Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I bought a tm4c launchpad board last night. 20 bucks and a cortex m4 and a zillion peripherals n poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

at my last job I got the go ahead to get a Freescale k60 going from scratch with a minimal tool chain, so I could learn

I took the k60 programming reference and arm-none-eabi-gcc and made my own linker script and startup code that did things like initialize static variables and set up the multipurpose clock generator and stuff

it's a good learning experience that teaches you why C is kind of a mess. when you are writing code you have to think about the hardware, the linker, the syntax, and your own code domain, standard libraries that may or may not actually be doing what you think

I did a minimal amount of googling to force myself to really learn how to find answers for my weird questions

10/10 would recommend, I am now a mild embedded wizard

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

in my dumb opinion it's okay to waste cycles on simple applications in projects that don't need to scale or multi task much. get something done. optimize when it's time. structure your code base well so you can refactor your inefficiencies later

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mido posted:

in my dumb opinion it's okay to waste cycles on simple applications in projects that don't need to scale or multi task much. get something done. optimize when it's time. structure your code base well so you can refactor your inefficiencies later

Epic thissery. The field owns though when you find yourself optimizing stack usage to save individual bytes because it means writing out to flash slightly less frequently and now you can meet or exceed your power requirements etc etc. Desktop software is like you're an artist with an arbitrarily large canvass and you have so much freedom and room for activities that your constraints wind up largely self imposed but on a lil microcontroller it's like you have the back of a postcard to get as much done as possible Idk I'm bad at analogies good night yospos

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
I messed around with FPGAs a little in college and thought they were really cool and I want to get back into them. Can anyone recommend a decent breadboard?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I watched highly skilled engineers lose their loving minds over optimizing the gently caress out of things we didn't even really need

I just wrote a huge rambling essay about some architecture horrors I lived through during my time in embedded but decided to summarize it as follows

"if you have too many things going on for a cooperatively multi tasked series of services to work reliably, you should drop an actual RTOS on there and move on. do not make your own."

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

I messed around with FPGAs a little in college and thought they were really cool and I want to get back into them. Can anyone recommend a decent breadboard?

Yeah but only if by decent you mean expensive and horribly complex

Or at least expensive

Actually I'm not sure if it's expensive but the igloo nano dev kit is pretty cute and painless. Digilent (I think?) makes some decent educational stuff too iirc

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Mido posted:

I watched highly skilled engineers lose their loving minds over optimizing the gently caress out of things we didn't even really need

I just wrote a huge rambling essay about some architecture horrors I lived through during my time in embedded but decided to summarize it as follows

"if you have too many things going on for a cooperatively multi tasked series of services to work reliably, you should drop an actual RTOS on there and move on. do not make your own."

i read this and i think: faaaaaaart
just run x86 on it and be the fastest because that is how the real world works.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

kwinkles posted:

I was talking about software project and dependency structuring not the on die architecture :3:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

kwinkles posted:

RIP power budget

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

are there x86 core MCUs that have the same kind of features as say a Kinetis K60 series? I've never looked

the Kinetis is a monster with a fuckload of peripherals and gating options for power consumption and a pretty good cross bar thing that reduces contention when peripherals are doing DMA

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bloody posted:

Yeah but only if by decent you mean expensive and horribly complex

Or at least expensive

Actually I'm not sure if it's expensive but the igloo nano dev kit is pretty cute and painless. Digilent (I think?) makes some decent educational stuff too iirc

igloo nano is good, i'm using that dev board to prototype for real stuff

digilent makes good altera dev boards, the bemicro sdk is a good dev board as well that just plugs right into a usb plug, has a cyclone iv on it

for xilinx spartan 6s are the little ones, a kickstarter just finished for the miniSpartan which might be OK. the zynq is pretty legit, you can get get the avnet zedboard and make your own custom linux machine which is legit

all of those options are around like $100-$200 i think

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mido posted:

are there x86 core MCUs that have the same kind of features as say a Kinetis K60 series? I've never looked

the Kinetis is a monster with a fuckload of peripherals and gating options for power consumption and a pretty good cross bar thing that reduces contention when peripherals are doing DMA

the embedded stuff (atom, etc) comes closest, but even then, iirc its just multiple dies inside and the pch has all the peripherals -- x86 cores interface to any/all peripherals over pcie or dmi

one of the intel guys in the thread will probably correct me on that

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

movax posted:

the embedded stuff (atom, etc) comes closest, but even then, iirc its just multiple dies inside and the pch has all the peripherals -- x86 cores interface to any/all peripherals over pcie or dmi

one of the intel guys in the thread will probably correct me on that

i haven't really played around with it too much but i think the quark will have the old FSB architecture and the edison board that has silvermont cores will be the faster and lower power option. i know silvermont has the same IDI interface to the system agent that the big cores have now, and most of the stuff that is on-die will be hanging right off the system agent with IOSF or the intel memory requestor busses.

i know the galileo board has some of the GPIOs hanging off the north complex and some hanging off the south complex because i see the function for fastGpioDigigalRead that I am using calls two functions with NC or SC in the name depending on which pin I am writing to, and the NC and SC appear to be on-die in the quark because the pins go right from the quark to a level shifter. i dont really know what is going on on-die tho.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

Bloody posted:

I bought a tm4c launchpad board last night. 20 bucks and a cortex m4 and a zillion peripherals n poo poo

I have ordered this board. will post trip report.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

~*mY dEsK*~

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 28, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

is dat sum teensy3? good poo poo op

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I'm the through hole clown devices

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
there are still people using something other than Cortex-M chips for something that doesn't have to be ultra low power

smdh (i'm one of them, this project uses an STM8 because it needs to be dirt loving cheap but i mean apart from the IAR license wiping out the money we saved on the BOM cost several times over because this is a hilariously low volume product you could do worse)

poo poo i mean you can get actual application processor SoCs for like $10 these days if you're man enough to lay out some DDR lines :getin:

i write some fairly ownage firmware but i've never designed a PCB before and i'm not sure i'd want to start in a situation where my job depended on me not loving it up :ohdear:

also the other day i thought "hm, connecting AA batteries in series sums the voltage, right? ok just making sure" so yeah maybe i'm not the best man for that particular job

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
teensy3? :barf:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

there are still people using something other than Cortex-M chips for something that doesn't have to be ultra low power

smdh (i'm one of them, this project uses an STM8 because it needs to be dirt loving cheap but i mean apart from the IAR license wiping out the money we saved on the BOM cost several times over because this is a hilariously low volume product you could do worse)

poo poo i mean you can get actual application processor SoCs for like $10 these days if you're man enough to lay out some DDR lines :getin:

i write some fairly ownage firmware but i've never designed a PCB before and i'm not sure i'd want to start in a situation where my job depended on me not loving it up :ohdear:

also the other day i thought "hm, connecting AA batteries in series sums the voltage, right? ok just making sure" so yeah maybe i'm not the best man for that particular job

Aww yiss ddr termination

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

is dat sum teensy3? good poo poo op

Mr Dog posted:

teensy3? :barf:

Werthog 95 posted:

lol when hobbyists roll in and tell you "avr supremacy" just because that's what arduinos use

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

last thing i used my arduino for was hooking this thing up to my computer

then i couldn't think of anything worthwhile to do with it so now it sits there with wires hanging out its rear end

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

teensy 3 is a cortex-m4 dumbass

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
one with an amazingly lovely register layout that doesn't even seem to come with CMSIS headers, yes

i'm the big-endian IP cores on a little-endian processor

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

im a dumb hobbyist but microcontroller poo poo is fun as heck

i wired up a 4 digit 7 segment display and the first iteration i kept having some of the segments were dimmer than the others and when it finally clicked what i was doing wrong and how to resolve it i was all like :catdrugs:

just having to think about microseconds of delay and poo poo like that is a really fun exercise even if 'display 4 digits at a time' is a solved problem

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

maniacdevnull posted:

im a dumb hobbyist but microcontroller poo poo is fun as heck

i wired up a 4 digit 7 segment display and the first iteration i kept having some of the segments were dimmer than the others and when it finally clicked what i was doing wrong and how to resolve it i was all like :catdrugs:

just having to think about microseconds of delay and poo poo like that is a really fun exercise even if 'display 4 digits at a time' is a solved problem

it can definitely be fun and it's very satisfying when you figure out that what you were doing wrong in the programming sequence, yeah.

this must be what it feels like to work in post silicon verification except there's no money riding on me figuring out how to make this silly display work.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

good poo poo

trip report: the ladies loved it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
how many gates would an FPGA reasonably need to support to emulate a Lisp Machine CPU?

like first-gen, the CADR/Lambda/TI Explorer

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
for baby's first electronics project I'm going to be wiring up my apartment buzzer to internet via raspberry pi and then ideally going to an ESP8266 because I hear that it's the cool thing to do these days

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

teensy 3 is a cortex-m4 dumbass

lol, ok, sure

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Jimmy Carter posted:

for baby's first electronics project I'm going to be wiring up my apartment buzzer to internet via raspberry pi and then ideally going to an ESP8266 because I hear that it's the cool thing to do these days

hook it up to one of these so you squirt whenever you have visitors.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

movax posted:

personally i would de-feature msp430s out of existence, i hate the loving things (mostly the fram family) and documentation

can you give me a litany of complaints about them, the fr57xx is one of the chips in consideration for a design i'll be working on in a couple of months

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Their architecture is bad and their mips per mw or whatever power metric you want is bad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Mr Dog posted:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

kwinkles posted:

it can definitely be fun and it's very satisfying when you figure out that what you were doing wrong in the programming sequence, yeah.

this must be what it feels like to work in post silicon verification except there's no money riding on me figuring out how to make this silly display work.

Silicon verification loving sucks horse dong.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Blotto Skorzany posted:

can you give me a litany of complaints about them, the fr57xx is one of the chips in consideration for a design i'll be working on in a couple of months

sw dude complaints:
- lovely toolchain (ccs, mspgcc, gcc-msp430), iar wasn't considered because it's windows only
- lovely docs
- weird-rear end isa (certain operations very expensive like bit shifts :laugh:) also forget about doing intensive math

hw (my) complaints:
- lovely docs
- weird pinouts sometimes
- fr5969 has funky errata relating to leakage currents on certain pins
- weird rear end fram memory controller timings that changed from stepping to stepping
- took them six steppings to get release silicon out which is mildly terrifying
- you will need a reset supervisor or otherwise clean reset source, code will corrupt in brownout conditions (the SVS module on the frxxxx parts for some reason is slightly different than other msps)

the fr57xx series is older and their first go at the whole fram thing; new designs i'd check out the fr5989, if you can get it (i bought the first batches out of the factory)

like i said though, i'll give them props for the absurdly low power consumption and fram reliability

movax
Aug 30, 2008

eschaton posted:

how many gates would an FPGA reasonably need to support to emulate a Lisp Machine CPU?

like first-gen, the CADR/Lambda/TI Explorer

the low-end parts from altera or xilinx should be able to do it easy (spartan-6, artix-7, cyclone iv or cyclone v) -- there was a recent kickstarter for a spartan6 devboard which would work, or check out digilent's de-0 or de-1

i didn't see what cpu the machines used on wiki, but for 1980s vintage, i don't think you're running out of gates anytime soon.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

kwinkles posted:

i haven't really played around with it too much but i think the quark will have the old FSB architecture and the edison board that has silvermont cores will be the faster and lower power option. i know silvermont has the same IDI interface to the system agent that the big cores have now, and most of the stuff that is on-die will be hanging right off the system agent with IOSF or the intel memory requestor busses.

i know the galileo board has some of the GPIOs hanging off the north complex and some hanging off the south complex because i see the function for fastGpioDigigalRead that I am using calls two functions with NC or SC in the name depending on which pin I am writing to, and the NC and SC appear to be on-die in the quark because the pins go right from the quark to a level shifter. i dont really know what is going on on-die tho.

yeah gailelo (whichever one came first) is the og pentium cores on a newer process. do either of those new boards expose gpios via io space? seems like a no-brainer place to put some i/o for x86 so you can just outb() inb() all day long

just stay away from outb(0xf5, 0xb2) (probably not a problem on those guys though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

movax posted:

the low-end parts from altera or xilinx should be able to do it easy (spartan-6, artix-7, cyclone iv or cyclone v) -- there was a recent kickstarter for a spartan6 devboard which would work, or check out digilent's de-0 or de-1

i didn't see what cpu the machines used on wiki, but for 1980s vintage, i don't think you're running out of gates anytime soon.

the Lisp Machines used custom CPUs specifically designed for ease of Lisp implementation. (which isn't the same as "running Lisp in hardware" as some people claim.) they also had writable microcode, so the lowest-level operations could be made as fast as possible

the CADR emulator and Explorer emulator codebases provide C implementations that could probably be used to author some VHDL with effort, the main thing I'm wondering is if I'd get partway through and find out that lol, my Spartan 6 won't have anywhere near enough gates

I suppose since the original systems were literally a few square feet of 7400-series chips I should be able to estimate the gate count from that (hell, even just based on physical density)

• Locked thread