Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Wil Anderson is the best. If you like Dave Anthony and miss Walking the Room, listen to Wil Anderson's podcast. Dave Anthony is on every third episode or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
That bothers me too. I googled a few lines from the radioactive boy scout episode, and they came up word-for-word from articles online. He should know better.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
It's such a dumb mistake to make. All he needed to do was attribute the writers and keep the quoted sections to a reasonable length, and I don't think anyone would have had a problem with it.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I think ethically, nonfiction stories are put out there to be read, discussed, written about, podcaster about, etc. The Dollop is definitely adding to the discussion, which is better than recycling someone else's work whole. They shouldn't be reading entire pieces start-to-finish, which I think crosses a line. And obviously, writers should get credit for their words. But they could do basically the same show without issue if they just did it right.

Rodyle posted:

They were both kind of smug about it on Twitter and acted annoyed that though was made public.

Yeah. On Reddit, Dave posted a big list of sources with a comment like "think this would make for a good podcast?" But there's a big difference between citing your sources, which is a good practice, and attributing direct quotes.

wafflesnsegways fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 10, 2015

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Yeah, there's a big difference between showing a clip and using someone else's words as your own. Dave says it's obvious he's reading articles, but he never actually made that clear on the show. Still like Dave Anthony the podcaster, but he's just wrong on this one.

I think he will probably come around eventually. He's in fight mode right now. This is more apt than ever:

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Has he admitted that he's voting for Trump yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

tnimark posted:

I've always found Dave to be obnoxious to some degree. And I say that as someone who loves The Dollop and was a huge fan of WTR. It's always been a case of the positive aspects of the podcasts slightly outweighing the things Dave says that grate on me.

Agreed. He and Greg really balanced each other out well. One was a bright funny guy who was sure he was a genius, and the other was a bright funny guy who was sure he was an idiot.