Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
I meatloaf'd or as my sarcastic wife calls it, meatcake, meh whatever.

Ground beef, ground pork, italian sausage, tons of garlic, onions, bell pepper, portabella mushrooms, eggsies, breadcrumbs, worcestershire sauce, kosher salt, ground black pepper, (I totally cheated, but 2 tbs of the pesto in a tube thinger)

Well bacon of course.

Siracha, ketchup, honey, dijon mustard, and yeah I'm outing myself, a little A1 sauce right on top.

Obligatory "sorry, crappy phone pictures"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
We fondue'd, wait, is that even a word?

White wine, swiss, gruyere and smeared the inside of the pot with garlic, and chibatta cubes.

I can't seem to keep up, is fondue, cliche or cool these days?

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

Le0 posted:

Hey, looks nice, what is it you guys call Swiss cheese? Because I'm Swiss and I don't know what Swiss cheese is. Gruyere is obviously the best cheese in the world tho :eng101:
Also I like to add a little Kirsch in the fondue as well (it's a cherry based alcohol which gives it a nice kick).

Aha, nice catch, it is actually emmental, you guys really really know how to do cheese. We usually do add kirsch, but, when we started the process last night and went for the kirsch, I did a quick sample of it, it had lost pretty much all of the zip. I think it had to do with me storing the bottle on the top part of our range (it's a pretty bottle) and it got warm to many times. Time to get more and store it properly.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

Cerena posted:

I made puff pastry, then put capers and tomatoes on the bottom, then cream cheese mixed with dill and diced onion, then topped it with smoked salmon.

That is so pretty it's almost a shame to eat it...I said almost.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Fondue in a beef broth, I am used to using grapeseed oil for meats and veggies and scallops, but we shall see said the blind man.

Nhilist fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 19, 2015

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Oyster Po' Boys

But really I came here to share the best remoulade sauce I have ever had...I think its the capers that does the trick. I feel terrible that I treated a wonderful sandwich, as nothing more than a delivery device for remoulade .

1 1/4 cups mayonnaise (use Duke's)
1/4 cup stone-ground mustard
1 clove garlic clove, smashed
1 tablespoon pickle juice
1 tablespoon capers
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon hot paprika
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended: Frank's Red Hot)

Toss in a food processor and wow.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
This skinny ribeye was left by somebody two moths ago from a grille out, stuck in the back of the freezer.

As a complete goof off we did the cook from frozen technique from cooks illustrated. It turned out great, as in almost sous vide good. I am doing this again.

Nhilist fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 8, 2015

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

Brawnfire posted:

Just terrible, no-good pictures here but I made bbq boneless country ribs with brown sugar baked beans in the smoker. It was my first time having to get my new smoker up to high heat for a length of time, so that was a challenge but fun in a primal pyromaniac sort of way.

They were delicious, the ribs were incredibly tender and tasted like brown sugar baked beans and the baked beans tasted like BBQ pork and everything tasted like hickory and cast iron and I was in heaven.

Well, now I know what I am doing Saturday, absolutely awesome.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
I think I did chili dogs, pretty sure there are hot dogs, I know the chili made it, lots of onions and dill relish, mustard at the bottom not sure how the tomatoes got in the mix in there somewhere.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
I'm not even going to bother quoting, the last two pages of everything are amazing. Also, without calling out names, those of you in said last two pages who did hamburgers...off to the Burg thread for you, they are all amazing looking.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Grilled Baby back ribs this afternoon. Did something different today, no sauce, just a light splashing of homemade pepper sauce (tabasco peppers and distilled vinegar) and that was it. Combined with the dry rub, I may not do barbecue sauce again for awhile.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
My super secret compound butter, very complex (butter, garlic, worcestershire and tabasco sauce, great now I have to kill you).

Blue point oysters baby shrimp and enough grated parm to slam your left ventricle shut.
Side note, how the hell I could do six to eight hour shifts shucking oysters without cutting my arm off is beyond me. Tonight, 18 oysters and I had at least nine near death experiences.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Fry some oysters

Add eggs, bacon and scallions

Let it sit for just a moment

Add some hot sauce..

And now you are doing the hangtown fry.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

Woof! Woof! posted:

Sausage and sauerkraut pizza. Tavern cut with no yeast.

Looks great, and what a great idea, I know what I am giving a shot for dinner. Just out of curiosity, does it not dry the kraut out to much, or do you add it late in the bake?

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

WTF BEES posted:

Had cerebral shunt surgery last Wednesday and am still recovering. I myself can't have anything too heavy but the wife wanted something hearty for brunch and she had gotten a great deal on some cheap steaks yesterday.

Looks hearty, and fantastic. Hope all is well with the noggin.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
I tried the reverse sear method, was really surprised how great these cheapo rib-eyes turned out.

Season them, then 275 in the oven for about 45 minutes, let them rest for 15, then in a poo poo hot cast iron skillet for 1 minute per side. They seared up nicely, and a good even mid rare all the way through.

lovely light.

Two points of interest, after cooking in the oven and then letting them rest, the exterior of the steaks were dry so they were very sear friendly.

Second, having let them rest already, you can cut into them immediately. Will definitely do it again.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Little creole last night, grillades and grits. You cannot even see the meddalions because of the sauce, and you know? I fine with that.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

Brawnfire posted:

Very simple dish of chicken thighs in a carolina-style mustard sauce. Thought it looked pretty in the pan, but I'm not great at capturing exactly what I want on a camera.

The picture looks great, and I agree it looks awesome in the pan, can you break down the whole recipe. I love cooking in my cast iron.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Oyster Po' Boys with stone ground mustard caper remoulade, it's wierd, I lose weight all week yet come Monday I weigh the same, frlipping scales are broke again.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Did Jambalaya this afternoon.

Toasting the rice...it makes a difference.

I was informed, that if you put tomatoes in it you are wrong, whelp, color me wrong.

Finale.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
I did the reverse grill method for a ribeye and burgundy mushrooms BUT...that is not why I am here. I came across a recipe that is:
1 part scallions
1 part raw horseradish
1 part good dijon mustard
1 part Duke's Mayo
1 part Sour Cream
splash of red wine vinegar

and by 1 part I mean, the recipe just said throw a gently caress it on it put however much you want to do...who would have thought that dijon mustard would go so well with a horseradish sauce.

Nhilist fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 6, 2015

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

Cavenagh posted:

Beetroot and Apple, Shaved Fennel, Roast Asparagus, Crispy Salon, Horseradish Creme Fraiche

Onions glazing for...

Mushroom and Walnut Stroganoff.

Hot and Sour Green Tomato Soup, Soy Marinaded Quail Eggs, Char Sui Pork.

Mac & Cheese, Red Jalapeno & Bacon Relish (Courtesy Serious Eats)

Crispy Pigs Ears and Frise Salad, Sorrel, Carrots, Quail Eggs.

Goat Cheese Tart (The crumbly edges make it rustic)

First off, absolutely fantastic! Could you possibly break down the Mushroom and walnut stroganoff recipe if you get a chance?

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

Full props for the culinary daring of this venture, I have always been intrigued by this dish but to big of a coward to, not only try to prepare it, but to even eat it. All my Swedish friends think I'm nuts just for the curiosity of such a...and I quote them "eehgggh, it sucks" disposition. But just like you did, they always compliment the accompanying side dishes.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Cross post from Cajun thread:

quote:

All in one pot.

Chicken and Conecuh cajun sausage and salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powder and cayenne.

Garlic

Onion

Red and Green Bell peppers

Mushrooms

Pasta

Chicken broth

Heavy cream

Parmesan

All done

Sous Chefs

Ridley's wink of approval

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Any excuse to spactchcock a bird, so I did a sheet tray spatchcocked chicken, with some fancy mushrooms and kale.

Got a 6 -pound chicken, spatchcock'd it. Covered the bird in olive oil, generously in kosher salt then ground up un-hydrated porcini mushrooms into a powder and equal cayenne.

Cut up 2 lemons, cut into ½-inch slices for a platform then some sage sprigs and rosemary sprigs then sat the bird down.

hydrated 1 cup porcini mushrooms.

(reserving the shroom juice for something, not sure yet)

3 cups shiitake mushrooms, 2 cups royal trumpet mushrooms, quartered 2½ cups maitake mushrooms, torn, some lemon zest,
4 garlic cloves smashed, 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced into rings and more olive oil and kosher salt.

Surround the bird with the mushroom mixture.

475F until the thigh reads 165 with the probe.

2 cups kale, roughly chopped, kosher salt and olive oil, place on the mushroom mixture then stick it back in the oven for about 5 more minutes.

Voila. Broke the chicken down and served it all on wild grain rice. You can't see it but the bird drippings and mushrooms and olive oil made for a wonderful little sauce.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
I smoked a chuck roast, nothing special except for the resulting jus, who would have thought smoked beef stock would taste so good.
I added wostershire and a little lousiana hotsauce to the pan on top of the onion halves and two cups of stock, it was an amazing dipper.

Nhilist fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

FaradayCage posted:

Nice, I may have to try this. Homemade stock?
Nope, beef stock right out of the paper box, also, tonight I heated the leftover stock back up with the remaining onions, dug out some gruyere and stuck it under the broiler. It was a smokey french onion(ish) soup, it was wonderful. A few cold slices of roast with horseradish and sour cream on baguette, I felt like a redneck frenchman.

• Locked thread