Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
First ever attempt at nachos (not american), with pulled pork and homemade pickled chiles

It's not good looking food, but it'll kill your arteries good.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Aug 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

His Divine Shadow posted:

First ever attempt at nachos (not american), with pulled pork and homemade pickled chiles

No, no... it looks good. Real good.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
You can't really mess up nachos unless you don't like the result. Try doing the same thing to French fries next.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I tried making brownies from scratch:

I feel like my biggest mistake was not making sure I had milk to go with them.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

i

snyprmag posted:

That's a reverse sear. The meat doesn't need to be frozen for it to work.

Isn't a reverse sear the opposite of that, where you bring it to temperature first before searing?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, reverse sear is "cook slowly to core temp, then blast that sucker under a broiler."

or a pan, whatever

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Cross post from Cajun thread:

quote:

All in one pot.

Chicken and Conecuh cajun sausage and salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powder and cayenne.

Garlic

Onion

Red and Green Bell peppers

Mushrooms

Pasta

Chicken broth

Heavy cream

Parmesan

All done

Sous Chefs

Ridley's wink of approval

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
^^ looks terrific ^^

but yeah, I will share my meal anyway.
it was an Ottolenghi-type rip-off, or whatever. But with the stuff I had on hand.

Beluga lentils cooked with some thyme and bayleaf,
baked brunoise onions and carrots, with salt, pepper and a tiny bit of sugar.
All stirred, with some olive oil, vinegar, and extra salt and pepper stirred through.
Topped with a dollop of grilled eggplant end some crushed hazelnuts.

it was nice,
it was different,
it won't go into my routine.

I hope tomorrow will bring another weird rear end food idea, I like that.

Ooooh, and I found out I have a Polish supermarket in the vicinity (two actually, ha), so I will never have to make pierogi again by hand, but I will be eating pierogi untill I'm fat. Well, fatter! :-)

paraquat fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 7, 2016

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Did some sous vide NY strips, mashed potatoes and sprouts. Turned out pretty well though even with the chimney starter searing it didn't get crusty enough.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 8, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

charliebravo77 posted:

Did some sous vide NY strips, mashed potatoes and sprouts. Turned out pretty well though even with the chimney starter searing it didn't get crusty enough.

Your steak is making me feel inadequate about my meat

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

MrSlam posted:

Your steak is making me feel inadequate about my meat

Im a master of my meat. I beat it before every cooking event.

With a tenderizer you gross fucks.

also I masturbate a lot because Im a lonely alcoholic.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of meat, I found a big ribeye at the base commissary today and splurged. Side dishes are overrated/shallots are a vegetable, right?

I also cracked my cast iron, which is a thing that can happen? I guess I heated it up too fast. Had to do this one on my stainless pan.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 10, 2016

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
What brand was the cast iron, and how were you heating it? That sounds odd.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah was it a cheap one? I've got a Griswold from like the 40s or 50s and that thing feels so solid that I could get it red hot then dunk it in an ice bath and it would only get stronger.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mussels last night with a white wine sauce. Costco had them for sale and I didn't realize how much I'd actually bought (5.11 lbs), but they're mostly shell weight and my wife and I crushed them without issue.

The sauce is the best part, anyway.

Homemade pot pies off of the Smitten Kitchen recipe. First time making a pastry crust, which was super easy and came out super well.

These were unbelievably delicious. The first time making them was a bit intimidating, but they were absolutely worth it and will take half the time when I make them again.

I'm bad at photos.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

The Midniter posted:

Homemade pot pies off of the Smitten Kitchen recipe. First time making a pastry crust, which was super easy and came out super well.

These were unbelievably delicious. The first time making them was a bit intimidating, but they were absolutely worth it and will take half the time when I make them again.

I'm bad at photos.
If you find pastry crusts easy, you ought to try making cornish pasties some time. I made a bunch a good while back and they turned out fantastic. One thing to note if you do make them though, is that to make them properly you should disregard whatever spices the recipe you use recommends, and instead use an absolutely absurd amount of ground black pepper.

edit: Found the recipe I used here. I did the pepper based on one of the comments at the bottom, which recommends 2+ Tbsp pepper instead of 1/4 tsp. I did not use quite that much, and it still turned out pretty drat good, and matched my memories of eating them when I visited England some years back.

LogicalFallacy fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 10, 2016

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Had a crack at Jambalaya. Used chicken thighs, chorizo and prawns and perhaps overdid the naga chillies, but gently caress it it's good heat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Had a craving for General Tso's. Did not make quite enough sauce for the volume of chicken but that's okay.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

overdesigned posted:

Speaking of meat, I found a big ribeye at the base commissary today and splurged. Side dishes are overrated/shallots are a vegetable, right?

I also cracked my cast iron, which is a thing that can happen? I guess I heated it up too fast. Had to do this one on my stainless pan.

Not sure about the cracked cast iron (how the gently caress does that happen?) but hey, nothing wrong with your meal choice there. I've done the same thing plenty of times. Just good ol' steak & onions. (I also do the more traditional liver & onions, love that too.)

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

Theophany posted:

Had a crack at Jambalaya. Used chicken thighs, chorizo and prawns and perhaps overdid the naga chillies, but gently caress it it's good heat.

The food looks good.

The picture looks amazing, are you a pro at this?

Mexican hotdog, been trying combos with the dream of opening a hotdog based QSR on the East coast.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Grand Fromage posted:

Had a craving for General Tso's. Did not make quite enough sauce for the volume of chicken but that's okay.

Can you share a recipe for this? I love me some American Chinese food.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Fenrir posted:

Not sure about the cracked cast iron (how the gently caress does that happen?) but hey, nothing wrong with your meal choice there. I've done the same thing plenty of times. Just good ol' steak & onions. (I also do the more traditional liver & onions, love that too.)

I was thinking about this some more. Maybe they have an enameled cast iron and the enamel cracked.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Can you share a recipe for this? I love me some American Chinese food.

I used the Serious Eats one, which is fiddly with the chicken breading but it works. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/04/the-best-general-tsos-chicken-food-lab-chinese-recipe.html

The only adjustment I made was I reduced the sugar by half and used way more chili peppers.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Fenrir posted:

Not sure about the cracked cast iron (how the gently caress does that happen?)

They were defending Hastings from the Normans :black101:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

The food looks good.

The picture looks amazing, are you a pro at this?

Mexican hotdog, been trying combos with the dream of opening a hotdog based QSR on the East coast.

Nah, just a bit of a hobby really.

Those dogs look way too good on this hangover.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Theophany posted:

Those dogs look way too good on this hangover.

I'm sure they'd look good without one too, but since I'm in the same boat :agreed:

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Plinkey posted:

Yeah was it a cheap one? I've got a Griswold from like the 40s or 50s and that thing feels so solid that I could get it red hot then dunk it in an ice bath and it would only get stronger.

Totally possible to break a Gris too - my sister broke our Grandma's. She was mortified.

E: Now I recall, it was the second time that Griswold had been broken - the handle broke off, and Grandma had it brazed back on!

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

My cast iron which is at least 40 years old was definitely broken and mended at some point. You can see the seam on the bottom.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Things.. foccacia

SE bean chilli

Carrot cider cheddar pie (I am so full right now)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Made goulash/porkolt. I'd like to try eating it somewhere to know what its supposed to taste like and also practice plating

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Looks good. Pappardelle pasta?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
yeah. ordered this paprika off amazon which idk how legit it is https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00824ZRH2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but seemed as good as i was going to get

mostly followed chef johns recipe but added far more paprika and a bit of white wine

franco
Jan 3, 2003

sweat poteto posted:

Things.. foccacia

That's beautiful :love:

Not technically dinner: In my never-ending quest to make bar snacks for a vegan friend that I pub quiz with that he actually likes (he's fussy, and fully admits it, even for a vegan diet), I settled on making some baked crisps/chips with wasabi and ginger (I KNOW he likes those things!).

The mix: wasabi powder (at great expense, the bastard)/ground ginger/garlic powder/sugar/pepper/salt:

Almost every surface area in my small kitchen used after taking a couple of large russet potatoes through the mandoline at the thinnest I could get away with and tossing them with olive oil and half of the powder mix (not pictured - the other sheets behind me):

Baked and sprinkled with the remaining mix:

FINALLY he liked something enough to munch a lot but suggested I went a bit heavy on the final wasabi coating (he's probably right, I got a bit sprinkle-happy).

More simple, dinnery stuff from the last couple of days; I made Cacio e Pepe. It's not much to look at, it's just loving spaghetti, cheese, pepper and oil essentially. So good with a decent Pecorino and getting the balance right, though:

Simple again, my mum has got into (don't laugh) sausage-making, so when she visited the other day I ended up with some experimental chorizo and some new potatoes that my dad grows. What to do? Spanish tortilla with some other stuff (eggs, cheese, spinach, onion etc.). With hindsight, I should have used a narrower pan as it was a bit flatter than it should have been. Second picture is pretentiously putting the two quarters that we didn't eat right there on a chopping board for no apparent reason :ohdear: It was good though, I swear!

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

This monstrous sandwich:

Basically, a Salade Nicoise on a hollowed-out loaf of french bread. Sous-vide eggs (165 F for 40 mins) which are "hard" all the way through but really creamy and with a "soft boiled" kind of taste. Sous vide sockeye salmon (125 F for 20 mins, brined for 30 mins) instead of tuna. Potatoes (simmered in a court bouillon type liquid), olives, capers, lettuce, basil, tomatoes from my garden, green beans, and a basic white wine/shallot vinaigrette. Smash the loaves together, wrap it super tight in plastic, let it rest in the fridge for an hour or so.

FWIW it weighs ~4lbs and carefully sliced will provide lunches for the next week.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Holy Dagwood

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
That's the kinda sammich you see people eat in one bite in the cartoons

Nostrum you know what to do

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Nostrum posted:

This monstrous sandwich:

Basically, a Salade Nicoise on a hollowed-out loaf of french bread. Sous-vide eggs (165 F for 40 mins) which are "hard" all the way through but really creamy and with a "soft boiled" kind of taste. Sous vide sockeye salmon (125 F for 20 mins, brined for 30 mins) instead of tuna. Potatoes (simmered in a court bouillon type liquid), olives, capers, lettuce, basil, tomatoes from my garden, green beans, and a basic white wine/shallot vinaigrette. Smash the loaves together, wrap it super tight in plastic, let it rest in the fridge for an hour or so.

FWIW it weighs ~4lbs and carefully sliced will provide lunches for the next week.

:drat: I need that.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

Smoked chicken. Came out really juicy and nicely spiced (because I used a lot of spices). Kind of ruined other smoked chicken for me, most places seem to under season it.

And just to troll, because this picture came out better than I would have it imagined it would:

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

His Divine Shadow posted:

Lookin good!

I also made nachos:

Did a montery jack/sharp cheddar mornay sauce, sauteed some onions and garlic with some veggie ground round and black beans and spices, and then topped it with pico de gallo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Lookin good!

I also made nachos:

Did a montery jack/sharp cheddar mornay sauce, sauteed some onions and garlic with some veggie ground round and black beans and spices, and then topped it with pico de gallo.

Holy Jesus I'm waiting on food at a restaurant now and I'm angry I'm not getting nachos.

Those look good.

• Locked thread