Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I loved your Death Valley post. I've only been there once in the summer and camped at Wildrose, which I recommend (no fee, no RVs, out of the way). I forgot to bring tent stakes and of course the winds were over 30 mph that night. Piling big rocks at the corners of the the tent inside and out actually worked out.

I also ended up driving down a progressively washed-out road in a Passat only to find a bunch of cones and the backside of a "road closed" sign when I made it through to the other end. Exploring! However, it can be really dangerous out in the desert. Case in point, some German tourists that met an unhappy end in the 1990s when they got lost in a rental minivan:

http://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I probably wouldn't have driven down it if I knew it was closed! Only the exit end had a "road closed" sign :D. I would have backed up if it got risky, dying in the desert isn't something I'm keen on.

• Locked thread