Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

ruby idiot railed posted:

No, they said revenue was up by 2%, but costs were still increasing faster than that.

It doesn't help that such dialogue is coupled with i) college students seemingly running the rides, or ii) privately-funded research into certain exhibits like the raptor pen; it doesn't show what it tells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Saw the movie, what a waste of time. And I loved JP, it felt to me as watching the Simpsons from now, the same idea but awfully executed.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I was expecting it to be really lovely but instead found it to be fun summer fare. They were obviously looking for heavy doses of Nostalgia and by and large I thought they pulled it off. Even when it was cheezy, and it often was, I still found it satisfying.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dantu posted:

I was expecting it to be really lovely but instead found it to be fun summer fare. They were obviously looking for heavy doses of Nostalgia and by and large I thought they pulled it off. Even when it was cheezy, and it often was, I still found it satisfying.

Did he fall into a bowl of cheerios or cheerios-like cereal while shrunk down? This I need to know.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Drifter posted:

Did he fall into a bowl of cheerios or cheerios-like cereal while shrunk down? This I need to know.

Yes. This happened to T Rex.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

ruby idiot railed posted:

The people who paid thousands of dollars to get on the island and look at dinosaurs of course they're going to be happy. Even then you've got the bored older brother, and then the gyrosphere ride operator just doesn't give any fucks, etc.

To be fair on the older brother he cheers up when he sees the megasaurus or whatever the water dino is called.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dantu posted:

Yes. This happened to T Rex.

Well...Ooops. My comment was very clearly meant to be in a different thread. But I would have enjoyed JW more had my comment been relevant here, as well, I think.

Back to Ant-Man.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

ShineDog posted:

Thats very different in terms of feel and tone to being suddenly grabbed and fought over for a minute with the camera right in her face showing her reaction to the whole thing, like, the kids don't even give a poo poo.
The assistant is tossed from mouth to mouth for just over 40 seconds before being eaten. Eleven seconds passes between the time Eddie Carr is picked up by the TRex and the definitive death crunch.

I didn't really like JW the first time I saw it. I couldn't get over the illogical actions of the human characters. The second time I saw it, my wife and I went to a 10PM showing with some friends. My wife had never seen any of the other original trilogy (she did remember playing the theme song on trumpet in marching band in high school). She objected to seeing such a late movie, but she actually enjoyed the movie and never felt sleepy. She did immediately ask me if she missed a scene explaining more about the boys' parents divorce. She also said the older boy should have been the one to receive an terrorizing death scene.

I liked the ending the first time I saw it, but it was even better the second time. The ending of JW was loving awesome, probably my second favorite movie ending ever (after The Mist).

These may not be the best ways to rate a movie, but whatever.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I saw it again today because I'm out of town and coworkers wanted to go see it. Picked up on a few things most notably the raptor jumping from the I-Rex unto the T-Rex, waiting for an opening while riding the T-Rex, then jumping back on I-Rex because holy gently caress they just decided to do a fun fight regardless of logic or reason.

The final fight felt much shorter this time around. Before the raptor shows up the T-Rex got taken down almost immediately and after that the fight towards the water edge was maybe 15 seconds total.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I think this is a movie that's much better the second time through, if only because the dumb is already out of the way and you can just enjoy the awesome moments interspersed. Not that I think this is going to be remembered as a masterpiece in the future, though, or even reevaluated to deem it better than its initial reception. Serviceable once you stop comparing it to the original.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Jurassic Park V just announced for June 22, 2018

Chris Pratt and BDH to return. Trevor & Connelly writing the script.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/jurassic-world-sequel-to-hit-theaters-in-2018-1201547139/

So Exciting!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I hope it's a 3 hour long legal procedural as everyone is sued to oblivion.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the best part of this movie was when the guy says "wanna see something cool ??" and it cuts to an ad shot of the pristine car in the jungle. that was the best part

oddium fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 23, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I think my favorite line in JW was "Well, that's a first". Given what was happening, it was pretty perfect.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
After three park failures I think thats setting another movie on Isla Sorna or Isla Nublar is unlikely. The only reasonable excuse to go back to the islands would be some sort of ship or plane wreck situation strands a new cast on the dinosaur island.

Off island, the only two possibilities I can see are:

1. A nature preserve is hosting a bunch of dinosaurs that made it onto the mainland or taking care of dinosaurs that got moved from Isla Sorna because it was abandoned. Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard are working there because they have dinosaur expertise, but things go wrong and the dinosaurs run all over some American city.

2. Dinosaurs are being used to fight some war somewhere and Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard are brought in to help for some reason like in Tremors 2.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm hesitant to count JW as a park failure, and the reason things went south was entirely human error and stupidity. The park model works, and it worked for a decade without incident. There's money to be made, which means sooner or later someone is going to do it.

I'm not saying I want the next movie to be about a functional park all over again, but I don't want the park setting to be dead and buried forever.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Jurassic Park V just announced for June 22, 2018

Chris Pratt and BDH to return. Trevor & Connelly writing the script.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/jurassic-world-sequel-to-hit-theaters-in-2018-1201547139/

So Exciting!

Jurassic Galaxy tentative title.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Proposition Joe posted:

After three park failures I think thats setting another movie on Isla Sorna or Isla Nublar is unlikely. The only reasonable excuse to go back to the islands would be some sort of ship or plane wreck situation strands a new cast on the dinosaur island.

Off island, the only two possibilities I can see are:

1. A nature preserve is hosting a bunch of dinosaurs that made it onto the mainland or taking care of dinosaurs that got moved from Isla Sorna because it was abandoned. Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard are working there because they have dinosaur expertise, but things go wrong and the dinosaurs run all over some American city.

2. Dinosaurs are being used to fight some war somewhere and Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard are brought in to help for some reason like in Tremors 2.

I was thinking #2 since Wu got away in his Wucopter with the military embryos. Jurassic WorldPark will subsequently follow the plot of Aliens (but in a warzone).

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
That is infinitely more likely but I think that Universal is making a mistake by going with the more ridiculous premise rather than just going with the more natural evolution of turning the Jurassic Park franchise into kaiju movies.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

if you haven't played the lego jurassic world movie yet, you should

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

teagone posted:

Jurassic Galaxy tentative title.

With Chris Pratt playing Star-Lord.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

weird toppings guy posted:

if you haven't played the lego jurassic world movie yet, you should

Or if you hate the gameplay in those games just watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH4lEQqJnEo

It's pretty good so far.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I finally saw this and enjoyed it. The first movie is easily the best, but things get more complicated when ranking the sequels. I remember Lost World being much more suspenseful, but the gymnastics vs. raptors was a much lower point than anything in Jurassic World.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ghostwritingduck posted:

I finally saw this and enjoyed it. The first movie is easily the best, but things get more complicated when ranking the sequels. I remember Lost World being much more suspenseful, but the gymnastics vs. raptors was a much lower point than anything in Jurassic World.
It has the best actor in the series

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

zero suspense, some good comedic moments, don't regret seeing it, won't watch it again

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Jurassic World is currently at $643M domestic and it needs just $15M to knock out Titanic in the U.S.

I hope it does because gently caress James Cameron's obnoxious fanbase. :munch:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Immortan posted:

Jurassic World is currently at $643M domestic and it needs just $15M to knock out Titanic in the U.S.

To be honest, does he really have that much of a "fanbase"? Like yeah Avatar became a cultural phenomenon for a good while, but that was like 2009. Cameron is nowhere near as prolific a director as, say, Spielberg.
poo poo, I actually haven't even seen Avatar yet. I do really like Cameron's other movies a whole lot, though (even 'Titanic').

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Holy poo poo just watched this, holy poo poo. That ending was 100% fan service and I loved it. loving up that spino skeleton, the flare pose in front of the paddock.

God I loved this movie, seeing the park running was as satisfying as I thought it'd be.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Immortan posted:

Titanic was a better movie tho.

I mean I didn't hate JW but it's basically okay. Acceptable.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
That reminds me. I still to this day, have yet to watch all of Jurassic Park 3. I think I got to the scene where some kid is throwing T-rex piss at the raptors or something and stopped watching for reasons I can't remember.

Haven't been able to work up the urge to either buy it or rent it somewhere and it hasn't been on any free streaming services, so I just ignored it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Jurassic Park 3 is fine if all you want is a running with dinosaurs movie. That's about all you can reasonably get out of it. There are tons of worse movies out there but it brings nothing new to the table.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The scene in the "bird cage" was pretty cool. You can find that scene on YouTube and that would suffice.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Alan.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 34 hours!)

blackguy32 posted:

That reminds me. I still to this day, have yet to watch all of Jurassic Park 3. I think I got to the scene where some kid is throwing T-rex piss at the raptors or something and stopped watching for reasons I can't remember.

Haven't been able to work up the urge to either buy it or rent it somewhere and it hasn't been on any free streaming services, so I just ignored it.

That means you missed the ending where grant talks to the raptors and the raptors let them go.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Maxwell Lord posted:

Titanic was a better movie tho.

I mean I didn't hate JW but it's basically okay. Acceptable.
To ensure a better movie, next one should be about the cruise ship Jurassic and it's ill-fated maiden voyage.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I was planning to come back to this thread after I saw the movie, but being in the middle of an archaeology field school delayed that by almost a month and after that I just sort of forgot. Then today I go and clean up my desk just now and hey, a little set of notes I doodled at work the day after I saw it. So now I've read 40 pages of chat on the poor secretary and Eddie Carr and I guess I can post an abridged version of it because why the hell not.
I should stress a few things about this little list: I am very bad at film analysis. These are mostly just things that came to mind and made me think, 'oh, that's funny/interesting to me.' I still don't know what to think of the film as a whole; I walked into this hoping for the best and preparing for the worst while also being juuust self-aware enough to know that I've got enough nostalgia for the franchise to skew the hell out of my judgement. It also has some repetitive elements, since it was mostly stream of thought scribbles.

-Pratt makes fun of Howard for not understanding dinosaurs or showing any practical competence. Then he fails to understand his own dinosaurs until the very last minute. Meanwhile, Howard ad-libs the T-rex into the finale by using the flare that signals its brunch.
-In the same scene as Pratt mocks a woman's shoes, there's a close look at the (female) I-rex's enormous footprints. His disdain for a choice of footwear is nitpicking over the fact that he doesn't actually get that feet are considerably more important. His feet ain't poo poo.
-The guns fail and the plans fail and the tracking devices fail and all the technologies fail, fail, fail like always for the same reasons in the franchise: people are so busy trying to feel a sense of control that they can't admit that they've lost it. Letting the T-rex out and removing the camera from the raptor are honest admissions of failure and a willingness to just see what happens if you throw the world back at the world.
-The T-rex has no social attachments to malfunction. The raptors have a (groomed, but existing) family unit, which makes them susceptible to fuckery but also ties them together, just like the humans. The I-rex has the downsides of both with neither upside.
-Hammond makes the argument in the first book that cloning dinosaurs is too expensive and frivolous to ever be used for anything but entertainment. The military-industrial complex's involvement in Jurassic World (I don't think I like how it was patched in, for the record) is a reunited long-lost twin: both are inherently mundane in their goals despite their flashiness, selfish in execution despite any purported altruistic purposes, and they reduce their components to something less than themselves. Franchise-wise, the problem was never the security. It was the enterprise.
-The aftermath of the ending fight shows two parallel but unrelated thought processes. The raptor sees something it doesn't have a reason to fight. The T-rex sees something that isn't challenging it. There's communication, even communication that can be interpreted anthropomorphically, but not necessarily so.
-The kid who discovered his parents were divorcing was the first one to see that the events of the end of the film were hopelessly out of the adults' ability to solve or control. He also realized that the solution was to admit this and seek rex/intervention from outside the raptors/family unit.
-In relation, the family unit only protected its vulnerable members/human because Chris Pratt admitted that his original relationship with it was unhealthy and unequal, and that cohesive families rely on trust, not control.
-This is significant because of all the human cast members Chris Pratt has to admit his own complete helplessness the hardest and fastest - the kids are kids, and the escalating crisis is a direct and insistent challenge to Howard's worldview, but Pratt doesn't have his identity tied up in the park functioning smoothly, just in his relationship with the raptors. This then gets demolished very quickly: he has his 'alpha' status mocked and usurped by first his boss and then the I-rex within mere minutes of each other, interspersed with an fleeting attempt to feel 'badass.' Trying to be the boss got him nothing but grief.

Thoughts not directly taken from the above months-old-notes:
I definitely think Howard got the short end of the stick re: high heel-related shenanigans and the nasty characterization overlap (intentional or not) of 'corporate executives are aloof and cold' with 'wimmin who ain't want babies is fukt up.'
I was very happy to see the socialization discussion from all those months ago as a major plot point. The movie's more sensationalist than ever, but it's nice that there was an explanation for the I-rex's and raptors' behaviour bigger than 'it's evil' that was also majorly plot-relevant.
I was very surprised and also very happy with Wu's little speech about artificiality, even if it sort of dis-harmonizes with the above 'these things aren't just monsters' message by giving the film an out via 'but hey they never were real animals.' Then again, it's also coming from someone who appears to be entirely on the opposite side of the fence from every single other character in the franchise. Given that there was so little Wu I wish there'd been more of him in that role and less participation in sequel hook shenanigans; he sort of came off as an anti-Malcolm to me: the guy who makes weird quasi-philosophical arguments FOR the park's existence. Park advocates in the rest of the franchise are either greedy or starry-eyed, this seemed more novel.
It's really interesting to me that the T-rex's finale entrance in Jurassic Park is entirely out of nowhere but nobody minds it besides a few scattered neurotics trying to figure out where the door is, despite the fact that Spielberg basically put it in because 'our T-rex is amazing and the audience should see it one more time.' Her Jurassic World introduction, by contrast, makes in-story sense the entire way: the human characters deliberately lure a foreshadowed, nearby, territorial and aggressive animal over to a prospective rival using its meal signal. But since we're viewing it in the franchise's context, it feels more artificial than the first film's encounter, despite that being a straight-up deus ex machina.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 17, 2015

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
piss dumb movie but everything involving the trex at the end super owned

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I love that the movie sat there screaming https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nz8YrCC9X8 over and over.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Elfgames posted:

I love that the movie sat there screaming https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nz8YrCC9X8 over and over.

I would watch this scene for 3 hours over watching jurassic world again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Never saw this when it came out and it's on in a couple of London cinemas today and tomorrow... not in 3D though. Definitely torn as to whether to see it, especially as it seems like it'd be a lot more fun in 3D. Should've caught it at the BFI Imax when it came out damnit!

• Locked thread