Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

silversatyr posted:

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Ace has tent wall and roof tiles that you can use both in and out for tents. And there are some free-to-use resources around for larger pavillions, too.
Her are a few:
http://www.gdunlimited.net/forums/gallery/image/2068-ecos-tilesets-tent-interior/
http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/hanzokimura/media/HanzoGraphics/TentSetVX.png.html
http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/files/file/87-restaff-july-2013-release/

So, wait. If I wanted something like the Tent in BoF III I could make that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Sure you can.

There's a lot you can do with the maker, with or without scripts. As long as you have the image components, the rest is fine. The RPG Maker series was made to replicate SNES and early PSX-era RPGs with, so making a game that includes such things is easy enough. I've seen a lot of impressive things done with it over the years, and Ace is the best of them so far.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
How do I get the Event Touch trigger to work on an event with the Through option? Trying to make projectiles that fire over a pit and damage the player on contact, but they pass the player harmlessly.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 10, 2015

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
One option is to track the x, y positions of each projectile, and to have things happen when they equal the player's x, y positions.

Alternately, one of Yanfly's scripts allows setting tiles that npc's can walk on, but not the player. You can try using that. Actually, that'd probably work better.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Shark Tower posted:

Alternately, one of Yanfly's scripts allows setting tiles that npc's can walk on, but not the player. You can try using that. Actually, that'd probably work better.
I am actually already using that to control wandering monsters. So what you're saying is: uncheck the Through setting, make the pit tile passable, and restrict the player from the region?

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
That is correct, sir.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

You know, I've learned more here than by actual tutorials. Thanks for that Satyr.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So today I finished my first puzzle, which is to light up a bunch of tiles in a maze (complete with a special bonus if you find all 5! It even comes with a Zelda-esque sound effect!). I also learned how to use variables! Turns out I don't need switches loving everywhere!

I think I'm gonna just try to finish up my first dungeon. Trying to fix up events, writing and design is like going after 4 rabbits at the same time. And after that I will have to dig in and see how to improve my battle system. Because hoo boy is it boring.
Speaking of, Victim of Xen (bringing up the actual game for once :v:) also uses the default battle system, right? He doesn't even have battlebacks, he just swirls the level background, doesn't he?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

SSNeoman posted:

Speaking of, Victim of Xen (bringing up the actual game for once :v:) also uses the default battle system, right? He doesn't even have battlebacks, he just swirls the level background, doesn't he?

Yep, the battle system has nothing special done with it. It's honestly kinda funny just how little there is to it. It's not fair to compare any RPGmaker project to Exit Fate but that had a character effective attack ranges & a interesting system in regards to spell usage.
Even Skyborn did something cool with aggro management and has a few cool abilites as well as the regenerating MP system that Exit Fate used.

But yeah, not even battlebacks.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.

SSNeoman posted:

So today I finished my first puzzle, which is to light up a bunch of tiles in a maze (complete with a special bonus if you find all 5! It even comes with a Zelda-esque sound effect!). I also learned how to use variables! Turns out I don't need switches loving everywhere!

I think I'm gonna just try to finish up my first dungeon. Trying to fix up events, writing and design is like going after 4 rabbits at the same time. And after that I will have to dig in and see how to improve my battle system. Because hoo boy is it boring.

He doesn't swirl them - that happens when you don't add a background to a map by default. He didn't even put in the effort to add one... and there are many default ones to choose from.

Also, good job on getting your first puzzle done~ With variables, no less! It took me forever to even understand the buggers, let alone learn to use them properly, but sounds like you picked them up pretty fast. Good going!

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 11, 2015

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
No battle backs? Seriously? It's like 5 clicks!
Would I be correct in assuming he wasn't even bothered to put music in (except for battles and game over which by default have music)?
On one hand it's kinda depressing that this got through green-light, on the other it gives me hope that I can release my own lovely (but much less lovely) game and maybe get money for it, even use it as the first step in an illustrious game design career. After all we all need to start somewhere, and it's probably (slightly) better than the other common first published game (I'd like to be able to show my family as opposed to hope they never find it)

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

xelada posted:

No battle backs? Seriously? It's like 5 clicks!
Would I be correct in assuming he wasn't even bothered to put music in (except for battles and game over which by default have music)?
On one hand it's kinda depressing that this got through green-light, on the other it gives me hope that I can release my own lovely (but much less lovely) game and maybe get money for it, even use it as the first step in an illustrious game design career. After all we all need to start somewhere, and it's probably (slightly) better than the other common first published game (I'd like to be able to show my family as opposed to hope they never find it)

There is music but the stock stuff in VX is honestly pretty grating when you have to listen to it for a while so I eventually just muted the game.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

silversatyr posted:

He doesn't swirl them - that happens when you don't add a background to a map by default. He didn't even put in the effort to add one... and there are many default ones to choose from.

Also, good job on getting your first puzzle done~ With variables, no less! It took me forever to even understand the buggers, let alone learn to use them properly, but sounds like you picked them up pretty fast. Good going!

How do I use Variables? I've been using switches for everything.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Silegna posted:

How do I use Variables? I've been using switches for everything.

You can use them basically the same way. If you have a sequence of things that are supposed to happen you can use a variable and keep incrementing it instead of toggling a switch every time something happens.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
Here's a few articles about Variables:
http://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/327/
http://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/601/

They're basically very flexible switches that allow you to refer to numbers. You can use them in many, many different ways - from counting the amount of items in your pack, to checking your health, to making a timer, to counting story points, to changing poses for character events, checking where certain events are on the map (boulders on to switch puzzles), to making a bank system for storing gold, to creating a custom menu/battle system and much, much more.

Once you've mastered their use you'll find that eventing and what you can do with it opens up completely.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

silversatyr posted:

Here's a few articles about Variables:
http://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/327/
http://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/601/

They're basically very flexible switches that allow you to refer to numbers. You can use them in many, many different ways - from counting the amount of items in your pack, to checking your health, to making a timer, to counting story points, to changing poses for character events, checking where certain events are on the map (boulders on to switch puzzles), to making a bank system for storing gold, to creating a custom menu/battle system and much, much more.

Once you've mastered their use you'll find that eventing and what you can do with it opens up completely.

Wow. That's FAR simpler than making switches for everything. It's also far simpler to DO than I had thought. So basically, with Variables, I can change what NPCs in towns say after certain plot points? Just as an example.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

So, is there like something in RPG Maker coding (the kind of stuff you can do with events and the like) that goes beyond basic CompSci stuff? Switches, variables, that kind of stuff was stuff I was doing in Java in high school.

Not saying that's a bad thing - after all, one of the big points in RPG Maker's favor is being user-friendly and easy to pick up and work with - just wondering if there's something more complex people would have to watch out for.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Yep, you can directly access the engine with the Ruby Core and start doing all sorts of cool stuff.

People have even rewrote resizing the window, and all the other fun stuff.

Also, I'm still working on that sample game, it's just work is kicking my butt right now.

Hopefully I have another update post for you soon.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Silegna posted:

Wow. That's FAR simpler than making switches for everything. It's also far simpler to DO than I had thought. So basically, with Variables, I can change what NPCs in towns say after certain plot points? Just as an example.

You can use switches for that. A "plot progress" variable might be problematic if you had the game branch based on player choices.

The first big thing I used variables for was a doom track. As you messed around on the world map and did sidequests, the evil wizard you opposed made his own preparations. Some area transitions and events added to the doom track, and I had other events activate once it hit certain thresholds. For instance, at Doom 4 a flying demonic assassin appeared on the world map, chasing after the party. When you fought and defeated it, one party member mentioned that you might want to kill the wizard before he summoned up something more dangerous.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

SystemLogoff posted:

Yep, you can directly access the engine with the Ruby Core and start doing all sorts of cool stuff.

People have even rewrote resizing the window, and all the other fun stuff.

Also, I'm still working on that sample game, it's just work is kicking my butt right now.

Hopefully I have another update post for you soon.

Are...are those Earthbound assets?

avoraciopoctules posted:

You can use switches for that. A "plot progress" variable might be problematic if you had the game branch based on player choices.

The first big thing I used variables for was a doom track. As you messed around on the world map and did sidequests, the evil wizard you opposed made his own preparations. Some area transitions and events added to the doom track, and I had other events activate once it hit certain thresholds. For instance, at Doom 4 a flying demonic assassin appeared on the world map, chasing after the party. When you fought and defeated it, one party member mentioned that you might want to kill the wizard before he summoned up something more dangerous.
So, a timed game then?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Silegna posted:

Are...are those Earthbound assets?

Nope, they are from a content pack someone released as DLC for RPG Maker. A friend gifted me a bunch of them for christmas a little while back so I thought: "might as well use it.".

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

SystemLogoff posted:

Nope, they are from a content pack someone released as DLC for RPG Maker. A friend gifted me a bunch of them for christmas a little while back so I thought: "might as well use it.".

drat. And here I am using the basic RTP. If I could JUST FIGURE OUT HOW TO IMPORT TILESETS THIS WOULDN'T BE AN ISSUE.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Silegna posted:

So, a timed game then?

Sort of, but not really. You can use timers in RPG Maker games, and even specify whether they keep ticking during battle. Ideally, a doom track is more about tradeoffs. Decide whether the utility of a sidequest is worth an increase in challenge later. The way I did it, all Doom events got cleared partway through the game when you kill the Evil Wizard, and you were free to mess around doing stuff you skipped before the final dungeon.

Silegna posted:

If I could JUST FIGURE OUT HOW TO IMPORT TILESETS THIS WOULDN'T BE AN ISSUE.
First, go into Resource Manager and Import the image files. Then, in Database, go to Tilesets, increase the maximum number of tilesets, and start allocating stuff into the Graphic section for a new tileset. The A1-A5 tabs are designed to take adaptable "autotiles", but there are a number of free tilesets already set up that way, in addition to the RTP.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

avoraciopoctules posted:

Sort of, but not really. You can use timers in RPG Maker games, and even specify whether they keep ticking during battle. Ideally, a doom track is more about tradeoffs. Decide whether the utility of a sidequest is worth an increase in challenge later. The way I did it, all Doom events got cleared partway through the game when you kill the Evil Wizard, and you were free to mess around doing stuff you skipped before the final dungeon.

There's another example of this sort of logic in a game called Dhux's Scar. In short, you're trying to get to the world's main city, and one of your party members is actually a very powerful demon in disguise. There's a counter that goes off every time you take certain actions (mainly entering locations on the world map), and if you let it hit zero, the demon gets bored with the party and kills everyone.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I think I tried playing that last year. The awful font and ~edgy~ opening made for a pretty bad first impression, though. Is it worth a second look? I do like weird and unconventional parties.

By the way, I finished playing through this today, and I was really impressed with the party design. Each of the characters has a different resource mechanic for their special abilities, without it getting tedious or unfun.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

avoraciopoctules posted:

I think I tried playing that last year. The awful font and ~edgy~ opening made for a pretty bad first impression, though. Is it worth a second look? I do like weird and unconventional parties.

It's been a while since I played it, but I do recall that it gets better and I was definitely interested in finding out what happened next. The issue is that the game was designed to be very hard--and probably not all that well-balanced--so I eventually gave up about a third of the way in.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It sounds like a fun concept mechanic for a party member though; You can recruit this kinda powerful dude, but he gets bored with distractions, so you have to keep him entertained or he takes it out on your party and then you have to beat this guy you've been relying on so far.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

In this particular case, it's more of a "rocks fall everyone dies" kind of thing. The author really cared about making the game hard.

Edit: Also the demon is masquerading as a noncombatant 14 year-old girl.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

While I'm writing up the next update, here's the description of the upcoming update from a conversation that I was having with First Aid Kite on steam

quote:

It's just like We're on a boat and the two commanding officers on the boat are father and son then a ghost/soul eating demon monster-lady comes and is like "ha ha, I killed your dad" and the officer is like "no you killed my dad!" and then we fight and it's really easy.

So look forward to that

EDIT: Also it's the return of a default charset, this time it's the generic RTP samurai. So whoever said that we're going to be seeing him, you win the satisfaction that you predicted what would happen in a lazy game.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 12, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

avoraciopoctules posted:

First, go into Resource Manager and Import the image files. Then, in Database, go to Tilesets, increase the maximum number of tilesets, and start allocating stuff into the Graphic section for a new tileset. The A1-A5 tabs are designed to take adaptable "autotiles", but there are a number of free tilesets already set up that way, in addition to the RTP.

VX Ace is kinda weird because all of the "options" stuff you expect is actually in the Database, not in the menu bar. Chances are if you can't find something that you imported in, it's in one of the tabs in the Database. That takes some getting used to.

Testekill posted:

While I'm writing up the next update, here's the description of the upcoming update from a conversation that I was having with First Aid Kite on steam

Yeah I thought FFV was sickdope too.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.

Testekill posted:

So look forward to that

EDIT: Also it's the return of a default charset, this time it's the generic RTP samurai. So whoever said that we're going to be seeing him, you win the satisfaction that you predicted what would happen in a lazy game.

Yay! I win a prize!

Sounds like next update will be... well... 'fun'.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

In this particular case, it's more of a "rocks fall everyone dies" kind of thing. The author really cared about making the game hard.

Edit: Also the demon is masquerading as a noncombatant 14 year-old girl.

That is kinda of dumb. They should have let you play as that instead.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Silegna posted:

drat. And here I am using the basic RTP. If I could JUST FIGURE OUT HOW TO IMPORT TILESETS THIS WOULDN'T BE AN ISSUE.

in addition to what that avoraci-whatever dude posted you can just drag and drop assets into the respective folders. Ace creates a project folder under your My Documents, go in there under Graphics > Tilesets and just drag and drop (or copy/paste, if you want to keep a backup of the images). Ditto with characters and battlers and any other images, and there's an Audio folder for sounds you want to use outside of the RTP.

Be advised that a lot of the DLC stuff often only has one or two tiles per sheet and the rest is empty space. For best results youll have to cobble together a tileset using Gimp or Photoshop or whatever you use to combine a few that you want to use.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Silegna posted:

So, a timed game then?
If you want a mainstream example, look at Mass Effect 2. At some point the main plot makes it clear that it is time to stop loving around, and the more you gently caress around the more Bad Things Happen in the story.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Travis343 posted:

in addition to what that avoraci-whatever dude posted you can just drag and drop assets into the respective folders. Ace creates a project folder under your My Documents, go in there under Graphics > Tilesets and just drag and drop (or copy/paste, if you want to keep a backup of the images). Ditto with characters and battlers and any other images, and there's an Audio folder for sounds you want to use outside of the RTP.

Be advised that a lot of the DLC stuff often only has one or two tiles per sheet and the rest is empty space. For best results youll have to cobble together a tileset using Gimp or Photoshop or whatever you use to combine a few that you want to use.

Aren't there sites that have whole tilesets made up is the question?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Probably not the dlc stuff since that would be redistributing the stuff they want people to pay for. You can find any number of custom tilesets out there though.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
Making your own tilesets isn't hard. It's just a matter of copy/pasting the tiles you want into their respective sets. So, water/animated ground tiles would be in A1, normal ground, grass and low-layer autotiles are A2, A3 are outer walls and roofs autotiles, A4 are inside walls and roofs (and dungeon walls/roofs) autotiles, A5 are lower level non-autotiles - things like alternate ground tiles (cracked cobble) and stairs and the like. B-E are upper level tiles. As long as the backgrounds on those tiles are empty they'll work fine. I might make a video explaining this better if you need it, but there should be some out there already. Once you understand where things are supposed to go, it's not hard to start compiling your own.

The easiest to work with are B-E. If you'd like a bit of experience, I can give you a few tiles to add to your own E tile layer and you can see how you go with that.

Paste these in the relevant sets. Now, first you'll want a good image program. I use PSP but Graphics Gale is supposed to be good and free, in case you don't have one already. You'll want to copy all the tilesets from your RTP folder (which should be in Common>Enterbrain>RGSS3>Graphics>Tilesets folder) into the actual game folder 'Tilesets'. You'll then want to make a copy of them to mess about with so that if something goes wrong you can still refer back to the originals.

Then take the various parts of the above image and replace parts of the various tilesets. Next to them are the type of tiles they are. A lot of the time resources won't point that out for you, so you'll have to learn to pick out what goes where based on what kind of tile it is. Paste them into the different parts and then create a new tileset under the Tileset tab in the database (make more slots for tilesets by using Change Maximum and making the number higher.) Then add your edited tiles to one of the new slots. You will have to go through and edit your different settings. Passage is the one that is set by default and it allows you to change the passage of a tile by clicking on it.
X means you cannot walk on that tile.
O means you can walk on that tile.
* means that tile will be above the hero (overlap).

Passage (4 dir) allows for more detailed passage settings - say, making a tile that you can only walk left on, for example. Click the arrows to change.
Ladder indicates a ladder tile and will automatically make your hero face up.
Bush makes the bottom of your hero transparent, as though you're walking through thick brush or shallow water.
Counter lets you talk past that tile - for example, a table with an NPC on the other side. If set to counter the NPC will be able to be talked to from across the table.
Damage floor inflicts damage on you each step. Good for lava and the like.
Terrain floor acts in conjunction with the Get Location Info event command and is used to trigger events based on it.

After that, map.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I can upload some tileset edits if anyone is interested

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Jackard posted:

I can upload some tileset edits if anyone is interested

I would be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU