Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I just binged 20 pages of this thread...there is some seriously amazing poo poo in here. Like ambrosia, shakshouka, tabbouleh and steak. And plating, JFC.

Some lasagna in the traditional style. First came the ragu. Sweated onion, garlic, celery and carrots with a bouquet garni, then added meat, sealed to the pan so it would brown and not steam.

Nice and dry and it's ready for a bottle of wine, the roman legionary ration. 750ml

Cook it off, add the tomato paste and passata di pomodoro.

This is handmade passata, pressed from tomatoes from my garden last summer. Beautiful tomatoes so ripe and italian, mwah

Let this poo poo stew for a couple hours and make the lasagna!

This is a picture of me making the pasta. I am very traditional.

I only use Flintstone style mixer! I am a bambino at heart.

Blanch my babies and get the bechamel working.

Time to layer the goodness...ragu, besciamella, ricotta/moozadel, pasta, ragu, besciamella, ricotta/moozadel, repeat another 8 times or so...

Top with shredded parmesan, bake, and grub down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

MrSlam posted:

Tackled a crawdad/crawfish boil last night. Still not sure what to make of it. Since we're hicks from the southwest crawdads aren't our typical fare (though I guess our state is lousy with them). The biggest challenge was figuring out how to eat the drat things. I eventually learned my own method:
1). Break the back
2). Twist the tail
3). Suck the meat
4). Open it sidewise like a treasure chest
5). Shovel out the carcass

Still though, I don't think it's for me. It's one of those meals that always looks more appetizing to me than it is. It tasted good and we all ate a lot but there was a lot more left sitting around and we're not too keen on the leftovers. Eating it is more a chore than a luxury at this point. Plus throwing away all that boil liquid felt like such a waste. Still, had a fun time. It was good food and a great experiment.

How much did you cook? That plate sure looks empty, haha. You need to dump that stuff on a table outside and go to town.

You're basically there on how to eat them. Pull the tail off, squeeze the head and suck out the juice (only works if you let them soak long enough). Peel off the first couple of tail segments, pull out the meat with your teeth or hands. Move to the next one. The whole process should take about three seconds.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Those are great. well done.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I freaking love enchiladas. Oh my god.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Is this a sponsored post?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

ogopogo posted:

I'm just a pizza obsessed dude. Not selling anything, just show some good eats!

It does look good and your production is great. Just the title of the video is the name of the pizza oven, which we see quite a bit, whole lot of effort to make a video to post on SA, etc.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

Ribeye and aspergers for dinner last night. 130°F sous vide and finished on the Baking Steel.

Does this do anything that a cast iron pan doesn't?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Raikiri posted:

Made Ramen (spicy pork) for the first time yesterday.

That looks good. How did it taste?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

How much potatoes, how much water, and how long did you brine them for? They were sliced already I presume?

I've done fries before but I can never get them to the restaurant shoestring quality I want. Did you parboil? What kind of oil?

I fuckin love French fries and I want to make them good!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yes

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Tonight was an experiment. Chilean sea bass cooked sous vide in duck fat on top of quinoa with parmigiano reggiano topped with a spicy chimichurri. The "scales" are thinly sliced zucchini blanced in salt water with a few drops of fish oil. It was pretty drat good for a first attempt.

oh yes indeed

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Spaced God posted:

Peruvian roast chicken with potatoes, green beans, and jalapeņo sauce. I'm only just starting to actually cook fancier poo poo and this was the first meal I did where I was really happy with how I plated it :shobon:
in celebration of that, I took a really lovely photo that didn't really show the plating

Looks like someone has Blue Apron :pwn:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Dude I only know cause I made the same thing. I'm not knocking it. I like their stuff.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I love a pepperoni pie. Good lookin pizza

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Ranter posted:

Spaetzle, my take on goulash, cucumber dill and sour cream salad, semmelknodel, regular salad. I German'd the gently caress out.

Whoah...looks amazing

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Olpainless posted:

I felt like seafood tonight.

King asian tiger prawn; king oyster mushroom; shimeji; ginger-spring onion sauce; XO and Laphroig sauce; garnish. The prawn was lovely, sweet and meaty and delicious. And the xo-whiskey sauce is definitely on the go-to list. It's a flavour bomb of savoury and smokey and salty and spicy all at once, goddamn. Plays off the sweetness of the prawn perfectly.

The mushrooms and ginger-spring onion puree work as a nice little palate cleanser between delicious bites of flesh.

Very nice presentation. How big was that prawn? The ramekin looks about 1.5, two inches in diameter?

Tell us more about XO and Laphroig sauce please.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Had a craving for General Tso's. Did not make quite enough sauce for the volume of chicken but that's okay.

Can you share a recipe for this? I love me some American Chinese food.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Holy Dagwood

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

blacquethoven posted:

brisket, root beer bbq, crispy pickled onions (pickled in the brine from pickled jalapenos), house made bun

Fffffffffffff

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2006/12/03/natchitoches-meat-pies-recipe/

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That's awesome, how much was the course?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Usually when I find passata it's a tad more expensive than tomato sauce (though maybe not more expensive than, say, canned whole San Marzano tomatoes), and it usually comes in a box, like this:

http://www.sunmarket.it/prodotti-alimentari-1/pomodoro-in-salsa-pelati/pomodoro-in-scatola/pomi-passata-di-pomodoro-brick-slim-gr-500.html

Though apparently it is also sold in jars.

But that pasta dish looks great and I plan on making it as soon as I have some time to make pasta!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Ranter posted:

The opposite actually. Comes in tall jars usually. You will find it at whole foods, or just a decent market. The pomi boxes are what you will find in a Lucky's/Safeway/Kroger but the price is jacked up bs.

Well "usually when I find it" it is in fact a box, whether sold at Whole Foods or the regular grocer. Just so people know that sometimes, if they can't find it anywhere in a jar, they should consider it might be in a box.

:)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I only use "barbecue" when I dig a hole in the dirt, cover a whole animal with leaves and coals, and eat it with my hands in the traditional fashion. Anything else is wrong.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Did you cook it on that screen?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Did you make the gnocchi or is that blue apron? :D

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

SMDFTB posted:

No, I cooked it on a baking steel and transferred it to the screen to cool. I found that when I put the pizza on a wood cutting board straight out of the oven that sometimes the bottom tends to get a little soggy from the steam.

It looks great. I have a screen that I've used to cook the pizza. Just curious.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

I made it. I used Gordon Ramsay's YouTube video to figure out what the dough should look like. The only gnocchi I've seen in local grocery stores are tiny little flavourless pellets.

It looks good and not like store bought. I haven't made gnocchi in a while simply because of the labor required (as far as I remember) but yours makes me want to make it again.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

eine dose socken posted:

Can't wait to eat my way through Bangkok again.

lol

One night in BKK and the world's your oyster

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

beerinator posted:

I've been working on my buttermilk biscuits.

This recipe I use is almost exactly this recipe, except mine calls for another half cup of buttermilk. It's a super easy recipe and the only downfall of making your own biscuits is the clean up time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d348FGXomg0

I would soak those in my runny yolks and mop up grits and debris with them all night

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Goddamn

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Soo....huevos rancheros?

Why not indeed!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

LogicalFallacy posted:

I've got a gumbo recipe that my grandmother would give to folks fleeing Vietnam that list over a dozen ingredients to use "based on preference and availability."

Share it bro, mo gumbo

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Looks delicious

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Huevos rancheros North African style.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Woah...great job dude.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That looks mouth watering. I might make some curry this weekend.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Do they sell hand pulled noodles at your Asian market? Where are you located?

That does look good.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Do not accept chinese take out in those paper boxes they are problematic and othering

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Made a big bowl of red beans and rice with andouille on top.

Lol dis ain't a funeral cuz, you presentation problematic

Can we make it a requirement that food posted in this thread have culturally appropriate chopsticks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Is it disrespectful for a white person to eat Chinese food with chopsticks? What if I eat it with a fork, but the whole time I am thinking positively about the Opium Wars and how Hong Kong should have stayed under British protection?

• Locked thread