Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I don't know that I've ever had dried beef, unless it's just beef jerky. In which case, ok fine, but that's a weird thing to put in a dish with chicken. As for cream of mushroom soup, no, that's about the farthest from awesome you can get.

Have you ever had creamed chipped beef? I'm pretty sure dried beef is just another name for chipped beef (maybe in whole form, instead of chipped?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nur_Neerg posted:

Another! Sous vide salmon w/ crisped skin, butternut squash risotto, sauteed asparagus, brie stuffed roasted mushrooms, roasted garlic potatoes.

How long/what temp did you sous vide this? I'm always scared of loving it up from a failed attempt.

Also dat mushroom recipe.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I made my first apple pie ever. Turned out pretty drat good. I wish I got a little more color on the top crust, but the bottom crust was perfectly crispy. The only problem was that it was hard as poo poo to get out of the cast iron cleanly so it was more of an apple pie cobbler by the time it was on plates.

(yes my phone picture are always that dark inside, who knows)

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I use a pint glass and a shaker to peel garlic, just shake the poo poo out of it and it's all peeled in like 5 seconds.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VelociBacon posted:

e: Man I need an insta-read thermometer.

I just picked up one of these and it's pretty great for $15. There was a coupon code kicking around that brought it down to like $8 but I think it's expired.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RV3QAKS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

taqueso posted:

A friend of mine has a huge cast iron skillet just for pizza. I think it is 17".

I just looked these up and god drat they are pricey. I want one.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I did some corned beef sous vide last weekend, for leftovers I made a corned beef grilled cheese. It was amazing.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

From that point I believed the dish was probably invented by Campbell's to sell their otherwise-inedible cream of mushroom soup, but your pics indicate it is possible to do it for real

This is actually true.

quote:

Dorcas Reilly led the team that created the recipe while working as a staff member in the home economics department. The inspiration for the dish was "to create a quick and easy recipe around two things most Americans always had on hand in the 1950s: green beans and Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup."

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bob_McBob posted:

Ribeye and aspergers for dinner last night. 130°F sous vide and finished on the Baking Steel.

:drat:, I need a baking steel.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah was it a cheap one? I've got a Griswold from like the 40s or 50s and that thing feels so solid that I could get it red hot then dunk it in an ice bath and it would only get stronger.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ranter posted:

Where can one find horse in the USA?

Gunna be really hard to find. I don't think there are any US slaughter houses for horse meat.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Veritek83 posted:

Did the Food Lab sous vide "turchetta" for dinner (and so I could make a big batch of turkey stock for use next week). Very tasty, very messy. Want to get the skin wrapped a bit better and bit more evenly crisp next time.

You should post this in the Sous-Vide thread some people were asking about it.

Also looks great. I could never get the skin to work on mine.

e: Oh you did, nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Staring to get cold, soup time.

• Locked thread