Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Stringent posted:

Is it just me or are these indistinguishable from baked empanadas except for the filling?

Yes, baked pastries are from Europe. The Spaniards call them empanadas, the english call them pasties.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Stringent posted:

Is it just me or are these indistinguishable from baked empanadas except for the filling?
Basically, though they're still worth making in what I'm told is the proper British fashion, namely just beef, onions, potatoes, and what you'd think is way the hell too much ground black pepper. The amount I'm told is correct is 2+ Tbsp black pepper for the filling for about 2 dozen pasties. I'm not brave enough to use quite that much though.

On a separate note, my own contribution to the thread now is this homemade mac and cheese:

It shows yellow in the picture due to lighting but it's actually white. Process was bechamel sauce with half and half instead of milk, add a 6oz block of Gruyere and a 6oz block of Muenster. Once that was all melted, I added some sauteed garlic, shallots, Prosciutto, and a can of fire-roasted tomatoes and a bit of cayenne pepper. I'm not sure what the noodles are called, but they're what I had in my cupboard. Next time I make it, I'm adding less tomato and more garlic and cayenne pepper.

RosarioImpale
Oct 27, 2007

Boyfriend decided to one-up my suggestion of "I'm tired, let's just have breakfast for dinner" with "let's fry some chicken and make some waffles", to which I replied "you can fry the chicken, I'll mix the waffle mix", because relationships are about compromise and fair division of duty. Turned out pretty good, especially the chicken-- we beat the poo poo out of some chicken thighs and they were super tender. Served it up with some spinach and some grits. Made a pretty good meal for a Wednesday night.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Stringent posted:

To be fair I think a majority of cultures in the world have some kind of spin on this which would be distinguishable only by the filling.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
It's usually not indicative of a country's general cuisine, but I believe every culture should be judged solely based on their signature meat pie.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

And whether it comes in a bowl of Mushy peas

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Leftover dough became little jam tart/hand pie things.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
no hands no ring 2/10

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Eponine posted:

It's usually not indicative of a country's general cuisine, but I believe every culture should be judged solely based on their signature meat pie.

http://static01.mediaite.com/med/wp-content/uploads/gallery/your-hot-pockets-recall-survival-kit/pockets-l.jpg:911:

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

the best part about spending to hours building a sauce is getting loving wasted in the interim

e: *two, and definitely not loving drunk posting about it. Also this is just a spicy creamy tomato thing with chicken

nice one

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 3, 2016

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

:smith:

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Yes, America loses for their original meat pies.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Nah, chicken pot pie owns.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
http://www.nolacuisine.com/2006/12/03/natchitoches-meat-pies-recipe/

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

The thing is that those are creole, and that basically counts as its own country.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

LogicalFallacy posted:

The thing is that those are creole, and that basically counts as its own country.

Doesn't matter, had sex.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:jackbud:

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Stringent posted:

Nah, chicken pot pie owns.

We like it, but that ain't american by a long goddamn shot.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

LogicalFallacy posted:

No you don't get to take the best American cuisine and declare it isn't American. :colbert:

Besides what could be more American than throwing native, French, and West African food cultures in a blender and seeing what happens?

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 4, 2016

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

I was just kidding! I did think chicken pot pie was American, guess not.

Nice! Gonna try to make these soon!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are similar dishes in many places. What we eat and call chicken pot pie I'm almost certain is a Pennsylvania Amish thing.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I just got back from a week long Asian Boot Camp course at the CIA Hyde Park campus and I can't recommend these enough. It was a lot of fun going through the different regions and learning the spices, sauces and techniques that are unique to each one:

Garam Masala & Nut Masala from scratch for Lamb Korma

Mushroom & Cauliflower Curry, Lamb Korma, Yellow Rice and Spinach & Mung Dal

Hue Chicken Salad

Spicy, Thick Beef Curry

Beef Teriyaki

Aromatic Lamb Chops

Pearl Balls (Before & After)

There's a lot more we made as a whole but these were the ones I focused on. It was a 5-day course where each day was focused on a different region– Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, Korean, Japanese and Chinese.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
That's awesome, how much was the course?

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Random Hero posted:

I just got back from a week long Asian Boot Camp course at the CIA Hyde Park campus and I can't recommend these enough. It was a lot of fun going through the different regions and learning the spices, sauces and techniques that are unique to each one:

That all looks amazing, but I had to look up pearl balls. Now I crave little Chinese meatballs coated in rice. :kimchi:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I splurged on a big-rear end all-clad pan and made some chicken. The latest SAVEUR had a recipe for chicken roasted with leeks and chanterelles and kale, which I thought sounded good.. This had kale and shiitakes and carrots and pearl onions. It was pretty great.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That's awesome, how much was the course?

The week long boot camps aren't cheap (1.5k+) but they have courses as short as 1 or 2 days that are much more affordable. I took a 1 day Spanish course at the San Antonio CIA campus and had fun doing that too. Much lower and easier commitment, both time and money.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I made a pizza! Used pre made dough from my grocery store, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. Made sauce with San Marzano tomatoes, garlic and roasted red peppers (plus salt, pepper, etc), and topped with pepperoni and mozzarella pearls.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Never made soup of any kind before but felt like making the missus and me a tasty pumpkin soup from scratch. Came out super creamy and tasty, really happy with the first attempt.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Ahhh I'm so excited I made empanadas for the very first time and they came out PERFECTLY.

I mean they're ugly as sin but they came out perfectly crispy-flaky. :kimchi: I'm finally starting to get the hang of this dough-making business.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Sorry but those look more like pasties than empanadas

(they look fantastic)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

dijon du jour posted:

Ahhh I'm so excited I made empanadas for the very first time and they came out PERFECTLY.

I mean they're ugly as sin but they came out perfectly crispy-flaky. :kimchi: I'm finally starting to get the hang of this dough-making business.

This has been on my list of things to learn next for a while. Got a recipe you worked from?

Nice job.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
man i do not doubt that those empanadas are delicious but they look like unseasoned baked chicken thighs somehow and that is hosed up

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

That Works posted:

This has been on my list of things to learn next for a while. Got a recipe you worked from?

Nice job.

I followed the recipe from Smitten Kitchen.
https://smittenkitchen.com/2007/04/chicken-revisited-and-enlightened/

A note: when making the dough it ended up slightly too dry to gather together, so I had to add the tiniest bit of water. I mean tiny, I just ran my hands under the faucet and flicked the water at the dough and that was enough. Good luck!

ZeeSpades
Dec 2, 2015
Made Pajeon for the first time! I've made okonomiyaki before so this was similar only much easier and cheaper.

I should have cooked it a bit longer or used a bit less batter, but it still came out tasting amazing.

I loosely followed http://www.eatyourkimchi.com/how-to-make-pajeon/ recipe on how to make it as well as mental memory from countless youtube videos I've watched in the past.

Strongly suggest trying to make this since it's only 4 ingredients (aside from the dipping sauce which isn't really needed). It tastes similar to an onion ring if you haven't tried it before.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Now toss like half the ocean in there

Squid and shrimp, oysters, clams, all the good poo poo.

ZeeSpades
Dec 2, 2015

AnonSpore posted:

Now toss like half the ocean in there

Squid and shrimp, oysters, clams, all the good poo poo.

Trust me, if I had the money I would!
I was also trying to introduce my friend to it and she's against seafood (she has other redeemable qualities so I let this slide.)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Thai style ground pork and basil with fried eggs on rice for breakfast

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
steak currently resting

after resting

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Succulent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Jose posted:

steak currently resting

after resting

I...can taste that steak in my head right now. Nice work.

• Locked thread