Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

This was pretty good and surprisingly long, but there was no Krieg. 4/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Hannibal Smith posted:

I can never be a totally nice guy in Telltale's games. The stories always seems to work better for me when I start off as something of a jerk and then slowly soften up over the course of the season. Rhys and Sasha definitely didn't like each other that way in my playthrough. They didn't hate each other, but I didn't pick up anything like that.

Ah, I'm guessing that's not just a binary choice, which is why my percentage was so low. To clarify I had the option to shoot him and didn't do that, but I didn't warn him when he went to open the case.

I'm just wondering if he's able to survive or if he's killed another way if you warn him about the bomb.

I know it's a Telltale game and won't make a huge difference, but I'm still curious.

Yeah I must admit I was surprised at my percentage on that, as it was fairly low, I think it is because of how much it branches or something. So yeah in the caravan I told Felix we were like family, and he got a bit sentimental but still tried to steal the case. Then when it came time to warn him I tried to warn him, but got cut off, then got another choice so another chance to branch, and tried to warn him again. This time it went through just as he managed to unlock the case, he throws it off to the side where it explodes and scurries away with the ? message saying that Felix will remember this. So I assume he will be in another episode for me, but presumably not for people who let him blow himself up or used the single shot on him.

Speaking of the single shot I didn't take the shot at August, and someone said something about August dying in one choice they made so that sounds like more major branching in future episodes based off choices made.

This was my first Tell Tale Game so I am not sure how major the branches in the story can get based off decisions made.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Vargs posted:

This was pretty good and surprisingly long, but there was no Krieg. 4/10

Four episodes still to go. Fingers crossed!

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

jeeves posted:

Just don't play your first character as Krieg. You'll spoil yourself rotten.
How so? Does he have spoiler lines or...?

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Four episodes still to go. Fingers crossed!
Five episodes, six vault hunters. Who's gonna be the odd man out?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

InequalityGodzilla posted:

How so? Does he have spoiler lines or...?
Nah nothing like that, it's just that a lot of people really, really like Krieg (and playing as him). Why else do you think people are asking where he is?

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 27, 2014

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ryuujin posted:

I didn't take the shot at August, and someone said something about August dying in one choice they made so that sounds like more major branching in future episodes based off choices made.

This was my first Tell Tale Game so I am not sure how major the branches in the story can get based off decisions made.

I took the shot at August and he didn't die, so if he can be killed I don't know how.

As for branches, Telltale's a bit controversial since traditionally their divergent paths don't diverge too wildly and tend to fold back into the main trunk over time. If saving someone is determinant, usually it's either near the end of the season, they die/leave anyway in an episode or two's time, or they're not very important/around very often so it's easy to write around.

It depends on your attitude toward what choice means, I guess, and the fact that Borderlands has a pretty light attitude and the choices aren't these Grueling Hard Decisions probably means people won't be as invested in harsh consequences. It's better to see the choices as a matter of character and style than major plot forks. I had Fiona warn Felix, for example, because I thought she wasn't ruthless enough to screw him over even after what he'd pulled, but I don't expect he'll show up much more or do much else. It's more about how the decision reflects on Fiona than what Felix will do.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I really like Rhys, and am sorely tempted to go through another playthrough or two, maybe more, to try some other options. When in the underground area that used to be an Atlas base or something, with Sasha. They are both trying to take out a guard, she easily, and a little flashily, takes out a guard. I have him give her the thumbs up. He tries to choke out/snap neck of his guard like she does, and just fails at it. Picked the option where he says he has this when she asks if he needs help. And the guard tells her that no he does not have it. It is just showing how un-badass Rhys is in combat. Then QTE stun baton the guard. And then Rhys turns to Sasha and gives her a "come on" look and she reluctantly gives him a thumbs up. Also the choice I made in the elevator had Rhys just gush about Zer0, and then Zer0 responds with <3

I have been trying to be a nice guy with Rhys. Early on saying that "We" will be successful and basically including Vaughn in the whole rise of power, offering to buy lunch for Yvette? I am not a hundred percent on if that was her name or not. Asking her to watch out for herself when things fall apart, not turning on Vaughn, etc. Also been fairly kind to Sasha, opening up when she asks about life in Hyperion on Helios, making it sound like things are not all that great. Giving her the thumbs up, trying to joke with her, saying Absolutely when she asks about the stun baton. I think that really helped, combined with opening up about Hyperion/Helios, in making them seem like they were growing close. Also I feel like Vaughn and Fiona were getting close too.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Dolash posted:

I took the shot at August and he didn't die, so if he can be killed I don't know how.

As for branches, Telltale's a bit controversial since traditionally their divergent paths don't diverge too wildly and tend to fold back into the main trunk over time. If saving someone is determinant, usually it's either near the end of the season, they die/leave anyway in an episode or two's time, or they're not very important/around very often so it's easy to write around.

It depends on your attitude toward what choice means, I guess, and the fact that Borderlands has a pretty light attitude and the choices aren't these Grueling Hard Decisions probably means people won't be as invested in harsh consequences. It's better to see the choices as a matter of character and style than major plot forks. I had Fiona warn Felix, for example, because I thought she wasn't ruthless enough to screw him over even after what he'd pulled, but I don't expect he'll show up much more or do much else. It's more about how the decision reflects on Fiona than what Felix will do.

Shade might be a deciding factor in if August dies when you take your shot, if it's even possible. I've only tried shooting August in a playthrough where Shade helps you with the ventilation fan, and that shot only hit his hand. I didn't befriend Shade in my second playthrough. That caused Shade to mill around in the chaos when Bossanova shows up, and he is hit in the guts by August.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 27, 2014

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Having only played the first Borderlands for about two hours before deciding it was aggressively unfun, I can safely say I really enjoyed this. It was really funny and well-written, though the beginning was a little weaker than the rest (jokes not as funny, mostly); towards the middle it really hit its stride and just became a total joy to play through all the way through the end. I'll note that most of the humor comes from character interactions and the world itself, not so much any of the references or obvious jokes. This is a good thing.

Playing Rhys as a total Patrick Bateman style yuppie rear end in a top hat, since he just lends himself so well to it. It feels so good to be able to let loose and be a dickish guy after playing it so safe in Walking Dead and Wolf. Definitely preferring him to Fiona at the moment, though only by a slight margin; she's pretty cool, too.

As for the notable choices I made...despite Fiona being less of an rear end in a top hat and therefore less amusing, I had her shoot Felix. Just felt like the dramatically appropriate thing to do. Maybe less of a yuppie rear end in a top hat, but definitely more cold blooded, I'm going for.

That being said, I took Shade along because he was endearing for some unexplainable reason. Didn't let Loader Bot die for my sins, since he still has the Lord's work to do.

I'm also really liking the whole alternating viewpoints thing and unreliable narrations, so I hope they keep going with that. Not sure how to feel about this Handsome Jack guy, since I never played 2. Hoping he won't be annoying.

So yeah, if anyone's on the fence, get this. It's great.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
Since you're enjoying playing Rhys as an rear end in a top hat, I think you'll like Jack.

croutonZA fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 27, 2014

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

croutonZA posted:

Since you're enjoying playing Rhys as an rear end in a top hat, I think you'll like Jack.
I was playing Rhys as loyal to his friends but otherwise absolutely ruthless when it came to his advancement, but I kind of like that idea and I might try it, just to see if Jack responds in a kind of "hey, you're my sort of guy!" way.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I can't get over that they used Kronk's voice actor for your Hyperion boss. :allears:

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
I'm kinda playing him off as passingly loyal to his buddies as well (Sasha aside, I didn't let her touch the prod), but since Rhys, Vaughn and Yvette all come off as extras from a Bret Easton Ellis novel, it's kinda difficult to be anything but a self-absorbed, slightly bumbling yuppie. And I quite love it.

That being said, I still chose to be loyal to Vaughn when Vasquez called... though more because I don't trust Vasquez than anything else, and continuing to work to screw him over just seems like the egotistical thing to do.

Repeating that this is great. Getting a real Tarantino in space vibe.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I've only played a little bit of Borderlands 2, but I really enjoyed this first episode. It reminds me of the tabletop game "Fiasco", where interlocking circles of relationships collide and everything that could go wrong will go wrong.

The first two hours of this series just flew by and I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens next!

So far, I've been playing Rhys as very loyal to his friends, because I figure friends are hard to come by in Hyperion so you want to keep the ones you have. My Fiona is rather impetuous and all about family, which was why I had her shoot Felix. Fifteen years as a family and he leaves his "kids" twisting in the wind the second he makes a score? He deserved the bullet he got.

Something odd I noticed: Rhys' eye is a different color in the current scenes as opposed to the flashbacks. In the past, it's blue and in the present, it's yellow. Could this be related to the influence of cyber-Jack?

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Hold on a second. I told the Loader Bot to evacuate. He comes back just at the end and is there when you break the secret Atlas passage open. But then the game told me "he went in peace or in pieces. I don't get it. Is he dead? Alive?

I need more Loader Bot.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 28, 2014

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah he's fine. Those descriptions are general to the question, not the answer, and the two outcomes were evacuate or self-destruct (in peace or in pieces). Although I think if you order Loader Bot to self destruct he still puts himself together again and appears at the end, he just hates Rhys now instead of calling him "Righteous Father!"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Haven't gotten it yet but have seen a bit on youtube. How did they make Shade even CREEPIER? Hahahahaha.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Quiet Python posted:

Something odd I noticed: Rhys' eye is a different color in the current scenes as opposed to the flashbacks. In the past, it's blue and in the present, it's yellow. Could this be related to the influence of cyber-Jack?

His hand looked like it was made from chrome too. The orange in his eye and on the LEDs on his arm reminded me of the Atlas place they found, so I'm wondering if maybe he's blinged out with other Atlas stuff they've yet to uncover.

Dolash posted:

Yeah he's fine. Those descriptions are general to the question, not the answer, and the two outcomes were evacuate or self-destruct (in peace or in pieces). Although I think if you order Loader Bot to self destruct he still puts himself together again and appears at the end, he just hates Rhys now instead of calling him "Righteous Father!"

When he self-destructs, a note says "Loader Bot stored this in his memory!" Outside of Telltale having fun with notes like that, the implication could be that all his memory is transferred into a fresh chassis. Or just that he was patched together again C3P0 style.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

We'll never know, since nobody's sick and twisted enough to ask heroic Loader Bot to blow himself up. No, don't show me the stats, I just know.

As for Rhys, I hadn't thought about it but I suppose one reason for the fashion change might be because he's rigged up with a hell of a lot of cybernetics, probably from Hyperion, which are also infected with Jack. It'll probably come back to bite him eventually, like Vasquez tracking him through his implants or disabling his arm and eye and he'll need to find some replacements. Dropping the Hyperion look in general would be smart while they're stranded on Pandora, the episode select screen shows him wearing it in episode 2 and 5 but I have to wonder if he won't change out of it at some point to avoid being spotted.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Man I looked at the stats and all you guys are loving pussies. Why wouldn't I blow up the loader bot/keep my baton/pretend to accept Vasquez's deal?

I bet you all didn't even take that dying dude's money.

This is no way to operate.

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!

Junkfist posted:

Man I looked at the stats and all you guys are loving pussies. Why wouldn't I blow up the loader bot/keep my baton/pretend to accept Vasquez's deal?

This is no way to operate.

Yeah, people care too much about pixels and mass produced robots. You need the dead man's money for that cool skull mask Sasha and Vaughn wear in the race.

I'm in the same boat with some others here. I'm so-so with the Borderlands series and only played 1 and dabbled in 2. Though Telltale takes a decently established setting and takes off with it. The humor isn't grating to me like the rest of the series. I usually would keep to a morality track (good or evil) in Telltale games, but I think I'll stick to "What option will give me the craziest and most hilarious results?"

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Dolash posted:

We'll never know, since nobody's sick and twisted enough to ask heroic Loader Bot to blow himself up. No, don't show me the stats, I just know.
When I played it I'm pretty sure it was barely over 1 in 5 people.

Junkfist posted:

As a Borderlands veteran if course I did. Stealing dead people's poo poo is intrinsic to the Borderlands experience.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Edward_Lapine posted:

Yeah, people care too much about pixels and mass produced robots. You need the dead man's money for that cool skull mask Sasha and Vaughn wear in the race.

You don't need to take the guy's money to afford the most expensive helmet.

Also, if letting loader bot live is wrong I don't want to be right.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
You know it just hit me that in all seriousness it would actually be really easy to write Krieg into the plot, because Krieg would know all about dealing with having a tiny voice inside your head.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Finished the first episode last night, and it's a very promising start to the season. I wasn't really sure how this would play out, the last two series Telltale's done started off strong then got bad pretty much the very next episode (Wolf Among Us) or started off bad and just got worse as the season dragged on (Walking Dead 2), so I'm really curious if they've bucked the trend and have enough of their poo poo together to make another good season.

Also really nice to see them working on comedy again, I really should get around to finishing one of the Sam & Max seasons or maybe trying out Monkey Island.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
One flaw that I'm hoping doesn't rear its head in upcoming episodes is the overpandering to the decision statistics. I know this approaches tinfoil hat territory, but it just got absurdly easy to predict who would die in The Walking Dead Season 2.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

First TTG game I've purchased, have an excellent first impression of it. Humor was certainly better written than BL2 or Presequel (never played the first BL so wouldn't know), and casting Laura Bailey got a :neckbeard: reaction from me, since I picked her as my Saint's Row 3&4 boss.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Speedball posted:

Haven't gotten it yet but have seen a bit on youtube. How did they make Shade even CREEPIER? Hahahahaha.

No joke, when I saw the dude all propped up with a speaker I stopped for like thirty seconds because I knew I had to walk forward to progress but that also meant Shade was there somewhere and I wasn't sure I could handle that. Then they went and made him creepier somehow. Probably black magic.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Speedball posted:

I really didn't think it was even possible. But god drat, they managed it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Is there any news on whether this game's been a success for Telltale or not? The reviews and discussion of it I've seen have been universally positive, but I don't see that much chatter online. Are people being turned off by it being a Borderlands game, while the Borderlands audience doesn't have a general appetite for adventure games?

Also I'm hoping the context of the framing device scene can change based on your choices, like the person in the suit turning out to be different people depending on what you did in the past or Fiona and Rhys actually faking their antagonism if you choose to make some plan to fool someone in order to achieve... something. Or at least let there be several possible reasons for them being mad at each other.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So I have played through twice now, and have an idea for a third run. Though I am curious if anyone has tried it yet.

Was thinking of going through and pretty much always picking the ... option, or letting the timer run out, when applicable. This obviously wouldn't work during the QTEs or at the end of Rhys initial telling when you have a choice of two options. And there are probably other places where you don't get the silent option, but I am curious if you are silent during enough conversations if it will get commented on.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Dolash posted:

Also I'm hoping the context of the framing device scene can change based on your choices, like the person in the suit turning out to be different people depending on what you did in the past or Fiona and Rhys actually faking their antagonism if you choose to make some plan to fool someone in order to achieve... something. Or at least let there be several possible reasons for them being mad at each other.
I saw a theory that the masked bandit is Zer0, since his first lines are in haiku. I can't see what would be the point, but on the other hand that would be the most hilariously specific red herring ever.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
I had an absolute blast playing through the first episode. Is there an ETA on the rest?

Ruzaii
Mar 1, 2009

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

I had an absolute blast playing through the first episode. Is there an ETA on the rest?

Sadly, Telltale doesn't really announce release dates until the week before an episode launches. With past seasons release dates were fairly scattershot, but as a general rule episodes came out roughly two months apart.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Ruzaii posted:

Sadly, Telltale doesn't really announce release dates until the week before an episode launches. With past seasons release dates were fairly scattershot, but as a general rule episodes came out roughly two months apart.

I think the longest gap was 4 months between episodes of The Wolf Among Us. So at worst it's April.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I really didn't think it was even possible. But god drat, they managed it.
I always thought shade was funny :shrug:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, he's hilarious. But also really, really messed up.

panzertape
Nov 5, 2014
Is there already a release date for the last Episode. I never touch these before the whole season is out. Im somehow tending to lose interest if i have to wait longer than a week. :v:

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Vernii posted:

First TTG game I've purchased, have an excellent first impression of it. Humor was certainly better written than BL2 or Presequel (never played the first BL so wouldn't know), and casting Laura Bailey got a :neckbeard: reaction from me, since I picked her as my Saint's Row 3&4 boss.

That's why she sounded so familar, she was my SR boss in those games as well.

This game is really loving funny and does a good job of adapting the Borderlands concept to an adventure/dialogue-driven context. Surprised at the length as well, I hope the Game of Thrones episodes keep this up. This is already a much stronger start than The Wolf Among Us had.

Can't stress how strong the writing is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Shade is hilarious, but god drat have you actually looked at his face? :stare:

I think I figured it out. This is how he looked in BL2:

Bad enough, but in this game they let you see his eyes. His crazy, crazy eyes. :pwn:

• Locked thread