Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
Apologies in advance for crap pictures.

I made 80% hydration baguette from The Weekend Bakery again. I love this poo poo. I burned the bottom a little because the rack was too low, and my shaping blows, but the bread itself came out pretty great. Could have used a little more salt.

Also delicious and super simple Greek salad that I've been making for years, I love the poo poo out of this too. I usually use just cucumber, tomato and red onion but I've been adding spinach lately by roommate request. This is also really delicious with clementine segments. Vinaigrette is just red wine vinegar and olive oil, feta cheese, salt and pepper. Kalamata olives, of course.

Finally I made a massive batch of mac and cheese (penne, whatever) with a roux base for the first time in years, was extremely simple and delicious. Sauteed lots of butter and onions, added garlic powder, salt and pepper, some crushed chillis, three tbsps white flour, sauteed a little more until the flour was browned a bit, slowly added about a litre of whole milk, a quantity of two year aged Canadian cheddar (maybe 150g? 200g?), half a small tin of tomato paste, about 200g of bruschetta, and finished with oregano. Super easy to throw together with random ingredients from around the house and roommates strongly approved.

Doom Rooster posted:

Well, I finally did it. I have made the best pizza that I have ever tasted.

I've been cooking pizza twice a week for the last 12 weeks or so, doing tons of side by side taste tests for each main ingredient, trying different dough hydrations, rise times and temperatures, etc... While much more practice is needed to consistently kick out the same level of quality, I am very happy with results.

This pizza was:

3 day cold rise dough
Carmelina San Marzano tomatoes (salted and passed through a food mill)
Pecorino Romano grated finely
Fresh Mozzarella
Sprinkle of Ning Chi Super Hot chili oil
Hot Calabrese Salami

I'm a little emotional lately but this literally brought tears to my eyes. That pepperoni salami. I can taste it.

good electric posted:

roasted an eggplant

Also oh my loving god this looks good. I love eggplant. I love this.

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
My roommates were all miserable today so I made them seriouseats Southern fried chicken.

This is about half the batch after the first frying.

There are no shots of the second frying because it was ripped from my hands as soon as it came out of the pan and I didn't get a chance to photo it.

FRIED CHICKEN FOR BREAKFAST TOMORROW.

Olpainless posted:

Dinner party yesterday!

Starter of Japanese braised pork belly (buta no kakuni) served on chinese radish 'noodles', with pickled radish, shallot, cucumber and spring onion;

Main of trio of beef (braised short rib, sirloin, and marrow) served with Roaring Meg battered onion rings, petit poit, and a caramelised onion and beer sauce;

Desert of strawberry cream profiteroles, in a chocolate and black pepper basket, with strawberry sauce, strawberries, and physalis.

Generally enjoyable (though the baskets didnt quite work right, i'm going to have to invest in some proper chocolate moulding stuff sometime), and also actually my first time working with choux pastry. Could have presented the main better too, I think. It all went down well with our guests though, so that's what matters.

Everything looks incredible but I need that beef in my mouth, stat.

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 4, 2016

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
Refried chicken brunch burritos (Louisiana hot sauce not pictured).

there's still so much fried chicken.

e: Also, do we have a Southern food thread? I've made fried chicken a bunch of times now (this was the best) but I'd like to start cooking up big Southern and soul food feasts.

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 4, 2016

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well, based on all of the responses it seems like a Southern cooking thread would go down really well. The only thing is that I'm not really qualified to start a megathread. I'd like to get started cooking stuff like corn bread, collards, biscuits and gravy, chicken fried everything, grits, all that good poo poo, but I mean...I haven't yet. And I feel like an expert is the person to start the thread. Worst case scenario I would do some research and open a thread anyway, but uh...any volunteers?

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
Cool man, thanks for the encouragement. If no one else wants to jump in I will probably get started organizing something tonight.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
I will get on it, given the interest we should really have a thread. Again if anyone else wants to jump in please feel free, otherwise I'll go ahead.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib

the best part about spending to hours building a sauce is getting loving wasted in the interim

e: *two, and definitely not loving drunk posting about it. Also this is just a spicy creamy tomato thing with chicken

nice one

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 3, 2016

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
I wifed up another victim so I've been cooking again lately. I just don't cook that much when I'm on my own. So much nicer to feed someone else.

Nothing special, just misc. stuff from around the house. Mac with pasta sauce and beef, middle layer is ricotta, cream cheese and broccoli, topped with old Canadian cheddar and panko.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
Carrot soup (carrot, onion, garlic, chicken stock, cream, butter, salt and pepper), chicken and cauliflower bake (bechamel + old cheddar for the sauce, topped with mozzarella and panko crumbs), and the veggie mix is just a frozen bagged thing from M&M's meat market that I liked a bunch.

Photo courtesy of BF.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib

Leek and potato soup/salmon and bean salad

(soup is leeks, elephant garlic, s&p, sauteed in butter, added few pounds of halved new potatoes, coated in mixture, added a bunch of garlic powder, half a can of Sapporo, tbsp of flour mixed with a little water, chicken stock for the rest of the liquid, cooked until potatoes were fork tender and then lightly mashed about half, finished with cream)

(salad is 4 salmon fillets browned in cast iron, pulled apart and added a couple cups of this bean/corn mix I like, felt like keeping it English so seasoned with Worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, honey, salt and pepper).

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 2, 2016

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
All of that loving rules, GF.

lovely picture but I've been marking hard scrambled eggs my entire life and I now see the error of my disgusting ways. I think I've p. much mastered these now, I don't add any creme fraiche or anything, just straight eggs scrambled in butter and finished with s&p. Bread from the farmer's market w/ jalapeno cream cheese, side of braised brussels sprouts and shrooms.

I really really want to make some preserves before the season is over. TO THE CANNING THREAD.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib

MiddleOne posted:

Why are they so white, is it just the lighting? :stare:

It's just the lighting. Toast also looks untoasted.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
I've been wanting to grind my own meat literally for years but I've been putting it off and putting it off. Finally bought an oldschool grinder from a friend. It belonged to her boyfriend's mother and it's probably about 100 years old. When I set it up I was a little apprehensive because the blades seemed very worn down. Sure enough, I chopped up some prime rib and started grinding and...nothing happened. I just got a pile of half mushed meat that wasn't going anywhere. I took it apart to make sure all the pieces were there - check. Looked online to see if the blades needed to be sharpened - nope. Tried putting some of the pieces on the other way - impossible. I had basically written it off when my a friend dropped by for a drink. I told her I was super bummed that it didn't work. She's also into food and insisted on checking it out. I was still feeling frustrated so I told her I didn't feel like messing around with it again - especially since I'd just washed some of the parts. She's pretty stubborn so she insisted on taking a look at it. She turned the crank one way, then the other, and looked at me. "...Which way were you turning it?"

So I made some prime rib burgers to go with this lovely wine. They were loving amazing. I was going to do just salt and pepper but I'm a garlic fiend so they're prime rib, s&p and a few cloves of crushed garlic. BF said they were some of the best burgers he's ever had and he's American so

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 20, 2016

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
If I'm going to grind meats, it's going to be with the One.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
I made a giant vat of borscht, half red and half golden beets. And some coconut curry carrot and pumpkin soup. I still have a head of cauliflower in the fridge so I'll probably make a pot of potato and cauliflower soup tonight. And maybe some pea soup. I really like soup.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib

His Divine Shadow posted:

Grilled cheese sandwich with beef brisket

Basically a what I found in the fridge type of food.

loving hell.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
I made pickled beets! Golden and red.

And a noodle bowl with fried tofu. I make the best fried tofu. It looks washed out and kind of gross here but it was in fact deep golden and crisp and amazing.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib

nazutul posted:

It's tremendous tofu. Incredible tofu. You're not gonna believe this tofu. People say this (and now I really don't say this), they say, "Doctor, you make the best tofu."

I don't think I need to tell you who's gonna pay for this tofu.

sweat poteto posted:

Tell me your tofu secrets. Lately I've been just doping it with soy and chilli and baking it for 30 mins.

The slices in that picture are a little too thin. I like frying thick slices of firm-ish tofu at a high temp in a mixture of canola oil, butter, garlic, s&p, and then hitting it with some soy or vietnamese chili garlic sauce or both. If the tofu is too thin it tends to get really chewy on the inside, although a fun experiment would be to slice it super super thin and see if it makes like...tofu chips.

Also I just keep canning things. I wanted to make just plain old Newfie mustard pickles but I changed my mind halfway through and replaced the turmeric and mustard powder with red curry powder and dijon mustard. It's really loving good.

The carrots are a seriouseats recipe, as are the golden beets.

Background is a pumpkin beer my partner is making, also contains bourbon soaked oak cubes.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
my sweet gently caress. the sausage.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just need to express how loving stupid all of your amazingly loving stupid chopsticks pictures are.

They're really loving stupid.

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 24, 2016

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib

Moundgarden posted:

happy thanksgiving

I can only imagine how loving edgy you looked setting that up on the dinner table. Touché, Internet Hero. You may have succeeded in making a Vietnamese woman you've never met feel deeply uncomfortable. You've won.

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 25, 2016

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
I need the recipe for that dhal like immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib

sweat poteto posted:

A small apple cranberry pie

That is a beautiful pie.

• Locked thread