Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

UmbreonMessiah posted:

People are talking about good RPGMaker games on steam but nobody's brought up Over The Moon? I can't be the only one who liked that game, can I? It was really, really good :smith:
Do you mean To The Moon or it's a different one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mordaedil posted:

The game could have done better by maybe have our introduction to the characters be Will and Kael on a mission together, in medias res, so to speak, making their escape or whatever and meeting back up together in town before calling it a night and maybe letting you go around town and talk to people who are your known neighbors instead of forcing you down an old mans toilet.

Don't kink shame.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
OFF is pretty good, if short.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Wales Grey posted:

Pfft. Where's the Gender Swapping Fetish in OFF?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Wales Grey posted:

It's just a shame it's a slog to actually play because while the game as a whole might be short, its fights sure aren't. They all drag on for far, far too long. Everything else is cool and worth seeing, for sure.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
Space Funeral is certainly a game, a game which was made with RPGmaker.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Somehow, when people have talked about having more female protagonists in games, I don't think this is what they had in mind...

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

azren posted:

Somehow, when people have talked about having more female protagonists in games, I don't think this is what they had in mind...

Look, how can I, as a man, relate to a female character unless she was a guy? And not like actual trans people, that is weird. Nope, this is the best most normal way to have a female character: random, non-consensual magical gender reassignment. Anything else would be hard to relate to.

Real talk, how many lines of text before he starts talking about his new boobs? I am thinking 3 text boxes?

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

MrAptronym posted:

Look, how can I, as a man, relate to a female character unless she was a guy? And not like actual trans people, that is weird. Nope, this is the best most normal way to have a female character: random, non-consensual magical gender reassignment. Anything else would be hard to relate to.

Real talk, how many lines of text before he starts talking about his new boobs? I am thinking 3 text boxes?

I'm going with two text boxes.

I'm thinking it'll be four text boxes before someone admonishes him for playing with his new boobs.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

CowboyAndy posted:

I'm going with two text boxes.

I'm thinking it'll be four text boxes before someone admonishes him for playing with his new boobs.

Come on, we're not playing X-Change. ...right?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Might as well crosspost from the Steam thread:

CommissarMega posted:

Bit of a silly question, but are there any good RPGMaker games on sale? I've got a hankering for some of that old-school stuff.

Alternatively- any so-bad-it's-good RPGMaker games out there? The higher the cringe factor, the better :v:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Seyser Koze posted:

The RTP has some pretty nice enemy/monster art too.

That's some lovely stuff. I meant more that I expect RTP default stuff to be the only good thing in this game, rather than the character portraits being the only good part of the RTP :) I've heard nothing but good stuff about RPG Maker. It's been a long time since I wrote any games, but if I restarted, it'd be with RPG Maker for sure.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Part 2: The mail always goes through

This is a gigantic loving update so I'm going to provide two test post links to two parts of it because other wise it would be hell for people to browse on their phones. This is probably for the best.

PART 1- http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=21153

PART 2- http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=21156

Also Granny is the best character and it's a crying shame that she isn't coming with us.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 3, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This reminds me of that lovely deviantart game that came out a while ago, which also had people swapping gender. Apparently the company responsible for the mess in the plot was called Abaddon Pharmaceuticals.
Like really? That's a bit on the nose, don't you think? What Aberrations Against Science and Nature Inc. was already taken?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Call it Mephistopheles Mooring. That's a much better devil-related name.

Also, I'm really not sure what to make of this game. poo poo looks like something I'd crap out as a test - particularly the mapping reeks of my slapdash "eh, it works, I'll make it prettier later" style, just that this game never got around to the "later" part and instead started selling it.

I don't even have to comment on the story and humor. That kind of stuff can be a lot more subjective - but this aesthetic I'd almost argue looks objectively bad. Like, there's pretty much no detailing in the rooms - at least not in any sensible degree. The interiors have that distinctive "well, I want to place X here, so I need to make the room look like Y" look that plagues many bad maps.

And these dick moves are just baffling. Is it another attempt at a joke? Is it deliberatly trolling the player? Is it genuine idiocy? The world may never know, because everything is just as plausible.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TheMcD posted:

Call it Mephistopheles Mooring. That's a much better devil-related name.

Port city Faust.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Testekill posted:

Part 2: Spiders & Insane Mailmen & non-fixed direction props OH MY!

This is a gigantic loving update so I'm going to provide two test post links to two parts of it because other wise it would be hell for people to browse on their phones. This is probably for the best.

PART 1- http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=21153

PART 2- http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=21156

Also Granny is the best character and it's a crying shame that she isn't coming with us.

Belial Bay is unironically a great name for a zone and Granny is the stand-out character in this game.

I am disappointed, the wacky gender swapped hi-jinks have been replaced with just creepy leering from NPCs. While both are objectively bad, the other is easier to make fun of.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So, since the repeatable job earns you 5 gold, and some of the end game weapons are right there, at 1500 gold... Can you cheese the gently caress out of this terrible game? :v:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

So, since the repeatable job earns you 5 gold, and some of the end game weapons are right there, at 1500 gold... Can you cheese the gently caress out of this terrible game? :v:

Yeah, you just have to repeat the same action 300 times

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Testekill posted:

Yeah, you just have to repeat the same action 300 times

Autoit for victory!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I have RPG Maker VX something something from Humble Bundle! I can probably make games!

...if I manage to get through the interface. I almost have an artist, too!

MONEY AND BITCHES HERE I COME!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

TheMcD posted:

I don't even have to comment on the story and humor. That kind of stuff can be a lot more subjective - but this aesthetic I'd almost argue looks objectively bad. Like, there's pretty much no detailing in the rooms - at least not in any sensible degree. The interiors have that distinctive "well, I want to place X here, so I need to make the room look like Y" look that plagues many bad maps.
The jokes seem lifted kind out of context for why they were funny straight out of some older anime I saw as a teenager. Gender swapping is a good example of it, it is like they saw a bit of Ranma ½, but struggled with understanding why the transformations were contextually funny as they were presented and just inserted them wholly cut from any explanation or humorous context. That whole scene with the misunderstanding also seems lifted from somewhere I've seen before too, but I cannot recall from what.

TheMcD posted:

And these dick moves are just baffling. Is it another attempt at a joke? Is it deliberatly trolling the player? Is it genuine idiocy? The world may never know, because everything is just as plausible.
Older games used to experiment a lot with unwinnable scenarios, but usually they would also have a mechanic that informed the player that their loss was outside of their control, I think there were a few of these even in Chrono Trigger.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I can think of a couple in Chrono Trigger that are supposed to be unwinnable (first Golem fight, first Lavos encounter) but I also know for a fact that you can totally win them. You really have to be on New Game + to beat Lavos but it's technically winnable and I think it goes to the second and third phase as per usual. Winning the Golem fight doesn't make any difference, though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
For the Lavos fight, you even get a special ending. Heck, the game has what, 13 unique endings depending on when and how you kick Lavos' rear end, doesn't it?

I think there was some other battle where you just get immediately knocked out an arrested or am I thinking of a different thing?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
While an unwinnable battle is poo poo, at least he's mitigating the poo poo with the knockout. It is so much worse when it's an unwinnable battle that continues endlessly, allowing you to burn items and beat your head against the wall until you finally lose and realize you were supposed to the whole time.

Basically, it sucks that the game designer slaps you in the face, but at least he's not actively stabbing you! :v:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

While an unwinnable battle is poo poo, at least he's mitigating the poo poo with the knockout. It is so much worse when it's an unwinnable battle that continues endlessly, allowing you to burn items and beat your head against the wall until you finally lose and realize you were supposed to the whole time.

Basically, it sucks that the game designer slaps you in the face, but at least he's not actively stabbing you! :v:

That would have actually happened if I could actually use food and drink in battle.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Captain Bravo posted:

Unwinnable battles really should be well telegraphed or have the sort of "Monster hits for 999999 on turn 3" thing to keep you from wasting resources.

I think Skies of Arkadia had the biggest "gently caress you" type ones I've found, complete with giving you the option to surrender, punishing you if you immediately took it, then of course you get an unwinnable battle that ends in a game over if you don't accept it on a "Are you sure?" type option.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
One of the games I currently play only have you actually enter combat when you are competing in the arena, as otherwise you are either so powerful, that you can kick everyone's rear end, or the enemy is just so much stronger than you that you just automatically lose and you just drop out in dialogue with a few flashes on the screen.

I feel that is a better way to handle it, setting combat aside like that for when the outcome is story-driven.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

The jokes seem lifted kind out of context for why they were funny straight out of some older anime I saw as a teenager. Gender swapping is a good example of it, it is like they saw a bit of Ranma ½, but struggled with understanding why the transformations were contextually funny as they were presented and just inserted them wholly cut from any explanation or humorous context. That whole scene with the misunderstanding also seems lifted from somewhere I've seen before too, but I cannot recall from what.

The misunderstanding at least lends itself better because the game initiates a battle in earnest. So here it's at least grounded in game mechanics, I thought it was kinda funny, if clumsily executed.

The gender-swapping is out there though. Dude became a chick! Isn't that HI-LARIOUS!? :geno:

Speaking of, our hero has adjusted to his curse remarkably well.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

As for why the title and battle backgrounds suck so much, it looks like this was made on RPG Maker VX, and not RPG Maker VX Ace.

Ace added a whole bunch of extra features that were removed from XP -> VX, and a whole bunch of battle backgrounds and things like it. It's no excuse as to why he never used some of the free resources from the internet-- but whatever.

I really would like to release an RPG with RPG maker sometime, but once you're at the point where you're replacing everything it just feels better to switch to unity or something.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

SystemLogoff posted:

As for why the title and battle backgrounds suck so much, it looks like this was made on RPG Maker VX, and not RPG Maker VX Ace.

Ace added a whole bunch of extra features that were removed from XP -> VX, and a whole bunch of battle backgrounds and things like it. It's no excuse as to why he never used some of the free resources from the internet-- but whatever.

I really would like to release an RPG with RPG maker sometime, but once you're at the point where you're replacing everything it just feels better to switch to unity or something.

I usually get discouraged around when I mess with the hardcoded stuff and it doesn't behave like I wished for that specific project.

Ren'Py is actually a better RPG toolkit in that way.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It gets worse :neckbeard:

The roofs bug me a lot. Like here:

It just looks wrong. That roof tile is supposed to be the part of a /\ shaped roof that's facing the player, but they're using it as if it's lying flat on top of the building. And I'm sure there are tiles better suited to that f that's the image they want, but... I'm not even sure.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
A flat roof that folds into itself is, well... Did someone call R'lyeh Masonry?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

For that first dungeon he literally just used the Random Dungeon Generator tool and threw a few extra decorations in there!

He didn't even change it off the default texture choices :argh:

vilkacis posted:

The roofs bug me a lot. Like here:
It just looks wrong. That roof tile is supposed to be the part of a /\ shaped roof that's facing the player, but they're using it as if it's lying flat on top of the building. And I'm sure there are tiles better suited to that f that's the image they want, but... I'm not even sure.

There are a handful of roofs suitable for a not-square building in VX Ace, but I don't know if they're not in original VX, but you have to actually piece them together and not just draw a rectangle and call it a day

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
So how did a game this awfully half-assed manage to get onto Steam? Was it during a time when the standards were more lax?

I was a little curious about how it played when I first saw it on there. I'm not so curious anymore.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Shark Tower posted:

So how did a game this awfully half-assed manage to get onto Steam? Was it during a time when the standards were more lax?
Standards have practically been non-existent ever since the inauguration of Steam Greenlight.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

Standards have practically been non-existent ever since the inauguration of Steam Greenlight.

A wonderful insight into the world of Greenlight:
https://twitter.com/greenlightgold

azren
Feb 14, 2011

This thread caused me to look into the demo for VX Ace, or whatever the newest one is, and I gotta say, I'm feeling really intimidated just looking at the thing. I had the realization that I have no idea how to do this whole "game balance" thing, and the whole event scripting thing is terrifying.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

azren posted:

This thread caused me to look into the demo for VX Ace, or whatever the newest one is, and I gotta say, I'm feeling really intimidated just looking at the thing. I had the realization that I have no idea how to do this whole "game balance" thing, and the whole event scripting thing is terrifying.

Oh, believe me. I own the full thing...cost me a pretty penny. Took me about 4 hours to fix the combat, to where I wasn't over or underpowered, turns out, X2 strength, in the data means DIVIDE BY 2. My god, is this whole thing harder than I thought, and I knew for fact not to use the RTP for the characters, and jumped right into the character creator to create unique NPCs, and PCs.

Also, for events, I've noticed "Conditional Switch" is a great thing to make sure people to skip important things, and a good way to activate events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

azren posted:

That's the same reason why I installed my version, looked one and ran away.

But if you can sell stuff on steam and almost make money from, I'll take another look! Maybe in a few years, someone will make an LP to rip my game a new one...

• Locked thread