Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Dabir posted:

I can think of a couple in Chrono Trigger that are supposed to be unwinnable (first Golem fight, first Lavos encounter) but I also know for a fact that you can totally win them. You really have to be on New Game + to beat Lavos but it's technically winnable and I think it goes to the second and third phase as per usual. Winning the Golem fight doesn't make any difference, though.

Funny thing is, for the first golem fight I never realized that you were supposed to lose that fight until I saw the LP show it off. Though that's more due to me having an itchy trigger finger on loading my save-state to before the fight after wipes when I first did it. Never saw that there was a cutscene after going down, and after a few tries figured out a tactic to take them down. Was quite satisfying.

On the topic of this game/RPG-maker stuff, yeah this looks like a hilarious disaster. The default portraits and art assets look quite nice actually though, my only problem with them is trying to play more than one RPG-maker game and recognizing the same portrait used elsewhere. Love those monster designs that the other poster showed us though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
This game is a gigantic clusterfuck of awful. How did this get on Steam?

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

UmbreonMessiah posted:

As said before, Quality Control went out with the Greenlight.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The game sucks, obviously, but I like that it starts out in desertland instead of generic Fantasy Europe, if absolutely nothing else.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I kept seeing this game show up in sales and while I wasn't interested I thought some of it looked okay... But that's because I didn't know the game's assets were RTP defaults! This entire "game" is a tribute to the :effort: smilie.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Well through the power of Enhanced Steam I gathered that this game was greenlit, but sreaching through Greenlight turns up nothing as the Greenlight page got removed by the author; and this game was apart of three different bundles. (Two of which sold for around a dollar.) Also this game went on sale as low as $0.59/0.75/0.92USD! So really, the only reason this game moved units and got on Steam was because it sold itself for pennies on the dollar or in some cases according to some reviews FREE.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

UmbreonMessiah posted:

The magic of being a greenlight game in a bundle. Generally speaking if a game is waiting to be greenlit and is released in a bundle then about 75% of the time it's going to get enough votes to get onto Steam. Because, I dunno, people don't care if a game going onto steam is good as long as they have it.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Testekill posted:

The magic of being a greenlight game in a bundle. Generally speaking if a game is waiting to be greenlit and is released in a bundle then about 75% of the time it's going to get enough votes to get onto Steam. Because, I dunno, people don't care if a game going onto steam is good as long as they have it.

People will greenlight ANYTHING, like that 20% finished game about airplanes made by some Azerbaijani who can't even speak English.

It's like some low run of CS Banana in there, but with people who imagine they can make games instead of CS skins.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

JcDent posted:

People will greenlight ANYTHING, like that 20% finished game about airplanes made by some Azerbaijani who can't even speak English.

It's like some low run of CS Banana in there, but with people who imagine they can make games instead of CS skins.

Has this been different in the past? My experiences with Greenlight have been mostly in the form of "hey, we're the developers of this awesome old game and we want to sell it on Steam, but we need to go through this poo poo first because Valve axed the regular process" and it never seemed to actually go through.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Icedude posted:

For that first dungeon he literally just used the Random Dungeon Generator tool and threw a few extra decorations in there!

He didn't even change it off the default texture choices :argh:

I'm not quite sure that he used the random dungeon generator. The layout is pretty deliberate so I'd bet that he filled everything in with the wall texture and then draw a path using the floor texture. It's also over multiple screens while the dungeon generator seems to create one big one from what I recall.

One positive is that the random encounter rate seems really low. But that just makes the next update confusing.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 29, 2014

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Testekill posted:

I'm not quite sure that he used the random dungeon generator. The layout is pretty deliberate so I'd bet that he filled everything in with the wall texture and then draw a path using the floor texture. It's also over multiple screens while the dungeon generator seems to create one big one from what I recall.

One positive is that the random encounter rate seems really low. But that just makes the next update confusing.

He managed that, at the very least. I'm still stuck drawing "overworld" and placing castles and mountains left and right.

TheMcD posted:

Has this been different in the past? My experiences with Greenlight have been mostly in the form of "hey, we're the developers of this awesome old game and we want to sell it on Steam, but we need to go through this poo poo first because Valve axed the regular process" and it never seemed to actually go through.

I... really can't say. IT's still voting based, sure. And people are still submiting Stupid poo poo (the guy paid money to get in Greenlight). Then people vote. And, in some cases, vote bad. I guess folks really have no taste on the internet.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Man I've been working on an RPG Maker game for a few months now and this is just enraging as someone who's learning pixel art and RPG maker from scratch all at once to see this level of bullshit.

Steam has suggested this to me on several occasions but I've never bought it. I guess at least it's not another goddamned Yume Nikki clone.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Travis343 posted:

Man I've been working on an RPG Maker game for a few months now and this is just enraging as someone who's learning pixel art and RPG maker from scratch all at once to see this level of bullshit.

Steam has suggested this to me on several occasions but I've never bought it. I guess at least it's not another goddamned Yume Nikki clone.

I've been making a game for the past 2 years. It's been scrapped....maybe 3 times, and started from scratch twice.
Also, to people asking for good RPG Maker games, it's not the best, but Feral Dreams by Kelarly, it's also free, unlike this, granted, it uses I think a few battle scripts.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I forgot to mention this the other day but if you want to suffer with me then Victim of Xen is on sale for 2.25 for the next 30 hours. Who knows, maybe you'll actually enjoy it or something like that.

EDIT:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197976688119/recommended/300220/

Also, the dev kinda being a bit of a baby.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 1, 2014

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Testekill posted:

Hahaha of course.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Couldn't resist.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
To be fair, you can do some nice stuff with the default materials, but you have to put effort and time into it (as with anything of quality) - something that this game developer did not do in any way, shape or form. Knowing the engine and materials as well as I do, the creator has done the absolute bare minimum in actually creating a game. I'm actually quite shocked to see that they renamed the healing items (a very clear sign of newbism when it comes to game creation).

Now, that said, it's not the worst RPG Maker game I've ever seen (I have seen a lot of RM games - Hello, Megaman GX and Block Land) but it is one of the worst ones that is for sale that I have had the 'pleasure' of seeing.

I am enjoying your commentary so far though. You've brought up a lot of valid points about game design that a lot of people tend to skip over (you'd be shocked how many people create never-ending non-winnable battles in their RPGs - there was one game I spent almost an hour on a particular fight because it wasn't clear that you should lose. I used all my items and when I finally died and realised that you couldn't win that battle? Restart. No way I was gonna continue without my goods just because the creator made the enemy 'secretly' heal 9999 each turn (with no indicator of it happening) while not making the enemy strong enough to take me out straight away (or near to).)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
You had me at "RTP Everywhere"

I used to do this poo poo around the time of RMXP so this is really funny to me

About the story... Aside from what the others mentioned and despite his total lack of effort , he managed to lay the groundwork for what could have been a decent plot hook before drifting into pointless fetish land.

You have a dumb kid running odd jobs in a remote border town... he wants to get out, travel the world. When the evil kingdom comes to gather men for their army, he's the only willing recruit. His grandmother knows this is moronic and tells him off. In the end he ends up going and there's a bunch of ways to have him realize what a mistake that was. Yea, you could totally make a story out of this.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's the point: most RPG maker games, hell RPG maker itself, are simply perpetuating the clichés: nothing original will happen because JRPG fans simply like it this way. They're all trying to emulate their favorite SNES-era plots, nothing more.
There's the odd exception here and there like Last Scenario but this is what what RPG maker games usually boil down to. Basically, I doubt the authors are even interested in making a good story.

edit: VVV Well, I did provide a fairly trackable link.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 1, 2014

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Testekill posted:

How long do you figure until he (she?) finds out about this thread and makes an account to gripe at us?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

That's the point: most RPG maker games, hell RPG maker itself, are simply perpetuating the clichés: nothing original will happen because JRPG fans simply like it this way. They're all trying to emulate their favorite SNES-era plots, nothing more.

The reason for this is usually because they start writing these games with one or two "good ideas" in mind, plot their entire plot around it and they have no idea on how to get there, or get the player there, so they go back to what they know; borrowed plots from old games they played before.

It's not always a bad idea, it just becomes really painfully obvious when they have nothing else going in their favor.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, JRPGs are, when you get down to it, stories just delivered in a certain format. Unlike other formats, a la books and movies, there's no editors or revising going when a lot of these hit the market. Not to mention, unlike a book, the sole focus isn't the writing either, so it easily gets blogged down and ignored in favor of other things. Thus, RPGs are pretty easy to gently caress up since there's a lot of parts and not everything will necessarily get due attention.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

The transformation thing is especially stupid because the witch is explicitly there to conscript all able-bodied men, like she's really going to pass up these two idiots.

If you were writing that sort of thing it'd make more sense for the curse to be self-inflicted. The grandmother is a witch and the kid sneaks one of her potions to dodge the draft. He gets bitched out for being cowardly and goes off to rescue his friends/neighbors.

Bam, two different stories so far, right there.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 1, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Aaaagh now I want to make a lovely rpg

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Make sure to include your fetish of choice, a bunch of references only goons would get, and needlessly difficult but bland and generally mediocre battle system and you too can be LP'd.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget to have names that subtly hint at hidden meanings, like the Kingdom of Oppress.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Don't forget to give enemy groups that party-wide default paralysis skill that can and will always lead to game overs!

Seriously, so many games use that skill for their enemies, it hurts.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

anilEhilated posted:

Don't forget to have names that subtly hint at hidden meanings, like the Kingdom of Oppress.

I'm sure that mostly-benevolent land was just named after the programmer's favorite Star Wars character.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Jackard posted:

I do that every day, it's just my giant catalogue of 50 barely started projects that keeps me from starting another one.

You really don't want to see my NWN module folder though. I once tried to apply Pokémon to arcane magic. The result was a bunch of scripts that don't mesh well with the non-turnbased nature of that game.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Jackard posted:

Thanks to this thread I am actively starting one, probably will never finish it, probably won't be using RPGmaker, but still making one.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

RPGs, at least the Dragon Quest style RPG, is actually one of the easier things to code. Everything runs on a grid in the overworld, battle systems are neat and tidy, and quests just come down to a series of flags. It'd be an excellent final project for even a starter programming class to get a short fifteen minute RPG made. I mean, hey, if you're going to start making a lovely game, RPGs are a good place to start.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So, folks, did you know being transformed into a butterfly promotes trans-issues?
I sure didn't.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Ramos posted:

RPGs, at least the Dragon Quest style RPG, is actually one of the easier things to code. Everything runs on a grid in the overworld, battle systems are neat and tidy, and quests just come down to a series of flags. It'd be an excellent final project for even a starter programming class to get a short fifteen minute RPG made. I mean, hey, if you're going to start making a lovely game, RPGs are a good place to start.

I'm using RPG Maker VX ace..but keeping things mostly base, as I don't really understand Ruby Scripts. I've spent over 12 hours just in the database fine tuning formulas for damage though.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I'm not sure how complex RPG Maker Ruby Script files are, but Ruby itself is one of the easier programming languages to start with.

Seriously, easy tutorial right here. That should at least start you with working on your own simple scripts. The more difficult part of working with already created scripts is figuring out what all of the moving parts do. That's just going to take time and tinkering if there isn't any useful documentation at the ready.

Still, don't be afraid to explore all of what a development tool can do, it'll save the issue of being X hours down the line and then run into something you can't deal with.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
You probably need to learn at least some scripting if you really want to get anywhere with the latest versions of rpg maker. Enterbrain, being the genius company that they are, culled a lot of features that were available in previous renditions of rpg maker, actually making it harder to do certain things compared to doing it in older versions.

Some of the stuff removed makes no sense either. Like in previous rpg makers, you could set an event to do stuff depending on whether a number was equal to X, less than X, more than X, etc. With the current one, the only condition you can set is if a number is higher than X. Not if it's just X, not if it's less than X. Just X and above. If you want the other conditions, well you still can if you put in a little extra work. But that's just it. They made it MORE difficult to accomplish something that wasn't as convoluted in previous versions. Seriously who's bright idea was that?

Still, if you do know scripting, you can do some pretty grand things with the engine. Great community support too. Hell, even if all you know is how to copy-paste scripts into your game that other people have made publicly available, that's already enough to put you miles ahead of Victim of Xen.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

What version would you recommend? What about the renpy program someone mentioned earlier? Seeing these people do such a terrible job is giving me an itch.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Jackard posted:

What version would you recommend? What about the renpy program someone mentioned earlier? Seeing these people do such a terrible job is giving me an itch.

IIRC Ren'py is for Visual Novels. Which have their own brand of terrible :unsmigghh:

This is my Bad Rats if you are unfortunate enough to be on my Steam friends list

SECOND EDIT: RPG Maker VXA is on sale on Steam!

VV It's free too!

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 1, 2014

azren
Feb 14, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

IIRC Ren'py is for Visual Novels. Which have their own brand of terrible :unsmigghh:

Wait, create your own VN? Oh dear, I'm not gonna leave my house for a while, am I? Time to learn programming and make lovely games, guys! This can only end in greatness!

azren fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 1, 2014

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
My time with RPG Maker was weird. It's a lot of fun to mess around with, but I spent like 4 months arseing about with Ruby and never got any actual game making done. In that I have to admit this guy has me beat, at least he made something.

Though what he made was not very good. So I guess it's a wash. It'd be forgiveable if he wasn't charging money for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Ramos posted:

Unlike other formats, a la books and movies, there's no editors or revising going when a lot of these hit the market.

Hey now, books have their troubles too.

• Locked thread