Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
In a new twist on the continuing audio problems with the podcast, the new episode features Dave exclusively in my right channel and Gareth entirely in the left. It’s like I’m between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

I would like to remind you all that your assholes still belong to Popobawa

That was the "Ghosts" episode, right? I need to listen to that again.

Also, that's the first time I've ever seen that word in print and that's not what I expected.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I really enjoyed the Three Jesuses episode but I'm bummed that Dave just read someone else's work more or less word-for-word. (Not for the first time, either, from the same author.) An author who also has a podcast where someone reads the articles out loud.

So if you find those stories interesting you should probably check out DamnInteresting.com for more (though without comedians riffing over top of them). Lots of cool stuff there.

Also Dave write your own poo poo or have someone write some poo poo for you. Preferably with Irishmen involved. I seem to remember Dave occasionally thanking someone for helping him put stuff together in the early episodes, but not as much recently.

edit -- I guess I should say, rather than 'Dave write your own poo poo' it should be 'get permission to read something from the author' and 'attribute it at the end of the podcast'.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 2, 2015

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I'm not surprised. That Three Jesus episode was pretty egregious. It was the first time I made the connection as its such a distinct story, but then its easy to see the other cases. I didn't know the part about the Patreon and Dave making claims about 'endless research' (sure Dave).

Too bad there isn't some kind of truce because there are a lot of cool stories on DI but I can see why the DI guy would be cheesed. Dave is big into writer's rights (I remember him ragging on Patton Oswalt for liking Daredevil on Netflix because of some health insurance stuff) so I was a little surprised he was so overt about it.

edit -- especially considering how rampant joke stealing and whatnot is in the comedy world.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 9, 2015

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

Welp, if you did want to listen to those episodes, you should probably get downloading now

Those are some great episodes, too. Especially Killdozer.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I wouldn't be so sure that it would be totally okay with everyone, considering DI literally puts out that content as podcasts as well. I think if you're going to crib that heavily from someone's work you should ask first, especially if they are occupying the same medium as you. Facts are facts historically speaking but when you're taking several sentences wholesale you're using someone else's words and they should get a say. I'm not talking legally, just as creators dealing with creators. Attribution should be the absolute minimum, though.

I do recommend the DI podcast, for what its worth. It doesn't have the comic wrapper but the stories are still cool/interesting. This is like watching two friends fight. (Well, friends who have no idea I exist and that I simply watch from afar wait this is a bad analogy nevermind)

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Gareth's story about getting high and going to the airport (and not being able to admit it to Dave) might be the funniest thing I've heard on the podcast in a while.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

A third party weighs in on the plagiarism stuff. Basically echos a lot of the conversation in the thread.

Also, all of the podcasts (or at least all the ones I checked) have sources now. Besides being more responsible, it's an easy way to do a little more reading on interesting stories. Which is cool.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I knew the 'bi weekly' thing was going to come back with a vengeance. I couldn't help but laugh at Gareth's quiet "... I'm ready whenever" after he jumped the gun introducing himself at the beginning of the podcast.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

New episode is the best one ever made if you're into Irish voices.

My favourite voice was Gareth's 'Irish accent pretending not to be Irish'. So dumb and great.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

There's definitely more than one person complaining, but really,

AndrewP posted:

Nobody has a thinner skin than Dave Anthony
and

head58 posted:

I get the feeling Dave would be a very difficult person to be friends with.
To be fair, I'm sure putting out a podcast brings all kinds of complaints about sound/mic quality, vocal fry and uptalk, weird laughs and vocal tics, etc.. There are lots of compliments to go with the bitching no doubt but I'm sure it gets tiring listening to people constantly picking apart your poo poo. You'd think Dave has been out there as an entertainer long enough to not worry about it, but that's easy for me to say as someone nobody gives a poo poo about.

I wonder if Dave will re-post the podcast later, assuming that people have learned their lesson or something.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I've never suggested it because it does contain a couple of murders, but I've always thought the 3X murders of the 1930s would make a good Dollop. It starts out weird and just gets bonkers by the end. This is a lovely angelfire site but it does a good job of laying out the story.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I'm not sure what I liked more in the last podcast: Wil Anderson's bizarre Russian accent, or his preoccupation with how 'successful' the tours were despite the terribleness surrounding them.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Gyges posted:

Does the Dollop take suggestions for future episodes? I'd love to hear their reaction to the Petticoat Affair, especially since Dave would have to throw in some Andrew Jackson insane back story to explain the thing.

Email thedolloppodcast@gmail.com. They don't like suggestions via Facebook or Twitter or whatever, just the email.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

head58 posted:

You're no fun at all.

True. But then when Dave inevitably blocks you, it makes it harder to read his twitter rants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I haven't re-listened to it since it came out, but I remember The Jackson Cheese pretty fondly. No big stakes or social injustice, just a bonkers story of a big fuckin piece of cheese.