Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Shade is hilarious, but god drat have you actually looked at his face? :stare:

I think I figured it out. This is how he looked in BL2:

Bad enough, but in this game they let you see his eyes. His crazy, crazy eyes. :pwn:
He's like if someone smacked Raoul Duke in the face with a frying pan a couple dozen times, how is that not funny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Just played this and its really good, but what's the rate that these episodes get released? I want more

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Usually every month or two. I'd expect around every other month (alternating with their Game of Thrones ones)

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

InequalityGodzilla posted:

He's like if someone smacked Raoul Duke in the face with a frying pan a couple dozen times, how is that not funny?

It is funny. And also terrifying.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, I think it's the fact you can see his eyes behind his shades now. He just looks that much crazier.

Still, man has attention to detail and commitment to the gallery. Oasis was an attempt at a total reproduction of the people who lived there right up to a recorded marriage proposal rejection. He is also really good at keeping bodies from rotting somehow.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Speedball posted:

He is also really good at keeping bodies from rotting somehow.
No, no, not really. They're just very, very fresh. Shade's crazier than we thought.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I bet there's a lot of gentle, yet thorough formaldehyde sponging involved.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Hey I forgot to mention this in the OP, but this game is canon. None of you better have let Shade dying be canon.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

How sensitive is Borderlands as a series to what's canon or not? If there's divergence, will they just pick certain choices as canon or will it be important to make sure everything more or less shakes out the same way (like killing off Shade later if he survived episode 1)?

I guess we don't know yet if Rhys and Fiona survive the season, but it's an interesting question considering how some other Telltale protagonists have been handled.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wait wait back up

You can kill off Shade?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Haven't really played the first game so not entirely sure how much "choice" you had to effect the fates of towns/NPCs so not sure how open to those choices it is. But I feel like there was an NPC in Tales from the Borderlands that actually could have died in Borderlands 2. Though I cannot remember who at the moment.

And SatansBestBuddy Not exactly. One of the choices you make as Fiona has him bumbling around and he happens to get shot, by someone else, purely by accident when he stumbles into the line of fire.

Still haven't gotten around to try my "silent protagonist" route yet, kind of curious if there will be any comment on it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dolash posted:

How sensitive is Borderlands as a series to what's canon or not? If there's divergence, will they just pick certain choices as canon or will it be important to make sure everything more or less shakes out the same way (like killing off Shade later if he survived episode 1)?

I guess we don't know yet if Rhys and Fiona survive the season, but it's an interesting question considering how some other Telltale protagonists have been handled.

Depends on whoever (probably Burch) does the writing for BL3.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Dolash posted:

Well that's the point to using original characters; they can be never referenced again except for in the broadest terms. I think the only characters that might need to have their fates locked in are those that could affect Borderlands 3, like Jack.

Ryuujin posted:

Haven't really played the first game so not entirely sure how much "choice" you had to effect the fates of towns/NPCs so not sure how open to those choices it is. But I feel like there was an NPC in Tales from the Borderlands that actually could have died in Borderlands 2. Though I cannot remember who at the moment.
You're probably thinking of Tector Hodunk; you could either kill him or Mike Zaford in a quest. That they went with the Hodunks might be an in-joke on how the reward for killing Mike Zaford was one of the most popular guns in the game.

quote:

Still haven't gotten around to try my "silent protagonist" route yet, kind of curious if there will be any comment on it.
I've heard there are some special jokes if you take the silent options at certain times. ("Ow! I didn't even say anything!")

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah just did my 3rd time through, Silent, though I made a few mistakes where I accidentally clicked something. Of course there are also a few points where there is no timer nor ... option so you HAVE to pick one of two options. Also I found one point where choosing ... led to a death so had to go back and actually pick something.

And yeah Tector was who I was thinking of.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Wait wait back up

You can kill off Shade?

He got shot in the back during the scuffle for me.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm curious to know how Rhys and Vaughn were planning to get back up to Helios. They get shot down to the surface in a car, which was really cool, but getting back up might have required a ship or something.

EDIT: So what are all the ways you can jailbreak the loader? I had bulldozer shield and sticky grenades, so he stuck a bunch to the front of the shield, jumped into the air and slammed down to create a cone of electricity.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 2, 2014

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Speedball posted:

I'm curious to know how Rhys and Vaughn were planning to get back up to Helios. They get shot down to the surface in a car, which was really cool, but getting back up might have required a ship or something.

EDIT: So what are all the ways you can jailbreak the loader? I had bulldozer shield and sticky grenades, so he stuck a bunch to the front of the shield, jumped into the air and slammed down to create a cone of electricity.

I'm pretty worried for them, actually. People tend to get stuck on Pandora. I assumed they' expected Yvette to send something...so now I'm worried for her.

Oh, and I chose machine gun/longbow grenades, and it turned into a grenade launcher.

mycot fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 3, 2014

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
When you get to pick up some loot near the end, I didn't realise you'd only get the chance to pick up one, so I picked the thing nearest to me and there was an orange beam in the back. :argh:

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Honestly I'm not that excited for Jack to be back in some form. I thought he was a cool and charismatic villain in Borderlands 2 but his story was neatly finished and wrapped up, he's a really popular character so I can see why The Pre-Sequel and this are both emphasising him, but I'm just not that interested in more Jack.

I understand it's going to play a big part in Rhys's characterisation so maybe this will be handled well.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Metrohunter posted:

When you get to pick up some loot near the end, I didn't realise you'd only get the chance to pick up one, so I picked the thing nearest to me and there was an orange beam in the back. :argh:

If you walk too far the cut-scene starts and you get nothing!

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
:vince:

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Speedball posted:

Well that answers my question, as that is the ONLY combo I haven't done yet.

And yeah like someone said Machine Gun and Sticky Grenades, my first combo, has Loader Bot jam the grenades into the triple barrels of his Machine Gun turning it into a Grenade Launcher, I feel like the shape of the barrels changed, and then he starts shooting them everywhere, particularly a bunch of them into the parked van/bus whatever it was. He also goes on about becoming Death and stuff like that that was pretty funny.

My next run through I picked the Riot Shield and Rocket Launcher. I was wondering what he was going to do with such a passive seeming thing but man does he smack things around with that shield. I forget if he said anything when combining them. But what he did was pull Rhys and Vaughn in close, fire the rockets into the air, and then cover himself and them with the shield while rockets rained down from above.

My third run through, where I tried to pick the ... options or wait for the timer as much as possible I picked Machine Gun and Rocket Launcher. He mentions something about inappropriate level of response mode or something, basically commenting on how he was about to use way more firepower than was actually called for for the situation. Then he starts spinning his torso around in circles, while Rhys and Vaughn cower about his legs, and just unloading everything in a circle of death. Machine Gun just keeps firing and the same for rockets.

And of course after each battle when the bodies fall he says "Fatality."

I do like the options, though I expected more combining the weapons after the first one I did, since it had seemed like the weapon had actually changed when he did that one.

I must say Loader Bot feels like Best Character to me, and I now wish the next Borderlands game would somehow have Loader Bot as a playable character. Then again a character that would likely have a yellow lifebar instead of red, and thus be highly resistant to non corrosive weapons, would probably not be all that balanced. But with a special that allows one to hodgepodge their weapons together for a short time would be interesting and I believe different from the other classes in the previous Borderlands games.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

mycot posted:

You're probably thinking of Tector Hodunk; you could either kill him or Mike Zaford in a quest. That they went with the Hodunks might be an in-joke on how the reward for killing Mike Zaford was one of the most popular guns in the game.
And the reward you get from Mick Zaford for killing the Hodunks was one of the worst guns in the game. So everybody kills the Zafords.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ryuujin posted:

I must say Loader Bot feels like Best Character to me, and I now wish the next Borderlands game would somehow have Loader Bot as a playable character. Then again a character that would likely have a yellow lifebar instead of red, and thus be highly resistant to non corrosive weapons, would probably not be all that balanced. But with a special that allows one to hodgepodge their weapons together for a short time would be interesting and I believe different from the other classes in the previous Borderlands games.

Eh, enemy resistances in ng for all the games (and ng+ for BL1) only vary by ~20% in most cases,, so they could just have him be a bit weaker to corrosive and a bit strong to incendiary and it would work out fine.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dammit I still have Busy Earnin stuck in my head.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Since I'm a PS4 player, this is pretty much the only Borderlands fun I can have (RIP My PS3) until BL3 comes, or the Pre-Sequel is ported over, and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Of course being an experienced Borderlands player, I chose the most assholish options available to me, at all times, I was mean to everyone, stole everyone's poo poo, Told Loader Bot to blow himself up, sold my best friend out to Vasquez, I shot August, even though the bullet only goes through his hand, and I told the old dude to gently caress himself and he blew up.

I regret none of my choices, and only hope I can make even more lovely choices, like my BFF Handsome Jack would do.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Apparently people have already figured out how to put models from Game of Thrones in place of Tales from the Borderlands characters and vice versa. Loader-Tyrion is just a writhing mass of limbs with Peter Dinklage's head on top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6X5I_OFi2E&t=47s

Edit: And in the other direction

mycot fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 6, 2014

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
This is really awesome been a fan of Telltale since they released the new Sam and Max and I played the hell out of BL2 with mates when it was out so I got alot of the references and characters.

I really liked the QTE's and the interface in this one it seemed a hell of alot more fluid and interactive than the fight scenes in the Game of thrones ep1.

Oh and I LOVE the theme tune

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

A lot funnier than it has any right to be,

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
I'm assuming the "chose Vaughn" choice referred to selling him out to Vasquez? Also noticed some people aren't using spoiler tags - they're being used in the other Telltale game threads, so idk why not this one. Eh, decided to use them anyway.

Just finished my first playthrough. Playing Rhys as the harmless, sarcastic guy seemed like the right choice - his lines are more entertaining for me that way, mostly cos they feel like things I myself would say. My Fiona was all nice, unbloodied, and innocent the entire episode up until Felix backstabbed the girls and ran out with the cash. I chose the "But we're family" option and everything, but then when he decided to be all "Oh Fiona, maybe someday you'll understand", I figured it was cool to let him go adios. I might try to keep her violence-free unless obv someone's trying to kill her.

Also, I'm pretty sure I caught a glimpse of a stuffed animal toy in that "Next up on..." trailer, which immediately makes me think Tiny Tina. Good lord pls be a Tiny Tina reference, she ma homegurl :3:

InequalityGodzilla posted:

No, no, not really. They're just very, very fresh. Shade's crazier than we thought.
But we killed Bewm and his bro around the beginning of BL2, which I'm thinking is a good few months - if not years - before this game. Besides, being able to preserve bodies like that is waaaaaay creepier than being a plain old mass murderer. This is Pandora after all.

bubblelubble fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 10, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

And yet despite being perfectly preserved Shade then screws it all up by ramming a giant spike through all his posed bodies.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

bubblelubble posted:

But we killed Bewm and his bro around the beginning of BL2, which I'm thinking is a good few months - if not years - before this game. Besides, being able to preserve bodies like that is waaaaaay creepier than being a plain old mass murderer. This is Pandora after all.
The description of the Atlas poster you can scan ("edited by HJACK69 342 days ago") implies that this takes place less than a year after the end of Borderlands 2. Uh, not like that helps much with the corpse freshness, just bringing it up.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
As much as I enjoyed this, it didn't feel Borderlands-y enough until Bossanova showed up, dubstep blasting from his speakers non stop and using a crazy distorted voice to hide the fact his true voice is hilariously nerdy sounding.

I hope more Bandit Lords like this show up in all future episodes.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, Bossanova would totally be fitting in a standard shooty Borderlands game as an enemy.

I particularly liked when he started calling out to the audience as "scumdogs." "Also known as that big chariot race thing where EVERYONE DIES!"

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I had hoped against hope that Torgue would be the leader of the death race.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Man I was really trying to save money, and I knew I was in trouble when I was downloaded the demo...

But I fell straight in love when that prologue finished and that intro set to "Busy Earnin'" kicked up.

I think I'm playing this again.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Holy poo poo that was... That was good! This might end up being the best Telltale games series yet! The humor was fantastic, the action tense, and the themesong is holy gently caress good.

Edit: It's on spotify if anyone is curious.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Next episode's supposed to come out Tuesday and I'm pumped. I only regret how much work I'll have to slog through first before I can play.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
poo poo, assuming this snowstorm doesn't knock out my Internet, being snowed in is starting to sound a little less bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Dolash posted:

Next episode's supposed to come out Tuesday and I'm pumped. I only regret how much work I'll have to slog through first before I can play.

Wait, really? Where did you hear that?

• Locked thread