Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

paraquat posted:

a great day to eat some more vegetables, so I made a spinach salad;

spinach, soy beans, carrots, onion, spanish pepper, bacon and pine nuts
with a dressing made from coconutmilk, orange zest, lime juice, chili sauce, grated ginger and some salt

it was really nice, but I'm going to leave out the bacon next time,
the dressing is a winner, although not the most appetizing thing to look at.

Is that sweet chili sauce or sambal? Because I have pretty much all that and I want that salad.

I've been doing the best I can with the limited space I have now. Two measly electrical (:gonk:) plates and 30cm of counter space + whatever part of my desk is free of thesis papers.

These gross black hockey pucks are crispy pieces of boudin noir.
Left is with apples, onions and cauliflower&parsnip puree, right is with veg and baby's first red wine sauce (way too heavy on the onions).

Improvised don't-want-to-go-outside-but-MUST-have pizza: quick no-rise crust, sieved and thicked canned tomatoes, cheap mozzarella (never worth it unless for salads) and some chorizo. It would have been excellent if I hadn't confused my baking powder with vanilla sugar, now it was just weirdly okay :saddowns:

I kneaded some additional baking powder, flour and water into the leftover dough and made little Irish soda bread inspired buns that I rolled in cinnamon sugar before baking. They were excellent.

Pumpkin cake (from some leftover roasted pumpkin) with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and fleur d'oranger. You Americans are right, sweet pumpkin dishes are tasty! :3:

Veggie sushi, teriyaki glazed chicken.

Made pho at some point but didn't take a pic, made sweet omelette spring rolls for lunch from the leftovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Suspect Bucket posted:

Do you also have a toaster oven or a dutch oven that you're baking in? This is all very impressive for two hotplates.

Yeah I do have a 30L oven to bake or roast stuff in so it's not all that bad. The most limiting factors are the slooow heat adjustment, the two pan rule and the lack of counter space. Learning some good habits regarding clean prepping and timing. :)

I miss garlic, fish and other stinky foods. Having your bed and wardrobe in your kitchen is not ideal. Also I miss fire.

paraquat posted:

It was sweet chili sauce, the tiny bit of heat came from the spanish peppers in the salad.
(btw, I think I used about 1-2 tablespoons of sweet chili sauce to 100 mL of coconutmilk)

Your addition of omelet to the summer rolls is something that never even occured to me, will definitely be copied. Thanks!
Cheers, I'll rig something up using sugar or honey and a little (little!) bit of thai bird chili. :supaburn:

Sometimes when I try to sweeten up sauces/dressings containing sambal they turn super bitter, I wonder what's up with that?

PiratePing fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 2, 2015

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Butternut, apple and onion soup with a bit of yoghurt

Tortilla pizza on the side because gently caress it, why not?

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Tannin posted:

This looks super delicious and I've been wanting to make something similar, can I get a recipe?

I used one small butternut squash, one medium onion and half an apple. I just cut them into chunks and simmered them in a bit of chicken broth until soft enough to blend, but if you want to do it properly roast the squash and brown the apple/onion plus some garlic before blending. Finished with some salt, pepper, garlic powder (was out of fresh) lime juice, a glop of yoghurt and a bloop of olive oil. I also added a little pinch of brown sugar to bring out the sweetness but that's definitely not necessary if you take the non-lazy route.

I think it would be pretty baller with some curry paste and coconut milk too. :)

Edit: I too would do dirty things to that brie sandwich...

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

PiratePing posted:

I think it would be pretty baller with some curry paste and coconut milk too. :)
I made myself hungry for curry, so I curried the soup:

Chicken, zucchini, and onion curry. Gloop was much better than the soup, the cumin and heat were just great.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Pork chop, sweet 'tater fries, and zucchini/white cabbage/onions sautéed with mirin and rice vinegar.

Fake Fast Food Friday: Mung bean falafel on gingery puda (still one of my favourite lazy comfort foods, thanks Dino.!)

So good, so filling.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

gipskrampf posted:

That looks great, do you have a recipe?

Puda:

dino. posted:

Besan ki puda

Basically, they are pancakes made with chickpea flour and optionally rice and/or semolina. They do not need eggs because chickpeas are so rich in protein. Some add yoghurt, but I don't think it's necessary. Better have it on the side as a condiment if you eat milky stuffs.

Puda is one of those magical foodstuffs: it's very tasty (of course it is, it's got chickpeas in it), it's easy, it's cheap, it's quick, it's very healthy and filling, it's good looking enough to serve guests of honour, and you can make it while you're drunk to impress that chick you pulled home from the sorority syrup wrestling party. Also it's a very handy recipe for vegans, because it provides the comfort of fluffy, delicious pancakes without having to resort to gross egg ersatz products. Seriously, if you have chickpea flour on hand, make this tonight.

This stuff is so simple, it's hard to really make a recipe. Take a cup or so chickpea flour and spice it according to taste. Ajwain seed (lovage seed, a kind of wild Indian thyme) is very good. So is turmeric and grated ginger. I like a bit of chili in there as well, either chopped fresh or powder. Lots of chopped spring onion is a must. Coriander, freshly chopped, is good.

Salt lightly, ginger and spring onion provide a good deal of the "spike" that the salt would otherwise give. Add a little baking powder to make them less compact - you can also use baking soda if you add a little lemon juice or another appropriate acid. Maybe a few spoons of rice flour or semolina to make it more crispy. Then stir in cold water until you have a thick, lumpless batter.

Fry in a good deal of oil (go ahead, lay that poo poo down, it makes it better tasting and easier to flip. It's vegan food, it's healthy anyways!) Use a non-stick pan if you've got it. I use a stainless steel pan, but it's magical so don't assume it'll work for you. Fry until they're set on top, loosen and flip carefully then fry some more.

I usually make them with grated ginger, scallions, turmeric plus whatever catches my eye. Bolded part because seriously, a LOT of oil.

Mung bean falafel:

I boiled a bunch of split mung beans and roughly blitzed them with a stick blender until they were pureed enough to stick together but also still had a lot of whole pieces. Blend more for a smoother texture but it should still be a bit crumbly, definitely not a paste. I ended up with about 2+ cups of crumbly mush and added:

Cilantro, a big handful, finely chopped
Parsley (should have, had none)
Onion, finely chopped
Garlic, two toes
Lemon juice
Cumin powder (next time I want whole seeds, toasted)
Coriander powder
A glug of olive oil
Salt and pepper
A big heaping tbs of chickpea flour + as much water as needed to make it sticky enough to form rough balls. Put on baking tray (squish flat a bit) and bake, or fry.

They go really well with warm-sweet flavours so maybe put a fair deal of paprika/chilli in them too. They won't taste as falafel-y but the mung beans are stronger and nuttier in flavour than chickpeas.
Mine came out slightly bland at least, hence the paprika. Next time I'll make them red and eat them with roasted bell peppers and black olives in a pita :allears:

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

paraquat posted:

Thanks for linking Dino's puda recipe, i gave it a try!
also with turmeric, scalions, ginger (and some chili powder, salt and LOTS of oil)

made mine too thick, which made folding no longer an option, so I will thin it down a bit more next time.
but it was delicious!

ate it with truffel(oil)-hummus, and roasted eggplant/red onions/red pepper and sun dried tomatoes on top

Awesome! A bit more water does look like a good idea but don't worry about the foldability. You'll only have earned the privilege of making it half-way through before it all falls apart. They're pretty poo poo wraps basically, I'm just glad I live alone so no one was there to see me eating like a hot sauce covered toddler.

I considered the experiment a success because it was delicious but uhh... V:shobon:V

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
:siren: It is asparagus season, stuff as many in your mouth as possible :siren:

Grilled spergs and sweet potato, lemon-yoghurt mayo and eggs

Crunchy sperg salad with spinach, strawberries, parmesan cheese, roasted sunflower seeds and balsamic reduction. :allears:

Also a lazy dinner: tempeh, white cabbage and onions with ketjap manis and sesame oil

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Also made pita bread tonight, with some grilled eggplant and garlic yoghurt sauce

Bonus escaping dough

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Dude, that's just too much :swoon:

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
I did a special meat thing for a change: baby's first (ever) roasted pork belly! Could have let the crackle crackle more I think but I also never had crackling before. Is it supposed to be puffed up all the way? Can I pull off the rind and crackle it some more or has that ship sailed? It wasn't very good but something is telling me it should have been the best part.

I still have a good 3-4 portions left, think I'll put some in ramen soup and turn what's left into bao filling for lunches next week :woop:

Marinated in five spice plus ketjap, ginger, sesame oil and other assorted good stuff. The sauce made out of the leftover marinade+drippings is killer.

Quick 'n dirty sushi bowl with sweet omelette and stuff

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Pork bao :dance:

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

guppy posted:

That looks real good. I found this recipe, will that produce the right result? If not, can you offer a recipe?

Some recipes say to add a little rice or potato starch but any basic yeasty dough would be fine. Mine were made from leftover pita dough. V:shobon:V

Only advice I have is not to make the dough rounds too thin. On mine the bottoms stretched around the filling and I ended up with a very thick, bready top half and all the filling on the bottom.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Breath Ray posted:

Yes you can pull off the crackling. Personally I'm afraid of getting shards in between my teeth. Is the sushi bowl the crockery or is there actual fish in there?

It's what I call putting all the ingredients for sushi in a bowl because I can't be bothered to do the rolling. Pretend I made rolls with a side of edamame :v:

No fish, the yellow lumps are tamagoyaki.

redweird posted:

To get good crackling i normally pour boiling water over the skin then pat it dry and salt it. Then blast it at a higher heat initially. I rarely cook pork belly however as I am poor; this method works on pork leg and pork shoulder.

I did that but I blasted it at the end, maybe that was the problem. I also think I pulled it too soon because I was afraid of burning it.

Pork belly is definitely one of the cheapest meats here, which is why I'm experimenting. I usually just go vegetarian because I don't feel like blowing the equivalent of a week's worth of lunch+dinner vegetables on two chicken breasts.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

mich posted:

You can also call it chirashi. :)

Thanks! I knew it was a thing because a friend's Japanese wife makes it sometimes, but she just calls it "dinner".

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Sushi literally means "vinegared rice" though.

Jose posted:

I don't know how it is in the US, but its often the same price to buy a whole chicken in the UK as to get 2 breasts if you're after free range so you could just butcher it yourself

Same here! I do it sometimes, that's like 3 portions of meat plus plenty of stock. (My chickens are tiny)

Frankly I just loving love vegetables/fruit. I can afford more meat, but I often end up spending the money on cool stuff like asparagus. V:shobon:V

E: That's... not how it works.

PiratePing fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 25, 2015

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Gazpacho and water crackers (paprika/garlic and garlic/oregano) and a portrait of the artist in a spoon.

I am sweating garlic

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Grill envy :qq:

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

overdesigned posted:

I got a pasta roller/cutter for christmas so now I am deep in the throes of a "make pasta for dinner every night" binge.

I also got a salami for christmas so I put crispy salami shards in this plate.

Same! :dance:

Gyoza

End product, no idea why the pictures all look like this

Egg tag' and red wine red sauce

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Six years of stoner roommates taught me that "a bite" is about one helping and "a piece" means "half".

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

I made some elderflower syrup! It was surprisingly easy, I just soaked fistful of flowers in some water for a day and got about 500 ml of deliciously potent flower syrup. I'm gonna gather a good bag and make a huge bottle or two, plus maybe try my hand at elderflower liqueur. Elderflower everything, they're weeds anyway :neckbeard:

Sweet potato, carrot and pea samosas plus spicy peach and ginger chutney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Real tasty and soft beef, basically.

• Locked thread