicious and Somebody Feel Phil. I wasn't in love with any of the hosts.

Bourdain seems to switch from charming and funny to smug and weirdly masculine, but my girlfriend despises him to the point of refusing to watch. Ainsley is funny but sometimes overbearing with his jokes and energy, and I don't enjoy the part of each episode where he makes his own version of a region's dish. Phil is really nice, but also boring and unfunny. I joked that he behaved like a TV sitcom dad before being told that he's the creator of Everyone Loves Raymond. Beautiful shots, though.

My favorite food show, although not necessarily a travel show, is Chef's Table. It also doesn't have a host, what a coincidence.

I haven't seen every episode of Ugly Delicious yet, but it's my favorite food/travel show I've ever seen. I'm trying to make them last because it's such a short season.

I am also a huge Bourdain fan, but I realize his personality and style can be off-putting for some. You may prefer a somewhat more mature and thoughtful Bourdain on his current show, No Reservations, on CNN. It's pretty much the same schtick as Parts Unknown and A Cook's Tour even before that, but with much higher production value.

If you can ever find The Getaway anywhere, watch that. It's the same as Parts Unknown/No Reservations, but with a celebrity spending a few days in a city, eating, drinking, and playing tourist. Most of the episodes had cool, funny, fun hosts like Aisha Tyler, Rashida Jones, Joel McHale, Aziz Ansari, Kyle McLachlan, Jenny Slate, and Seth Meyers (and his brother).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou has a new favorite as of 05:32 on Mar 31, 2018

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If you also have Amazon Prime, it includes The Wire, Deadwood, Rome, and Carnivale, so don't pay extra for HBO just for those.

But I'm making my way through Barry now, and it's quite good.

HBO movies that are worth watching if you haven't seen them:
Alien
Aliens
Back to the Future I, II, III
Big Trouble
Blade Runner 2049
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Chicago
Die Hard 1, 2, 3
Fletch
Get Out
Girls Trip
Identity
Last Boy Scout
Lego Batman Movie
Logan
Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World
Silence of the Lambs
Wonder Woman

And comedy:
Chris Gethard: Career Suicide
Michelle Wolf: Nice Lady
Tig Notaro: Boyish Girl Interrupted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Your Taint posted:

Seconding Mrs Maisel. This show is fantastic and Rachel Brosnahan is a treasure.

Rachel Brosnahan is hosting Saturday Night Live tonight, which should be great (or at least less awful than usual).