Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

That Works posted:

Pecan wood smoked turkeys just done this morning after ~16h in the smoker.

Got a chicken and a pork shoulder on there now for later tonight.

Wow that is pretty amazing looking. does the smoke flavor penetrate the meat even through the skin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Good ol' poached eggs on some thick-rear end toast, bread cheese, and broiled asparagus. A new easy cheap favorite around my house.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
drat dogg, those are roasts, not chops. Beautiful char on that one in the plated pic. Making me smell summertime dinners.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Admiral Bosch posted:

I have a couple more chicken breasts so I'll be making it again later this week. Advice duly noted, thanks!

Whenever you have a plate of brown food consider upping your green/other color items. If just for a pic's sake, some parsley usually helps. Also some paprika in your breading is the 70s-80s way of adding a bit of rouge to your roast, and it still works.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Made some steak and orange+radish salad tonight. Leftovers lunch is prettier though.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

cigaw posted:

That's a very appetizing lunch! Do you have a link or a brand name for that bento box thingy?

Thanks! Yeah, it's a lunchbots.
http://www.lunchbots.com

I got mine on Amazon. They're a little pricey. The five-compartment one in my pic was 35 bux, but it seems like it is very good quality.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

VelociBacon posted:

Are you people making your adobo from scratch or buying it? I can't find it without chipotle peppers inside it, and can't find chipotle peppers by their lonesome. I guess I should hit up a proper market and not a grocery store.

If you're ever looking for chipotles in the future, look for them canned. They're just smoked jalapeņos, so you won't find them fresh. Sorry if you already knew this - I didn't until I was shopping for them one day myself.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I know I'm late to the party but RE: Chicken Eden Isle: :whitewater:

here's some white-bred midwestern chicken dinner sans canned soup

and some pretzels

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Fetus Tree posted:

what kind of noodles are those they look neat

Mezzi Rigatoni. Comes in a blue bag. Brand is Pastificio G. Di Martino. My grocery store has 'em. They seem pretty good, but I'm not a pasta expert.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Fetus Tree posted:

What did you do to prepare them, I am very much interested in tasting what you tasted

Haha - boiled them in salty water until al dente, drained and tossed them gently in some store bought pesto. Half the bag of pasta and half the tub of pesto made about 4 servings.

I used the buitoni pesto from the refrigerated section of the pasta aisle.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

The chicken sleeps with the fishes.

Mushrooms and onions, doing their thing

A balsamic reducing

Hello. Pesto Crusto. Papa Murphy and Buitoni, for a half-lazy home chef.

Chicken Incoming

Mushroom'd. Onion'd.

Cheesed. Garlic and red pepper to finish

A hot butt

A cooling butt

A crusty bottom

Money shot

Oh yeah, forgot the black stuff.

Better late than never

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 10, 2015

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Dad Jokes posted:

I made brownies. Possibly too many brownies?????

You can send me the ones you don't need and I will see that they are responsibly disposed of

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

ogopogo posted:

Been tweaking my pizza oven the last few days. Still haven't got it dialed in. Oh well, more pizza...

these are pretty magical-looking

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Superconsndar posted:

I raise pigs. This piglet's mother had to be culled and we had to bottle feed her. Tonight, I am making breakfast sausage out of scraps from her mom. She wouldn't stop getting under foot so we showed her what happens to bad pigs; who get in the way.

That seems kind of hosed up

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

paraquat posted:

had a taco night last weekend, and I think that was a first.

On the plate a salad with cilantro, apple, tomato, dressing, etcetera and avocado with oil and spices,
in the tacos there is a spicey black bean stew on the bottom and pork belly on top, with some turkish yoghurt and hot chili sauce on top of that.

That's the best looking taco night I have ever seen.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

im full of poo poo posted:

What, you don't have a taco holder?

it is a dishtowel

Hey I have those same towels! What's up fellow choosy amazonner

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Crusty Nutsack posted:

This reminded me of a taco serving tray thing we had when I was a kid. when this thing came out, it was going to be a good night

Rich kid spotted

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
poo poo just got real

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

sharktamer posted:

Improvements for next time: gotta figure out how to make the breadcrumbs stick better and on both sides

Try a standard 3-step dredge next time
http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/955127/how-to-set-up-a-standard-breading-station

If you're looking for a lighter option, consider grilling bare?

Re: Toast crumbs?
Are they not as crunchy as you want? You could try using panko and/or mist your cutlets with a light coat of oil after they're breaded.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Chef John is the poo poo and if you got a problem with the he way he talks I'm gonna have to give you the old tappa-tappa. You are the stupid freak of your vocal critique.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Look like a pile of diva cups got barfed on

Just joshing. Would eat.

Where do you get just the hoods? Or do you freeze the rest for something else?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
MY GIRLFRIEND made the pretzels from this post in the General Questions thread

Pretty tasty. Fluffier inside than any pretzel I've had from the store, but still crunchy on the outside. I wonder if this is what pretzels were like before their recipes got corrupted by mass production or something.Would Eat Again.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

VelociBacon posted:

Looks good but your post leads me to believe you've only had supermarket pretzels which is ridiculous. Treat yourself next time you see a street vendor or something.

I've had soft pretzels but never homemade before. There's a farmer's market nearby that has fresh pretzels. I'll have to try one of theirs sometime.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

emotive posted:

Coconut curry soup with brown rice noodles and crispy tofu.

That looks really good. I want to eat that.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Nhilist posted:

Oyster Po' Boys with stone ground mustard caper remoulade, it's wierd, I lose weight all week yet come Monday I weigh the same, frlipping scales are broke again.

drat! I gotta try that

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Shakshukaaaaaaaaaaaaa

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

I made a venison loin with a red currant, port and shallot sauce, potato dauphinoise, carrots, beans and broc instead of the traditional Christmas dinner as there are only two of us and venison is delicious.

Wow those veggies look super nice.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

neonbregna posted:

Do people not actually use one of these

I get anxiety cooking chicken breast but I can use a garlic press no problem.

I would wager that most people don't use a garlic ruiner press. Also, you're not supposed to press unpeeled cloves. Aint nobody want that paper in they teef.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Mr. Squishy posted:

Was there any soup in there, in between all the onion?

We need to get tiggum in here; I'm pretty sure that's a salad.

E: nevermind, I forgot that salads are stew

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 6, 2016

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

ogopogo posted:

Egg and pancetta on sourdough.

those should be called 'barn oysters' or something

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
e: doublepost

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Jesus Christ I want to make a meatloaf just to have leftovers now.

Made my own favorite meal: steak and rolls. Totally worth five minutes of setting off the fire alarm.

Eyyy, lookin' good there steak and smoke alarm buddy
E: your sauce looks peppery and good. I might have to try doing that.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

To be honest the brown sauce is just Chipotle flavored A-1 because I was lazy and wanted to eat my steak.

I mixed in some of the adobo sauce (what canned chipotles come in) into the olive oil, and liberally applied Gibson's (of Chicago steakhouse fame) steak seasoning. Added butter to the steak while it rested before adding some A-1 because gently caress, it's not like I offended the chef. Rolls are for sopping up the remainders of course.

Hmmm, well, looks good anyway. Think ill look in my sauces cookbook for a beef pepper sauce.

Throw some roquefort on there next time. nothing contrasts more pleasantly. Great with bread as well!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

MrSlam posted:

Alright, I'll do it! I'm going to Toxx myself to do it by the end of this upcoming Saturday. I know that's not how Toxxes work, but I'll know and I'll punish myself if I don't do it.

No, that is how toxx works. Quoting for :toxx:

Don't worry, shakshuka is so easy and good that if you don't pull through, you deserve to lose ten bux.

E: content for a snipe
MrSlam eat the eggs

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 12, 2016

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Burged and beered. Local grocer's fresh-rear end, glutenous, buttery kaiser roll stole the show.

BTW I wish that was pubes all over the plate, but it's only crazing

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Brawnfire posted:

Holy gently caress, I gotta try that Otra Vez

Its worth a try. I blee it's ~ 4.5%. Sweet, sour, and light. Use as a foil to something fatty IMO

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

MrSlam posted:

Tonight I made a fancy obscure American dish. A little something called Green Bean Casserole.

You ever browse the grocery store, see an ingredient, and realize you had to make something with it immediately? Well the green bean harvests have started coming in so I knew I needed to make this right away.

No, I didn't use a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup or fake onions

I would like to know your recipe for this. I tried making GBC from real ingredients one Thanksgiving and it came out even shittier than the canned soup version.

From that point I believed the dish was probably invented by Campbell's to sell their otherwise-inedible cream of mushroom soup, but your pics indicate it is possible to do it for real

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 6, 2016

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Phil Moscowitz posted:

How much potatoes, how much water, and how long did you brine them for? They were sliced already I presume?

I've done fries before but I can never get them to the restaurant shoestring quality I want. Did you parboil? What kind of oil?

I fuckin love French fries and I want to make them good!

If you are very interested in fries, you should try Heston blumenthal's thrice-cooked fries. It's fussy and takes forever but the fries are legit remarkable.

https://youtu.be/MCB9jIpNGzY

E: on looking again at the last link I posted, the recipe was incomplete. See this vid for the real deal and start at 1:50 if you're in a rush

https://youtu.be/F-VsLRVemzk

Sorry bout my lazy sourcery

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 9, 2016

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Lol
Something about the "chicken cordon bleu hobby kit" in Fight Club.

Gotta start somewhere though! I'd eat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Spaced God posted:

It gives me poo poo to cook I never would have otherwise, but yeah I totally deserve to get bashed.
Tastes good, that's all that matters to me.

It looks fine. Well executed. It was funny to me, googling it and finding pictures that look exactly like it - something dystopian about it.

I'm imagining sitting at a gray plastic table where everyone is wearing the same clothes and has the same haircut and the exact same plate of food, right down to the number of beans. I ask what the sauce is for and the others look at each other like the "he doesn't know what the three shells are for?" scene in demolition man.

Good job expanding your repertoire and don't get discouraged by us weirdos.

• Locked thread