Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I have been posting about the Dollop since it came out, but didn't realize it had its own thread now. Whoops. Anyway the Rube and Ten Cent Beer Night are my two favorites, but I also liked the recent "reverse Dollop" where Gary told Dave about North Korea's film industry. What a great podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Man, I kinda knew the story of Kellogg already (it was on Drunk History) but somehow I totally missed that stuff about him being a huge proponent of child genital mutilation. I want to find his grave and jerk off on it :mad:

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Wow, I didn't expect to like this show from the description but it's actually really funny. If you're looking for a good place to start, the Rajneeshpuran episode was great.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

when gary realizes who kellogg was...top ten dollop moments

when dave drops the bomb about post...best dollop moment ever

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
We all knew this day would come: today's episode is Killdozer.

Also, since I was reminded that today is the anniversary of the Boston Molasses Flood, I really need them to do an episode on that.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

:patriot: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1075649 (in on page 4 hell yeah)

The Molasses flood is crazy for how destructive it was compared to how silly it sounds, but I'm not sure you can wrangle a whole story out of it. Then again they got a lot of mileage out of the Kentucky Meat Shower, so what do I know!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Reformed Pissboy posted:

:patriot: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1075649 (in on page 4 hell yeah)

The Molasses flood is crazy for how destructive it was compared to how silly it sounds, but I'm not sure you can wrangle a whole story out of it. Then again they got a lot of mileage out of the Kentucky Meat Shower, so what do I know!

There's a lot of story leading up to it, what with the circumstances surrounding its construction, one worker who kept having dreams about the flood before it happened and kept trying to prevent it, and the spin the company tried to put on it during the trial.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

PantsOptional posted:

There's a lot of story leading up to it, what with the circumstances surrounding its construction, one worker who kept having dreams about the flood before it happened and kept trying to prevent it, and the spin the company tried to put on it during the trial.

Wait, what?! I knew nothing about it other than "molasses kills like 10 people." Now I'm simultaneously mad at you for spoiling the inevitable episode and really loving excited to hear Gareth's reactions to it :stare:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

Wait, what?! I knew nothing about it other than "molasses kills like 10 people." Now I'm simultaneously mad at you for spoiling the inevitable episode and really loving excited to hear Gareth's reactions to it :stare:

Believe me, that doesn't even come close to spoiling just how hosed up this whole situation was.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Dave is really easy to get ahold of on Facebook if you send him a message about the molasses flood and a couple bullet points about how crazy it is you'll likely get his attention.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'm really digging Gareth's Most Aggressive, Dumbest Man Alive shtick on his Point Vs. Point podcast.

I have no idea who the other dude is, but more Gary is good Gary.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I generally have waved off the idea that Gareth is dumb for not knowing this stuff, since it's mostly really obscure. But then I hit one of the last ones I have left, the talking board episode, and he drops the "Ben Franklin wasn't a president?" bomb on me. :psyduck: I mean, come on Gary, kids know that poo poo.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Rodyle posted:

I generally have waved off the idea that Gareth is dumb for not knowing this stuff, since it's mostly really obscure. But then I hit one of the last ones I have left, the talking board episode, and he drops the "Ben Franklin wasn't a president?" bomb on me. :psyduck: I mean, come on Gary, kids know that poo poo.

On The Dollop at least, I think it's safe to say that Gareth is playing a character. The whole point of the podcast is him reacting with surprise to things.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Senor Tron posted:

On The Dollop at least, I think it's safe to say that Gareth is playing a character. The whole point of the podcast is him reacting with surprise to things.

Yeah, comedians know how to exaggerate their personas for comedy, but it's hard to tell with Gary

Also, drat, they've released 10 episodes in a month :allears:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I agree that hes playing it up a bit, but that Franklin thing seemed genuine.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'd almost put money on more people thinking Franklin was a president than not. It's a very common misconception.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeah, I guarantee you wouldn't have to go very far at all to find an educated person who thinks Ben Franklin was a president.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

There's a lot of things that neither Gary nor Dave know, which is one of the reasons I stopped listening to the podcast. The "let's act incredulous and dumbfounded by every single thing" was already forced and getting old, but it's a lot worse when they're doing it based on ignorance/misinformation. Especially when they're (mostly Dave) so goddamn smug about it.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Is Gary British or just his parents? That could explain the whole "didn't know that Franklin wasn't a President" thing.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I've run into many a person who have the "Well, if they're on our currency, they MUST HAVE BEEN A PRESIDENT" thought. Those Ben Franklin, Alexander Hamilton ringers.

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Is Gary British or just his parents?
Welsh. Though I think he was born in the states or immigrated pretty early in life.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wow, people back in the day were loving awful.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Yes... "back in the day."

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

quote:

The "guttersnipe Talleyrand" discussion

Oh my GOD

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I've only just started this recent episode, but if anyone really wants to know everything there is about Michael Larson you can watch this really long GSN documentary that I saw years ago at like 2 AM one night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzNMCXWCZzQ. It includes pretty funny reenactments and a step by step breakdown of the infamous episode. I'm glad they're covering him, he's one of my favorite weirdos.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

One of the rare instances where I know the topic before they get into it, but yeah it's a great story, perfect for a "Smallop"

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I know an insane amount about Shawn Nelson, aka the San Diego Tank Man, plus a fair amount about a few of their topics. It always makes the Dollop so much more fun.

I was almost giddy hearing how Gary was going to react to some of the odder turns in Nelson's story.

I'm distantly related to a pro wrestler with Münchhausen's that I can't wait to refer to the boys. Just wanna do a bit more research on it before I send it in, because some of the weirder stories about him might be down to family history.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I actually learned about the Resurrection Men from an episode of Sawbones a couple of months before The Dollop covered it. I saw it live, and Justin's reactions were a lot like how I imagine Gary's to be :allears:

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Holy poo poo this week's episode....holy poo poo. This is insane. These dudes just keep loving men in an attempt to stop men from loving men.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Forewarned is forearmed, gentlemen. The scouting missions will continue. We must continue to suck and to gently caress until the homo threat is eradicated.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

This Christmas, Leonardo DiCaprio is...Hugh Glass.

cuuuuuunnntttsss!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

uber_stoat posted:

Forewarned is forearmed, gentlemen. The scouting missions will continue. We must continue to suck and to gently caress until the homo threat is eradicated.

You're not sucking dick for fun, you're sucking dick for america, gentlemen

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

this is the best episode of The Dollop

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It was great but I don't know what Dave is talking about when he said there was nothing on the internet about it. Seems like there's a lot

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Holy poo poo this week's episode....holy poo poo. This is insane. These dudes just keep loving men in an attempt to stop men from loving men.

They have to go DEEPER undercover to get to the truth. Even if it means they have to gently caress every dude in Newport! Repeatedly!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

These days, every time I see someone complaining about law enforcement being ineffective or acting completely illogical in some movie, I remember The Dollop episodes and have a good laugh

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Is the audio in the new George Spencer episode weird for anyone else? Sort of tinny and echoing?

Jamwillinob
Jun 26, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

Is the audio in the new George Spencer episode weird for anyone else? Sort of tinny and echoing?

I'm hearing it too. At first I thought it was a live show recording.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
This finally clicked for me after listening to the Newport episode. But now I've listened to way too much of it over the last week or so and Dave's laugh is starting to give me Ricky Gervais vibes. :(

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
Psyched to see a Dollop thread. Was a big WTR fan and I loving love the Dollop. Been listening for a few months. Great poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

you are queen fakey of made up town