Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm surprised Competitive Endurance Tickling isn't on that list because it's the loving craziest loving thing ever

The Dolphin is fantastic just for being a slow decent into madness but Competitive Endurance Tickling is like an onion that somehow starts insane and is crazier and crazier over time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

fatherboxx posted:

People love to complain about podcasters laughing too much in a mic, but I find Dave's cackling hyena sounds positively infectious.

I think that's Gary, Dave has the super smoky laugh that sounds like he's dying

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Who's gareth

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Clifford Clinton is maybe my favorite human being that I've ever heard of and that postscript to his life was maybe the single best moment of the podcast, especially Gareths reaction

Just

Just my most favorite thing

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

iirc that was actually a really common banner of the women's temperance movement, that wives would stay home and get hosed over both figuratively and literally by their alcoholic husbands who would simultaneously go around and gently caress any whore that moved in all the pubs around town, such that the wives would contract a whole myriad number of painful STDs

like there was a fairly convincing belief that outlawing booze would make it so women's husbands would stop giving them syphilis and crabs and poo poo

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

when gary realizes who kellogg was...top ten dollop moments

when dave drops the bomb about post...best dollop moment ever

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

uber_stoat posted:

Forewarned is forearmed, gentlemen. The scouting missions will continue. We must continue to suck and to gently caress until the homo threat is eradicated.

You're not sucking dick for fun, you're sucking dick for america, gentlemen

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

you are queen fakey of made up town

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jet Jaguar posted:

I think it may have broken poor Gareth.

Who?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

the omaha riot episode is such a bummer because i know that it could easily happen in america right now if murdoch got it into his skull to destroy a local government for his own nefarious ends

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Only in New Jersey could Action Park be a thing

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i find it impossible to care since at worst this is akin to a remix

sure, dave should attribute but the people that say he's "stealing" material when the appeal of the podcast is dave and gary's dynamic and reaction to the story being told is, well, silly

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rodyle posted:

Period. This is not defensible Toxx.

yeah, sure

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah the worm has kinda turned for me on this

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYiT-vLjhC4

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Copper Vein posted:

I've been banging through this podcast in a mostly chronological fashion and it seems like from the very earliest episodes they were talking up Australian tour dates.

Dave Anthony used to host a podcast called Walking the Room

Dave Anthony got big because Wil Anderson, an australian comic who hosts TOFOP, saw him and brought him on as a regular guest on TOFOP. TOFOP is huge in australia

this meant that dave anthony got really big in australia before he ever started the dollop

so when he started the dollop, before it got big here, it was huge in australia due to his association with TOFOP, that's why him and gary constantly references australia

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The funny thing is that the Atari story, while crazy and amazing, really pales in comparison to the sega/nintendo console wars of the late eighties/early nineties which happened almost immediately afterwards

Like id love to see Dave and/or gareth react to bullshit like "genesis does what nintendon't" or NIntendo's ludicrous chokehold on the console market after the Atari implosion or the crazy nonsense that happened behind the scenes between segas of America and japan or how sega, against all odds, was able to carve out market share against the big n only to make a trifecta of the worst business decisions ever with 32x, CD, and Saturn, or the crazy congressional hearings that almost destroyed both companies and eventually ended up making the esrb

Even the end to the Nintendo/sega beef is just great since it boils down to these two giants at each other's throats spending ludicrous time and money trying to destroy the other only for a spurned ex-girlfriend of both of them, some little-known Japanese hardware company called sony, came onto the screen and destroyed both effortlessly with a little thing called the playstation

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

when it comes to crazy videogame stories, pretty much everything after ET is much more interesting than what came before. I mean, Sega's whole "extreme" attitude with Sonic all tappin' his feet and poo poo helped usher in the cultural sensibilities of the 90s, and it's pretty much the only reason that Sega even had a chance against the dual monsters of the NES and SNES. Sega was able to market itself as cooler and edgier which is what the 90s were all about

And then you get stuff like same-day announcement and release of the Saturn, or the implosion and death of the Dreamcast and Sega as a console manufacturer, or Microsoft's hilariously mixed entry into the console market: going from a technically revolutionary but deadweight system that they immediately abandoned in favor of a forced, immediate upgrade to the seventh generation that was so accelerated and so jumping-the-gun that microsoft ended up having to pay literal billions in hardware failures. But it still worked because of Sony's $600 price tag and dumb poo poo like the "working two jobs"comment and the 18 month advantage that the 360 had, combined with the revolutionary improvements to Live reversing Microsoft's fortunes to go from distant last place to clear first place and definitive dominance in a nine-year span. Which Microsoft then somehow pissed away all of that goodwill in, like, gently caress...a two month timespan? with the announcement of the policies they were implementing in the Xbone permanently, irrevocably tainting their brand in a way that they'll never recover from this console cycle. Like the Xbone poo poo is so crazy and such an amazing confluence of the worst possible business decision made at every possible time one could make a business decision that Sony ended up getting heaps of crazed praise simply by literally going "yeah, we're...not gonna do any of that"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Maduo posted:

That stuff is interesting in a History Of Videogames sense, but compared to other dollops the Atari story lines up better. The 599 US dollars and always online xbone stuff is dumb and funny in their own context, but it's not like Kaz Hirai and Don Mattrick were doing rails of coke in an abandoned roller rink. If anything there's some large chunks of the Atari story that were left out, like how the people actually making the games for the 2600 made almost no money off them and got no credit, or the real sputtering tail end Atari stuff like a couple of people have mentioned.

Sure I can see that, but if that's the bar then the 90s console wars stuff fits totally into that box. it had kalinske paying for a plane to fly a banner that said "Buy a Genesis" specifically over a spot where Nintendo executives were playing golf! so petty, and weird

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

cumia is a literal racist girlfriend beating piece of poo poo, with possibly the worst fandom ever that make total assholes like gamergate look reasonable

is dave an overreactionary baby? yes, he totally loving is. was he totally loving justified in doing what he did and reacting how he did to save his mental sanity, at the very least, not even mentioning how he'd probably get a legion of loving death threats and outright violence-threatening abuse from cumia's shithead followers, encouraged by his rear end in a top hat leadership? yes

like seriously nobody should be on cumia's side here. the sympathy should rest entirely with dave and i'd rather him delete all of his social network profiles over have another meltdown spurred on by crazy, awful assholes

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Illinois Smith posted:

Speaking as a clueless foreigner who's only familiar with Philly through The Best Show, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, their lovely NBA team and this podcast: What the gently caress is wrong with this city?

You know that shithead friend you have that tells you when you first meet him "Yeah, I'm an rear end in a top hat" and then uses that as justification to be the worst human being ever? "I told you I was an rear end in a top hat, brah!" he yells as he gets super drunk and picks a fight with the beefiest dude in the bar, or aggressively hits on any woman near him no matter who they are or whatever the context. The one who always seems to get you on the verge of getting loving arrested whenever you hang out with him.

Yeah, Philadelphia is that guy, but a whole fuckin city. In fact that shithead friend was probably Philly born and raised

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Just checked this out after a recommendation from Jon Bois. Dave is such a fantastic storyteller, and he has a great comedic rapport with Gary. I've been going through anything related to baseball and Philadelphia so far, think I'll start branching out a bit more.

Wait where did Jon bois mention the dollop

Btw his series pretty good is basically the dollop but mostly about sports check it out

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

yeah rory scovel owned

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

mike12345 posted:

There's some Twitter blow-up over homophobic slurs. I don't know, haven't listened to it yet. But Dave Anthony really needs to grow some skin or plain ignore social media.

haven't seen anything on twitter

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I've found that smallops are very hit or miss but yeah this oen was great

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

no, we're better

we don't literally own people any more and by and large don't treat abrahamic text as history, not to mention sophistication in medical practices and hygiene

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

rotinaj posted:

Debt slavery, for-profit prison systems, police brutality, sovereign citizens, megachurches, anti-vaxxers, homeopathy.

These were all problems in the 1800s besides arguably vaxxers, and I'm sure there were people arguing against any medical treatment as against gods plan oh wait yes there was since they literally just did that smallpox smollop

Seriously arguing that we are not better now than the years in which it was legal to send your ten year old to work in the coal mines for twelve hours a day for literal pennies on the dollar is absurd

It's an absurd nonsense argument rooted in an irrational cynicism

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

abraham linksys posted:

There's a video of the second Chicago show, about Ten Cent Beer Night, which I am super excited to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxo2FJ-cskU

They did a repeat? Boo.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Let's not revise history. Disco was one of the most overplayed and aggressively, annoyingly dominant music fads of its decade and of all time. There's a reason the '70s are known as the decade of disco, it was so overplayed and so specifically and exclusively formed around its own culture (disco halls, which were literally just dance clubs that exclusively played disco, for instance) that it made itself extremely dislikeable. It also marketed itself as aggressively "counterculture", which made its mainstream dominance even more aggravating because you had a bunch of people rebelling against the system, maaaaaaan being directly associated with the most popular music genre of its day. It would be like if people held up Taylor Swift music as some treatise against the entrenched American oligarchy.

Yes, a lot of hatred against disco was because of racism and homophobia, but it was also because it was loving everywhere. For every Earth, Wind, and Fire you had a zillion lovely white dudes with perms using drum machines.

Basically disco was the 70s version of EDM or dubstep. It was everywhere, there was a super bothersome and annoying culture around it that held it up as "subverting the paradigm" when in fact it was one of the strongest voices reinforcing it, it was totally and often incorrectly used by people trying to catch onto the latest music fad, its fans were often the absolute worst people ever, and the lovely artists outnumbered the good ones by a lot.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm glad The Dollop is now culturally relevant enough to be regularly referenced in other media like it ain't a thing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I took a huge break from this podcast after the plagiarism thing, glad to see its still as good as ever.

I still think the best episode of the dollop is ten cent beer night or the dolphin.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

A couple of years ago the operator of one of those "biggest badass in history" websites, you know the type, where they use super casual or hyperbolic language for biographies of historical persons, called out dave because basically dave read out huge sections of a couple of his articles without attribution in a couple of dollops.

If I remember specifically it was a Thing because this dude himself had a podcast which was just like reading his articles in a barely contained monotone or something

Anyways I remember being on Daves side initially, but Dave acted really childish and overly defensive about it which made me less willing to defend him (as Dave is about Literally Any Criticism Ever) and it made me feel uncomfortable listening to it until I eventually stopped

He apologized and stopping doing it, I think he has a researcher now and that's why there's sources on every podcast, so its not a thing and hasn't been for years

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean to be fair the initial argument that Dave used, which I agree with, is that the story isn't why you listen to the dollop, the story is basically a framing device for Dave and Gareth to riff off of. Like 90% of their stories are collated from very publicly available information and almost all of them have wikipedia articles containing everything dave and Gareth go over in the podcast itself, and that was essentially what Dave was reading off of. His argument,and I agreed with, was basically that the riffs and interactions between Gareth and Dave, which aren't plagiarized, is what you're coming to the dollop for in the first place, not necessarily the story.

But then Dave did his usual thing of overreacting and basically pretending like the accusation itself was patently absurd and had no merit and that's when I felt Real Uncomfortable defending him or listening to his podcast

Basically the thing about Dave Anthony you have to learn is that he's a good dude with some severely bad mental issues from a real hosed up childhood which makes him routinely the most overdefensive manchild in the loving world, and he can be and often is incredibly loving vindictive and petty over the mildest things. Being a fan of his means you just sort of make peace that he's like that and just getting over it

I'm glad Gareths his partner in this because boy does Dave need a humble person with the biggest sense of patience in the loving world to prevent him from imploding

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 12, 2017

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

He talks about it on his standup and Walking the Room, the precious podcast he did which is very hard to listen to unless you want to hear two people with barely contained hatred for each other interacting. His album is called Hothead for a reason

If I'm remembering correctly his dad was a verbally, emotionally, and possibly physically abusive paranoid wingnut who subscribed to basically any conspiracy theory that came around. It's probably why Daves best work is on a podcast about setting the record straight on what actually happened and how terrible white people are; his dad is, to hear him tell it, a racist
Possibly insane abusive piece of poo poo who is willing to believe anything as long as it paints Jews or black people as the culprit

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's weird to think I know about a cat's entire lifespan from mentions on a history comedy podcast.

I know José better than I know some pets my family has owned.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gareths mom dropping that nickname burn is among the best things I've heard in my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I kinda want them to do a dollop on Caro, but I wonder how much actual meat is on that particular bone.

They really love doing dollops about people doing unlicensed medical procedures, though, and its crazy to think that some dude with no actual loving experience was performing surgeries THIS DECADE.