Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I like Rory​ Scovalds "ah ahs" from the 1904 Olympic Games episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's one with a boxer that has something approaching a happy ending, it was released around the same time as the horrific cremation episode. The whalesplosion is also relatively upbeat.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The jetpack episode should go without saying.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There are fewer ads on it than terrestrial radio or TV. Just imagine nearly 1/3rd of the show being advertising.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Dollop is the only podcast to talk about the other victims, the cane and the hat.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

beats for junkies posted:

The Straw Hat Riot episode might be the start of Gareth being incredulous at the importance of hats.

He reacts like some sort of country bumpkin that doesn't switch to a felt hat after labor day.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

other crazy people have lived interesting, colorful lives. Emperor Norton is just a guy who walks around calling himself an Emperor and everyone laughs at him

And they're also less well known.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What happened to Dave?

It sounds like he's bummed out about taking peoples healthcare away but instead of manning up to it he's claiming it's some hypothetical person. Own up to your healthcare thievery, Dave.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've seen fatter celebrity cats.

https://www.instagram.com/beanstheorangecat/

Apparently, Beans gained back all her weight after stopping the 5-2 diet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYqphYFFC8M

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Do we all agree on when Errol Flynn hit peak vileness? I'm leaning towards the slave trading.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Trabandiumium posted:

I hope Garreth doesn't read the twitter or he'll have an idea about what the topic is going to be about.

:golfclap:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think that's the only dollop with a reasonably happy ending, not counting reverse dollops.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sure, you can make a door thru one, but can you drive a car thru one?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I agree about the soundguy. I don't bother listening to the Dollop using headphones because it's too jarring.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The massacre one or the Errol Flynn one? Both were very rough.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's good to know they brought someone on, that it's just going to be an issue with ones on the road.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's probably too soon for them to do a dollop about the guy who was just busted for conducting trials of an experimental vaccine without getting government permission, but only because we're still finding out just how bad things are.

https://khn.org/news/years-before-heading-offshore-herpes-researcher-experimented-on-people-in-u-s/

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The insurance episode could have used Justin and Garrath because that was a depressing episode.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A Dollop about the German non-doctor who saved babies would terrify Garrath. He'd keep waiting for not-doctor to be a pedo rapist murderer instead of a guy who saved premature babies by popularizing incubators.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
For some reason I was surprised that Garrath didn't know hanging from the old barbed wire.

As I heard it, it goes down the ranks where the officers do things like sleep, get drunk, etc. Then it ends with the private. The first and last verse go something like this.

Hanging on the Old Barbed Wire posted:

If you want to find the general
I know where he is, I know where he is, I know where he is
If you want to find the general, I know where he is
He's hanging another medal on his chest.
I saw him, I saw him, hanging another medal on his chest
Hanging another medal on his chest.

If you want to find the private
I know where he is, I know where he is, I know where he is
If you want to find the private, I know where he is
He's hanging on the old barbed wire.
I saw him, I saw him, hanging on the old barbed wire
Hanging on the old barbed wire

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A distant second to the importance of hats is how much attention ship arrivals and departures used to get.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd be surprised if the dollop weren't already selling hats.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Jade Helm is a good episode that covers a population that's a big chunk of Trump's Base.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hope they do health insurance. Like, Sawbones has a depressing episode on health insurance. So just imagine how big a mood swing you'd get from the Dollop.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I figured it was going to be something about its early history or the state prison. Then I saw this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boise_homosexuality_scandal

quote:

The Boise homosexuality scandal refers to a sweeping investigation of a supposed "homosexual underground" in Boise, Idaho that started in 1955. Beginning with the arrest of three men in October 1955, the investigation broadened to encompass allegations that over 100 young men and teenage boys had been involved in sexual acts with a ring of adult homosexual men. By the time the investigation wound down in January 1957, some 1,500 people had been questioned, sixteen men faced charges, and fifteen of them were sentenced to terms ranging from probation to life in prison.

Reportage of the investigation and arrests set off a moral panic in Boise, fueled by incendiary editorials in the city's newspaper. Although framed in terms of "protecting children" from adult predators, the probe was not confined to investigating charges of men having sex with underage boys and some of those convicted and sentenced to prison were found guilty only of sexual encounters with other consenting adults. The scandal highlighted the tension between the perception of homosexuality as a mental illness requiring treatment and homosexual sex as a criminal act mandating punishment and led to an examination of the problems of juvenile delinquency.

The reasons behind both the start and the end of the investigation are unclear. In his seminal book on the scandal, The Boys of Boise: Furor, Vice and Folly in an American City, journalist and academician John Gerassi suggests that the investigation began as a means for the wealthy elite of Boise to assert and maintain economic control of the city and the state. He asserts that a gay millionaire known as "The Queen" was the target of the probe, although he was never charged. With the son of the loudest proponent of the investigation implicated, Gerassi suggests that the forces behind the probe realized that homosexuals were at every level of society and that their wealth and power would not necessarily insulate them, leading them to quietly halt the investigation.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This is already shaping up to be a favorite.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The biggest difference between Death of Stalin and a Dollop episode is the use of accents.

The director behind the film didn't even try capturing all the different accents in the USSR. So he cast actors with their own strong regional accents from Brooklyn to Yorkshire.

Meanwhile, Gareth would try doing a Russian accent for Stalin instead of a Georgian one. Then he would accidentally slip into an Italian accent and be stuck portraying Stalin that way thru out the podcast because that's the voice he could do. Even though Stalin dies early on with very few speaking lines.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Here's the green band trailer.

https://youtu.be/DIVchlt5E9Q

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
In 1989 the Simpsons had 28 million viewers an episode. In 1999 it was 13 million. In 2009 it was 7 million. In 2016 it was 4 million. It's been a pretty steady decline.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
SNL's also bad about hiring minorities in general. Over 90% of guests have been white, there are always more men than women. And as near as I can figure this might be the first season where they've hired more than 2 men and 1 woman of color.

This isn't for lack of funny female comedians or comedians of color or homosexual comedians, and I won't speak to their motives for this hiring pattern.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I can just imagine James Adomian saying that.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

I genuinely can't tell which of these is it. They all look equally horrible to ride. Is it the Zust?

I believe it's the Sizaire. The metal bodywork looks very limited even compared to the other vehicles. Just mudguards, a case over the engine, and a platform.

Fake edit: This is a model of what it would have looked like during the race.

Fake edit 2: Yup. The dollop episode said it was the Sizaire.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

I can’t stop thinking about the car that “didn’t have a body, it was just an engine with a sheet of metal over it.” What did that look like? Did it at least have seats?

Oops, I forgot the question. Yes, an upholstered car seat was bolted onto the chassis. Though it'd be fair to call it a car bench or a car Chesterfield loveseat.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Everyone's favorite military profiteer has a new gig lined up training the Chinese military. Some people are calling foul because China is a potential military rival but it's all good because Erik is a staunch anti-communist who loves money above all else.

I mean America, loves America.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...omepage%2Fstory

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The live PT Barnum episode has a moment that encapsulates a Dollop running theme.

(Dave says something that makes the audience hopeful)
Garrath "Oh, I've been this way before. [Is he our] hero? No, [he's] a villain"

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Lent probably expected Dave to get therapy like that hypothetical guy who wants to maybe start a war in Korea but wants a shiny gold medal even more. That non-existent dude has serious issues.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Was it cut from the youtube? That's how I caught it and I don't recall anything about Donald Trump loving his kids.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I thought it was a talk space ad that I missed.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Divorce Colonies is surprisingly not-unusually-depressing given the era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I really wish stitcher worked better with Mental Illness Happy Hour because the archives are what I'd use it for the most.