Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's probably better for him because he was having a lot of meltdowns on there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I agree but it was starting to get to the point where I was concerned for him

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I would definitely listen to their Star Trek podcast.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dave showed up back on Twitter today

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's not saying suspended. He probably just deleted it again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Probably less than that, given he deleted his Twitter a week or so ago, then came back, then apparently deleted it again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He's back again

https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/1345834491428786181?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dave: 'Now is definitely the time to stan for a guy who made his 9 year old daughter not eat for 6 hours because he was forcing her to figure out how to use a can opener'

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yikes

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I've listened to Roderick on Friendly Fire (his war movie podcast), which includes the two guys who do the Greatest Generation Star Trek podcast, and he comes off as kind of a weird libertarian type a lot of the time

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I've also listened to that, but not that often because they tend to go on long tangents that take up half the episode at times.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

That describes half of podcasts these days, or at least the ones I listen to. Whenever I find one of those, my criteria for whether or not I keep going is 50% “is the topic interesting” and 50% “do I like the hosts’ banter/chemistry enough to be entertained?” I do tend to skip a lot of Omnibus eps, though, especially since the topic is always such a grab bag.
Yeah that podcast in particular it's better to just choose by topic

and yes I think a lot of good podcasts come down to how entertaining the hosts are. If they aren't very entertaining it's probably not worth it unless you really, really like the content

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/1345878453518618624?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol ok.

so who the gently caress is bean man? i don't follow twitter as much as i should. like he was a weird boomer dad and than he turned out to be a weird edgelord bigot years ago and probably still is?
John Roderick is a musician who currently does a couple of podcasts, including one with Ken Jennings.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

He's all over the MaxFun network so he's pretty connected to a lot of podcasts and apparently Dave. He does music for a lot of them too. Alongside the Ken Jennings podcast he also does a war movies podcast with the Greatest Generation guys that I was just getting ready to check out. My Brother, My Brother and Me already announced that they're distancing themselves from him and getting new theme music. All cause he had to post about those beans.
Yeah the first thing I thought about was Friendly Fire

Honestly he's the worst part of that show so if they decided to ditch him I would be fine with that

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He's pretty much the definition of 'extremely online'

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Belan posted:

I wonder what the Greatest Generation guys are going to do about Friendly Fire now. :S
My guess is that John leaves, because they are very sensitive to their own gently caress ups and I can't imagine he sticks around. Neither of them has Tweeted anything about this whole fiasco today, but they are not on Twitter much anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/GreatestTrek/status/1345960078847873025?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Is that the first time they’ve covered that topic? I thought they had already.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Maybe that’s what I’m thinking of

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

HBO has a documentary series coming out about The Dale, which was covered in an old episode. It releases on the 31st.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The HBO doc about The Dale is now live

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

The story is really interesting but I hate the style of the doc.
It’s a little strange

I’m also getting this weird vibe from the doc like they are treating her as a trans trailblazer when she was a con artist?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Is that one of the ones they don't save? If so, that's disappointing because it sounds really funny.
Yes the live ones are not saved, which I find a little strange since pre-COVID they would post all of their live episodes

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

I get a scary vibe from Dave sometimes. Like, someday he could commit a murder-suicide to spare his family from climate change. I don't think he will, but I certain can't imagine Laurie Kilmartin or Patton Oswalt killing their kids.
I do think he really needs therapy

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Truck Nutz is pretty amazing for 'WTF' episodes

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

swickles posted:

Piedras Negras Jail Break is my go to WTF episode now.
That one's good, or similarly the Falcon and the Snowman

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

Yes a new episode about baseball!

Well involving baseball. And i hope Dave does do an episode on the rules of the game at point
For people who don't know baseball?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That’s probably a four hour podcast minimum

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

prefect posted:

His Civil War documentary spent an awful lot of time trying to make the Confederacy look like they were good guys.
I watched it like a year ago and I really don’t feel like it did

They did explain the parts about how poor rural people were forced to fight for the Confederacy on behalf of rich plantation owners, but I never felt like they hand waved the South

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Vietnam one is good

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i heard it has issues because it doesn't cover everything but over all its great.
I appreciated the beginning parts that went into Vietnam's history under French rule and the post-WWII push for independence which was denied by the Allied Powers. Needless to say, Ho Chi Minh didn't appreciate that after believing that the US would get them out from under France's thumb.

Like you can see how we basically took over France's colonial project and it went to hell very fast.

To me the most important part is the idea that the whole thing was doomed to failure from the beginning and was never going to succeed, which I think is important because as we know, a lot of right-wing attitudes regarding Vietnam were that it was winnable but we were too weak and gave up or whatever.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's very clear to me that a lot of higher-ups in the Executive Branch legitimately bought into the Domino Theory, because that was the primary justification for staying in Vietnam well after it was obvious that the outcome was going to be bad.

It's not at all different from why we have been dragging our feet forever with staying in Afghanistan when it's very clear that we are never going to be able to create a stable country there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

As a baseball nerd I knew about some of the Billy Martin poo poo but he was even crazier than I thought, goddamn

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

You can tell that Dave has a real love of baseball because I think he really brings it on anything that is baseball related.
Yes I've been enjoying all of the baseball episodes we've gotten this year

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I want to say earlier last year Dave said he wanted to do one on Michael Bloomberg but I don't know if he forgot, or what

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Biden would make sense, although that Clarence Thomas confirmation episode was a lot about Biden

I doubt it would be Kamala, she hasn't been around that long

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Where the hell did Garet get the word "anywhosesylby" instead of "anyways" from? I've never heard anyone say it but him.
No clue, I think it may have been a spur of the moment thing he came up with

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wow, Dave just keeps finding proto-Trumps, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A listener on Twitter made a bunch of graphs and charts in honor of the show's 500th episode (thread)

https://twitter.com/vicbrown89/status/1453120676219404290?s=20