Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
I won't profess to know everything about baseball, but I can certainly try to answer the questions.

Nerdfest X posted:

This is what I understand:

A bowler hitting the wicket = strike out
Leg before wicket - not Hit by Pitch, but more like interference (out)
Caught fly ball = same in both, you (the batter) are out
6 runs = home run
4 runs = ground rule double
Only 2 bases, home plate (current batter here), and the other home plate (other player here), which can switch for ?reasons?

If the ball hits the wickets (and, more importantly, takes the bails off, which are the bits on top of the wicket), then you're out.
Leg before wicket = the ball would have hit the wickets and taken the bail off (the umpire thinks), so you're out.
Caught on the full = out.
I think it gets a bit different with the home runs vs. 6 or 4 runs. My understanding of baseball is, you run to all of the bases, and then you (as an individual) have finished when you get to home. With cricket, if you get a 4 or a 6, it's impressive, and you return to where you were to face the next ball, but you haven't finished batting, and you stay there until either your team is out, you're out, you're injured, or your team declares (basically, decides that they have enough runs, and that they can get the other team out before they make the same number of runs or more).
There are two ends of the pitch, and runs are scored by the batters running from end to end. If you hit the ball, you do not have to run. At both ends of the pitch is a line (called a crease), and if the ball takes the bails off the wicket before you get your bat on the other side of the crease (the side closest to the wickets), you're out.

Nerdfest X posted:

I understand that in cricket some players are primarily bowlers, while others are primarily batsmen, but it seems like everyone has to do both. In baseball this is not the case. Pitchers often have to bat, but they completely suck at it, and if a batter pitches, it is due to extreme circumstances, and often the height of hilarity (batters stink at pitching 10 times worse than pitchers stink at batting).

Is there a "bowling rotation" (in that particular game) like in baseball there is a "pitching rotation?" (in that week) Does everyone bat? Does everyone pitch? Is it a requirement for everyone to bat and/or pitch?

Do managers try to set up bowling/batting match ups for certain advantages vs. the other team? (My best guy vs. your best guy, OR my best guy [very good bowler] vs. your not-so-best guy [terrible batsman] ie; easy out)

Generally speaking, all players will have a bat (unless their team declares), but not all players have to bowl. It's not a requirement, written or unwritten, for everyone to have to bat and/or bowl. Your team can put forward whoever they want to bowl, more or less whenever they want them to bowl. However, there are usually some restrictions placed on how many overs (6 balls in a row bowled from one end) your bowlers can bowl each. There's no pitching rotation, and the captain can choose to bowl any bowlers at almost any time.

The captain is ultimately in charge of what happens on the field (although they'll have worked out tactics with coaches etc. before), and tactics definitely come into it. I think generally decisions of who to use to bowl are made on a case-by-case basis (for example, two bowlers might work well together bowling in turns, or one batter might be awful at batting against spin bowlers).

Whitlam fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread