Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
This is a thread for posting short reviews of RPGs and other trad games (including boardgames), rather than long, exhaustive reviews. The focus will be on first impressions. Try to be short and pithy. This is, after all, for people who don't have time to go through the lengthy reviews in other threads.

ascendance fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Aria Worlds

I am running a brand new D&D game, and remembered I had this kicking around in my parent's basement, so I went home and got it.

A quick survey of this game leaves me shaking my head in despair and surprise. People have called this game impenetrable. I just call it terrible. Sure, there's a ton of language (instead of a game master, you have a Mythguide; instead of an adventure, you have a Narrative; instead of a campaign, you have a Canticle), but the real problem is the system. Basically, skill checks are... add 3 attributes, divide by 6, add your skill. It's not exactly a system designed for quick and easy play.

Also, the culture generation system feels extremely dated, what with the split between "Primitive" and "Civilized" cultures. Notwithstanding the fact that both kinds of cultures produce murderhobos and have settlements. Cultures are also seemingly quite monolithic, and there is little reference to conflicting agendas and centers of power.

There's also the fact that creating a culture generates a poo poo ton of stats. Many stats are also used in complex formulas that generate other stats. The problem is, the stats are are basically tied to a bunch of descriptions, and aren't actually rolled or used in any kind of interactive way.

If it wasn't dog eared, I would stick this on eBay. I'm sure some collector wants it.

• Locked thread