Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I can get freekeh pretty much everywhere here, but it's always totally full of stones. Did you have the same problem with the stuff from Waitrose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
For Christmas dinner, I made Kenji's stuffing (replacing sausage with mushrooms+sage), and made a TON, so I froze some. Used the last of it up for Sunday breakfast – Stuffing Frittata with cheddar and Romano:

Then for dinner, we used up some of our bounty from the farmer's market – Tagliatelle with garlic, beet greens (got these for almost free), cherry tomatoes, and goat cheese:

The pasta was good, the frittata was INSANE.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I Soup'd!

Carrot and coriander. Finished it with yogurt and tahini and garnished with cilantro and sesame seeds.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Oooh, you just gave me an idea. I have some carrots with their tops sitting in the fridge. Wonder if I could make a pesto from the carrot tops?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Mujadara. Wanted something with it so I diced up some onion, avocado, and tomato and threw in some salt, cumin, and cinnamon.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

sweat poteto posted:

Made that tomato squash peanut stew someone posted way back when, pics have expired but has a link to the original.

This is my go-to for pot luck. It's loving awesome and I've had tons of people ask me for the recipe. Looks good!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Cross post from the pizza thread.

Cheese!

Spinach and feta:

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

sweat poteto posted:

On a bit of a lentil kick

with soft boiled egg and hot sauce

with cider & honey roast carrots, mint and haloumi

These both look awesome. I was on a lentil kick yesterday and made mujadra. Forgot to take a picture though :(.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Elderbean posted:

Attempted some Tarka Dal. I think next time I'm going to let the lentils get softer.

Welp, I know what I'm having for lunch!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Is tachin like tahdig? Looks awesome. I loooooove crispy rice!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Xoidanor posted:

What the hell is a beer float? Don't tell me you literally just poured beer on ice-cream. :stare:

Well how else would you make one? They're delicious, especially with something like a chocolate stout or a nut brown.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
X-post from the Mexican thread. This was lunch today:

Pollo Pibil (cooked in a dutch oven lined with banana leaves)
Steak (round marinated with orange juice, onion, garlic, cilantro)
Salsa Roja
Refried beans
Rice with lime zest
Pico de gallo
Red cabbage
Escabeche
Corn tortillas and flour tortillas

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Oh man, the 'what did you cook last night' thread has 35 new replies. I can't wait to see what everyone made!

:stare:

I (semi) recently cooked some tacos for a reddit meetup and it went really well.

Pollo pibil
Refried beans
Pico de gallo
Salsa ranchera
Avocado lime cream thing that was crazy delicious

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Fetus Tree posted:

could you talk more about the chicken and also what the white/green stuff is that appears to be behind the pico

White and green stuff was literally just chopped white onion and cilantro.

The chicken really is a thing of beauty. I mix up a couple different recipes. Basically take the dry spices from here: http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/cochinita-pibil/ and use that in place of the achiote paste here: http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Mexico-Chicken-Achiote

I usually marinate the chicken overnight. It gets brought to a boil then simmers for 2.5 hours or so (last time we went almost 4.5 because we used so much drat chicken). Then shred it and pour the sauce over it.

Couple notes about achiote seeds. They are hard. Really, really loving hard. I only have a dry spice grinder attachment for my Bamix so it took ages. Also, it will stain the poo poo out of everything. Moreso than turmeric. My dry spice grinder is a lovely shade of orange now. Worth it.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Breakfast!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
We pizza'd last night. Recently bought an IR thermometer and learned that my stone hits 600f on the middle rack. Didn't get as much blistering as I wanted on the bottom, will move the stone a bit lower next round.

Mozzarella, fresh mozzarella, capers.

Crumb.

Mozzarella, onion, pesto, parmesan. (Pesto and parmesan went on post cook.)

Crumb.

Mozzarella, spinach, mushrooms, cotija.

Mozzarella, mushroom, smoked paprika, cotija. Also minced a chipotle in adobo and mixed it into the sauce for this one. It was the last pizza, and probably the best of the lot.

Char (kinda).

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

A pizza steel is the best thing I've purchased for pizza. I put it on the top rack, the oven on convection 525. Pies cook in 3 minutes.

edit: That's good looking crumb on your crust

Thanks! I used a 70% no-knead for the crust. Simplest thing ever and it was outstanding.

So I've been trying to get a pizza steel and it's been drat near impossible. I was talking to my friends at a local pizza place here about how awesome steels are and the owner of the shop was listening into the conversation. He pipes up and says that stone is the best thing to cook on, and I said I couldn't find either one here. So he hands me this and says "Go home and make good food."

It's 1" thick and it's a beast. Best. Pizza guy. Ever.

Veritek83 posted:

Seconding the baking steel. Also that crumb is gorgeous. How long did you preheat? I think that might help with the char.

2 hour preheat. Maybe 15-20 min between pies. Next time I'm going to place the stone one rack lower and see how that goes.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Oh I absolutely agree that steel>stone. But this stone was free. And I believe shipping a pizza steel to me from Amazon costs roughly $450 last time I checked ;)

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Changed up my steel cut oats routine.

Parmesan, pepper, eggs. Savory oats > sweet oats.

angor fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 18, 2015

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

FaradayCage posted:

Eggs look great. Where'd you get em?

Recently started buying U.A.E. eggs: http://jenan.ae/en/large_white.aspx

They're incredibly tasty and I like them a lot. I'm happy they came about recently (or at least came to where I live recently) because our egg options were ridiculous. Anything cage free, omega 3, etc are $8-$10/dozen. These are $1.45 for 6.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

sweat poteto posted:

black pepper tofu with asparagus

Good lord this looks fantastic. Is the recipe from Plenty? Your own?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

ogopogo posted:

Because I have a problem

I want problems like this. :allears:

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Thoht posted:

What's your dough process?

600g flour
420g water
5g instant yeast
14g fine sea salt

No knead! Mix and let it sit for 12-15 hours then throw it in the fridge for a couple days. Take it out a few hours before you're ready to pizza and portion into 200g-ish balls. Let them bench proof for an hour while your oven heats up.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Sunday morning shakshuka.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Don't be scared! I totally overcooked the eggs and it was still delicious. Shakshuka is really, really easy to make, and quite forgiving. I totally cheated and used a nonstick to cook this in then transferred to a (warmed) stainless so it was that much more fool proof.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

MrSlam posted:

WELP! Shakshuka! Sorry for the Naked Lunch pics. That's feta cheese on top. Thanks goats!

I added sausage, a poblano, and an anaheim pepper to the recipe. Unfortunately, all the vegetable chunks were larger than was probably called for. I have horrible knife skills so they're always big and chunky, but they still cook fine. They're not raw or anything. So to make it more saucy and consistent I added tomato sauce (plus more spices) and simmered it for fifteen more minutes. It's really really good, but like I said...eggs hate me. By the time I plated them they skirted the line between barely runny and hard boiled and I was hoping for sunny side up consistency. Oh well. I'll pull them out five minutes earlier next time.

Dude, that looks awesome!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Had some friends over, made some food:

Miso glazed eggplant and tofu.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

The Midniter posted:

That's fuckin' beautiful. Vegan I would imagine?

Thanks! And yeah, I suppose it is. Bonus!

From what I've read, this isn't traditional miso glazed eggplant. I've only got dark miso (don't remember the name) on hand so I used that, sugar, and a bit of water to make the glaze. Eggplants get cut in half, oiled, and put face down on this lovely non-stick grill pan thing I was given. After a few minutes, they get turned over, add water or stock, cover and turn the heat down. In about 20 minutes they're perfect. Then just spoon the glaze over and throw them under a broiler for a minute or so. Super easy, and WAY tastier than the amount of effort put in.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

VelociBacon posted:

Looks great. What is that technique for slicing the scallions? I've attempted to do really angled cuts and it never turns out that well.

Split them in half, then slice lengthwise.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

silvergoose posted:

Shakshuka attempt 2: better, added toasted cumin seeds, smoked paprika, bell pepper, a little less red chili.

Can anyone confirm, shakshuka translates to "burns your mouth because you shovel it in while it's too hot because it looks so good", roughly, right?

Can confirm. That's exactly what it translates to.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

silvergoose posted:

Did you heat it, or eat it cold? I could imagine it being good both ways...

Gah I want to make more. Maybe tomorrow morning.

I would imagine you could get away with making huge batches of the 'everything but the egg' and portioning them out into ziplock bags and freezing. Near-instant shaksuka whenever you want!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Cross post from the pizza thread.

Full album:
http://imgur.com/a/HHmIE

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

iajanus posted:

Horrible phone photo but I made crispy skin duck last night and it was delicious

Pic wasn't showing up for me. Rehosted :)

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I made Cornish pasties! Well not exactly, I didn't add beef this time around. These were onion, potato, turnip, and cheddar. Salt, pepper, thyme, and parsley. Next time I'll add a bit of mustard I think, but these were REALLY tasty, even though I added way too much water to the dough.

I have 260g of dough left over. What should I do with it?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Leftover dough became little jam tart/hand pie things.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Shakshuka..........tacos?

Why the hell not!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Aaannnd now I have too cook Thanksgiving dinner with a slipped disc :smith:
I wonder if I can drink on this medication?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Applewood smoked cheddar and leek risotto. Tried my hand and stovetop-smoking some cashews and they turned out really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

sweat poteto posted:

poo poo, that looks delicious!

I made a Sunday lasagne ie to supply leftovers for lunch during the week

Garlic kale & parmesan bechamel, roast delicata squash, red sauce and ricotta on top.

Lasagne! Now I know exactly what I'm doing with the ton of free beet greens I got over the weekend :)

• Locked thread