Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

If you've got anything that would work for a mosque, it would definitely be useful. I'm using Pandamaru's Arabic tiles and the onion domes for towers don't really do it for me. I'd like to make a not-Mecca centered on a big temple with lots of pilgrim visitors, and I'm not sure how to map it yet.

EDIT: I should probably link the tiles I'm using most right now:
http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/21-celiannas-tileset/ (a full tileset, with some varied furniture and really nice lava. Need an account to view it, but making one's pretty easy.)
http://maruresources.lonewolflab.com/?page_id=1401 (the artist is German, but they've posted their stuff on English forums in the past. Way more than just arabic tiles.)
http://www.rpg-palace.com/visual-resources/tilesets-rmxp/world-map (it's meant for XP, but I've copied some of the cities, structures, ships for my overworld in VX Ace)

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Oh, I forgot I had these. At one point I was working on a EB fangame.

Have some EB Tiles converted.

A1
A2
A5
B
C

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

avoraciopoctules posted:

If you've got anything that would work for a mosque, it would definitely be useful.
Afraid not, just compiling public resources and a few tile edits.

quote:

http://maruresources.lonewolflab.com/?page_id=1401 (the artist is German, but they've posted their stuff on English forums in the past. Way more than just arabic tiles.)
Thanks for this, it's more complete than his stuff available elsewhere.

E: Actually now I have to update my tilesets...

Jackard fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 13, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Here's some nature stuff I edited. Combination of RTP, Liberty, Maru, and who knows how many others. Seems like everyone borrows from each other endlessly.

Use the last two to make better forests without parallax:

Jackard fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 13, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
drat, that forest screen looks so noisy and is actually detailed in a way a lot of these tilesets are not. Good job.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Jackard posted:

Use the last two to make better forests without parallax:

Why can't I have this mapping ability....

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Silegna posted:

Why can't I have this mapping ability....

Probably because that isn't possible to pull off without using the assets above. Compare it to the package he provides and you too can see through the magic of having a varied pallette.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

Probably because that isn't possible to pull off without using the assets above. Compare it to the package he provides and you too can see through the magic of having a varied pallette.

I meant I get bland maps in general. I can't make things like that at all.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Practice gives you a good eye for good mapping practices. Also, looking at other games' maps that use the same resources helps, too.

Honestly, I've been mapping for many, many years and I still learn new stuff from time to time, constantly refining my technique, so don't fret if you don't get it quickly. One of my first maps was basically me paint-bucketing trees, making a path and ... nope that was it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Silegna posted:

Well, it depends on how you make the map, but with some touches, it's easy to make them a lot more interesting.

Take a look at this article, it explains a lot of how to make maps functional and nice to look at. General rule of thumb, start with the layout, then go through revisions adding details, similar to doing a drawing. Big picture, then funnel inward to fill it out.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Silegna posted:

Generally, it is not a bad idea to start bland. Like, making the general field necessary first and then improve upon foundations later and add in detail as time allows is key for making a gorgeous map.

You should really just pretty up the maps either when you can't think of anything else to do or when you are done with everything else. Too many projects end up dead in the water because they spend too much time making one area look super pretty and lose motivation for every other area in the game.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Silegna posted:

Dude, you're overthinking everything.

It's RPG Maker. poo poo out a hallway with some warps that connect to other hallways. If you have an interesting idea for a particular highway, feel free to implement it, but don't stress over it.

The game is supposed to suck at everything at this stage. Don't focus on making things good, focus on getting things made. Eventually you'll get slightly better, at which point you can go back and re-do your old maps, and start the cycle again.

Trust me, I have a quite frankly embarrassing amount of experience with RPG Maker.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

On the other hand, I've seen a lot of RPGMaker maps that have too much detail put into them. They are a cluttered, confusing mess and I don't understand the praise they receive for looking pretty.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

RPG maker games are forced into being pretty low-fi by the nature of the program so I think it's really counterintuitive to go as hog wild as some people do with the bells and whistles and realistic lighting and graphics. It really draws attention to the low-res window and the grid based world. I hate the high fantasy packs for the same reason, besides them being ugly. The best looking RPG maker games imo are the ones that lean into it, and have a clean, easily readable at a small size, graphical style.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Would the OP be cool if I posted my current work-in-progress dungeon when I'm finished with it? I want some goon opinions on it.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

SSNeoman posted:

Would the OP be cool if I posted my current work-in-progress dungeon when I'm finished with it? I want some goon opinions on it.

mock mock mock

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Speaking of dungeons, Im making a dungeon with a light reflecting gimmick - there are windows with sunbeams, that the player can use their sword to reflect at stuff to solve puzzles. Basically what I need is that any time the player walks into the sunbeam a beam of light goes out in the direction they're facing, then disappears when they step out of the sunbeam. It only recently hit me that it's going to look really dumb if the sun only reflects when they're standing in the specific spot they need to solve the puzzle.

Im probably going to kludge something together but if there's a simple elegant way to achieve this I'd love to hear about it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Would Common Event Tiles help at all?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Looks promising. I'm having a weird problem though. Im tracking player X and Y through variables so I can call a common event when the player steps in that region. It shows a different sunbeam depending on which way the player is facing. That works fine, but the players X coord is way off for some reason. No matter where the player actually is it seems to be deploying about 1 tile down from the top of the screen. The Y coord seems to be working fine. Any idea about something like this?

edit: I take it back, the Y coordinate doesn't really work either. Obviously Im loving something up with this coordinate thing.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 18, 2015

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Travis343 posted:

Speaking of dungeons, Im making a dungeon with a light reflecting gimmick - there are windows with sunbeams, that the player can use their sword to reflect at stuff to solve puzzles. Basically what I need is that any time the player walks into the sunbeam a beam of light goes out in the direction they're facing, then disappears when they step out of the sunbeam. It only recently hit me that it's going to look really dumb if the sun only reflects when they're standing in the specific spot they need to solve the puzzle.

Im probably going to kludge something together but if there's a simple elegant way to achieve this I'd love to hear about it.

So, like the Light Puzzles in Majora's Mask and Wind Waker? That'd be awesome to see in a 2D game.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If I had to make a guess, it's interpreting the variables that are supposed to be the player's X and Y coordinates as the number of pixels it should move the picture from the upper left hand corner of the screen as opposed to the player's actual position on the map. No idea how to fix that though.

e: Setting the variable's to track the player's screen X and Y rather than their map X and Y works. I read that this is because my map is larger than one screen.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 18, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I make all of my maps a single screen because Rpgmaker sucks at scrolling

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Jackard posted:

What do you mean? What does it do now vs what you want it to do?

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Jackard posted:

Well, that would work well in say, big city maps. For world maps? No.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Shark Tower posted:

What do you mean? What does it do now vs what you want it to do?
There is screen tearing while it scrolls. So, I removed scrolling maps.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
Lag? It might just be your machine. There are some anti-lag scripts out there, if you need them.

Keep in mind that unlike the older makers, you can't just use a ton of events for mapping. Events on maps cause issues. Also, try not to make maps larger than 100 tiles. Combine large maps with events and scripts and, well, yeah, you have some lag issues occurring. It's only natural.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Right, the other reasons for my single-screen maps are to avoid event lag and keep a small scope.

Mainly got this to mess with mapmaking and I can change the theme more often with smaller maps.

This is 20x15 (640x480)

Jackard fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 19, 2015

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
Well, I can't say much against it. The largest I tend to go with maps are around the 50-70 mark and more often than not they're long rectangles, not squares (so 50x20 or the like). I mean, I've made large maps but not ones I'm going to be using in a game.

Oh, btw, there's a script that deals with the slight (1-2 pixel) jump in events when you run. From what I recall, if you're moving too fast (using a speed script will do it) and you have events (very noticeable if you use them as 3rd layer events/mapping) then they jump a little up and down. It looks weird, but there is a script for it somewhere on the RMW forums.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

silversatyr posted:

Well, I can't say much against it. The largest I tend to go with maps are around the 50-70 mark and more often than not they're long rectangles, not squares (so 50x20 or the like). I mean, I've made large maps but not ones I'm going to be using in a game.
Yea my initial maps were something like 75x15 or 60x15 but that didn't work as well for the above reasons.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 19, 2015

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
Where you can I really recommend making up a few Tile E's that you can interchange with a few doubles of your other tilesets in the database. That is, make a copy of one tileset spot in the database (so that you have two identical ones) then rename the unused one to something else and change out one or two of the tile images that make up the whole. That way you can have a bunch of overlapping trees on a tile instead of having to use events.

Ah, and I highly recommend removing the world map tiles from any tilesets that they're on and using the spare space for something else entirely. Since most people use the map tiles in conjunction with events, (have events to teleport you to a town from the world map) you can easily just do away with them as tiles and add them as sprites. I've already done so:

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/584-libertys-edits-update-november/
My edit topic. I need to update it and add the new stuff I've done. >.<; There's a lot of tile edits as well as some generator faces that match the hero sprites (in case you wanted to keep Ralph but also wanted to use the same style all the way through the game) and sprite edits.

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 19, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Jackard posted:

Yea my initial maps were something like 75x15 or 60x15 but that didn't work as well for the above reasons.

Jesus, I wanna play your levels already.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

silversatyr posted:

My edit topic. I need to update it and add the new stuff I've done. >.<; There's a lot of tile edits as well as some generator faces that match the hero sprites (in case you wanted to keep Ralph but also wanted to use the same style all the way through the game) and sprite edits.
Oh hey, I have some of that from a community resource pack on steam. Also there are some missing tinypic images in that thread.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
I should take them out, but they're really just break lines I added in to split up parts (bar one or two images). And yeah, a few of them were added to the community DLC. There's some newer stuff that was also added to Member + packs and Re-Staff packs on RMW. (And those are just the Ace resources. I've got quite a few 2k/3 edits and the like stored away somewhere. I should find them and convert them over to Ace.)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I hit another snag. I want a hole to appear in a wall after a boss dies, but the characters can't enter it because the wall it's on does not allow movement through it. So how can I make the wall traversible? I basically just need them to step on the next tile to transport them to the next map.

I guess if all else fails I can just put a stairway and call it a day, but that's lame.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You can make the tile passable but block the space with an event, then flip a switch when the boss dies that makes that event set to Below Player, which will let them pass through it.

You can also switch tilesets once the boss dies and switch to an otherwise-identical tileset with the passability on that particular tile turned on.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

A simpler alternative is setting your transition event to Same Level and Player Touch. No need to walk on the tile for a transition.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 30, 2015

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Imo it looks better visually if the player can walk into the opening, rather than transition happening right when they touch the tile. Especially if you have some tiles over the player that they can pass under while going through the hole.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
If the tile for the opening itself is passable, setting its priority to Below should make that square walkable even if the underlying wall is normally impassable.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something. I just made a ladder of boulders and assorted random objects and climbed a wall with it, so it looks like it should work.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
Alternatively, you can make the move route that actually moves the character set them to Through, so that they can move freely through that part. You'll need to remember to turn Through off after they enter, though.

There are a few ways you could go about it and honestly, it depends on what, exactly, you want as to which will be most effective for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Seyser Koze posted:

If the tile for the opening itself is passable, setting its priority to Below should make that square walkable even if the underlying wall is normally impassable.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something. I just made a ladder of boulders and assorted random objects and climbed a wall with it, so it looks like it should work.

Could I see the code you use for this? Or just like the screenshot of your event window?

• Locked thread