Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Spaetzle, my take on goulash, cucumber dill and sour cream salad, semmelknodel, regular salad. I German'd the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I like to put big slices of salted butter in-between spoonfuls of the spaetzle as I take them out of the water. So they're coated in delicious buttery salty goodness.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
If you're going down that path instead of just delicious buttery noodles for your sauce, then throw in some parsley and grilled onions too.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
That schnitzel looks really loving crunchy and awesome. It looks like the schnit.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Some fancy pants rich dudes up in here to be cooking with fine drinking scotch.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Cavenagh posted:

I once made a pasta dish where the spaghetti was cooked in red wine and ended up quite quite drunk from it.

How much loving pasta did you eat?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
What brand was the cast iron, and how were you heating it? That sounds odd.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Fenrir posted:

Not sure about the cracked cast iron (how the gently caress does that happen?) but hey, nothing wrong with your meal choice there. I've done the same thing plenty of times. Just good ol' steak & onions. (I also do the more traditional liver & onions, love that too.)

I was thinking about this some more. Maybe they have an enameled cast iron and the enamel cracked.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Where can one find horse in the USA?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I had it in Berlin, was good. Better than the raw ground pork.

It's a little silly that horse racing is all fine and dandy here but eating is verboten.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Horse is legal overseas where Horses have medical passports, where every change of ownership, medical procedure, and drug given to them is recorded. There is accountability in regards to what is in the animal and what is entering the food system. In the US, there is no such documentation.

Yet a lot of the horses that end up in EU certified slaughterhouses in Canada and Mexico are raised in the USA.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Stringent posted:

Is it just me or are these indistinguishable from baked empanadas except for the filling?

Yes, baked pastries are from Europe. The Spaniards call them empanadas, the english call them pasties.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 1, 2016

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Sorry but those look more like pasties than empanadas

(they look fantastic)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Succulent.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

it usually comes in a box ... Though apparently it is also sold in jars.

The opposite actually. Comes in tall jars usually. You will find it at whole foods, or just a decent market. The pomi boxes are what you will find in a Lucky's/Safeway/Kroger but the price is jacked up bs.

MiddleOne posted:

Wait, now I'm confused. Isn't passata just crushed tomatoes?

No it's strained. And not cooked.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Theophany posted:

Here in the UK I've only ever seen it in those tetra-pak type cartons too, probably a European thing as when I looked earlier for US examples they predominantly seemed to be in jars like Ranter said.

In Italy and Australia they come in jars. These are the 3 (inc. USA) places I've used them regularly *shrug*

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Theophany posted:

Oh fair enough, my experience in Italy is entirely as a tourist without the ability to cook for myself. I remember going to a mini-mart in Venice and seeing like 120% proof nondescript alcohol on sale next to the lovely vodka I was buying though and wondering wtf was going on. I do love the extravagant glassware they tourist trap people with in Amalfi though, it's just so drat pretty. I ended up paying stupid Euros twice to give my mum a gift of Limoncello (which she obviously chastised me for) and buying my gf a bottle of delicious syrupy balsamic.

Venice is Venice. You have to go where the locals go and tourists don't during the winter months to get any sort of decent shopping and eating experience. We had a private guide that hooked us up with good spots but she mentioned that the islands themselves are slowly shrinking in permanent population as younger folk move to the mainland and rents keep going up. It's so spectacular and 'different' to any other city in the world, but it's super super touristy as you found.

I took some cooking classes in Florence, that's the only reason I knew they had them there.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Quality stuff, thanks man.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Actual Italian people NEVER use dried pasta :rolleyes:

For Sunday I made a roast. Half a pork picnic to be precise. There's a German dark wheat beer (dunkel weissbier) in there, and the resultant pan juice combined with home made chicken stock created the best gravy ever. And 'broiler' mode in ovens is like a cheat code for great crackling.

I also nogged.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

ShadowCatboy posted:

Goddamn that is one fine rear end piece of pork. What cut was this?

Ranter posted:

For Sunday I made a roast. Half a pork picnic to be precise.

The lower part of the shoulder, but cut in half. It's called a picnic roast in the USA. Above the picnic is the shoulder aka 'boston butt' cut.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Doom Rooster posted:

Made a big bowl of red beans and rice with andouille on top.

Racist.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The yolk in that scotch egg is loving perfect. Well done.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Dude watch out, you have an asian style knife in your photo next to tacos. The FJWs in this thread are going to come down on you like a ton of bricks.

Looks good though.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I got crispy tops (one side) following Chef John from FOOD WISHES dot com wiiiiith... his fondant potatoooooes! recipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOatJPocjDo

Here's a ribeye with fondant taters I made years ago:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Grand Fromage posted:

This is great and subtle picturemaking, well done.

That's a potato flipper, dude. What did you think it was?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

MiddleOne posted:

I honestly can't tell if this is you being coy or if you seriously did this unintentionally.

:fork: :iiam: :fork:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Wait, is making spaghetti alla carbonara with cream and peas racist now?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
x-post chili thread...

So here's my big post. Work chili cook off is Friday but I figured letting it rest 2 days in the fridge will only help the flavor. I'll post final results but I'm expecting not to win given the history I'm hearing around curries and not-chilis winning because they're not-chilies. Sounds like some BS but hey I learned a lot doing this.

One big thing I learned was the dried chilies I got had dirt on them. Washing them properly resulting in water. Water resulting in toasting being annoying so I switched to paste. I also learned the BEST chipotle in adobe brand is La Morena, even better than San Marcos. Pics incoming in various qualities and sizes because I am NOT a food photographer and suck. Everything taken with my phone.

Preparing the stock the weekend before last:

Getting my chilies together:

Couldn't get a smoked beer from my nearest BevMo so picked this for the bourbon/oak instead:

Mollie Stones is a ripoff but Alex was cool. I cut these up myself:

I spent too much time trying to get an efficient photo of everything so deal with it. Stock is on the far right:

I did a bunch of stuff that isn't pictured. Here's the end result, at the start of the simmering step:

4 hours later:

I opted for the more 'pulled' style of meat than leaving the soft chunks in tact. Hopefully this pays off:

Thanks for watching.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fuckin oath mate looks great.

You veggos are missing out on delicious beef salami though. Just sayin.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

silvergoose posted:

Slicing it and eating it plain on rice mmmmmm.

I basically do this + with whatever else I have around like garlic, an onion or green onions, fresh chilies, ginger, soy sauce etc.

My local Asian grocer sells like 15 varieties of these sausages beyond just pork including duck and duck liver. Haven't tried them yet. I have splurged on the fancy looking pork ones that are wrapped like cigars with little foil rings. So fancy.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Lasagna

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The sandwich, the tofu and the grilled cheese with summer sausage are all fantastic. I enjoy this thread a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Your camera and lighting is poo poo but I would eat that so bad.

• Locked thread