Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

yeah if there comes a day when using C is embedded is mostly a thing of the past I will be very sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

DuckConference posted:

yeah if there comes a day when using C is embedded is mostly a thing of the past I will be very sad

A lot of greybeards probably said the same thing about assembly language

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

Mr Dog posted:

bigass usb post

dope post. the chip i've been working with the last few days is slightly different though. There's no DMA. There's two registers I have direct access to (UADDR, UDATA) and then several other registers (most of which are bitfields for enabling/checking for interrupts on things like "a packet is ready in EP3-IN") which I can access through those two. Then i can read packets a byte at a time by (for example) setting UADDR to 'read bit' bitwise and the usb register number for the EP0-out buffer, waiting for the ready bit on UADDR to be set, and then reading UDATA to get my byte. Repeat 8 times for the whole setup packet. The chip has 2 IN endpoints, 1 OUT endpoint and ep0.

So far I've copied a bunch of example code from a the manual that makes the chip identify itself as a keyboard. I tried to adapt the code to make it easier to change into what i need (not a keyboard), and now it fucks up about 50% of the time (watching dmesg on the laptop I plug it into says it isn't sending the device descriptor or something). kinda weird that it sometimes works. maybe I slowed it down too much and it's timing out? god i hope not.

Illusive Fuck Man fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 6, 2014

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Tin Gang posted:

I'm pretty much the opposite now because I don't like high level programming but I want to know how to build things out of transistors

this isn't as fun as it sounds but if you can do it there are people who will pay you to do it.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

dope post. the chip i've been working with the last few days is slightly different though. There's no DMA. There's two registers I have direct access to (UADDR, UDATA) and then several other registers (most of which are bitfields for enabling/checking for interrupts on things like "a packet is ready in EP3-IN") which I can access through those two. Then i can read packets a byte at a time by (for example) setting UADDR to 'read bit' bitwise and the usb register number for the EP0-out buffer, waiting for the ready bit on UADDR to be set, and then reading UDATA to get my byte. Repeat 8 times for the whole setup packet. The chip has 2 IN endpoints, 1 OUT endpoint and ep0.

So far I've copied a bunch of example code from a the manual that makes the chip identify itself as a keyboard. I tried to adapt the code to make it easier to change into what i need (not a keyboard), and now it fucks up about 50% of the time (watching dmesg on the laptop I plug it into says it isn't sending the device descriptor or something). kinda weird that it sometimes works. maybe I slowed it down too much and it's timing out? god i hope not.

sdounds like your using the aforementioned poverty-tier hardware. sorry for your loss.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jonny 290 posted:

feels too Commodore-1541 to me

how is this a bad thing? I mean, I've always been an Apple guy, and the IWM was an amazing hack, but giving the 1541 its own CPU made it awesome

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
re-teaching myself microcontrollers update: I have received the texas instruments tm4c1294 launchpad and managed to program an led to blink on and off with some example code. very satisfied so far.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

re-teaching myself microcontrollers update: I have received the texas instruments tm4c1294 launchpad and managed to program an led to blink on and off with some example code. very satisfied so far.

keep it up, soon you'll be ilghting up the skies :getin:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
now, program it... to love

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Blotto Skorzany posted:

now, program it... to love

no dont

it will only be disappointed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

poll: is it pronounced "A T Tiny" or "at tiny"? "A T Mega" or "at mega"?

i pronounce the letters individually but someone else i know pronounces it at-whatever and it drives me up the wall

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

"who gives a gently caress"
"at mega"

semon demon
Jul 31, 2006

I did a ton of FPGA stuff in school like writin a few multicore processors in verilog and some weird video processsing poo poo and it was real fun but now I spend all day doin gay database garbage. Are there any non-stupid-expensive and non-ridiculous-toolchain FPGA's for general gently caress-around-ery out there?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Sagebrush posted:

i pronounce the letters individually but someone else i know pronounces it at-whatever and it drives me up the wall

i've always heard it pronounced "at-mega" not individual letters.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

semon demon posted:

I did a ton of FPGA stuff in school like writin a few multicore processors in verilog and some weird video processsing poo poo and it was real fun but now I spend all day doin gay database garbage. Are there any non-stupid-expensive and non-ridiculous-toolchain FPGA's for general gently caress-around-ery out there?

a lot of the dev kits come with some sort of license like you can get a decent zynq kit for a couple hundred bucks with a not too crippled copy of vivado

movax
Aug 30, 2008

zedboard's probably the best, and its bsp doesn't blow (if you want a zynq anyway)

otherwise check digilent

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

"shameful"

semon demon
Jul 31, 2006

thanks yospos i love u

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Sagebrush posted:

at-mega, as in atmel

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

suffix posted:

at-mega, as in atmel

that one makes sense but then ATtiny at-tiny sounds so stupid

semon demon
Jul 31, 2006

I always said it at-innie (like the belly button variety)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bloody posted:

"who gives a gently caress"

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
people pay me to be an embedded software engineer which is cool, i like it. hth

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

c bits s: dealing with special snowflake ADCs is annoying. 20-bit output range? yeah that won't be annoying at all

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Bloody posted:

c bits s: dealing with special snowflake ADCs is annoying. 20-bit output range? yeah that won't be annoying at all

one of the new super-SARs, or have you been saddled with the builtin adc on a psoc?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk was helpin a coworker out

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

coworker heard i liked jigsaw puzzles and brought me some sweet vendor swag

movax
Aug 30, 2008

sund posted:

i have that one, it's fuckin' rad

Blotto Skorzany posted:

one of the new super-SARs, or have you been saddled with the builtin adc on a psoc?

ltc and ad have solid high-end adcs, complete with giant $$$ tag

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

sund posted:

dang, i want that

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
it that jim williams's desktop^

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my coworkers complain that my workspace is messy. the most filthy, wire-infested portions of my workspace are still neater than the dut in that picture

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Olivil posted:

it that jim williams's desktop^

yep

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Iirc they shrink wrapped and protected his desk

the turbo encabulator is buried in it, never to be seen

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

sund posted:

this looks like a real mess this person should probably invest in some simulators.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

movax posted:

Iirc they shrink wrapped and protected his desk

the turbo encabulator is buried in it, never to be seen

this is the best version of that, imo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtR63-ecUNo very relevant to thread title

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
/

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
i had wondered for a while why the stack overflow checks in freertos never seemed to work (always reported that no overflow had occurred) and the mpu exception handler that i wrote always got called instead. i was poking around in the scheduler for other reasons and found this

code:
		//taskFIRST_CHECK_FOR_STACK_OVERFLOW();
		//taskSECOND_CHECK_FOR_STACK_OVERFLOW();
i guess that's why setting configCHECK_FOR_STACK_OVERFLOW to the appropriate value didn't do anything. i'll have to check git to see whether a coworker did this or if the main distribution had this bug at the time we grabbed it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

dang, i want that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
should i use something like freetros for my next project or just do what i always do and write ad hoc routines and a ten page exception handler?

it's mostly just shifting serial data around, maybe some DMA, sleep and a ton of scheduled monitoring tasks

• Locked thread